About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Why do you have EDNOS (missing criteria for other ED)?

ednos anorexia atypical anorexia ed diagnosis

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 zyxljm

zyxljm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:56 PM

I'm just curious as to why some people (if diagnosed) were given an EDNOS diagnosis instead of anorexia/bulimia. Like, what criteria are you missing? For me, I've been diagnosed with atypical anorexia because I don't have amenorrhea. That's the only criteria that I'm missing out on, everything else fits the anorexia diagnosis. It's not that I want to be diagnosed with anorexia or that I think EDNOS isn't as valid. I just find it odd that if a different diagnostic system was being used (DSM-V instead of ICD-10), I would have a different diagnosis. Anyone else in a similar position? 

#2 EdNose

EdNose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:11 PM

It is a bad thing, that the way it is defined in DSM it is more a matter of degrees of a disorder. If your weight is not low/bad enough or if one or two other criteria is not bad enough, you get the label EDNOS. Or if you are bulimic but purge just a few times less than you need to get that stamp on your forehead. It supports the idea of EDNOS as a second class ED. Not sick enough can in some situations be felt as not good enough. Stupid but true. What is really bad is that if you have EDNOS and ask for help, you might get the response No, we have patients that are much sicker (read lower weight) so we have no room for you. That way the best chance for recovery (if you have not had EDNOS for a long time) is gone. You come back when you are deeper into Anorexias world, and what they do is, at best,  to help you get back to where you were when you first asked for help.
The EDNOS-curse
And yet , as I understand it, more dies from EDNOS than Anorexia 
EDIT Yes, the labels might have a role when it comes to the present treatment. But it is so easy for the Dr:s to mistake us for the label - and for us to identify with the label

#3 anathepoet

anathepoet

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:11 PM

I also have atypical anorexia because I am not underweight.  I started as obese and now I am a healthy weight, so I've still had massive weight loss, but yeah... not anorexic technically

anathepoet

CW: 147.5 (24.5 bmi)

HW: 230 (38.0 bmi)

SW: 171 (28.0 bmi)

LW: current

G1: 155 (25.7 bmi)

G2: 145 (24.0 bmi)

G3: 130 (21.0 bmi)

GW: 115 (19.0 bmi)

UGW: 110 (18.0 bmi)

#4 .snowflake.

.snowflake.

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:17 PM

Also atypical AN  - although noones ever explicitly told me this. I miss it on lack of periods and i'm too fat for the AN diagnosis.

#5 TrippyHippy

TrippyHippy

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • LocationSunny,Florida

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:42 PM

I also have Atypical AN. It just sucks cause I'm underweight but not "underweight enough" to have AN.
  • osfended and DisabledFlower like this

#6 Official Piglet

Official Piglet

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts
  • LocationThe Hundred Acre Wood

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:05 PM

I have a bmi of 18.8, so I'm not underweight yet.

Have a fluffy puffy fabulous day! 

#7 princesskiwi

princesskiwi

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts
  • LocationWashington state

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:46 PM

I also have atypical anorexia because I am not underweight. I started as obese and now I am a healthy weight, so I've still had massive weight loss, but yeah... not anorexic technically

same, i also purge (all three common ways) but not often enough to be bulimic
5'7.5
SW:230 (summer 2015)
CW:131
UGW:115

#8 DisabledFlower

DisabledFlower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationMy bedroom on most days

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:21 PM

As others have mentioned, I'm not skinny enough to be considered anorexic. That, and I've binged due to calorie restrictions... and have some history of laxative abuse to compensate for binges.

Normality will be restored as soon as we're sure what it is.

#9 abysswithinthisemptyshell

abysswithinthisemptyshell

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Locationiowa

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:41 PM

look at my sig

i literally rotate thru all of them

and i dont go all halfsy shit

i go hardcore.

i was purging like 3-5x a day at a few diff low points

ill never be normal

i bounce between 140-200 at 5'9

hw was 260 :o

Smile, you are beautiful.

i give not one flying F about grammar, or punctuation on the internet, as long as you get what im saying what does it matter.

i spend enough time during my days stressing over it with my college homework, so in my spare time i chill, thank for understand and sorry if your a grammar freak and this annoys you <3

HW:260 LW:140    UGW:130 CW:180

:P

ae104a9c88f8bfe469bd29ed5b2f0672.png

59688c665dd754363dd49ec1955c0db1.jpg

#10 abysswithinthisemptyshell

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Locationiowa

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:44 PM

It is a bad thing, that the way it is defined in DSM it is more a matter of degrees of a disorder. If your weight is not low/bad enough or if one or two other criteria is not bad enough, you get the label EDNOS. Or if you are bulimic but purge just a few times less than you need to get that stamp on your forehead. It supports the idea of EDNOS as a second class ED. Not sick enough can in some situations be felt as not good enough. Stupid but true. What is really bad is that if you have EDNOS and ask for help, you might get the response No, we have patients that are much sicker (read lower weight) so we have no room for you. That way the best chance for recovery (if you have not hed EDNOS for a long time) is gone. You come back when you are deeper into Anorexias world, and what they do is, at best,  to help you get back to where you were when you first asked for help.
The EDNOS-curse
And yet , as I understand it, more dies from EDNOS than Anorexia 

fucking thank you

like ive made topics we need a real name

"you have a name. its EDNOS"

not really. -.-

some ppl are just obese and working to under,

but there are plenty out there that rotate thru all the diff types of ED's just like me, and they go hard no matter what stage they are in.

there needs to be a name.

i give not one flying F about grammar, or punctuation on the internet, as long as you get what im saying what does it matter.

i spend enough time during my days stressing over it with my college homework, so in my spare time i chill, thank for understand and sorry if your a grammar freak and this annoys you <3

#11 EdNose

EdNose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:14 AM

fucking thank you

like ive made topics we need a real name

"you have a name. its EDNOS"

not really. -.-

some ppl are just obese and working to under,

but there are plenty out there that rotate thru all the diff types of ED's just like me, and they go hard no matter what stage they are in.

there needs to be a name.

I´m not sure if we talk about the same thing. I guess I did not express myself in a way that made sense. Sorry if I upset you. 

#12 hungry4happiness

hungry4happiness

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,038 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:38 AM

I'm too fat for anorexia.

#13 abysswithinthisemptyshell

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Locationiowa

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:36 AM

I´m not sure if we talk about the same thing. I guess I did not express myself in a way that made sense. Sorry if I upset you. 

hm that being labeled ednos makes it feel like you are a second rate ed? or "not as sick"

i was agreeing? that we need a real name lol

• EdNose likes this

#14 in.my.skin

in.my.skin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:47 AM

I was diagnosed with EDNOS because I was underweight, heavily restricted calories almost all the time, over-exercised daily, and was missing my period.. but I also would binge and purge a few times a week before I started treatment. So they said since I had a little bit of both tendencies, they had to diagnose me "somewhere in the middle"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ednos, anorexia, atypical anorexia, ed, diagnosis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users