About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Bi/Multilingual People, do you do this?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 grasburning

grasburning

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:09 AM

Do you ever completely substitute an other language word for a word in your primary language because if just seems to 'fit' so much better? Like, when I look at soup and think about soup I don't think of it as 'soup' (english is my primary language). Instead I think of it as 'chorba' which is the turkish word for soup. Chorba just seems so much...better? It makes me think of warm stews and simmering cut veggies, and the concept of throwing a bunch of stuff in liquid broth....does that make any sense? Or my brain has completely replaced 'right' and 'left' with 'droite' and 'gauche' (french) and when giving directions I find I have to make a conscious effort to say them in english. They just seem to go together better than 'right' and 'left'? 

Does anyone else do crap like this? 

• Ofelia likes this

Click Eeeet

A8140.gif

JBq8M.gif

tfg3m.gif

uyA9w.gif

#2 fey090900

fey090900

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:18 AM

Yes definitely, particularly adopting Spanish words as I'm living in Spain at the moment.

But I'd say with me, it's not so much that I permanently replace words in English (my native language) - more I adopt words that can't be a nicely expressed/translated into English... or I just occasionally replace words.

Like I once went to a friend's house and he made a big show of giving me a grand tour (as a joke), so I said all sarcastically "ooooh, sehr imponierend". Which fell totally flat because he doesn't speak German but it just came out without me thinking about it.

I also always use "liebling" instead of "darling" as a pet name. And I like using "genki" from Japanese as we don't really have an English word that conveys the same.

I also sometimes find myself mixing my grammar without words.

Like I might say - I was caminando-ing down the street - taking the Spanish for walking and adding ing to make it fit in an English sentence.

I believe linguistically it's called code-switching and it's pretty common

• alprosoya likes this

HW/SW: 117.7kg (Sep 2016)

Pre-Xmas: 100.5kg

2017 SW: 105.5kg

CW: 96.5kg  - BMI 34.6

GW1: 100kg (Xmas -failed! = 29/01)

GW2: 95kg (Feb 19th)

GW3: 90kg (Mar 26th)

GW4: 85kg (May 21st)

UGW: ??

119589062.png

Other Goals

Stone:    18         17           16                   15 (95)                  14 (88.5)                      13 (82.5)                                    12 new LW! (76)
Lbs:        250    240    230    220               210 (95)   200 (90.5)    190 (86)                      180 (81.5)                       170 new LW! (77)
BMI:               40        37.5            35                        32.5 (90.5)                    29.9 "OW" (83.5)    <29 (80.5)      <28 new LW! (77.5)
zZE6bdw.png

#3 lucie ♡

lucie ♡

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Locationhell (´ ∀ ` *)

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:19 AM

I do this sort of thing all the time! I speak English, Spanish, and Japanese and even though the grammar and sentence structure is different between Japanese and the other languages, I still find myself using the sentence structure of Japanese in my other languages when talking, or I'll just sub various words from one language to another, a lot of times without realising I'm doing it. I always accidentally say gato instead of neko, and I use izquierda and derecha instead of left and right--or I use ちょっと待って (chotto matte) when i'm just meaning to say 'wait' or 'wait a little' because it rolls off the tongue easier??

• Romanoff and PannaBair like this

#4 havana

havana

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • 1,965 posts
  • LocationTo One Side Of An Elegant Chaos

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:20 AM

My whole family does this and so do I.

Its become so ingrained that I can't actually think of any examples!

accountability tumblr_inline_nzty44eXLg1t78dpp_500.gifinstagram

JpeuLU3.jpg

chances are that I probably already like you.

