About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Possible Agoraphobia

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 dolphingirl22

dolphingirl22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 10:58 PM

Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone here has agoraphobia or fear of leaving their home. When I was younger I enjoyed going places but now, at 45, I panic anytime I leave my home. I only go to work and the grocery store. Last year my husband went through cancer and he still has issues and I was afraid to leave home. I have a very stressful corporate job and I am stressed and full of anxiety. It seems the older I get the worse it becomes.

• Guests

Posted 09 January 2017 - 04:02 AM

I use the "feel the fear and do it anyway" principle.  Every time you beat it it has less hold, and it really works.

I won't wish you luck because it's not luck you need, but determination.  You can do this, if you want to.

• dolphingirl22 likes this

#3 Guest_Bony49_*

Guest_Bony49_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:02 AM

My experience exactly
If you want to keep in touch kik me katy49 or just pm on here
I'm struggling and it's awful

#4 Guest_Bony49_*

Guest_Bony49_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:05 AM

I don't know why it's getting worse. I think I tried my own version of "exposure therapy" for years and it didn't work to reduce anxiety but I was at least leaving the house. Then I thought why should I go out if I hate it and it doesn't help.

Now I need to work more and I can't. I tried looking for jobs from home and I'm still trying.

#5 ~pixie angelheart~

~pixie angelheart~

Omniscient

• Supporter
  • 5,855 posts
  • LocationThe Unicorn Forest 🦄

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:00 AM

I've dealt with some level of agoraphobia all of my life, even as a child.  I remember when I was 8 that I cried every single day for months because I didn't want to leave the house to go to school.  :unsure:  I still have a lot of agoraphobia, and yes, it has gotten worse as I've gotten older, however, I have a family and things I know that absolutely need to be done every day whether I'm scared of leaving the house or not, so I do what I need to do regardless.  Usually, this means leaving my house for some period of time almost every day.  Driving alone creates extreme anxiety in me, but still I do it because I don't live inside the city limits, and I have to drive everywhere.  Basically, I live out in the country with nothing around me but mountains and fields.  Even though I do end up leaving the house almost every day, it has never gotten any easier for me.  I still have to "talk to myself" almost every single day before I can muster up the courage to actually get in the car!  :unsure:  My old therapist used to say that I was a "pull yourself up by the bootstraps" kind of person, though, and that I had a will of steel (which he didn't always appreciate!).  According to him, I was one of the most functional, dysfunctional individuals that he had ever worked with! :lol:

a3653a6f-b7d4-47f6-be4c-f178acf7d8d8_zps

Ethical Vegan for 9+ Years

Gluten-Free

Current Diagnosis: AN (restricting type)

51-years-old

5'5.5"

CW:  97 lbs (BMI 15.9)

recovering from recovery...

LW: 87 lbs (BMI 14.3)

HW: 165 lbs (pregnancy)

GW: 90 lbs (BMI 14.7)

~new accountability~

http://www.myproana.com/index.php/topic/1080730-pixie-dust/?p=18332906

~my pics~

http://www.myproana.com/index.php/gallery/album/5861-pics-of-me/

#6 freetobeme

freetobeme

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • LocationWithin myself

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:35 PM

I am getting more this way but I'm just afraid to be alone if something happens to me. Cardiac issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • ~pixie angelheart~ likes this

I have no idea what the exact motivation is that brings all of us here but do know it is widely varied.  I pass judgement on no one.  Each person has their own story to tell and experiences that justify their situation.  Peace to all and may you find your tomorrow better than today.

5'8"

CW 186.0

GW 130.0

1st goal 175.0 

2nd goal 165.0

3rd goal  155.0

4th goal  145.0

5th goal  140.0

{I want to be perfectly pink}

#7 Guest_Kalan_*

Guest_Kalan_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:40 PM

Not really, but I sympathise. I have a fear of going to strange places. To me taking a different route is a great challenge.

Imagine a videogame with a map where only the area you have explored in not black. I rarely venture to the black in real life. In video games though I am very brave and love to clear out all the black obsessively.

#8 BadIdea

BadIdea

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • LocationMichigan, US

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:35 AM

I've had this for 3.5 years now. I've been working on getting myself out alone more, but not enough. I live alone but I still rely on my mom to drive me most places. I can't even make myself go for a walk around the block (not that winter's the best time for that). The worst part is that I'm Catholic but I'm a hopeless backslider because I can't get myself to mass (oh how I wish I had church friends). You can imagine my guilt, haha.

Would anybody be interested in having a group (or just doing it in this thread) where we can give/get support and cheerleading for getting out of the house alone?
How embarrassing.

