About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

PLEASE READ If Your Use of a Commercial Diet Turned into ED!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 steppinonthescale

steppinonthescale

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 May 2017 - 04:29 PM

Hello! I am still new to mpa so please excuse me if I am not writing this in the correct location.

I am currently composing a research paper for my English class and in addition to other academic sources we are to include, I am required to interview someone to support my stance anecdotally.

Basically, I am writing my paper on how the diet industry is failing due to the misuse of the traditional weight-loss programs as well as other reasons. I am mentioning fitspo/thinspo, for example. But for the purpose of this post, I need someone, or multiple people, who can provide me with some information about how their initial use of commercial weight-loss programs either 1) triggered their eating disorder or 2) brought back their eating disorder. If either of these sound like you, please provide me as detailed as possible responses to the following questions.

NOTE: I will NOT include your username or the origin of these answers in my paper. (Trust me, I do not want my Professor to know that I use this site or that I myself struggle with an eating disorder... Lol). I will only say that I interviewed a dieter whose use of a commercial diet turned for the worse.

1. What commercial weight-loss program/diet plan have you tried? (If you have done multiple, include the one that may have resulted in your ED most)

2. Why did you initially decide to engage in this particular diet?

3. What was your experience with the diet?

4. How did it trigger disordered eating in you? (How has your eating disorder manifested?)

5. Would you ever try a different weight-loss program? Why/why not?

6. How do you view the diet industry today? Is it a good or bad thing for people?

THANK YOU so much! Again, remember, this is all anonymous for my sake as much as your own haha. Have a great day!

#2 llKarumall

llKarumall

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 04:35 PM

I seriously hope NO ONE here does this.

Our eating disorders are serious problems.

Not topics so you can get credit on a paper. 

• depressinglyfat likes this

Please Click My Babies - They Will Die If You Don't!

M6WrP.gif ZDeoD.gif 7O1PE.gif 5kP8U.gif 22IiE.gif

Spoiler

#3 LlamaLord

LlamaLord

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationAussieland

Posted 08 May 2017 - 04:39 PM

Mine didn't come about quite like this but my input is that commercial diets are evil and they prey on overweight people who are vulnerable and desperate and who want to believe in these false promises that the diet companies make. The amount of weight loss they're claiming in one week, two weeks, it's like not possible without an eating disorder or extreme physical sickness that causes your body to burn a lot of fat - and frankly, in that situation, weight loss is PROBABLY the least of your concern.

They're not safe, they're not healthy, and they don't have the person's best interests at heart. They want money and know that while the beauty industry pushes thinness, they can push their stupid supplements or shakes or whatever. Stupid. Hate them. If you tell an overweight person who is desperate and upset and not thinking straight because they just want to be skinny, "You can choose between this personal trainer who will encourage you to lose weight in a safe and sustainable way, or this diet fad that will cause you to lose 20lbs in a week!!" Like bruh.

I actually have a lot of feelings on the treatment of overweight people but these are the most relevant to this post hahahah.

• ChesterB, witchysunflower, steppinonthescale and 1 other like this

I'm doing mine in waist size because I have a 'Mysterious 10 Kilos TM' where I weigh more than I look idk if I'm super muscly or what, it's a mystery

HS: 43 inches

GS1: 39 inches

GS2: 35 inches

GS3: 33½ inches

GS4: 32 inches

GS5: 30 inches

UGS: 28 inches

10 months cigarette free. I fucked up Back on track. Lol fam don't even ask

Taking_LEAD_PuppetStrings_WEB2.jpg

They stole my control over my own body, so I took it back.

#4 steppinonthescale

steppinonthescale

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 May 2017 - 04:49 PM

I seriously hope NO ONE here does this.

Our eating disorders are serious problems.

Not topics so you can get credit on a paper. 

I am literally writing about eating disorders as someone WHO STRUGGLES WITH ONE. Every second of my damn life for 10 years. If you had proceeded to read the rest of the post, I said I am keeping this anonymous for my OWN sake as well as my interviewee. If I want to get credit for the paper, I am REQUIRED to write about this topic. So yes, I do need to interview people on the topic. Do not act like this is a problem exclusive to you.