5'2.5" | 95lbs

#5 minyoongisgf

minyoongisgf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:21 AM

i often use english words bc i cant think of the german (my native language) word LMAO or sometimes i have to use the english word bc i never really talk abt it in german so sometimes i just. really don't know the german word for it omg.

i also mix up the grammar sometimes like i start a german sentence in a way that doesn't make sense bc i'm thinking in english grammar

28fa32499b79949ac4754e7d88512018.gif

176cm • ugw: 55kg

• they/them •

accountability

#6 LovelyRose

LovelyRose

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts
  • Locationhell

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:22 AM

Yes I do that too. My parents hate it soo much though

where's the point in breathing when you lose a part of yourself with every breath you take...when you lose a piece of yourself every second, knowing you'll never get it back...when all you wish for is death because you just know you'll never be whole again and you'd rather die than live like that...broken...in pieces...dead inside yet still alive...where's the point in that?

stats

Spoiler

#7 thereaper

thereaper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Locationpennsylvania

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:25 AM

i do this in russian (my native language) all the time. i always mix them up, and sometimes i can't think of a word in russian or english so i just switch them. it always bothers my friends because they don't understand me haha

sh free: 2 months!

ednos, depression, social phobia, borderline personality disorder

binge free february: 

pass/fail

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 

tumblr_mewg6ay9YB1qkebt6o1_250.gif

http://wish-uponafear.tumblr.com/

#8 LovelyRose

LovelyRose

Sage

• Members
  • 998 posts
  • Locationhell

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:26 AM

i often use english words bc i cant think of the german (my native language) word LMAO or sometimes i have to use the english word bc i never really talk abt it in german so sometimes i just. really don't know the german word for it omg.

i also mix up the grammar sometimes like i start a german sentence in a way that doesn't make sense bc i'm thinking in english grammar

Same. Especially with English sayings I try to translate because I somehow can't come up with a german one and I just pray that it makes some kind of sense.

where's the point in breathing when you lose a part of yourself with every breath you take...when you lose a piece of yourself every second, knowing you'll never get it back...when all you wish for is death because you just know you'll never be whole again and you'd rather die than live like that...broken...in pieces...dead inside yet still alive...where's the point in that?

stats

Spoiler

#9 Sophia90

Sophia90

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:32 AM

Yes, sometimes I do this too... I will switch between French and English. Where I come from it's called "parler en franglais". :P

• Fixi likes this

my accountability (raw plant-based)

cw: 150lbs(?)
gw: 115lbs

#10 nevertheless

nevertheless

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,373 posts
  • Locationin a lonely place

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:34 AM

Oh yes I do a lot.English is my first language but if I'm speaking to another English speaker often whole phrases will come out in French because it's just easier or fits in better,especially if it's work related.

It doesn't bother me.It can sound pretentious but too bad.....

No binge February: red= fail,green= success. 1 2 3 4 5 brain fog here... 11 12 13 14

This quote is helping me to challenge my black and white mentality: "Saying 'Oh,I've ruined my good eating for today,I'll just binge now' is like saying 'Oh,I dropped my phone onto the ground,so I'll just smash it until it breaks,' "

Spoiler

#11 fey090900

fey090900

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:35 AM

I do this sort of thing all the time! I speak English, Spanish, and Japanese and even though the grammar and sentence structure is different between Japanese and the other languages, I still find myself using the sentence structure of Japanese in my other languages when talking, or I'll just sub various words from one language to another, a lot of times without realising I'm doing it. I always accidentally say gato instead of neko, and I use izquierda and derecha instead of left and right--or I use ちょっと待って (chotto matte) when i'm just meaning to say 'wait' or 'wait a little' because it rolls off the tongue easier??

I find Japanese screws with me the most - as soon as my brain is thinking in Japanese I can't say anything in a different language without using Japanese sentence structure!!

I met a group of Japanese tourists in Venezuela, for example, and after speaking with them for 15 minutes I met tour guide and was saying things like

Disculpe, yo maleta は pesada.  I can't think of others, but yeh.. I kept using Japanese particles in Spanish sentences, and completely missing out verbs because it makes no sense to say them at the end.

• lucie ♡ likes this

HW/SW: 117.7kg (Sep 2016)

Pre-Xmas: 100.5kg

2017 SW: 105.5kg

CW: 96.5kg  - BMI 34.6

GW1: 100kg (Xmas -failed! = 29/01)

GW2: 95kg (Feb 19th)

GW3: 90kg (Mar 26th)

GW4: 85kg (May 21st)

UGW: ??

