About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Post Partum Depression and Anxiety (PPDA)

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 cheapdate

cheapdate

Choose your own title! PM Admin or Bibs.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,864 posts
  • LocationNumber 12, Grimmauld Place

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:55 PM

Anyone else diagnosed with PPDA?

I think a support group would be great on here. I feel so alone in this but I know there are others out there who have gone through/are going through the same thing.

• Sora likes this

"For small creatures such as we
the vastness is bearable only through love."
Carl Sagan, Contact

#2 Jem6409

Jem6409

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 07:51 AM

I went through it with all three of my children. It's one of the hardest things ever. But doing much better now with help from a great doctor.
If you need a friend, feel free to pm me.
  • cheapdate likes this

#3 whatacleverusername

whatacleverusername

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 04:01 PM

I did not have PPD, which we were shocked about haha. My anxiety, however, absolutely skyrocketed after my son was born. I am hesitant to call it PPA though, since I had anxiety before my son; it just got infinitely worse after having a baby and breastfeeding for almost a year. I'd still definitely like to see a support group for parents with anxiety/depression, though. :)

• cheapdate and K13lorraine9 like this

#4 gej2e

gej2e

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 01:04 AM

I was diagnosed with PPD and PPOCD. I felt really terrible for awhile, but things improved with therapy and meds for a little while. I have dealt with a lot of emotional issues throughout my life, but that was really the hardest one because, even today, I feel like the first year of my daughter's life I was not totally present and able to appreciate her as a baby. I'm definitely here for anyone that needs to talk or vent!

• cheapdate likes this

#5 cheapdate

cheapdate

• Members
  • 11,864 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 03:40 PM

Update:

I have bipolar I (knew before pregnancy and was on meds) and anxiety disorder (also knew pre-pregnancy). I am on meds again and things are going a little bit better. I am able to sleep at night again (still not able to sleep next to baby though) but unfortunately celexa did not help my anxiety like it used to so I am on no SSRIs right now and still experiencing the skyrocketed anxiety.

I am all for starting a PM support group or KIK support group. It is nice to know I am not alone in this and a positive future is out there.

Carl Sagan, Contact

#6 K13lorraine9

K13lorraine9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 03:09 PM

i really will like to to see a support group for parents with anxiety/depression

i struggle with this since 3 years ago when my baby girl born

Dear Stomach:
you're BORED not hungry
SO SHUT UP

My heart says "chocolate and bread"
but my jeans says: FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WOMEN, EAT A SALAD!

I KEEP TRYING TO LOSE WEIGHT... BUT IT KEEPS FINDING ME! ajajajaj

hw: 196 lb (89kg) pregnancy 10/2013  

lw: 100 lb (45kg) few months on 2008 and 2010

sw: 189 lb (86kg) 01/2016  

cw: 167 lb (76kg) 01/2017  

gw1: 158 lb (72kg) -_- current 02/2017

gw2: 149 lb (68kg) :mellow: 

gw3: 143 lb (65kg) ^_^ 

gw4: 136 lb (62kg) :) 

gw5: 132 lb (60kg) ;) 

gw6: 127 lb (58kg) :D 

gw7: 121 lb (55kg) :lol: 

gw8: 110 lb (50kg) B) 

#7 cheapdate

cheapdate

• Members
  • 11,864 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 11:17 AM

i really will like to to see a support group for parents with anxiety/depression

i struggle with this since 3 years ago when my baby girl born

Any suggestions on how you would like to create a support group?

