About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

How do you know which food you can purge?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 bulimicmisfit

bulimicmisfit

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:44 AM

There are foods I want to try but never dared because I don't know if I'm able to purge them.

For example pizza. I can't purge pizza. But I can purge cake and bread and pretzels.

How do you know if you can purge a food you never tried before? Just trying it and see if it works?

#2 much shiny very happy

much shiny very happy

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • Locationin ya bathroom

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:48 AM

Um pretty much

I don't really avoid foods specifically for that reason though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3da644256271147325ea196eb4a60cdf.gif

#3 bulimicmisfit

bulimicmisfit

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:51 AM

Um pretty much

I don't really avoid foods specifically for that reason though

In case you can't bring sth up what do you do then? I would use a horrid dose of lax but well..

#4 Cheese

Cheese

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:53 AM

the only way you can know for sure is by learning the hard way. there's some that find pizza super easy, though most don't. me, i learned that ice cream isn't as easy for me as everyone else makes it out to be so i avoid it and most dairy products.

eevee_by_joruri_chan-d5c5myc.gif

5'1, not short. just... fun-sized.

HW: 130
LW: 81

CW: 84.6 // 16.0 BMI

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep.

tumblr_oftffrus571sxkftdo1_540.gif

#5 bulimicmisfit

bulimicmisfit

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:57 AM

the only way you can know for sure is by learning the hard way. there's some that find pizza super easy, though most don't. me, i learned that ice cream isn't as easy for me as everyone else makes it out to be so i avoid it and most dairy products.

Ice cream is for me so easy. That is interesting.
I should try it but I know how suicidal I would get if I can't get it up.

#6 much shiny very happy

much shiny very happy

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • Locationin ya bathroom

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:05 AM

In case you can't bring sth up what do you do then? I would use a horrid dose of lax but well..

I've been pretty lucky (?) but I haven't really had a problem with much. I normally would just keep going until it's up tbh. The only thing that springs to mind is the time I ate a heap of melted cheese tortillas. I just kept going until a reasonable amount was up and then tried to move on. Cried a little and then gym.

I don't fuck with lax. They don't seem to work anyway and I rather save them for when I actually need them. Look after yourself hun xx

#7 Cheese

Cheese

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:08 AM

Ice cream is for me so easy. That is interesting.
I should try it but I know how suicidal I would get if I can't get it up.

i don't blame you! i want to b/p pizza, but i'm too afraid of not being able to get it up so it's just something i'll probably always stay away from. i stay away from just about everything that most people agree is pretty difficult to purge, like chocolate, brownies, etc. for peace of mind. :(

eevee_by_joruri_chan-d5c5myc.gif

5'1, not short. just... fun-sized.

HW: 130
LW: 81

CW: 84.6 // 16.0 BMI

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep.

tumblr_oftffrus571sxkftdo1_540.gif

#8 much shiny very happy

much shiny very happy

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • Locationin ya bathroom

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:19 AM

Pizza is generally easy as for me guys like some things are just a lot easier than you think so I guess you'll never know if you don't try. In saying that please be careful I don't want you guys to end up doing something and not being able to get it up and getting really upset. Maybe next time you b/p include like one tiny slice instead of just going for it ? Also soda is your friend but not too much otherwise it's comes up as soda.. and pizza

#9 justkeepfighting

justkeepfighting

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:30 AM

trial and error. I choose my binge food on purgability (is that even a word?).

• ahungergame, madcanadienne and Blue_Raincoats like this

My fat Accountability diary

HW 293 (17/1/16)

SW 216 (17/10/16)

CW  (WHALE)

LW 188

GW120

UGW 100

GW1: 200

GW2: 180 (new vans)

GW3: 150 (new tattoo)

GW4: 135 (new tattoo)

Goals

Spoiler

BMI 

Spoiler

tumblr_mx7z1ntp8i1s5a5veo1_500.gif

giphy.gif

tumblr_mj70ok46Tf1rkxl1vo1_500.gif

How dare You

#10 Hoplessmind

Hoplessmind

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:44 AM

I think I good rule of thumb is to pick foods that have high liquid retention. Like macaroni and cheese the longer you leave it to cook the smoother it comes back up. I think its really about the liquids paired with it, generally though most things comes back easily with diet soda just avoid spicy foods ugh I'm getting flashbacks. 

