About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Need Advice for Keto

weight loss health reasons advice

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Female

Female

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 07:29 AM

I'm Starting Keto tomorrow for health reasons/weight loss but I've got no idea where to start and what type of foods to eat. I'm a vegetarian and I'm going to keep my intake around 1200/1300 per day.

I'm using a App called KetoDiet to keep count of my calories/fat/carbs etc.

To any previous Keto dieters how did you start your journey?

uJyIiX5.png

Spoiler

Audrey-Hepburn-Gif-audrey-hepburn-240014

#2 betterpsych

betterpsych

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Locationcalifornia

Posted 12 May 2017 - 08:40 AM

Your macros/calorie goal look good!

When I started keto I found it pretty difficult at first (but you may be more disciplined than me). I used to go through restricting and b/p cycles, so I think I had a serious sugar dependency to work through. The first few days your body is deprived of carbs you may feel dizzy and nauseous (look up keto flu for more info) but then many find that they feel significantly better and their hunger seriously decreases.

I just dove right in--but like I said, I struggled and ended up going in and out of ketosis within the first ~8 days. This was a result of restricting too much (~500 kcal and starting keto, then binging the next day).

I would say do what works for you--but diving in is likely the best option. If you're worried about the sugar, use diet coke and sugar free jello cups (oh shit gelatin) to gradually ease your mind out of that craving. 

If they suit your vegetarianism--eggs are great option. I typically make an omelette from 2 egg whites (34 kcal, .4 g carbs) and chop up a small amount of broccoli or spinach, then use salt and pepper for flavor (spices are your best friend).

Romaine lettuce is another great option--but be wary of carb-filled salad dressings. I use Newman's Lite Italian (2 tbsps is 60 kcal, 6 g fat, 1 g carbs).

Since you're a vegetarian, you should absolutely eat cheese. I can't really stand dairy after a long time with veganism--but they're really crucial to doing high-fat low-carb (which you need to get into ketosis). You're pretty much done with starch and sugar.

For a community/recipes of people specifically doing vegetarian, check out https://www.reddit.c...vegetarianketo/ and for low-calorie (but not always vegetarian), https://www.reddit.com/r/1200isplentyketo/

Hope this helped--good luck!

• Female likes this

#3 Female

Female

Sage

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 11:42 AM

Your macros/calorie goal look good!

When I started keto I found it pretty difficult at first (but you may be more disciplined than me). I used to go through restricting and b/p cycles, so I think I had a serious sugar dependency to work through. The first few days your body is deprived of carbs you may feel dizzy and nauseous (look up keto flu for more info) but then many find that they feel significantly better and their hunger seriously decreases.

I just dove right in--but like I said, I struggled and ended up going in and out of ketosis within the first ~8 days. This was a result of restricting too much (~500 kcal and starting keto, then binging the next day).

I would say do what works for you--but diving in is likely the best option. If you're worried about the sugar, use diet coke and sugar free jello cups (oh shit gelatin) to gradually ease your mind out of that craving.

If they suit your vegetarianism--eggs are great option. I typically make an omelette from 2 egg whites (34 kcal, .4 g carbs) and chop up a small amount of broccoli or spinach, then use salt and pepper for flavor (spices are your best friend).
Romaine lettuce is another great option--but be wary of carb-filled salad dressings. I use Newman's Lite Italian (2 tbsps is 60 kcal, 6 g fat, 1 g carbs).
Since you're a vegetarian, you should absolutely eat cheese. I can't really stand dairy after a long time with veganism--but they're really crucial to doing high-fat low-carb (which you need to get into ketosis). You're pretty much done with starch and sugar.

For a community/recipes of people specifically doing vegetarian, check out https://www.reddit.c...vegetarianketo/ and for low-calorie (but not always vegetarian), https://www.reddit.c...00isplentyketo/

Hope this helped--good luck!

Thank you so much for helping!