• K13lorraine9 likes this

Carl Sagan, Contact

#8 K13lorraine9

K13lorraine9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 12:04 PM

hi

i hope u have a good day

happy valentines

and about that i really dont know, but i would like to, we could start with some topic about some issue (related to PPD and anxiety) something specific like a question and if someone else have another question or something that want to talk about, i dotn know its just some random idea that came to me, obviously u have more time here than i and know about all this rules about start a topic and that things that i really dont know, but some group where we can share ideas, tips or just comment about a situation i dont know my head is really messy this days, sorry if i bother someone with this

because in my case my depression trigger my ED and that affects my family and the relationship that i have with my husband and daughter because instead of being spending my time with them im in bed and restricting or in super binge mode and feeling like sh*t for do that,so its like a vicious cycle

i dont know if someone else feels this or have this same issue, i dont have friends in the " real world" and the few ones from college or high school dont have kids yet and or even married (and i barely see/talk them) so its really difficult talk with someone that its not related to this things (own family, childrens, husband/partner and all that), feels like a fish out of the water

Dear Stomach:
you're BORED not hungry
SO SHUT UP

#9 cheapdate

cheapdate

• Members
  • 11,864 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 01:51 PM

hi

i hope u have a good day

happy valentines

and about that i really dont know, but i would like to, we could start with some topic about some issue (related to PPD and anxiety) something specific like a question and if someone else have another question or something that want to talk about, i dotn know its just some random idea that came to me, obviously u have more time here than i and know about all this rules about start a topic and that things that i really dont know, but some group where we can share ideas, tips or just comment about a situation i dont know my head is really messy this days, sorry if i bother someone with this

because in my case my depression trigger my ED and that affects my family and the relationship that i have with my husband and daughter because instead of being spending my time with them im in bed and restricting or in super binge mode and feeling like sh*t for do that,so its like a vicious cycle

i dont know if someone else feels this or have this same issue, i dont have friends in the " real world" and the few ones from college or high school dont have kids yet and or even married (and i barely see/talk them) so its really difficult talk with someone that its not related to this things (own family, childrens, husband/partner and all that), feels like a fish out of the water

I definitely understand what you mean. My ED definitely affects my relationship with my husband and my parenting skills. Sometimes I restrict and I can barely find the energy to keep on playing with my son but I push through it and when he naps I finally lay down and let the tiredness take over me. And then some days I am just soooo stressed and anxious about being a parent I binge eat when my son naps. It's been completely up and down, up and down. And one of the things that really killed me was my sleeping issues. I say "was" but I actually mean "is." When my son was born I was hit with anxiety induced insomnia. I am currently at my parents' house actually because I didn't sleep for 3 days straight and started going crazy (literally. I have bipolar with psychotic episodes and I started seeing things from the lack of sleep). So my husband and I decided I needed to be somewhere I could get REAL help. My husband felt so helpless because he wanted to help so badly but with his current work schedule he couldn't help the way I needed it. :(

It's been a rocky road. I am on medications and I am hoping that I stabilize soon but I know that some women have gone through this for years. I do love my son with all my heart. He is my little sunflower. But the insomnia and battle with my ED and sometimes my heart just breaks because I have so much anxiety so I end up crying for an hour straight - it all hurts so bad.

Carl Sagan, Contact

#10 K13lorraine9

K13lorraine9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 02:20 PM

i feel u

when im so stressed my system or mind just shut down my feelings and my ED its soooo in control and i dont get to empathize with my daughter and husband and only want to binge eat or just restrict and be there sit on the couch like if nothing happen and its really frustrating because i dont get any connection and dotn feel anything doesnt matter what they say or do im in a numb state and that hurts me because i love my daughter to death and i feel that shes growing so quick and im just losing this moments and my husband is the love of my life but he really dont understand and just complain about how bad mother and cold heart i can be sometimes, and i cry because its so frustrating that he doesnt understand me, i really want to change but this gets so hard, i just hope this gets better when i move to a new house (currently we live with my parents for financial issues related with my daughter medical issue and i dotn have a really good relationship with my mother so just picture that, she one of my main source cause of stress)

Dear Stomach:
you're BORED not hungry
SO SHUT UP

#11 Sora

Sora

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationMendocino County, California, USA

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:15 PM

I just had my second child last month and although I don't feel the crippling depression like I did after my first (my child alone was my only source of joy...my life was a shit storm), I do have moments of extreme anxiety which isn't helping me resist my ed issues. I've been everywhere from dangerously underweight to obese and I fucking hate not being underweight, which I am far from. I blow up with each pregnancy. *sigh* I don't want to be a sick parent but I can't stop. I'm probably a lot more depressed than I'm willing to admit, now that I'm thinking about it. I just don't cry.
  • cheapdate and K13lorraine9 like this
Current weight: disgusting
Goals: maximum of 22" inches around my waist

#12 PixelCat

PixelCat

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts
  • LocationExpanding in a galaxy far, far, away ...