• ChesterB, saharacassey, Wombattles and 1 other like this

#5 llKarumall

llKarumall

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 04:53 PM

I am literally writing about eating disorders as someone WHO STRUGGLES WITH ONE. Every second of my damn life for 10 years. If you had proceeded to read the rest of the post, I said I am keeping this anonymous for my OWN sake as well as my interviewee. If I want to get credit for the paper, I am REQUIRED to write about this topic. So yes, I do need to interview people on the topic. Do not act like this is a problem exclusive to you.

fully read the post before commenting. 

You can write about your own account then I suppose. 

I find it very offensive that you would ask to interview someone on their serious condition so you can get credit on your paper. 

Spoiler

#6 steppinonthescale

steppinonthescale

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 May 2017 - 04:59 PM

fully read the post before commenting. 

You can write about your own account then I suppose. 

I find it very offensive that you would ask to interview someone on their serious condition so you can get credit on your paper. 

Would you like to tell my professor that? Because I just met with him to go over the progress of my paper and he said that my interview should be with someone who understands when the misuse of weight loss programs goes wrong. I am not trying to exploit anyone. Have you ever read academic journals and studies on eating disorders? The only way these studies are conducted is by interviewing, surveying, and studying those who struggle with eating disorders themselves. And they do so with consent. I am merely following the intellectual path to gaining a better understanding of the mindsets of people with eating disorders as my own is quite obviously subjective.

• ChesterB and saharacassey like this

#7 llKarumall

llKarumall

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 05:02 PM

Would you like to tell my professor that? Because I just met with him to go over the progress of my paper and he said that my interview should be with someone who understands when the misuse of weight loss programs goes wrong. I am not trying to exploit anyone. Have you ever read academic journals and studies on eating disorders? The only way these studies are conducted is by interviewing, surveying, and studying those who struggle with eating disorders themselves. And they do so with consent. I am merely following the intellectual path to gaining a better understanding of the mindsets of people with eating disorders as my own is quite obviously subjective.

But to come onto a forums with people who have depression, self harm issues, and suckish self confidence then proceed to make a post that looks as if all they are good for to you is a report paper? Okay. You do you. I'm out. 

Spoiler

#8 steppinonthescale

steppinonthescale

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 May 2017 - 05:13 PM

But to come onto a forums with people who have depression, self harm issues, and suckish self confidence then proceed to make a post that looks as if all they are good for to you is a report paper? Okay. You do you. I'm out. 

I just don't understand why you're acting like I came on here for the sole purpose of this interview. I was already a member. I only received this assignment a WEEK ago. I am fully empathetic towards everyone who talks about their struggles. I have enough experience with mental illness that I feel very much allowed to ask these types of questions. Alternatively, if I was someone who created an account only to write this post, then I would completely understand your frustration. I am writing about the topic of weight-loss because I understand it very well. And I am writing it to defend those who struggle. I literally write in my paper about the severity of eating disorders and how they are not a lifestyle choice (unlike commercial diets) but a mental illness that should be treated as seriously as any physical illness. If you saw my position in this paper, I believe you would not be getting on my case. But as it stands, I cannot understand your frustration as I have too much experience to act like this is all foreign knowledge to me. 

• ChesterB likes this

#9 Water123

Water123

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 06:06 AM

I really don't understand the problem here. It's perfectly normal (and quite clever) to write about something you have personal experience of. More than that, the more exposure mental illnesses get then eventually the more help that will be available.

Bitchy drama queen "no one is the world suffers like me" reactions belong in the AN forum, not here ;)
  • dancingboness, ChesterB, saharacassey and 7 others like this
This too shall pass

#10 steppinonthescale

steppinonthescale

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:26 PM

I really don't understand the problem here. It's perfectly normal (and quite clever) to write about something you have personal experience of. More than that, the more exposure mental illnesses get then eventually the more help that will be available.

Bitchy drama queen "no one is the world suffers like me" reactions belong in the AN forum, not here ;)

Thank you for not making me feel so guilty!! I was wondering what was so wrong with this post. I utilize any chance I can to bring awareness to mental illness and to destigmatize it. 