Would eggs and a little veg get me into ketosis? Are avocados a good choice to have also?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Spoiler

#4 Beletseri

Beletseri

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • LocationColorful Colorado

Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:15 PM

Avocados are amazing for getting into Ketosis. :)

Try to stay away from fruits, of course, as they are fairly high in carbs, but there are lots of vegetables you can eat - Asparagus, Zucchini, Lettuce, Spinach, Cauliflower, Eggplant, etc. are all good staples to have. Stay away from carrots and tomatoes as much as possible.

https://forum.bodybu...php?t=132598293 - A great visual guide on what works and what doesn't for keto

• Female likes this

5'2 // 26
CW • 109.2 lbs / 49.5 kgs / 20 BMI
HW • 135 lbs / 61 kgs / 24.7 BMI

SW • 126 lbs / 57 kgs / 23.0 BMI
LW • 92 lbs / 42 kgs / 16.8 BMI
GW • 110 lbs / 50 kgs / 20.1 BMI / By May 22nd / Achieved May 19th

UGW • 100 lbs / 45.4 kgs / 18.3 BMI / By June 18th
UUGW • 90 lbs / 41 kgs / 16.5 BMI / By July 31st

Gonna ride this horse till it bucks me off, and I'm forced to shoot it down.

Accountability // Selfies

sitw_by_pony_bones-db61abs.gif

#5 Female

Female

Sage

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:36 PM

Avocados are amazing for getting into Ketosis. :)

Try to stay away from fruits, of course, as they are fairly high in carbs, but there are lots of vegetables you can eat - Asparagus, Zucchini, Lettuce, Spinach, Cauliflower, Eggplant, etc. are all good staples to have. Stay away from carrots and tomatoes as much as possible.

https://forum.bodybu...php?t=132598293 - A great visual guide on what works and what doesn't for keto

Tomorrow I'm having 8 eggs with 1 carrot, 100g broccoli, 45g cheddar cheese, 2 mushrooms, mixed salad and a whey protein shake in the morning would this start ketosis? Or are the eggs too much protein? I'm finding it much harder being vegetarian. Thank you for the suggestions by the way! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Spoiler

#6 betterpsych

betterpsych

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Locationcalifornia

Posted 13 May 2017 - 01:14 AM

Absolutely! Basically just think (moderately) low protein, low carb, and high fat to first achieve ketosis. The first few days in achieving this state may require more carb restriction than later on.

The eggs aren't the primary concern imo--if you can cut out/substitute the carrot, that would be good. A medium carrot is ~6 carbs and has little other macronutrient value. Also--I find that eating egg whites is incredibly helpful. They're filling, good, and have much fewer calories/carbs/protein than the entire egg. Maybe make this switch for a few of your allotted eggs so that your brain/body feels satisfied, but you aren't consuming as many carbs and protein.

and one suggestion: that food plan is roughly approaching 20 carbs, so you might want to consider giving yourself a little more buffer room because you aren't accustomed yet to the carb deprivation and don't want to feel stuck (and not have the zero carb meat option).

Hope this helped!

• Female likes this

#7 Starving_Artist314

Starving_Artist314

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 11:01 PM

I've been on keto a while and I love it.  I highly recommend the r/keto subreddit.  So much good information in there.

71717945.png

#8 inwonderland9

inwonderland9

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts
  • LocationBerlin Germany

Posted 14 May 2017 - 02:24 AM

What is the tracker you are using? It looks neat.

#9 Female

Female

Sage

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 04:58 AM

What is the tracker you are using? It looks neat.

KetoDiet I think I removed it though 

Spoiler

#10 Female

Female

Sage

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 05:03 AM

I've been on keto a while and I love it.  I highly recommend the r/keto subreddit.  So much good information in there.

Absolutely! Basically just think (moderately) low protein, low carb, and high fat to first achieve ketosis. The first few days in achieving this state may require more carb restriction than later on.

The eggs aren't the primary concern imo--if you can cut out/substitute the carrot, that would be good. A medium carrot is ~6 carbs and has little other macronutrient value. Also--I find that eating egg whites is incredibly helpful. They're filling, good, and have much fewer calories/carbs/protein than the entire egg. Maybe make this switch for a few of your allotted eggs so that your brain/body feels satisfied, but you aren't consuming as many carbs and protein.

and one suggestion: that food plan is roughly approaching 20 carbs, so you might want to consider giving yourself a little more buffer room because you aren't accustomed yet to the carb deprivation and don't want to feel stuck (and not have the zero carb meat option).