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:29 PM

Yeah, I have Bipolar and got severe PPD with both kids. It was absolutely awful :(

**Huge hugs to all of you**
  • Sora and K13lorraine9 like this
BED diagnosed (EDNOS likely) **Got to 51 days binge free!** ... CONSTANT VIGILANCE ... | Height: 162cm/5'4" | HW: 105kg/231lb | CW: 63.5kg/140lb | GW1: 67kg/147.7lb ✔️ | GW2: 65kg/143.3lb (healthy BMI) ✔ | GW3: 62kg/136.6lb | GW4: 58kg/127.8lb | GW5: 55kg/121.2lb | GW6: 50kg/110lb | ? UGW 45kg/100lb ? (I am very fine boned) ... but I'm not sure yet. Expand arm.

rbkQCyX.jpg

🌺 MPA challenges I'm doing 🌺
• No B/P pledge 2017: http://www.myproana....in-2017-pledge/
• High Restrictors Unite!: http://www.myproana....trictors-unite/
• Say no to Late Night Snacking: http://www.myproana....ge-always-open/
• 1-2lb a week challenge: http://www.myproana....1stalways-open/
• Out of the 140s: http://www.myproana....ut-of-the-140s/

#13 Sora

Sora

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationMendocino County, California, USA

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:00 PM

I was misdiagnosed as bipolar for years but turns out I just have rather severe ptsd and anxiety issues. Or so the latest doctor says.
Current weight: disgusting
Goals: maximum of 22" inches around my waist

#14 cheapdate

cheapdate

• Members
  • 11,864 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:36 AM

i feel u

when im so stressed my system or mind just shut down my feelings and my ED its soooo in control and i dont get to empathize with my daughter and husband and only want to binge eat or just restrict and be there sit on the couch like if nothing happen and its really frustrating because i dont get any connection and dotn feel anything doesnt matter what they say or do im in a numb state and that hurts me because i love my daughter to death and i feel that shes growing so quick and im just losing this moments and my husband is the love of my life but he really dont understand and just complain about how bad mother and cold heart i can be sometimes, and i cry because its so frustrating that he doesnt understand me, i really want to change but this gets so hard, i just hope this gets better when i move to a new house (currently we live with my parents for financial issues related with my daughter medical issue and i dotn have a really good relationship with my mother so just picture that, she one of my main source cause of stress)

Have you sought out any professional help? I don't know where I would be without my medications, and even on my meds sometimes I get those instances when the baby is crying and I can't stand it and feel numb. Have you sat down and talked to your husband about how PPDA is real and you're not the only one experiencing these emotions? 

Carl Sagan, Contact

#15 cheapdate

cheapdate

• Members
  • 11,864 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:37 AM

I just had my second child last month and although I don't feel the crippling depression like I did after my first (my child alone was my only source of joy...my life was a shit storm), I do have moments of extreme anxiety which isn't helping me resist my ed issues. I've been everywhere from dangerously underweight to obese and I fucking hate not being underweight, which I am far from. I blow up with each pregnancy. *sigh* I don't want to be a sick parent but I can't stop. I'm probably a lot more depressed than I'm willing to admit, now that I'm thinking about it. I just don't cry.

I can relate. It's so for me to acknowledge I don't want to let go of my ED yet I want to be the best parent possible, but I need the energy to be the best parent possible, and AHHHHHHHHH!