#11 ShesBackToHauntMe

ShesBackToHauntMe

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • LocationIn Savasana

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:54 AM

Avoid melted cheese like fondu!!!! Jesus I swear I nearly died. The cheese slightly hardens in the stomach and goes lumpy but not hard enough to cough up - choking hazard x 100.

Also other stringy things like the skin on artisan sausages.. shudder.

#12 bulimicmisfit

bulimicmisfit

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:23 AM

i don't blame you! i want to b/p pizza, but i'm too afraid of not being able to get it up so it's just something i'll probably always stay away from. i stay away from just about everything that most people agree is pretty difficult to purge, like chocolate, brownies, etc. for peace of mind. :(

I just can tell you that ice cream helps with cake and chocolate. And Soya milk works for me better than cow milk. And chewing it well.

#13 bulimicmisfit

bulimicmisfit

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:23 AM

Pizza is generally easy as for me guys like some things are just a lot easier than you think so I guess you'll never know if you don't try. In saying that please be careful I don't want you guys to end up doing something and not being able to get it up and getting really upset. Maybe next time you b/p include like one tiny slice instead of just going for it ? Also soda is your friend but not too much otherwise it's comes up as soda.. and pizza

Once I tried soda and I burped a few times but nothing really happened. Frustrating.

#14 bulimicmisfit

bulimicmisfit

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:25 AM

trial and error. I choose my binge food on purgability (is that even a word?).

Normally I do that too but it's getting boring bc it's always the same. I want a b/p with food I love and not just chose over and over the same stuff. Eeeew.

#15 bulimicmisfit

bulimicmisfit

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:27 AM

I think I good rule of thumb is to pick foods that have high liquid retention. Like macaroni and cheese the longer you leave it to cook the smoother it comes back up. I think its really about the liquids paired with it, generally though most things comes back easily with diet soda just avoid spicy foods ugh I'm getting flashbacks.

That's what I thought too. But you know what is totally weird?
I can purge lemon cake. I can purge dark bread. But cannot purge marble cake or pita bread. Fucking annoying.

#16 bulimicmisfit

bulimicmisfit

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:27 AM

Avoid melted cheese like fondu!!!! Jesus I swear I nearly died. The cheese slightly hardens in the stomach and goes lumpy but not hard enough to cough up - choking hazard x 100.

Also other stringy things like the skin on artisan sausages.. shudder.

I can purge slices of cheese but never tried melted cheese.

#17 Whaling_around

Whaling_around

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:14 AM

I haven't learned what I can't purge. I've learned with enough determination and a lack for personal welfare I can get anything up if I so desire... Not recommended! Chocolate used to be a no go for me purging about a year ago, now it's a 'yeah I can do it - just be prepared to lose my voice for a few hours' which is a stupid trade off.

• ThirdNipple and much shiny very happy like this

The Fat Scottish Bulimic 

Currently failing to stop purging...

#18 Roo-barb

Roo-barb

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts
  • LocationUnited kingdom

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:16 AM

I haven't learned what I can't purge. I've learned with enough determination and a lack for personal welfare I can get anything up if I so desire... Not recommended! Chocolate used to be a no go for me purging about a year ago, now it's a 'yeah I can do it - just be prepared to lose my voice for a few hours' which is a stupid trade off.

Same unfortunately.

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

DOCTORR.jpg

#19 bulimicmisfit

bulimicmisfit

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:17 AM

I did that too and I ended up in hospital so that's why I'm skeptical now and scared

#20 JessicaX

JessicaX

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:18 AM

i just try it. i keeping trying to get it up and generally i can although today a problem.  if this happens i just binge again on something i know will help it come up - lindor chocolate is a great tool to use in these cases.

literally dying to feel normal  |  Height 5ft/153cm | SW 132lbs | CW 64lbs | BMI 12.5 | GW 55bs | General Condition Very Poor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users