About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Why do you have EDNOS (missing criteria for other ED)?

ednos anorexia atypical anorexia ed diagnosis

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 zyxljm

zyxljm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:56 PM

I'm just curious as to why some people (if diagnosed) were given an EDNOS diagnosis instead of anorexia/bulimia. Like, what criteria are you missing? For me, I've been diagnosed with atypical anorexia because I don't have amenorrhea. That's the only criteria that I'm missing out on, everything else fits the anorexia diagnosis. It's not that I want to be diagnosed with anorexia or that I think EDNOS isn't as valid. I just find it odd that if a different diagnostic system was being used (DSM-V instead of ICD-10), I would have a different diagnosis. Anyone else in a similar position? 

#2 EdNose

EdNose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:11 PM

It is a bad thing, that the way it is defined in DSM it is more a matter of degrees of a disorder. If your weight is not low/bad enough or if one or two other criteria is not bad enough, you get the label EDNOS. Or if you are bulimic but purge just a few times less than you need to get that stamp on your forehead. It supports the idea of EDNOS as a second class ED. Not sick enough can in some situations be felt as not good enough. Stupid but true. What is really bad is that if you have EDNOS and ask for help, you might get the response No, we have patients that are much sicker (read lower weight) so we have no room for you. That way the best chance for recovery (if you have not had EDNOS for a long time) is gone. You come back when you are deeper into Anorexias world, and what they do is, at best,  to help you get back to where you were when you first asked for help.
The EDNOS-curse
And yet , as I understand it, more dies from EDNOS than Anorexia 
EDIT Yes, the labels might have a role when it comes to the present treatment. But it is so easy for the Dr:s to mistake us for the label - and for us to identify with the label

• BohemianButterfly11 likes this

Pro-Ana is the attitude we have developed in response to a society that refuses to recognize us. (Quote from Thin Pages in 2001)
Reclaim the right to define who we are.

To me, ProAna is a counterattack against the disorder, against the false labels and the prejudices regarding recovery and against everything that oppresses oss. 
The EDNOS curse - to be stuck in the invisible, unidentifiable nowhere land of neither this or that

Don´t let others define you, don´t let media define ProAna. Not even we can agree what it is but media just think it is bad
Don´t let a label define you. 
And above all STAY SAFE <3

#3 anathepoet

anathepoet

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:11 PM

I also have atypical anorexia because I am not underweight.  I started as obese and now I am a healthy weight, so I've still had massive weight loss, but yeah... not anorexic technically

anathepoet

21 y/o

5'5"

CW: 136.7 (22.7 bmi)

HW: 230 (38.0 bmi)

SW: 171 (28.0 bmi)

LW: current

G1: 155 (25.7 bmi)

G2: 145 (24.2 bmi)

G3: 130 (21.0 bmi)

GW: 115 (19.0 bmi)

UGW: 110 (18.0 bmi)

#4 .snowflake.

.snowflake.

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:17 PM

Also atypical AN  - although noones ever explicitly told me this. I miss it on lack of periods and i'm too fat for the AN diagnosis.

#5 TrippyHippy

TrippyHippy

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • LocationSunny,Florida

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:42 PM

I also have Atypical AN. It just sucks cause I'm underweight but not "underweight enough" to have AN.
  • skinnyhan likes this

#6 Official Piglet

Official Piglet

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts
  • LocationThe Hundred Acre Wood

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:05 PM

I have a bmi of 18.8, so I'm not underweight yet.

Have a fluffy puffy fabulous day! 

#7 princesskiwi

princesskiwi

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • 1,737 posts
  • LocationWashington state

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:46 PM

I also have atypical anorexia because I am not underweight. I started as obese and now I am a healthy weight, so I've still had massive weight loss, but yeah... not anorexic technically

same, i also purge (all three common ways) but not often enough to be bulimic
5'8
SW:230 (summer 2015)
CW:127.6
UGW:115

#8 Guest_DisabledFlower_*

Guest_DisabledFlower_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:21 PM

As others have mentioned, I'm not skinny enough to be considered anorexic. That, and I've binged due to calorie restrictions... and have some history of laxative abuse to compensate for binges.

#9 abysswithinthisemptyshell

abysswithinthisemptyshell

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Locationiowa

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:41 PM

look at my sig

i literally rotate thru all of them

and i dont go all halfsy shit

i go hardcore.

i was purging like 3-5x a day at a few diff low points

ill never be normal

i bounce between 140-200 at 5'9

hw was 260 :o

Smile, you are beautiful.

i give not one flying F about grammar, or punctuation on the internet, as long as you get what im saying what does it matter.

i spend enough time during my days stressing over it with my college homework, so in my spare time i chill, thank for understand and sorry if your a grammar freak and this annoys you <3

HW:260 LW:140    UGW:130 CW:180

:P

ae104a9c88f8bfe469bd29ed5b2f0672.png

59688c665dd754363dd49ec1955c0db1.jpg

#10 abysswithinthisemptyshell

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Locationiowa

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:44 PM

It is a bad thing, that the way it is defined in DSM it is more a matter of degrees of a disorder. If your weight is not low/bad enough or if one or two other criteria is not bad enough, you get the label EDNOS. Or if you are bulimic but purge just a few times less than you need to get that stamp on your forehead. It supports the idea of EDNOS as a second class ED. Not sick enough can in some situations be felt as not good enough. Stupid but true. What is really bad is that if you have EDNOS and ask for help, you might get the response No, we have patients that are much sicker (read lower weight) so we have no room for you. That way the best chance for recovery (if you have not hed EDNOS for a long time) is gone. You come back when you are deeper into Anorexias world, and what they do is, at best,  to help you get back to where you were when you first asked for help.
The EDNOS-curse
And yet , as I understand it, more dies from EDNOS than Anorexia 

fucking thank you

like ive made topics we need a real name

"you have a name. its EDNOS"

not really. -.-

some ppl are just obese and working to under,

but there are plenty out there that rotate thru all the diff types of ED's just like me, and they go hard no matter what stage they are in.

there needs to be a name.

