About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Advice needed for iron deficiency

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Th1nn

Th1nn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 13 April 2017 - 12:41 PM

So I take multivitamins everyday that have iron in them,yet I still feel like I'll pass out from low iron, I've bought oatmeal that specifically has a lot of iron in it and I still didn't feel like it was enough because I still felt like passing out, can I take more than one multivitamin or is there other foods that would help?

#2 Callipygia

Callipygia

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • LocationMy Throne™

Posted 13 April 2017 - 12:48 PM

How much iron is in your multivitamin? You don't want to overdo it on the iron, as it can be harmful to you. If you're getting 100% of your iron intake from supplements, your feelings of faintness are not likely due to your iron intake and more likely your potassium or food intake overall. 

If you aren't getting enough iron, leafy green vegetables are good sources, or just do a google search on "good sources of iron" 

• numbersgame, enferciel and Th1nn like this

нєιgнт: 5'8"

gw1160 gw2140 gw3: 125  ugw118

є        т          н        є        R            є       α       L

2c9cb122dc5e8c8bde8685d69c00c02d.gif

・゚:RαVєN/DOR. ιNFJ. LєO*:・゚

Accountability

My Fitness Pal (add me!)

#3 shinoa

shinoa

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,084 posts
  • Locationstealing Yuu-san's things

Posted 13 April 2017 - 12:48 PM

Buy iron pills. The multivitamin alone likely has the amount you need in one day, but if your levels are that low you need to be raising them and the multivitamin might not be enough.

You'd only need the one iron supplement a day, and you wouldn't have to worry about trying to have a specific diet, but staying on a multivitamin along with the iron pill would be a good idea because you might have other deficiencies. After about one week being on it, you should start feeling better.

Also: after your iron levels are high enough, you can stop the iron supplements and stick with just the multivitamin.

• Th1nn likes this

tumblr_orf78s2_T5d1vgb4t3o1_1280.jpg

"Virginity is a bad thing, Yuu-san."

shinoa's thinspo

meme thread

tumblr_orvffwupRc1wswk5bo1_540.jpg

#4 Forget-Me-Not-03/12/80

Forget-Me-Not-03/12/80

Omniscient

• Members
  • 5,657 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 14 April 2017 - 08:40 AM

So I take multivitamins everyday that have iron in them,yet I still feel like I'll pass out from low iron, I've bought oatmeal that specifically has a lot of iron in it and I still didn't feel like it was enough because I still felt like passing out, can I take more than one multivitamin or is there other foods that would help?

Iron supplement! Like Euro fer

Recovery the best way to health

36 yr olds

4ft 9in

In recovery

Feeling healthy :)

I've decided to be happy because it is good for my health - voltaire

#5 Dainty_J

Dainty_J

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationHome is where the anchor drops.

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:50 AM

I suffer from anemia as well. I find it easiest to take separate iron supplements however there are a few things I have learnt  throughout the years.
If I take them on an empty stomach they make me feel terribly nauseous -this makes things difficult on fasting days.
Some tablets have molasses included in them which is to aid in 'keeping you regular' as iron has a habit of blocking up your bowel movements.
If I take iron at night I find that I battle to sleep.
Drinking lots of black tea prevents your body from absorbing the iron as efficiently.

• enferciel and AlienFox like this

#6 Dainty_J

Dainty_J

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationHome is where the anchor drops.

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:54 AM

You can supplement your dietary iron by eating things like spinach/broccoli, red meats, certain beans etc. 

If you pull down your bottom lip or your bottom eyelid you can easily monitor your iron levels based on the colouring of the tissue there. It should ideally turn a fleshy pink (think raw chicken) but if it stays a pale peach you might need some more iron.

Hope this helps! 
Stay safe. x

• alyisana likes this

#7 Guest_coffee-&-champagne_*

Guest_coffee-&-champagne_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2017 - 07:36 PM

Can you get a blood test to make sure? I had an iron deficiency and I had to take iron supplements that contained 250% of the daily recommendation 3X per day for about three months for my iron levels to get back to normal. If you do end up having to take supplements I recommend taking it with foods high in vitamin C or drink it with a little bit of orange juice to increase absorption.

#8 Ellsa

Ellsa

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:14 AM

You should do a blood test at your doctor asap. It might not only be an iron deficiency but anemia.

This happened to me 2 years ago and I had to get weekly iron injections for 1 year because my iron levels were so low and the anemia caused by this so severe that iron pills and nutrition wouldn't help anymore.
Please go and see a doctor if you can, the longer you wait the harder it gets to fix the damage.

BMI 17.6

Oh Trudy,

you're with the meanest boy in the hills

I know he's groovy

but he only loves you when he's on pills

It's the heart of yours

it's not your body that makes you ill

And you're so sick with this disco biscuit love

#9 Guest_Cheshire._*

Guest_Cheshire._*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2017 - 10:43 AM

I'm anemic and have to take iron pills 2 times a day to help get my iron levels back to normal then I've got to take a multivitamin to maintain my levels sheesh this is complicated but unless your anemic than the iron in your multivitamin should be enough for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 blesstheshiloh

blesstheshiloh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 12:12 PM

Iron multivitamin with vitamin c. :) Vitamin c helps absorb iron.
  • BlackMort and NerdgasmsNKandi like this

Everybody do the flop.

b7aedcdb3f7dbd4123ee934a29495842.gif

#11 pigeon from hell

pigeon from hell

Omniscient

• Members
  • 6,501 posts
  • Locationin a lonely place

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:24 AM

maybe get a blood test to check for your iron and ferritin levels...?

Losing weight is hard,

being fat is hard,

choose your hard

I know what I want.I think so anyway.

#12 NerdgasmsNKandi

NerdgasmsNKandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationLake Superior

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:02 AM

Take your iron with a vitamin c supplement or you're basically just fortiflying your excrement. Need vitamin c to process it.

#13 Psychotropic

Psychotropic

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 12:05 PM

Vitamin code raw iron is the best. Its pricy but worth it to not feel like you're dying. Dont bother with supplemented foods.

fd0d78f0197d7feb8263c98b65819078.gif

GW: No gravity

CW: Spherical planet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users