About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

What would weights do to these arms? (pics)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kramer

kramer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:06 AM

My arms are super weak and I want to weight-lift just to physically feel better but scared of what it will do to the appearance of my arms.

Like creepy skinny-yet-muscled arms freak me out and I'm worried about protruding veins getting worse. 

I know this question is weird and petty af but looking at my photos can anyone hypothesise what would happen if I weight lifted without eating in a surplus?

Thanks peeps. 

Attached File  IMG_8507_LI.jpg   139.65KB   44 downloadsAttached File  IMG_8055.JPG   120.62KB   42 downloads

#2 Xacatecas

Xacatecas

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:20 AM

Make you stronger. Burn fat. Release endorphins and make you feel better.

You can't build muscle on a deficit. You lack the male hormones to build muscle fast so you can't suddenly get bulky.

Vascularity is tied more to your fat percentage than your muscle. If you lose weight while maintaining muscle ("toning") they will get more pronounced. But again, just stop when you get to a point you like.

Basically its all good stuff.

• tyskinny and Fug Lee like this

#3 magui

magui

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationStockholm, Sweden

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:26 AM

Don't lift weights. You arms are so unhealthyli thin. If you want to get into weight lifting, please try to gain weight first. Good luck hun
My accountability: http://www.myproana....ed-body-checks/

Stats:
Height: 158cm
Start weight: 41.2kg (I was 155cm tall)
Cw: 39.8kg
Hw: 42.5kg
Lw: 32kg
Gw: 28kg but since that won't be possible because of my parents, then I guess I'll just maintain for the moment.
Waist: 58cm
Hips: 73.5cm
Neck: 29cm

#4 Xacatecas

Xacatecas

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:23 AM

Don't lift weights. You arms are so unhealthyli thin. If you want to get into weight lifting, please try to gain weight first. Good luck hun

Strongly disagree - lifting while underweight is not unhealthy or dangerous. If you gain weight without lifting you'll just gain extra unnecessary fat

#5 magui

magui

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:06 AM

Strongly disagree - lifting while underweight is not unhealthy or dangerous. If you gain weight without lifting you'll just gain extra unnecessary fat

Are you for real? -_- Omg! "extra unnecessary fat"? I think more like "necessary fat" cuz she needs that, don't you see how skinny and unhealthy she looks :( Please don't write things that don't make sense, she might believe what you just said and it will hurt her especially what u said is not true. Kramer don't listen to what he or she said, you really need to gain more weight, you are very weak and frail looking. You won't have enough strenght to weight lift anyways so please gain weight first for your own good :)
  • soon40kg likes this

Stats:
Gw: 28kg but since that won't be possible because of my parents, then I guess I'll just maintain for the moment.

#6 Xacatecas

Xacatecas

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:37 AM

Are you for real? -_- Omg! "extra unnecessary fat"? I think more like "necessary fat" cuz she needs that, don't you see how skinny and unhealthy she looks :( Please don't write things that don't make sense, she might believe what you just said and it will hurt her especially what u said is not true. Kramer don't listen to what he or she said, you really need to gain more weight, you are very weak and frail looking. You won't have enough strenght to weight lift anyways so please gain weight first for your own good :)

I didn't ever say she wouldn't be better off by gaining weight?

What I said is completely true. She could gain 5kg of pure fat and still be unhealthy if she does no exercise. If she gained weight through additional muscle, she would look and more importantly BE "toned", athletic and healthy rather than just skinnyfat.

The american council on exercise suggests that women need about 10% body fat. Because she weighs nothing right now, her body fat will be within safe ranges. (Let me spell out that I did not say she has a safe weight...)

Again there is no danger to lifting weights provided she is working within her capability. Somehow I doubt she'll try an world class level squat on day one....

• Fug Lee and blesstheshiloh like this

#7 magui

magui

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:56 AM

I didn't ever say she wouldn't be better off by gaining weight?

What I said is completely true. She could gain 5kg of pure fat and still be unhealthy if she does no exercise. If she gained weight through additional muscle, she would look and more importantly BE "toned", athletic and healthy rather than just skinnyfat.

The american council on exercise suggests that women need about 10% body fat. Because she weighs nothing right now, her body fat will be within safe ranges. (Let me spell out that I did not say she has a safe weight...)

Again there is no danger to lifting weights provided she is working within her capability. Somehow I doubt she'll try an world class level squat on day one....

If she gained weight and it was just fat which it will probably be if she doesnt exercise then she will be at least healthier than she is now. Her body is damaged and need to be repaired from the starvation. It needs REST. So it's totally fine for her to gain only fat cuz she NEEDS THAT. She could start exercising when she is at a healthy bmi and when she gets her period back if she lost it. When she starts exercising at a healthy weight she can lose fat and gain muscle ofc she can but ofc in a healthy way. Also I doubt that exercising will make her feel better at her state right now, it isn't good for her mental state at her current physique. I'm not attacking you or anything aha just expressing my opinion on this :)
  • kramer likes this

Stats:

#8 Fug Lee

Fug Lee

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 09:24 AM

Also I doubt that exercising will make her feel better at her state right now, it isn't good for her mental state at her current physique. I'm not attacking you or anything aha just expressing my opinion on this :)

Hmm. I see where you're coming from but I think exercise, in healthy amounts, will be just right for her mental state right now.  For starters, it would result in healthier weight gain. I'd argue that putting on weight in a healthy way will leave a person "better looking", and thus possibly more confident and happier about that weight gain, than if they were to gain weight by sitting around doing nothing and eating lots. It could also help in establishing good and healthy habits. I know it can also be unhelpful and recovery is very complex either way, but yeah... either way, it certainly is not an easy journey.  And I can see your concern about exercise at low weights. However, Xacatecas isn't advocating hardcore sessions, from what I can gauge.  And gaining just fat (or just muscle) is impossible, anyway. It'll always be some sort of combination unless a person is extremely sedentary, which would be incredibly unhealthy. Sitting for prolonged periods is linked to lots of health complications.

Anyway, OP - obviously ultimately it's your choice... whatever you do, stay safe!

Life does have its ups and downs - the bird shitting on me can almost be an analogy for life: One day you are cruising along, singing to your favourite jam and having a blast when suddenly a bird shits on you, and then you just have to clean yourself up (:

Carry on (:

If you like running, join this thread (click) for support and encouragement! c:

#9 kramer

kramer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:11 AM

Hey just wanted to thank everyone for their input, it helped me think a bit more about avoiding overworking myself and whatnot.
My blood work/vitals are stable and although it's not IDEAL to exercise I feel like "light" weight training will both give me energy and allow my ED to cut me some slack with eating more since I'm not just "lazing about".
It's kind of a compromise I guess? :/

#10 Xacatecas

Xacatecas

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:22 AM

My blood work/vitals are stable and although it's not IDEAL to exercise I feel like "light" weight training will both give me energy and allow my ED to cut me some slack with eating more since I'm not just "lazing about".
It's kind of a compromise I guess? :/

Unfortunately like many compromises, that seems like the worst of both worlds. To me at least "light" weight training basically means you're doing whatever without any kind of plan or progression. You won't see real results in either strength or body change.

To get any form of benefit you need to continually increase a particular stress in order to adapt to it. For sure start off light, but do a tested and proven routine rather than just mess about. I'd suggest http://startingstren...tarted/programs but you can get one which is marketed at women as well such as http://www.strongcurves.com/ 

When you've completed 3-6 months check your photos and you'll be amazed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users