#9 Guest_Kalan_*

Guest_Kalan_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2017 - 02:58 AM

I've had this for 3.5 years now. I've been working on getting myself out alone more, but not enough. I live alone but I still rely on my mom to drive me most places. I can't even make myself go for a walk around the block (not that winter's the best time for that). The worst part is that I'm Catholic but I'm a hopeless backslider because I can't get myself to mass (oh how I wish I had church friends). You can imagine my guilt, haha.

Would anybody be interested in having a group (or just doing it in this thread) where we can give/get support and cheerleading for getting out of the house alone?

That sounds sweet! :)

• BadIdea likes this

#10 ~pixie angelheart~

~pixie angelheart~

Omniscient

• Supporter
  • 5,855 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:20 AM

I can't even make myself go for a walk around the block (not that winter's the best time for that).

I have the exact same problem, but I've always attributed this particular manifestation as having more to do with my social anxiety and experiencing a strong sense of discomfort of having other people watch me exercise in any fashion.  I've never actually thought of it as being part of my problem with agoraphobia, but I guess there's probably an element of that, too.  After all, I also have trouble just going out on my back deck, front porch, or even down the driveway to my mailbox.  :unsure: 

• dolphingirl22 and BadIdea like this

Gluten-Free

51-years-old

5'5.5"

~new accountability~

~my pics~

#11 BadIdea

BadIdea

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • LocationMichigan, US

Posted 14 January 2017 - 08:50 PM

I have the exact same problem, but I've always attributed this particular manifestation as having more to do with my social anxiety and experiencing a strong sense of discomfort of having other people watch me exercise in any fashion. I've never actually thought of it as being part of my problem with agoraphobia, but I guess there's probably an element of that, too. After all, I also have trouble just going out on my back deck, front porch, or even down the driveway to my mailbox. :unsure:

When I think about it, there's social anxiety involved in it for me too. I live in a 150 unit apartment building so there are always people hanging around (not so many in the evening/night) & even though they're harmless, it's intimidating. And this is disabled/elderly housing, so a lot of folks that hang out around the building like to gossip (not much else to do, you know?)

Sometimes I wonder if my agoraphobia is actually social- and driving-phobia, but I question myself about everything, so who knows?
How embarrassing.

#12 itsmyturn

itsmyturn

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:31 PM

I dont know if i have agoraphobia because i have no choice but to leave my home- but i prefer to be at home by myself if given the opportunity. Like today, I wanted to go to our new outlet mall, and i needed to go get stuff at Wal-Mart. I went but it took alot of guilt tripping myself to get out of the house. I dont talk to anyone either. I do what i need to do, and leave. Not social at all. If someone speaks to me, Im always very friendly, but i dont go out of my way to speak to others. Theres so much scary stuff happening in the world, and you just dont know who you are talking to. I would much rather be laying on my bed watching tv or on the internet. But, life with three kids is calling.

#13 Guest_Flowering Cactus_*

Guest_Flowering Cactus_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2017 - 04:51 AM

I dont know if i have agoraphobia because i have no choice but to leave my home- but i prefer to be at home by myself if given the opportunity. Like today, I wanted to go to our new outlet mall, and i needed to go get stuff at Wal-Mart. I went but it took alot of guilt tripping myself to get out of the house. I dont talk to anyone either. I do what i need to do, and leave. Not social at all. If someone speaks to me, Im always very friendly, but i dont go out of my way to speak to others. Theres so much scary stuff happening in the world, and you just dont know who you are talking to. I would much rather be laying on my bed watching tv or on the internet. But, life with three kids is calling.

To me that sounds like quite extreme introvert rather than agoraphobia, but I'm not telling you what to think!  Just that I can be like that, hating the busy-ness of supermarkets and shopping centres and even struggling in my small town sometimes when there are queues and especially at the weekends when there are a lot of tourists.  

I'm able to stay in a lot, being alone and on disability, and tbh it gets too much at times, I can be very lonely, but I don't make friends easily so loneliness seems to be the default state.  I do volunteer, go to choir and sing in a small group, but rarely is anyone interested in seeing me socially.

#14 ~pixie angelheart~

~pixie angelheart~

Omniscient

• Supporter
  • 5,855 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 07:28 AM

Sometimes I wonder if my agoraphobia is actually social- and driving-phobia, but I question myself about everything, so who knows?

For me, I think it's a lot of all 3. :unsure: 

Gluten-Free

51-years-old

5'5.5"

~new accountability~

~my pics~

#15 Guest_Bony49_*

Guest_Bony49_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2017 - 01:35 AM

Yes
Kik kayt49 or just here is good too

#16 Guest_Bony49_*

Guest_Bony49_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2017 - 01:39 AM

I have elements of social anxiety and OCD thoughts like what if this or that happens. And just not being used to it, if that makes sense. Like a block for no reason. Imagine if you're on a diving board for the first time and someone says jump well your brain just won't let you because it says falling is a terrible idea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users