About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Liquid fast.. forever?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 glueuniversity

glueuniversity

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:20 AM

So guys, I honestly am so fed up with my relationship with food and just want "break up" hahah

If I eat anything it just sets me up for a day of binging, but if  I don't eat I feel no hunger and am fine all day. 

So I've thought of the solution, I will just liquid fast indefinitely. This means I'll drink juice, almond milk, protein shakes, tea, coffee and alcohol so I don't die, and can still be slightly socially acceptable.

What do y'all think? I've read up a lot on stuff like this and I think it sounds good, I just want to think of food as an object like I used to when I heavily restricted

• CassieWinter likes this

HW: 57 kg

LW: 41 kg

CW: 56 kg

GW 1: 52 kg

UGW: 50 kg

Just your typical - Was recovered- Is relapsing- Fully diagnosed- Biploar- Anorexic

Australia

#2 keri

keri

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,869 posts
  • LocationQueensland, Australia

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:25 AM

indefinitely as in you want to do this for the rest of your life? whoa that is a big commitment... i honestly dont know much about long term effects of liquid diets but i wish you all the best in whatever you decide to do, and i'd like to keep up with your progress!  :D xo

keri's keto accountability link xx 

just trying to keep my head above the water, one day at a time

c5faae9a3d8f250cfe38e2ff7f50bb59.gif

#3 Guest_Der_Stumm_Fuhrer_*

Guest_Der_Stumm_Fuhrer_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:33 AM

It depends on you and, since you want to do it, go for it.

But you also have to think about those who are around you, occasions in which you /have/ to eat, even if a small amount (Such as dinners with family/friends/coworkers/etc. Or any other occasion of the like).

And then there is you. Will you be able to really fast, indefinitely? Won't you miss a certain food, won't your body crave texture? And if you usually insult yourself/think bad of yourself/etc., then maybe you should tone down this just a notch. Maybe try this out for a few days - let's say four. And on the fifth, maybe you might have an occasion. Who knows. You gotta plan it. On that day, you could allow yourself one solid meal, or two. Then go on a liquid fast again, longer than before. So let's say a whole week. And then break it with one solid meal or two. And then again fast. On the third fast, assuming that you didn't 'binge' or eat anything solid when you shouldn't have (Whether it's because someone made you it, or you just reached for a snack), continue the liquid fast. If you did, however, eat anything solid when you shouldn't have, then repeat the process again.

Again, I don't know your situation. I don't know whether you have anyone else who would spot your food behaviour, or lack of food, for that matter. But what I can say is this: Plan it. Think of the good and bad, whether you like it or not. That, including your 'will' to actually liquid fast, would be extremely helpful in the long run. So don't just walk through this and do it without thinking about it thoroughly.

#4 nutella fitzgerald

nutella fitzgerald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Locationnowhere plains

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:43 AM

that sounds pretty risky, but I can relate to feeling overwhelmed by food. maybe look at soylent and add in some green smoothies and soups? you'll also want to watch your sodium, b12, magnesium, calcium and iron for example. if you do liquids only for a really long time and want to reintroduce solids, you'll need to do it slowly, like with fruit salads and chunky soups. it's so easy to get sick and with things like osteoporosis you probably wouldn't realise until it's too late. that's what I'm worried about. please stay safe!

🌻🌻🌻

#5 loletaxeni

loletaxeni

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,947 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:44 AM

Take a very good care on your oral health. Not eating anything solid is bad for teeth.

• zxcv, hanamacleod and glueuniversity like this

tumblr_nku57mKpiT1syuj3jo1_500.gif

#6 Nerys

Nerys

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:50 AM

I'd be worried about a lot of things. But there are many articles on long term liquid fasting, so read up before you start

Accountability (w/ pics) | Mono's | Cheesy adventures | CBMI: 16.1 | GBMI: 15

#7 Maygaface

Maygaface

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationHells armpit

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:13 AM

I feel like doing this sometimes lol

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

SW: 216

GW:120

#8 AnnEmilyAn

AnnEmilyAn

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:08 AM

If only it was that simple for me. I'd say go for it. Just make shore you get enough nutrition from juice, smoothies and shakes. And as for me, I want to be a bodybuilder starting later this year, and until then I'm going to be water fasting and liquid fasting for about 8 months.

So, good luck,

AnnEmilyAn.

#9 got bad feel bot dis scoob

got bad feel bot dis scoob

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Locationw// scoob

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:34 PM

you should do research on it first bb

88q5l.gif

#10 The Queen of Corona

The Queen of Corona

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:02 PM

I've done a liquid fast for up to two weeks until I started fainting. I do love liquid fast but i find that there best for monday thur friday then eat soild foods saturday and sunday.

5'7"

HW: 156

LW: 92

SW:139 - Jan. 3rd

CW:135

GW1: 130 - Feb. 1st

GW2: 120 - March 1st

GW3: 110 - April 5th

UGW: 100 - May 20th

#11 Guest_Satan's Lovebug_*

Guest_Satan's Lovebug_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:25 PM

Be very careful, I wouldn't recommend going longer than a week or two. Having only liquids for a long time can make your body forget how to digest properly, takes awhile to right it again.

