About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Does anyone else NOT like Harry Potter?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Soft Paws_*

Guest_Soft Paws_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:42 AM

Sorry, not meaning to offend, but personally I find the books a bit obvious, not that exciting and the long descriptions of Quidditch matches are tedious.

I tend to think it's because I read a lot of quite hard core science fiction in my teens and twenties, and Potter seems very soft core in comparison.

Anyone else?

(I did enjoy watching the Potter films, but may not watch them more than once.)

#2 zj0806

zj0806

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:47 AM

same, I think Harry is a selfish, obnoxious character in the books that I found hard to root for. I stopped reading after the 4th book because I just wasn't impressed at all. Movie Harry is a lot more bearable. 

#3 Chemically Grapefruit

Chemically Grapefruit

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:50 AM

Da characters are like my fam lol I'm a saddo i love them. Maybe it's just because i grew up with them and i find the books and audiobooks and the movies incredibly calming.

------What do you do with a sick chemist? If you can't helium, and you can't curium, then you might as well barium.-----

5 foot 7.7

Accountability thread-what-else-can-i-do?

HW:167

LW:104

CW:-----

GW:-----to be happy :)----

What i actually want to be: 100

#4 Guest_Troglodyte_*

Guest_Troglodyte_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:59 AM

I have not read the books or seen the films. 

I grew up on the old fantasy/sci-fi authors (Tolkien, Saberhagen, Moorcock, Zelazny, Ellison, Asimov, etc.). I find some of the newer themes and authors harder to enjoy. It's not that I don't like them, but it does, at times, feel like I'm stuck in the past. :lol: 

#5 Guest_Soft Paws_*

Guest_Soft Paws_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:12 PM

I have not read the books or seen the films. 

I grew up on the old fantasy/sci-fi authors (Tolkien, Saberhagen, Moorcock, Zelazny, Ellison, Asimov, etc.). I find some of the newer themes and authors harder to enjoy. It's not that I don't like them, but it does, at times, feel like I'm stuck in the past.  :lol:

I find newer sci fi is often quite hard to read, like it doesn't make sense easily.

But these days when I go back to older sci fi it's all so blatantly sexist, which I didn't notice as a teen.  I mean, I was always aware Heinlein could have been lynched for his views on underage sex and incestuous families, but most of the rest seemed innocuous back then.  I don't know if it's that the world has changed or just my personal awareness has changed.

#6 lanabanana90

lanabanana90

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Locationcalifornia

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:14 PM

I wouldn't say I HATE Harry Potter, but I think it gets a lot more credit than it deserves. I mean it's understandable that people would like hp if they don't read many books, and I would understand why young kids would like it. Harry potter to me was meh. Maybe I would've loved the book more if Hp wasn't such a cardboard figure. he didn't seem very alive to me. And the whole hp and ginny relationship? That part was really like are you kidding me? 

#7 Guest_Troglodyte_*

Guest_Troglodyte_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:13 PM

I find newer sci fi is often quite hard to read, like it doesn't make sense easily.

But these days when I go back to older sci fi it's all so blatantly sexist, which I didn't notice as a teen. I mean, I was always aware Heinlein could have been lynched for his views on underage sex and incestuous families, but most of the rest seemed innocuous back then. I don't know if it's that the world has changed or just my personal awareness has changed.

This is very true, too. It's still a problem, though perhaps less of one now that more female authors are getting more widely acknowledged. Though Anne McCaffrey was doing good work even years ago, if you haven't read her work. She at least gives it a nod.

#8 Abibliophobe

Abibliophobe

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,121 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 05:23 AM

I wouldn't say I HATE Harry Potter, but I think it gets a lot more credit than it deserves. I mean it's understandable that people would like hp if they don't read many books, and I would understand why young kids would like it. Harry potter to me was meh. Maybe I would've loved the book more if Hp wasn't such a cardboard figure. he didn't seem very alive to me. And the whole hp and ginny relationship? That part was really like are you kidding me?

I like Harry Potter but I think that a lot of the reason I like it so much is because it was the first chapter book I read on my own after years of not being able to read. I knew a girl in high school who was obsessed with hp and I'm not on that scale. However, I agree with this. I did not like the harry/ginny relationship at all. Didn't really care for ron/Hermione either.

Love books? Come check out my blog where I'll discuss all things books!

http://abibliophobe1989.wordpress.com

Please click and follow!

book-gif.gif

#9 Guest_Soft Paws_*

Guest_Soft Paws_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2017 - 11:22 AM

This is very true, too. It's still a problem, though perhaps less of one now that more female authors are getting more widely acknowledged. Though Anne McCaffrey was doing good work even years ago, if you haven't read her work. She at least gives it a nod.

Have you read any of the Women's Press sci fi books?  I've got several, possibly all. They're old now and the Women's Press hasn't existed for a long time but some are very good.  Especially the Native Tongue series by Suzette Hadin Elgin (I think).  Can give you details of titles if you like, Amazon usually has second hand copies.

