About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Biotin and multivitamin and fish oil?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 desperate2beskxnny

desperate2beskxnny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:44 AM

Is it okay for me to take biotin 1000mcg, GNC multivitamin and a fish oil together?
Also does biotin and multivitamin cause weight gain?? I've read on Google about people gaining weight from taking biotin and multivitamins.. please help thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 desperate2beskxnny

desperate2beskxnny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:18 PM

Please help!!

#3 sunflowermoon

sunflowermoon

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:52 PM

You should be fine taking them all together. I take a multivitamin every day (biotin is in some women's multivitamins), and I recently tried fish oil but I kept reading how there's really no benefit so I quit taking them (let me know if you have any positive results from taking fish oil!). I used to take biotin pills but it broke my face out too much so I stopped. Drinking a lot of water can help prevent that. I've never heard of these causing weight gain, and I personally have only gained weight when I go through phases of eating too many calories and I've successfully lost while taking vitamins and supplements.

• desperate2beskxnny likes this

5'2" CW: 120.2 BMI: 22.0
HW: 148 | GW: 115 | UGW: 100

#4 desperate2beskxnny

desperate2beskxnny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:44 PM

You should be fine taking them all together. I take a multivitamin every day (biotin is in some women's multivitamins), and I recently tried fish oil but I kept reading how there's really no benefit so I quit taking them (let me know if you have any positive results from taking fish oil!). I used to take biotin pills but it broke my face out too much so I stopped. Drinking a lot of water can help prevent that. I've never heard of these causing weight gain, and I personally have only gained weight when I go through phases of eating too many calories and I've successfully lost while taking vitamins and supplements.

Is your hair falling out or does it look healthy without biotin despite restricting?

#5 sunflowermoon

sunflowermoon

Sage

• Members
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 01:58 PM

Is your hair falling out or does it look healthy without biotin despite restricting?

I don't restrict lower than around 800 so I don't have experience with low restriction and hair loss. The multivitamin I take has 100% dv biotin and with that and higher restriction, my hair still grows pretty fast.

5'2" CW: 120.2 BMI: 22.0
HW: 148 | GW: 115 | UGW: 100

#6 TinyTabby

TinyTabby

Sage

• Members
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:24 PM

I'm taking various vitamins, as I've read that multis have too little of some stuff and too much of others(The Perfect Health Diet). I just started a biotin but haven't seen any improvement yet. It may take longer, or maybe it was too cheap. As for fish oil, I take flax oil(vegetarian) and I've noticed the difference in both my weight loss and mental clarity. Plus taking the flax prevents or lessens heartburn associated with medications and fasting.

• Teasgonecoldxo likes this

#7 Teasgonecoldxo

Teasgonecoldxo

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:34 PM

I'm taking various vitamins, as I've read that multis have too little of some stuff and too much of others(The Perfect Health Diet). I just started a biotin but haven't seen any improvement yet. It may take longer, or maybe it was too cheap. As for fish oil, I take flax oil(vegetarian) and I've noticed the difference in both my weight loss and mental clarity. Plus taking the flax prevents or lessens heartburn associated with medications and fasting.

Interesting!

Kik and mfp- teasgonecold
29 yrs
SW (recovery weight)- 198 12/28/16
CW- 198 195 190 188 185
Gw1- 180
Gw2- 160
Gw3- 140

Gw4- 120
Ugw- 110

#8 round2

round2

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:04 PM

hey hey im in second year pre med at university :D so here is what I know~ The combo you are taking is *okay*, taking vitamin E along with the biotin will aid in reducing breakouts. Biotin does aid in hair growth. If you are restricting (i only restrict to 500, but was hospitalized before around 5~ years ago for anorexia) take B-12, it is often underestimated for importance (im trying to not write an essay on all this but i really could lol..) and check if your multivitimins contain copper (you want to reduce the amount of copper you have bc I assume you will be eating mostly "clean" foods and having excess copper is harmful for...many reasons lol). Taking vitamin D is good 1000-3000 units a day....and zinc if you are looking to not get sick and also keep your scalp from getting dry and hairloss. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users