If you are going to do it maybe get a fiber powder so you can still poo?

#12 hanamacleod

hanamacleod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:40 PM

someday, you may have no choice.  eating disorders, purging or not, with restriction and nutritional deficits, will have long term effects you cannot predict, if you never recover health or die prior.  so at a very young age, you may not have the teeth to chew solid food anymore and have no option but liquids for life.  you may have enzyme deficiencies so you cannot digest some foods or entire food groups, liquid or not.  (very common with liquid "fasting" to stop producing the enzymes needed)  you may lose sections of your bowel surgically, limiting what you can ingest each time.  one or all of these eventually effect long term eating disordered people, so while you still have teeth and the ability to eat anything you want, crunchy, chewy, sticky, etc, dont start livin life through a straw.  to top it off, you have a built in biological urge to CHEW that you will fight and you and you burn more calories digesting solids than liquids, and store more calories on long term liquids than on fiberous solids.

#13 KittyIsland

KittyIsland

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:56 AM

On a medical level it's absolutely POSSIBLE, but I would get one of those fancy blenders, and liquify some actual food into a soup/ slurry.  There are people who can't physically eat, who need feeding tubes, and they just get this kind of thing.  So it's obviously something you can live on.  But don't trust things like soylent to give you all you need.  They are a good supplement, but you need real food to go into your stomach on a regular basis or... what hana said.

With the blender, you can make it into a soup/ smoothie that reflects your dietary needs, and isn't made for taste.  Like you can still eat half of a chicken breast, broccoli, and tomatoes.... just in a soup form, without all the glamor of the texture and the chewing pushing you to want more.  And this way you will still be getting the fiber and bulk of the actual food still.

#14 Sophia90

Sophia90

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • LocationQuébec

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:33 AM

It is possible to live on liquids for a short period of time, but I don't think it is sustainable (or optimal) long-term. I personally would be concerned about the health of my teeth/gums (we need to chew to keep them strong) and my digestive system (having regular BMs and maintaining your gut motility is really important).

#15 Painlessindenial

Painlessindenial

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:30 PM

This is how I went my longest of fasting. I did feel really weak a lot though. I'd recommend drinking a lot on certain days instead to get enough energy. If I could do that without anyone worrying, I would. Be safe though, but do whatever you want!

#16 RumblingSatisfaction

RumblingSatisfaction

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • 1,380 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:54 AM

I feel the same way for the same reasons. If I touch food I feel like I'm a slave to it and can't stop myself. I'm fasting now and I haven't set a day to stop. I guess I'll eat something if pestered. We'll see, it's day 3 tomorrow which is always the hardest, if I cave in I'll just start again. So fucking done with food, paying for it, preparing it, cleaning dishes, fighting with it constantly.

#17 Lil Blu

Lil Blu

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 12:23 PM

I totally relate to what you're feeling. I've developed a little fear of solids because when I don't eat them, it's no problem, but the second I pop something in my mouth, I am 99% guaranteed to binge.

I have been using the bottled ready to drink soylent 100% for 10 days now, and so far, I'm fine. I'm heavier than you though, so I can't say how it will effect you.

For me, it's been pretty great. I still have cravings and urges, but there's no compulsion like there is when I eat something solid. It's easier to determine the calories I'm in taking because each bottle has a set amount at 400 cal/bottle. I realize that is kind of the daily limit for a lot of people, but in a "healthy" person, you should have about 1200. I mix it up from 400 to 1200 throughout the week though and I'm still ok. My energy is roughly the same, my BMs are still present and fairly consistent though more like once every other day instead of everyday, and I haven't fainted or anything yet. I have gotten dizzy once, but that went away within 30min. I actually sleep a bit better too, which means a lot to me because I used to only be able to sleep 1-3 hours a day and I was exhausted all the time.

The good thing about soylent is that it's allegedly been formulated to have 20% of ALL the nutrients you need in a day based on a 2000 cal diet. So, theoretically,even if you're only drinking one a day, you at least get a little of everything everyday. A big thing I missed out on when eating solids is that I would go days or even weeks without vegetables aside from maybe tomatoes (I really really love pizza, calzones, and pasta).

So, I don't know if this would work for you, and I'm not sure that it'll work for me since it's only been 10 days, but it works now. If it continues working, I intend to do it indefinitely. Maybe when I get to 150 or so, I may start planning binged once in a while, but for now, I'll just love solid food from afar.

I should also note that I'm on phentermine for an appetite suppressant because I crave food ALL the time without it. It hasn't done away with my appetite completely, but the compulsion is gone so long as I don't eat solid food.
  • Junkie likes this

Introduction

HT:5'5" SW:280
270 260 250 240 230 220 210 200 190 180 170 160 150 140 130 120 110
Weights in bold get a reward.

75391540.png

Accountability

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users