About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Thoughts on waist trainers

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kasey19

Kasey19

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 12:00 AM

So I just purchased a waist trainer after hearing thousands of mixed reviews. Has anyone ever tried it?? I wonder if it's all its cracked up to be. I heard it helps with overeating and making you feel full but I don't know if it actually truly helps lose inches around your waist

#2 depechemode

depechemode

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 12:42 AM

I haven't tried one - however, I get the mechanics of it. It's like 2017's version of a corset.

If it's tight enough to stop you eating, it may be tight enough to give you hella heartburn.

Since it is essentially a corset, you will *technically* lose inches off the spot you're focusing on. You're not *losing* them though. Waist trainers don't get rid of fat. They just move it and shape it.

• hippie_bones likes this

Stats for nerds in spoiler.

Spoiler

065c68e366bd04d267a0120c820a6503.jpg

#3 Carolina_CLT

Carolina_CLT

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 09:15 AM

I used and liked a waist trainer, but I will start by a little health warning-waist trainers, corsets are not good for you. They compress organs. Use with care. Please don't sleep or exercise with them. Exercising with them is a horrible idea. You need to breathe. Ok, health PSA over.

Waist trainers helped me not eat as much. I used them when I was overweight, and they made weird bulges. But they gave me a smaller waist, which I liked. I'm normal weight now, and I'd probably still have bulges if I got the right size trainer to be effective. I had to dress carefully. But they were very effective at helping me not eat. I wore them during the day at work.

The way they help you lose inches is by compressing your floating ribs. These are ribs that are not attached to your sternum, so they can be moved inward. In toward your organs. Yeah. Don't do that. Plus you need to keep using it to keep pushing those ribs in. The effect is not permanent. Not worth it for long-term "taking inches off your waist."

But as an appetite suppressant, yes. Just don't wear it all the time. Now that I'm a normal weight, I don't wear them anymore. Still losing weight, just not with those.

Good luck. Be safe.
  • kittier and Dainty_Dollanganger like this

#4 greengoblin

greengoblin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 07:44 PM

i have a waist trainer and a corset and i much prefer my corset. you should definitely not wear it while exercising (i wouldn't even recommend it on walks) or sleeping BUT i did wear my corset out in public for hours at a time and it made my waist a lot smaller when i wasn't as heavy as i am now.waist trainers are good too but i found mine didn't really make a difference to my waist, but it did help my stomach.

Height: 5'7
HW/SW: 285.2 lbs 4/9/17
CW: 259.6 lbs 6/15/17

GW 1: 270

GW 2: 260
GW 3: 250
GW 4: 240

GW 5: 230

GW 6: 225

GW 7: 220

GW 8: 210

GW 9: 200

#5 Lady Twisted Wonderland

Lady Twisted Wonderland

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationGotham <-- can someone please give that bat guy my number?

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:20 AM

I wear one every single day, this one to be exact .

I feel weird when I don't wear it now, and I've definitely noticed that I feel less hungry/binge less when I wear it.

I normally only take it off to shower or to switch it with my exercise one.

Honestly, as long as it's a good quality and well made trainer, you should be just fine and most likely will see some kind of progress with your waist.

Run far away from things that look like this though. 100% just for looks.

• Bedlam6687 likes this

Height: 5"4"

HW: 170 lbs
LW: 119.8 lbs

CW: 127.4 lbs

~~~

GW 1: 125 lbs (BMI ??.?)

GW 2: 120 lbs (BMI ??.?)

GW 3: 118 lbs (BMI ??.?)

GW 4: 115 lbs (BMI 19.3)

~GW 5: 110 lbs (BMI 18.9)~

GW 6: 108 lbs (BMI 18.5)

GW 7: 105 lbs (BMI 18.0)

UGW: 100 lbs (BMI 17.2)

UGW2: 98 lbs (BMI 16.8)

Ultimate goal weight. 100 lbs (I NEED my BMI under 17.5)

(But 110 might do it for me too...)

"Fuck you Bulimia- get your shit out of my life" Accountability

Youtube Channel

(I happen to be a "Gaming, Beauty, Life, & Vegan Vlogger and Blogger".)

Official Blog - Instagram - Twitter ~ MyFitnessPal

Anyone can add me as a friend, I wont mind :)

SELF HARM FREE SINCE: 10/10/15 1/3/16
PURGE FREE SINCE: 5/21/2017 <--- FUCK YOU BULIMIA t (-_-t)
jaxlxd.jpg

*Vegetarian going on vegan* VEGAN as of 1/1/16

-Foods that I wish WERE NOT vegan- 

Please click on them- my babies need you :wub:

Klk7d.gif IFE7g.gif ZsKqv.gif HBNTm.gifh7Iby.gifKrBAv.gif

#6 pickle-love

pickle-love

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts, USA

Posted 13 May 2017 - 01:42 AM

Has anyone tried using it only during workouts? I have a rly hard time keeping my core active which leads to overworking my back and neck causing pain. I just have a weak core I guess even though I've noticed improvements, indicating increased strength. But I have read that it kind of tricks you into keeping your core tight so I thought using it during exercise would help.

I just have no desire to wear anything extra otherwise. I have sensory issues and can barely stand bras.

28 y/o | Height = 5'4 | CW: 126.8 lbs | HW: 137 lbs | GW: 120 lbs | UGW: 100 lbs

#7 ImaGoddess

ImaGoddess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationAnother Dimension

Posted 13 May 2017 - 02:38 AM

I have a few and I've been told I can work out in mine but I find it difficult (then again my waist is big so everything is difficult), plus it gets sweaty but I've seen people work out in their waist trainers (ones made specifically for it) 

I've noticed when working out, having something tight around my waist makes it sweat more and I'd sweat off the inches...

I feel like I need to take mine out of the closet and put it on again lol wth have I been slacking for?

Accountability thread

*I swear I don't look as big as I weigh, well, my boobs do but...*

Zoe is GORGEOUS & GOALS!

giphy.gif

Weight Loss Goals & Stats

Spoiler

#8 urfavdrug

urfavdrug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:50 AM

My waist trainer helped me with my weightloss. For me the advantages were:
- i didn't have cravings nor did I overeat
- helped me to follow abc diet which I couldnt earlier
- i wasnt constipated anymore
- my waist got smaller in general but usually when I wanted immediate effects (like before my prom) i wore it for whole day and I looked amazing afterwards.
But the disadvantages tho:
-after a time of constant using it I felt sick sometimes and had stomache aches (bot too bad tho)
- my lower back hurted sometimes when I didn't wear it, but one the site I bought it they said that may happen if I don't exercise my lower back muscles for too long)
- i had gases like a motherfuvker xd idk why it wasnt bad but it happend. It might be even good for me bc I remember going to the doctors when I was little bc of stomache aches caused by too much gases inside my belly

Overall I think it was a good decision to buy it. I lost so much during 3 months of wearing it, that I needed new one bc this waist trainer was too big.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users