About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Why do you have EDNOS (missing criteria for other ED)?

ednos anorexia atypical anorexia ed diagnosis

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 highclasstrash

highclasstrash

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Locationbeing better than u xoxo

Posted 30 April 2017 - 02:20 PM

Idk what I am at this point but i remember i was just under 90 lbs at one point but they wouldnt diagnose me with anorexia because i didnt lose my period

#22 skinny_fish

skinny_fish

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
  • Locationt h e v o i d

Posted 30 April 2017 - 02:27 PM

Two years ago I was EDNOS because I wasn't underweight, so I ended up with atypical AN. I don't know if that's changed at all (the binging and purging pretty much went from 1-2 times a month to every other day oops) it's easier to just stick with EDNOS.

• squirrelkitty likes this

| 20 | 5' 3 | SW: 157.5 | CW: 124.6 | GW: 115 | UGW: 90 | BPD |
tumblr_n6zha7rHDR1tzlc6mo1_500.gif

#23 99freewilly99

99freewilly99

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 04:34 PM

Im too fat :/

#24 TinyTabby

TinyTabby

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts
  • LocationWandering Through My Own Delusions

Posted 30 April 2017 - 11:39 PM

Because I was anorexic, went to treatment, got myself some bulimia, and now I'm fat

#25 TinyTabby

TinyTabby

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 11:40 PM

Idk what I am at this point but i remember i was just under 90 lbs at one point but they wouldnt diagnose me with anorexia because i didnt lose my period

That's really fucked up

• squirrelkitty likes this

#26 TinyTabby

TinyTabby

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 11:43 PM

They said i had EDNOS because i wasn't ever truly able to restrict and lose a large amount of weight. I also didn't purge often enough to be considered bulimic. I never had a dangerously low weight. I wasn't "doing it right" my doctor said. 

Also wth doctor

#27 Sinister Shadow

Sinister Shadow

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • LocationIn your forgotten memories.

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:57 AM

First of all its because i go through phases (binging) gaining, (eating normal) mantaining and (restricting) losing. And because im too fat to be diagnosed. Anything that i do people think im in a diet, in fact my mom encourages me.
  • Marie_K likes this

1zr0v35.jpg

happry.gif

MY ACCOUNTABILITY

33nyctu.jpg

β€œWhen you're young and healthy you can plan on Monday to commit suicide, and by Wednesday you're laughing again.”  - Marilyn Monroe.

#28 ZZombie

ZZombie

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 08:49 AM

I used to weigh 300 lbs and I'm still overweight, but I only got here because I starved myself. My eating habits are also still pretty unstable to the point where I'm not always in low restriction mode and tend to bounce around from "disordered days" to "normal days", but the thoughts stay. Right now I think it's a pretty fair diagnosis. 

#29 mofitequeen

mofitequeen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 02 May 2017 - 04:24 PM

My therapist listed me as Bulimia so that it opened up treatment options for me but said I was EDNOS. I actually feel I am more Ana than Mia because I don't binge very often, a regular sized plate of food is a binge for me. I tend to restrict and purge usually. But because I am morbidly obese I definitely don't fall into the ana category. Even though by restricting I have lost about 70 pounds. The purging is more recent in the last year or 2. 

HW: 370

LW: 215 (as an adult), 120 (at 11 and a competitive swimmer)

CW: 300

GW1: 250

GW2: 200

GW3: 150

UW: 130

//www.fitbit.com/user/29R8WM

#30 squirrelkitty

squirrelkitty

Sage

• Members
  • 1,225 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 02 May 2017 - 05:10 PM

Atypical AN because I didn't have body dysmorphia or a strong fixation on weight loss (bouts of normal eating too). Maybe that's changed now but I'm not ashamed to have EDNOS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tumblr_nob5m3xgmy1raqntvo3_250.gif tumblr_nob5m3xgmy1raqntvo6_250.gif tumblr_nob5m3xgmy1raqntvo7_250.gif

Spoiler

#31 PandaPupper

PandaPupper

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh?

Posted 03 May 2017 - 11:08 AM

My BMI is over the cutoff for anorexia, because I cycle between bingeing and restricting

*rant*
And my current doctor doesn't even seem to think EDNOS (atypical anorexia) IS an ED, when I was seeking treatment for seasonal depression, he told me to "just get active and lose a little weight". When I told him that i am already active and I didn't appreciate being told to lose weight (BMI of ~22 at the time) because of my eating issues, he said it shouldn't bother me because I'm not anorexic πŸ™ƒπŸ™‚πŸ™ƒπŸ™‚ Like dude, I used my "assertiveness"! Where's my trophy?