Hope this helped!

I've been adding a little mayo and lots of cheese to my eggs but today I added some butter in with the eggs along with some cheese and of course some salt. I'm trying to use up the eggs from the other day that I cooked and put in the freezer some of it had added mozzarella and the other had just cheddar cheese trying to get my fat intake higher.

Thank you for the information very informative by the way. 

Spoiler

#11 Starving_Artist314

Starving_Artist314

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 09:21 AM

Yeah I use mayo, butter, I also cook my eggs in coconut oil.  I tend to avoid cheese because thanks to my years of lax abuse, cheese and I are no longer friends. =/

Spinach and avocados are also really good - I tend to keep my carbs under 20g per day, so on my really low days I'll toss in some Adam's peanut butter. I love that stuff. :D

• Female likes this

71717945.png

#12 Thatfeelingwhen

Thatfeelingwhen

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 12:02 AM

supposedly your calories should be 70% from fat, 25% from protein, and 5% from carb. I read this on the reddit keto page and also on websites dedicated to the keto diet. 

FYI 

fats are 9 calories per gram while protein and carbs are 4 calories per gram...

so for example if your daily calorie goal is 1,000 calories then 700 of your total calories should come from fat which is 77.7 grams of fat, 250 of your total calories should come from protein which is 62.5g of protein, and 5% of your calories should come from carbs which is 12.5g of carbs. 

Spoiler

#13 xLuvcatx

xLuvcatx

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:41 AM

Today is day 1 on vegetarian keto. I'm so thankful to find another veggie keto person! Everyone around me was poking fun and telling me it can't work without meat. I'm determined to prove them wrong! :)

Height: 5'1

Hw: 240

Cw: 230

GW1: 200

GW2: 160

UGW: 130 (but secretly shooting for 120 or less)

GW: 230, 210, 200,190,180,165,150,130

"An ED doesn't care what your morals are. It will take those morals, beat them to a bloody pulp right before your eyes, and then place the weapon in your hands." 

#14 xLuvcatx

xLuvcatx

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:48 AM

I'm Starting Keto tomorrow for health reasons/weight loss but I've got no idea where to start and what type of foods to eat. I'm a vegetarian and I'm going to keep my intake around 1200/1300 per day.

I'm using a App called KetoDiet to keep count of my calories/fat/carbs etc.

To any previous Keto dieters how did you start your journey?

uJyIiX5.png

The app pictured is KetoDietTracker. I have it too. But you have to subscribe to it to actually use it. It's $12/yr so $1/mo. I went ahead paid for it because it really helps to visually see what I'm taking in. Plus the fun circle display makes it more enjoyable. Oh and it's user friendly and easy. I also have an app called KetoDietBasic. It doesn't track anything BUT it is super helpful regarding info on Keto (the science behind it)as well as many recipes and success stories. It's actually pretty neat. It even gives you a shopping list, meal plans and all you need to know to do the diet correctly. It is also a paid app but It's only a one time charge of $2.  :)

Height: 5'1

Hw: 240

Cw: 230

GW1: 200

GW2: 160

UGW: 130 (but secretly shooting for 120 or less)

GW: 230, 210, 200,190,180,165,150,130

"An ED doesn't care what your morals are. It will take those morals, beat them to a bloody pulp right before your eyes, and then place the weapon in your hands." 

#15 mrskline

mrskline

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • LocationOC, California

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:51 PM

Eggs, cheese, grass fed butter, avocados are all staples for me. (assume you're OK with dairy)

31 year old mom of 2. Yes, I know, I'm too old for this shit. 

5'9

HW: 165 (185 postpartum, if that counts)

LW:  129

CW: 140

GW1: 130

GW2: 120

#16 sfernanded

sfernanded

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:50 AM

When starting the keto diet, you want to make sure that you hit your fat and protein goals while you keep carbohydrates low. To do so, I recommend that you enter your stats into the Keto Calculator. This will give you completely customized numbers of macro goals to hit each day.

The difference between need and want is self-control

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: weight loss, health reasons, advice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users