About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Bi/Multilingual People, do you do this?

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#61 c0xalb0nes

c0xalb0nes

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationKuwait

Posted 19 February 2017 - 05:10 AM

Yes, a lot. i speak arabic and english - Arablish

LW: 35 kg  (77 lbs)    ~bmi  14

HW: 53 kg  (116 lbs)  ~bmi  21

CW:    40.6 kg   (89.5 lbs)   ~bmi 16.3

GW1:   42 kg     (92.5 lbs)  ~bmi 16.8 

GW2:   40 kg      (88 lbs)    ~bmi 16.0

UGW:   38 kg     (83.7 lbs)  ~bmi 15.2

height: 158 cm (5'2 ft)

#62 Deez Nuts

Deez Nuts

Pussy Vultures

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,657 posts
  • LocationWhy does everyone want to go back to Jakku

Posted 19 February 2017 - 10:33 AM

I speak fluent German and English
And dude
Some words in English just don't make sense
So I use the German word
Or my thoughts will be in German instead of English sometimes

giphy.gif

tumblr_nos5bsyXjC1savpdqo8_540.png

Stuff I like in spoiler, click if interested:

Spoiler

Male

Vegetarian

Asexual<p>

AN b/p

HT: 5'6

HW: 131

CW: 107

UGW: 103

#63 BurningLeaf

BurningLeaf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 12:25 PM

When I have to write essays for school I sometimez Italianize an English word cuz it sounds right at that moment. And sometimes I have to ask my friends whether a word is actual Italian or whether I'm its English-turned-Italian. Also when me and my sister talk we usually have the base (sentence construction) in English but throw in words in Italian cuz they come to mind before the equivalent in English does lol

A human being sees something bad which is coming as inevitable. There is no way he can halt the process; he is helpless. This sense of helplessness generates a need to gain some control over the impending pain -- any kind of control will do. This makes sense; the subjective feeling of helplessness is more painful than the impending misery. So the person seizes control over the situation in the only way open to him: he connives to bring on the impending misery; he hastens it. This activity on his part promotes the false impression that he enjoys pain. Not so. It is simply that he cannot any longer endure the helplessness or the supposed helplessness. - 'VALIS', Philip K. Dick

5'3" 

HW: 106lb 

LW: 95lb 

SW: 103lb

103 102 101 100 99 98 97 96 95 94 93 92 91 90 89 88

#64 Guest_yty_*

Guest_yty_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2017 - 02:02 PM

#65 99_UFOs

99_UFOs

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 March 2017 - 11:44 PM

As an English/German bilingual I do that all the time haha I am so used to speak, read and write in English I am forgetting more and more German words and replace them with fitting English words, occasionally I don't even notice anymore and it upsets my mum lol

wE9uT52.png?1tumblr_n54apca9et1t6fz7oo1_250.gif4ILLf3v.png?1

#66 lazyimouto

lazyimouto

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 04:37 AM

I sometimes forget the german word (my native language) but I know the english word of it idk the internet ruined me lol

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

EFFjXpQ.png

height: 5'3

relapsed

cw: 114.8 lbs

lw: 94 lbs

thinspo dump tumblr_inline_nk94xlUVvM1ry72eo.gif accountability

#67 souphappens

souphappens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 09:04 AM

I'm fluent in Spanish, English and German and do this all the time.

Whenever I'm with my friends we speak a weird mix of English, Spanish and Italian. Most of the time we don't even notice we're switching from one language to another (well, I do whenever they speak Italian, but if they speak slow enough I'm able to understand most of it). It drives other people crazy.

I also do this with my sister. We speak in a mix of german and spanish, with some english words thrown in. It drives our mom crazy since she doesn't know any german. But then again, she usually does the same with french, which neither my sister nor I speak.

vegan 

CW: 50kg | 110lbs
GW: 44kg | 97lbs 

#68 twentyonememes

twentyonememes

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationHopefully a concert

Posted 03 March 2017 - 09:11 AM

Always. Sweden is my primary language but I think literally everything sounds better in english, idk what it is but I HATE swedish, so whenever it's possible I speak english

Bfhcp2.png

#69 Enziane

Enziane

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 10:41 AM

I do this all the time! I speak/study many different languages and sometimes I don't even notice how mixed up my sentences are. I think it's pretty funny tbh. 

#70 Enziane

Enziane

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 10:45 AM

Always. Sweden is my primary language but I think literally everything sounds better in english, idk what it is but I HATE swedish, so whenever it's possible I speak english

A Swede that hates their own language..? I didn't think those existed! lol

#71 twentyonememes

twentyonememes

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationHopefully a concert

Posted 03 March 2017 - 10:49 AM

A Swede that hates their own language..? I didn't think those existed! lol

they do lol

Bfhcp2.png

#72 FruitWhore

FruitWhore

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts
  • LocationMaritimes (Canada)

Posted 04 March 2017 - 09:11 AM

Yes

One of my friends did an exchange thing where she went to Quebec for a few months. When she came back, she would speak half English/half French bc she couldn't think of words in english

They/Them

BMI ~18.7

Sort of recovering from bulimia

It's no surprise to me; I am my own worst enemy

#73 kels13

kels13

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 March 2017 - 12:27 PM

It depends. If I'm speaking with multilingual people I switch a lot to use whatever is easiest on a word-by-word or sentence-by-sentence basis, but if people aren't multilingual, I stick with the language everyone understands. If I'm flustered or surprised, sometimes the wrong language comes out though. I work in a very multilingual environment and speak more than one language at home, but usually I manage to keep things straight!

#74 lifeisntthathard

lifeisntthathard

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • LocationTurkey

Posted 04 March 2017 - 04:05 PM

Do you ever completely substitute an other language word for a word in your primary language because if just seems to 'fit' so much better? Like, when I look at soup and think about soup I don't think of it as 'soup' (english is my primary language). Instead I think of it as 'chorba' which is the turkish word for soup. Chorba just seems so much...better? It makes me think of warm stews and simmering cut veggies, and the concept of throwing a bunch of stuff in liquid broth....does that make any sense? Or my brain has completely replaced 'right' and 'left' with 'droite' and 'gauche' (french) and when giving directions I find I have to make a conscious effort to say them in english. They just seem to go together better than 'right' and 'left'? 

Does anyone else do crap like this? 

ahaha I talk turkish, french and english as well  :lol:

where/when did you learn turkish?

Height:158 cm/5'2

HW: 60 kg/132.2 lb

CW: 48.8 kg

GW1: 50 kg/110.2 lb

GW2: 48 kg/105.8 lb

GW3: 45 kg/99 lb

UGW (??): 40 kg /88 lb

ae5dc5375c2707c85f078d595c6c7e6e.gif

I hope you make it to the day you're 28 years old

11f40f4dc3969ccdbe1ce75104b45360.gif

#75 Not Today Satan

Not Today Satan

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,684 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 04:18 PM

I def do this. I'm not a French expert or anything but I speak/understand enough of it to exchange English words and phrases for French ones.

I find myself asking my bf "quelle heur est-il?" Or like "que'est-ce que tu veux pour le dîner?" instead of what time is it or what do you want for dinner, respectively. Sometimes the French phrase comes to mind instead of the English one for whatever reason and I forget that my significant other doesn't understand even simple French lol.
Stats here temporarily until I have my weight where I want it to be:

Height: 5'3"/160.5cm
HW: 103/46.5kg
LW: 75lbs/34kg
CW: 83-84/38kg
GW1: 75lbs/34kg
GW2: Keep going until something bad happens, tbh.

My accountability/rant thread:

http://www.myproana....omething/page-1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users