119589062.png

Other Goals

Stone:    18         17           16                   15 (95)                  14 (88.5)                      13 (82.5)                                    12 new LW! (76)
Lbs:        250    240    230    220               210 (95)   200 (90.5)    190 (86)                      180 (81.5)                       170 new LW! (77)
BMI:               40        37.5            35                        32.5 (90.5)                    29.9 "OW" (83.5)    <29 (80.5)      <28 new LW! (77.5)
zZE6bdw.png

#12 TeiKallistei

TeiKallistei

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • 1,604 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:45 PM

"Chorba" is not the Turkish word for soup, it's "çorba". And not really?

#13 Schackled_Angel

Schackled_Angel

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:47 PM

When you talk with me in Polish, if I'm doing 3/4 PL and 1/4 English it means I'm feeling relaxed with you. And I use like 8 languages substitutes for yes/no/bye, so yeah, love mixing them!
Spoiler

#14 aswzi

aswzi

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Locationbed

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:55 PM

I always use too many english words while speaking german and polish. Like, they just fit better

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

#15 eminnie

eminnie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:00 PM

when i take notes, they tend to be a weird mishmash of english, polish and korean lmao 

other people find it hard to decipher what i'm writing, it's like a code lol

Buy EXO's 3rd full album Lotto on iTunes now !

#16 The_Unpopular

The_Unpopular

Sage

• Members
  • 1,042 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:01 PM

All the time! The main one I always use is 《utile》 instead of "useful", and the phrase 《c'est chier》instead of "that's shit/ that sucks".
  • Fixi likes this

🍎Vegan🍏

~STATS~
height: 5'5"
sw: 133 (60.46 kg) 23.6 (5'3")
lw: 109 (49.55 kg) 18.7 (5'4")
cw: 130 (59.09 kg) 21.3
gw1: 120 (54 kg) 19.96
ugw: 75 (34 kg) 12.5

ED Instagram: the_unpopular

Gifs
Spoiler

Quotes and Lyrics
Spoiler

#17 Ofelia

Ofelia

Omniscient

• Supporter
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationThe Yellow Wallpaper

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:05 PM

All the time.

My Spanish isn't even that great, but I regularly find myself switching to Spanish for certain words and phrases because that's how I primarily learned them growing up. Then there are the words and phrases that simply don't have an English translation (and vice versa).

I've seen other people do the same things with their languages, too. :D

Some of the bravest and most inspiring people I have ever met:

TELL: Therapy Exploitation Link Line

Please don't hesitate to reach out to these lovely people if you ever find yourself in an abusive therapeutic setting.

You will find lots of understanding, emotional support, and possible resources.

They will believe you even when you have no hope.

I can always delete it and start over again so why the hell not dump it in my sig?

Kik: alliwantobsolete

#18 Cute

Cute

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • LocationVenezuela

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:08 PM

I find Japanese screws with me the most - as soon as my brain is thinking in Japanese I can't say anything in a different language without using Japanese sentence structure!!

I met a group of Japanese tourists in Venezuela, for example, and after speaking with them for 15 minutes I met tour guide and was saying things like

Disculpe, yo maleta は pesada.  I can't think of others, but yeh.. I kept using Japanese particles in Spanish sentences, and completely missing out verbs because it makes no sense to say them at the end.

Do you live in Venezuela? 

#19 grasburning

grasburning

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:50 PM

"Chorba" is not the Turkish word for soup, it's "çorba". And not really?

That's generally how I've seen it written in english without using the special letter for it (I'm too lazy to use the correct letters for it since they're hard to get to on my computer) but I know the pronunciation of it (the melding of the ch/j sound). 

Click Eeeet

A8140.gif

JBq8M.gif

tfg3m.gif

uyA9w.gif

#20 finemarble

finemarble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:56 PM

yes! my mum, who doesn't speak english very well, has said that whenever she hears me and my sister (both fluent in english) speaking she can't understand a fraction of it, because 'half is in another language and the other half is laughing'

height: 164cm/5'4"

hw: 65kg/143lbs // sw: 63kgs/139lbs // cw: 52.6kg/116lbs

ugw: 45kg/99lbs - bmi of 16.7

and Beauty is a form of Genius - is higher, indeed, than Genius, as it needs no explanation.

it is of the great facts of the world, like sunlight, or springtime, or the reflection in dark waters

of that silver shell we call the moon. it cannot be questioned. it has its divine right of sovereignty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users