Carl Sagan, Contact

#16 K13lorraine9

K13lorraine9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:25 AM

Have you sought out any professional help? I don't know where I would be without my medications, and even on my meds sometimes I get those instances when the baby is crying and I can't stand it and feel numb. Have you sat down and talked to your husband about how PPDA is real and you're not the only one experiencing these emotions? 

yes but hes just like "you are married and have a daugther, grow up" or "i love u and thats the only thing that should matter to you, i doesnt care if you wieght 100 lb or 500lb u are my baby mommy, my wife and i love u"

so its like talk with the wall pfffs :rolleyes:

after tried many times talk about this he just doesnt listen, so i just give up on that about he helping me dealing with this and i keep it just for myself

i dotn know i just think he doesnt understand that PPDA its not something that magical appear and disappear 

or that my ED its NOT for the look, its because i want to be comfortable in my own skin, be happy and feel good

Dear Stomach:
you're BORED not hungry
SO SHUT UP

#17 cheapdate

cheapdate

• Members
  • 11,864 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:16 AM

I went through it with all three of my children. It's one of the hardest things ever. But doing much better now with help from a great doctor.
If you need a friend, feel free to pm me.

Surprisingly it IS the hardest thing I have gone through. Bipolar is hard. My ED is hard. Regular anxiety and OCD are hard. But damn. I think the emotional component about the bond you have with your child and wanting to be the best parent possible but at the same time dealing with the crippling depression and anxiety which counteracts with wanting to be the best parent possible really kills me inside. I want to be the best and I absolutely LOVE my son, but at the same time I have my own issues and it makes me feel so selfish.

Carl Sagan, Contact

#18 cheapdate

cheapdate

• Members
  • 11,864 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:17 AM

yes but hes just like "you are married and have a daugther, grow up" or "i love u and thats the only thing that should matter to you, i doesnt care if you wieght 100 lb or 500lb u are my baby mommy, my wife and i love u"

so its like talk with the wall pfffs :rolleyes:

after tried many times talk about this he just doesnt listen, so i just give up on that about he helping me dealing with this and i keep it just for myself

i dotn know i just think he doesnt understand that PPDA its not something that magical appear and disappear 

or that my ED its NOT for the look, its because i want to be comfortable in my own skin, be happy and feel good

PPDA is something that can go on for years if untreated. I am so sorry he's not being more understanding. Can he maybe get some literature and read up on it? I mean, millions of women go through it. It isn't what media makes it out to be - a woman hating her child and ending up killing the child (such as Andrea Yates). I absolutely love my son. He is my ray of sunshine in my dark world. But sometimes my anxiety and depression get the best of me and I struggle so hard.

Carl Sagan, Contact

#19 K13lorraine9

K13lorraine9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:19 PM

thank u

and thanks for your comments

its really nice for me that u read me and give me a opinion about it and share your situation its good to know that im not alone on this or that someone else have this and i respect and going to take account of what u said

and about that i just buried that theme with him, i get tired of discuss that with him so i just try to avoid it saying that was some job issue or traffic what put me on that mode (but i know what i have) i just try to stay focus on something else and try be good for them and for me

and of course my daughter its the most important thing in the world to me i would never do something that will affect her or him, and u are right i should try medical help with this, and what i think that i first needs to do is change my environment, the relationship that i have with my mother its to toxic for me :unsure:

Dear Stomach:
you're BORED not hungry
SO SHUT UP

#20 cheapdate

cheapdate

• Members
  • 11,864 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:45 PM

thank u

and thanks for your comments

its really nice for me that u read me and give me a opinion about it and share your situation its good to know that im not alone on this or that someone else have this and i respect and going to take account of what u said

and about that i just buried that theme with him, i get tired of discuss that with him so i just try to avoid it saying that was some job issue or traffic what put me on that mode (but i know what i have) i just try to stay focus on something else and try be good for them and for me

and of course my daughter its the most important thing in the world to me i would never do something that will affect her or him, and u are right i should try medical help with this, and what i think that i first needs to do is change my environment, the relationship that i have with my mother its to toxic for me :unsure:

How is your mother acting?

I highly recommend professional medical care since you've been struggling with these emotions for such a long time. And I also think one of the biggest things you can do for yourself is self care. I take an hour every day to focus completely on myself. It gives me the chance to recharge my batteries so I can be the best mom I can be with the energy.

Carl Sagan, Contact

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users