• ChesterB likes this

#11 林静Honeybee

林静Honeybee

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • LocationWuhan, China

Posted 16 May 2017 - 12:13 AM

1. What commercial weight-loss program/diet plan have you tried? (If you have done multiple, include the one that may have resulted in your ED most)

• Weight Watchers (this is the one that really messed me up)
  • Atkins

• WW: Mom put me in it in 3rd grade. When I went back the second time, it's because I knew the system worked and wanted to lose weight.
  • Atkins: Again... Mom and dad. The whole family did it and I saw it work. So I tagged along.

• WW: I always felt hungry. I could eat crap as long as I counted it. 
  • Atkins: The fact that I could get away with eating so much meat and cheese and butter is mind-blowing. I got so sick.

4. How did it trigger disordered eating in you? (How has your eating disorder manifested?)

• WW: Numbers became a big deal and I got used to feeling hungry.
  • Atkins: It taught me rules and completely banning certain food groups.

• Not unless I could do it for free. There's something that works for everyone.
  • Because I want to lose weight so badly, I'm willing to almost try anything.

6. How do you view the diet industry today? Is it a good or bad thing for people?

• The diet industry feeds our disorders and tells us there's something wrong with our bodies.
  • In some ways, it's good. For people who aren't pre-disposed to Anorexia, bulimia, BED, etc... A lot of these programs really work. For others, it only leads to struggle and emotional turmoil.

Good luck on your paper. It's good to know there are people out there who care about exposing the truth about the diet industry. :)

• dancingboness, MumOf2Tummy and steppinonthescale like this

gemkS.gif2Gq4D.gif szwff.gifJtlsw.gifEKxxu.gif oGTcC.gifB95WP.gifK3h0C.gifdDepr.gifYqMLr.gif

eRMIk.gifISIqj.gif D5tRY.gif92ixY.gif hDIJT.gif 0ZqmJ.gifOQPTj.gif

*~My Accountability Thread: Skinny In Wuhan~*

"Courage, dear heart." -C.S. Lewis

SW: 223.7 lbs, CW: 192.3 lbs, GW1: 180 lbs, GW2: 150 lbs, UGW: 120 lbs

113748699.png

#12 saharacassey

saharacassey

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 03:53 PM

I don't want to make anyone feel bad for their opinion but honestly I think it was fine if you to ask.
If people are happy to oblige then cool if not then don't answer the questions.
You're not the first person on here to write a paper on ED's and ask for people's stories but you are the first I've seen to have your intentions questioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • dancingboness and steppinonthescale like this

#13 steppinonthescale

steppinonthescale

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 May 2017 - 03:43 AM

• Weight Watchers (this is the one that really messed me up)
  • Atkins

• WW: Mom put me in it in 3rd grade. When I went back the second time, it's because I knew the system worked and wanted to lose weight.
  • Atkins: Again... Mom and dad. The whole family did it and I saw it work. So I tagged along.

• WW: I always felt hungry. I could eat crap as long as I counted it. 
  • Atkins: The fact that I could get away with eating so much meat and cheese and butter is mind-blowing. I got so sick.

• WW: Numbers became a big deal and I got used to feeling hungry.
  • Atkins: It taught me rules and completely banning certain food groups.

• Not unless I could do it for free. There's something that works for everyone.
  • Because I want to lose weight so badly, I'm willing to almost try anything.

• The diet industry feeds our disorders and tells us there's something wrong with our bodies.
  • In some ways, it's good. For people who aren't pre-disposed to Anorexia, bulimia, BED, etc... A lot of these programs really work. For others, it only leads to struggle and emotional turmoil.

Good luck on your paper. It's good to know there are people out there who care about exposing the truth about the diet industry. :)

Thank you so much!!! This is so helpful. And I loved reading your insight. 

• 林静Honeybee likes this

#14 Xermasa

Xermasa

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 21 May 2017 - 04:02 AM

I agree, I think it's fine that you're asking. It's hardly exploiting if people are volunteering information. You're not threatening anyone or collecting information without their knowledge.

• dancingboness likes this

vegan.

4'7"

SW: 120 lbs. // CW: 106 lbs. // UGW: 85 lbs.

GW1: 110 - New Laptop

GW2: 100 - New Tattoo

GW3: 90 - New Phone

UGW 85 - Vacation!!!

Longest Fast: 103 Hours // Mono Days: 3

@xermasa on Peach and Instagram

Accountability

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users