#10 Edgal Ellen Poet

Edgal Ellen Poet

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:40 PM

I'm an English literature major, and I know a lot of other ELIT majors that want to kill me because I haven't read the HP series! :P

Height: 5'3"
HW: 128
LW: 99

Hips: '36 35 34 33                                                                                              

Waist: '27 26 25 24

tumblr_lse9s1FfPm1qiz8uq.gif

tumblr_inline_mhlq02VuoV1qz4rgp.giftumblr_inline_mhlq23dDnq1qz4rgp.gif   tumblr_inline_mhlpzxLEV71qz4rgp.giftumblr_inline_mhlq3lT82M1qz4rgp.giftumblr_inline_mhlpzgmobD1qz4rgp.giftumblr_inline_mhlq0ooPEh1qz4rgp.gif

tumblr_inline_mhlq4frJh71qz4rgp.giftumblr_inline_mhlq23dDnq1qz4rgp.giftumblr_inline_mhlq3lT82M1qz4rgp.giftumblr_inline_mhlq2qTkN11qz4rgp.giftumblr_inline_mhlq2zhz0M1qz4rgp.giftumblr_inline_mhlpzsRoTU1qz4rgp.giftumblr_inline_mhlq0vzgpl1qz4rgp.giftumblr_inline_mhlpzxLEV71qz4rgp.gif

0252db110f18f49a2e42a3a700014f63-d5okdui

26xBG8QSYDzCQtsE8.gif

#11 Guest_Troglodyte_*

Guest_Troglodyte_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2017 - 07:40 AM

Have you read any of the Women's Press sci fi books?  I've got several, possibly all. They're old now and the Women's Press hasn't existed for a long time but some are very good.  Especially the Native Tongue series by Suzette Hadin Elgin (I think).  Can give you details of titles if you like, Amazon usually has second hand copies.

Maybe? That label does ring a bell, but it's been a very long time. Did they release one or more compilations of short stories by female authors, perhaps? I read anything and everything as a child, but I more or less stopped after 14, and I dropped out of school at 16. I didn't begin regularly reading fiction again until late last year. I'm 34 now. It's almost like starting completely over. :lol: I've definitely never read the Native Tongue series, though. Thank you for mentioning that. I looked up her bibliography, and will be keeping an eye open. That looks like the sort of work I would enjoy. I keep a list of authors on my mobile, so that I can have it handy when I'm shopping for books, so I've added her titles to that list. :lol:

#12 kittensandstarbucks

kittensandstarbucks

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 05:04 PM

I don't hate it, but I just couldn't get into it. I read the first two books, but they just didn't hold my attention. I don't think I even finished the second one tbh. I've found the movies to be mildly entertaining though.

#13 Vampy

Vampy

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 26 February 2017 - 05:02 AM

I was raised by a really religious mum and wasn't allowed to read the books until I was 15/16, and even then it was because she just stopped caring. I enjoyed them while I read them, but they didn't have a long-lasting effect and looking back, I've read many more great books since then. I honestly don't get the hype.

instagram  tumblr ★ 

9EqTp10.png

1.60m - 5'3"

HW: 58kg / 127lbs

LW: 48kg / 105.8lbs

CW: 56kg / 123.5lbs

★ GW1: 50kg /110lbs ★ GW2: 45kg / 99lbs ★ UGW:  40kg / 88lbs 

tumblr_mubrruxufQ1seji7fo2_250.gif tumblr_mubrruxufQ1seji7fo3_250.gif

tumblr_nxm3fquUu91u65h8xo1_400.gif

I'm a slut for Stucky

Creator of the 31 Day Diet and the 20 Day Diet

#14 peelingwell

peelingwell

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • LocationVienna, Austria

Posted 26 February 2017 - 02:40 PM

I tried to get into it because my sister loves it a lot. I read the first book and it was so boring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tumblr_mdko06LdKR1rjhbn2o1_500.gif

#15 Guest_♩ ♪ ♫ ♬_*

Guest_♩ ♪ ♫ ♬_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2017 - 09:34 AM

i wasnt alwoed to read harry potter until i was like 11-ish cause of all the magic and stuff

and at that age i wasnt interested cause a book having to deal with magic just seemed to childish for me

#16 Guest_Soft Paws_*

Guest_Soft Paws_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:18 AM

i wasnt alwoed to read harry potter until i was like 11-ish cause of all the magic and stuff

and at that age i wasnt interested cause a book having to deal with magic just seemed to childish for me

and what do you think of them now?

#17 henhaochi

henhaochi

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:24 AM

- I LOVE the world and the possibilities it creates

- The books are OK, not great, but thas jus me

- JK Rowling's "extras" on Pottermore are doing more harm than good tbh

Real talk: I've never read past the fifth book but I've read 100s of Harry Potter fanfictions because fanfic authors know how to use Rowling's world better than she does. To me, she takes a world that has a lot of potential depth and makes it very flat, black + white, good + evil

Any science fiction recs? I'm about to go to the bookstore and buy some books (as you do... at bookstores...)

thinking_you_could_defeat_me-_me_the_mis

#18 Guest_♩ ♪ ♫ ♬_*

Guest_♩ ♪ ♫ ♬_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:24 AM

and what do you think of them now?

i never read them cause at the point where i was alowwed to read them i had no interest

#19 Guest_Soft Paws_*

Guest_Soft Paws_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2017 - 02:21 PM

i never read them cause at the point where i was alowwed to read them i had no interest

OK.  I thought that maybe, like me, you might have read one or two to see what the fuss was about.

#20 Abibliophobe

Abibliophobe

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,121 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 03:41 AM

- I LOVE the world and the possibilities it creates
- The books are OK, not great, but thas jus me
- JK Rowling's "extras" on Pottermore are doing more harm than good tbh

Real talk: I've never read past the fifth book but I've read 100s of Harry Potter fanfictions because fanfic authors know how to use Rowling's world better than she does. To me, she takes a world that has a lot of potential depth and makes it very flat, black + white, good + evil

Any science fiction recs? I'm about to go to the bookstore and buy some books (as you do... at bookstores...)

Three body problem is supposed to be a really good Sci fi book. It's the first book in a trilogy I believe.
  • henhaochi likes this

Love books? Come check out my blog where I'll discuss all things books!

http://abibliophobe1989.wordpress.com

Please click and follow!

book-gif.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users