• TinyTabby and Catch 22 like this

i give not one flying F about grammar, or punctuation on the internet, as long as you get what im saying what does it matter.

i spend enough time during my days stressing over it with my college homework, so in my spare time i chill, thank for understand and sorry if your a grammar freak and this annoys you <3

#11 EdNose

EdNose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:14 AM

fucking thank you

like ive made topics we need a real name

"you have a name. its EDNOS"

not really. -.-

some ppl are just obese and working to under,

but there are plenty out there that rotate thru all the diff types of ED's just like me, and they go hard no matter what stage they are in.

there needs to be a name.

I´m not sure if we talk about the same thing. I guess I did not express myself in a way that made sense. Sorry if I upset you. 

Pro-Ana is the attitude we have developed in response to a society that refuses to recognize us. (Quote from Thin Pages in 2001)
Reclaim the right to define who we are.

To me, ProAna is a counterattack against the disorder, against the false labels and the prejudices regarding recovery and against everything that oppresses oss. 
The EDNOS curse - to be stuck in the invisible, unidentifiable nowhere land of neither this or that

Don´t let others define you, don´t let media define ProAna. Not even we can agree what it is but media just think it is bad
Don´t let a label define you. 
And above all STAY SAFE <3

#12 hungry4happiness

hungry4happiness

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:38 AM

I'm too fat for anorexia.

• littlemissskinny1132 likes this

#13 abysswithinthisemptyshell

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Locationiowa

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:36 AM

I´m not sure if we talk about the same thing. I guess I did not express myself in a way that made sense. Sorry if I upset you. 

hm that being labeled ednos makes it feel like you are a second rate ed? or "not as sick"

i was agreeing? that we need a real name lol

• EdNose likes this

#14 in.my.skin

in.my.skin

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:47 AM

I was diagnosed with EDNOS because I was underweight, heavily restricted calories almost all the time, over-exercised daily, and was missing my period.. but I also would binge and purge a few times a week before I started treatment. So they said since I had a little bit of both tendencies, they had to diagnose me "somewhere in the middle"
  • Cassia in vain likes this

#15 Cyborg_Minerva

Cyborg_Minerva

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,044 posts
  • LocationA post-apocalyptic landscape that was once a neighborhood

Posted 27 April 2017 - 08:50 PM

Atypical AN - not underweight yet despite restricting for a long time and losing 140 pounds because I started out extremely fat

Minerva's Science-y Weight Loss and Nutrition Thread

Minerva's Random ass thread of Chaos of memes, not for the sensitive and easily offended

Garden, Cat and Critter Thread (Happy Place forum)

This user could be coming off as tactless due to having autism but probably just actually doesn't like you.

Inannah

^ it's a selfie of me
yus I identify as a blood elf your argument is invalid

#16 PorcelainPoppy

PorcelainPoppy

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • 1,523 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 27 April 2017 - 09:16 PM

I'm not underweight enough to be anorexic, like most people here it seems. 

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

#17 memoirofadolli

memoirofadolli

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 10:27 PM

I was diagnosed with EDNOS because I was underweight, heavily restricted calories almost all the time, over-exercised daily, and was missing my period.. but I also would binge and purge a few times a week before I started treatment. So they said since I had a little bit of both tendencies, they had to diagnose me "somewhere in the middle"

How did you label your binges when they asked? Something I've always wondered from a medical diagnosis standpoint. Is it likw binges 1) mindless out of body eating 2)eating 3000 calories or 3) overeating / normal eating but over your calorie count. Because the only binge I've ever experienced is the third one. I pretty much am just eat the amount of calories that a normal person would eat in a day but when I'm relapsing it's a binge to me. I'm really just purging going over my calorie count nothing mindless about it just frustrated for giving into my cravings.

HT- 5'1

HW-160

CW- 109

LW - 105

GW1--115

GW2 -110

GW3: 105

UGW - 100-95

photo 21867
tumblr_lysod0X3zS1qg1uhdo1_500.jpg

#18 Marie_K

Marie_K

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 12:37 AM

They said i had EDNOS because i wasn't ever truly able to restrict and lose a large amount of weight. I also didn't purge often enough to be considered bulimic. I never had a dangerously low weight. I wasn't "doing it right" my doctor said. 

Cw:130 lbs 

Hw:131 lbs

Lw:115 lbs

Gw1: 125 lbs

Gw2:120 lbs

Gw3: 115 lbs 

Gw4: 110 lbs

Gw5: 105 lbs

UGW: 100 lbs

#19 black sheep

black sheep

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • LocationThe Hospital

Posted 30 April 2017 - 03:04 AM

I have anorexic tendencies but I binge too much and have an almost overweight bmi

another EDNOS bitch

currently relapsing

#20 sans-merci

sans-merci

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 04:22 AM

because I won't let the hospital weigh me so they don't know whether my bmi is under 17.5 or not

Polly. 19. EDNOS.

HW - 120lb

CW - 110lb

LW - 93lb

GW1 - 95lb

GW2 - 90lb

GW3 - 88lb

UGW - 80lb

tumblr ❤️

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ednos, anorexia, atypical anorexia, ed, diagnosis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users