#32 Yoru Morino

Yoru Morino

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • 1,328 posts
  • LocationPierce & Pierce / Dorsia

Posted 03 May 2017 - 11:21 AM

I go through periods of "normal" (lol binging) eating and I'm a normal weight.

β€‹β€‹β€‹9289eeb0b030fd640adeb033837c4fcd.jpg

#33 Rain Bones

Rain Bones

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • 1,678 posts
  • Locationprobably still in bed

Posted 03 May 2017 - 11:29 AM

i go into different phases.
sometimes i'll purge most or all of what i eat.
or fast and binge in a way that i maintain
and rn i'm sorta restricting and working out but i'll binge during the weekends and then take laxatives which i think is related to bulimia idk
~Rain

Stats: 5'6.5

currently: fat dolphin 

goal: skinny fucking bitch 

ed insta: rainybones 

accountability 

Spoiler

#34 SnowShakti

SnowShakti

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,993 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 03 May 2017 - 11:33 AM

Because the NHS is weird sometimes? ....

I was told it was, for me, because my highest ever BMI is 19, and when my ED peaked, I 'only' dropped from 17.9 to 17.3, so apparently it's "not so dangerous".

I've never binged or purged etc etc. 

But also I haven't lost my period [even now with a BMI of 16, though my hormones go periodically wonky]. And they were using ICD-10.

It seems also possible due to my age [I was 43 when diagnosed] and petite frame. Plus my primary diagnosis of Depression.

#35 Emo Pepe

Emo Pepe

Sage

• Members
  • 957 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 03 May 2017 - 11:39 AM

Yeah I think in the U.K. the NHS uses ICD-10

I was diagnosed with atypical AN which I think is a form of ednos but more specific...
Mine is because I was like 0.2 points of BMI 17.5 and I had a massive hoodie on with shit in my pocket. Didn't even get asked to take it off??
And also at that point I had only missed one period, I think you have to miss 3 in order for it to be considered amenorrhea.

#36 flowerflesh

flowerflesh

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts
  • Locationhopefully somewhere warm and quiet

Posted 03 May 2017 - 11:49 AM

I'm still at a healthy weight, I'm in "recovery" so I can't restrict super low w/o my parents flipping out, and I don't b/p at all any more. I'm hoping to high restrict my way into meeting AN-R criteria though

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

edda9a6b5ca834da2b890bae3562f3b0.jpg

lily

5'9''

bmi 20.4

in recovery, slowly slowly losing weight

i'm just trying to bloom

<<updated 5/8>>

#37 aoma

aoma

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 03 May 2017 - 12:28 PM

Bc I restrict and binge but don't purge so I'm still fat

if you hate yourself, then with your own hands

destroy the self that you hate and make a new one.

tumblr_nw6lbfkndx1qc3513o2_400.jpg

#38 sixdollardress

sixdollardress

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • LocationQueensland, Australia

Posted 03 May 2017 - 12:51 PM

I'm just curious as to why some people (if diagnosed) were given an EDNOS diagnosis instead of anorexia/bulimia. Like, what criteria are you missing? For me, I've been diagnosed with atypical anorexia because I don't have amenorrhea. That's the only criteria that I'm missing out on, everything else fits the anorexia diagnosis. It's not that I want to be diagnosed with anorexia or that I think EDNOS isn't as valid. I just find it odd that if a different diagnostic system was being used (DSM-V instead of ICD-10), I would have a different diagnosis. Anyone else in a similar position? 

Man, the ICD-10 seriously needs a refresh - eliminating the amenorrhoea requirement is like the best thing the DSM has ever done. 

I was diagnosed with Bulimia when I was IP, because I was low end of normal and B/Ping 3-4 times per day. However, since then I have stopped purging almost entirely, gone into BED type behaviour because I couldn't stop binging, and then circled around to restricting and purging occasionally without being underweight (yet) - so right now I am OSFED/EDNOS of the Atypical Anorexia type. It's been a wild fucking ride. 

YJ3GBJU.jpg

β€œThe difference between how you look and how you see yourself is enough to kill most people.” - Chuck Palahniuk

- Accountability -

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ednos, anorexia, atypical anorexia, ed, diagnosis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users