About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

using 'dude' or 'man' or 'boi'

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 haxel.princess

haxel.princess

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts
  • Locationhell

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:46 PM

I'm going to start out by saying I'm a cis, mostly straight, female so i won;t be able to fully understand what being trans* or non-hetero is like but i want to be a better ally and really treat people with the respect they are given. 

Now, I being from california, use names like 'dude', 'mam', 'boi', 'bto' etc as gender neutral terms. I've called cis female and cis male and rans male people this casually and they've all been fine. I know that it will be a different case for each person but I wonder what people who don't identify as male feel about people using those terms and what alternatives are. To me it seems like it can cause some dysphoria which i really on't wanna cause. 

• LlamaLord likes this

29-adam-driver-interview-001.w1200.h630.

tumblr_obs2nqiR3F1syq7xqo1_500.jpg

Spoiler

#2 LlamaLord

LlamaLord

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationAussieland

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:49 PM

Cis female here and I also call everyone dude/boi/man/bro regardless. And I'm fine with being called that.

I'm doing mine in waist size because I have a 'Mysterious 10 Kilos TM' where I weigh more than I look idk if I'm super muscly or what, it's a mystery

HS: 43 inches

GS1: 39 inches

GS2: 35 inches

GS3: 33½ inches

GS4: 32 inches

GS5: 30 inches

UGS: 28 inches

10 months cigarette free. I fucked up Back on track. Lol fam don't even ask

Taking_LEAD_PuppetStrings_WEB2.jpg

They stole my control over my own body, so I took it back.

#3 baburun

baburun

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • LocationHyrule

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:00 PM

cis female, I definitely use dude as a gender neutral term. Like dude. Seriously dude. <-- it's more of an expression than a label? 

66e4d3fe55b71a83d4fed58f516b0aff.png

#4 Bugbear

Bugbear

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,869 posts
  • Locationupside down

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:09 PM

*another cis female* i also call everyone those names because to me it's not really an identifying term. everyone is bro, man, boi, dude to me bcus theyre just kinda nicknames at this point if ya feel me..?

or when i say "hey guys" it doesn't necessarily mean i'm calling those people male. they're just my pals or people i know

My Accountabilityhttp://www.myproana....gy/#entry957896

My Photo Dump: http://www.myproana....

SIZex.gifS9iQg.gifZCplw.gifmKQFO.gifWF8NH.gif H5Ltm.gif qegTh.gif7gyTZ.gifNjtYF.gifiXjW1.gifVeoje.gifWYOui.gif

~Click My Eggies~ 
                                                                                                                                                                            B5N4l.gif21Mh3.gifZLfPh.gifcZwZz.gifXj46H.gif                                           

#5 Ryeder

Ryeder

Omniscient

• Members
  • 5,654 posts
  • LocationTrying to Find My Damn Glasses

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:16 AM

When I ask anyone in the trans community about the term "dude" or "hey guys" mostly people tell me that it's not a big deal. Like, if someone pulls you aside and says "I'd really like it if you didn't call me a dude. It makes me uncomfortable" abide by that. But in general? Don't remove non-insulting words from your vocabulary because you're afraid of insulting a single, particular individual who may or may not be encountered. 

I use "dude" and "y'all" and "guys" in just about every hour of every day. They've become nearly gender neutral and unless someone specifically tells me that it bothers them, or that they're struggling with being considered masculine or feminine or whatever, I probably won't think about it. But if someone brings it up, that becomes different. 

• haxel.princess, witchysunflower, corvidaecanine and 2 others like this

Look at this smile. Is this the smile of someone sane? 

MPA's Local Drunk

MPA SW: 172

CW: Will Update In Accountability Eventually

#6 Broken Princess

Broken Princess

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationMallaig

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:13 AM

Honestly it doesn't bother me. I'm kind of tired of thinking of gender so much!

#7 katsuhira

katsuhira

Omniscient

• Members
  • 6,040 posts
  • Locationa small cabin in the woods, trying not to get murdered by irresponsible and bloodthirsty high school teachers

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:53 AM

When I ask anyone in the trans community about the term "dude" or "hey guys" mostly people tell me that it's not a big deal. Like, if someone pulls you aside and says "I'd really like it if you didn't call me a dude. It makes me uncomfortable" abide by that. But in general? Don't remove non-insulting words from your vocabulary because you're afraid of insulting a single, particular individual who may or may not be encountered. 

I use "dude" and "y'all" and "guys" in just about every hour of every day. They've become nearly gender neutral and unless someone specifically tells me that it bothers them, or that they're struggling with being considered masculine or feminine or whatever, I probably won't think about it. But if someone brings it up, that becomes different. 

Yeah, for the most part "dude" and "guys" and even "bro" are common to use regardless of gender so I agree it's not worth it to try changing your vocabulary when the words aren't even rude or offensive

Unless someone specifically asks not to be called a certain word you don't need to bother worrying about it (and even afterwards there's not anything to worry about, just stop using that word with them and move on. There's nothing more awkward than someone spending an entire hour going "omg I'm SOOO sorry I'm such a bad friend for using that word with you" and turning it into something about themselves where you have to comfort them when it isn't about them and drama was what you hoped to avoid in the first place)

tumblr_mrdwwdLnAT1ruhnpbo1_400.png

“They say I'm up and comin' like I'm fuckin' in an elevator.”

kacchon's thinspo

brain dead meme thread

tumblr_mrdwwwk2nc1ruhnpbo1_250.png

tumblr_o63v4rkNnr1qam6y9o4_540.gif

#8 shepaintsingrey

shepaintsingrey

Omniscient

• Members
  • 3,853 posts
  • Locationidk

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:33 PM

most people will tell u if it bothers them

grey

they/them pronouns

stats / cant update until late may

Spoiler

accountability

thinspo

rants

gifs

Spoiler

i'm a genderless void does that count?

#9 feelgoodinc

feelgoodinc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:39 PM

I don't identify with a particular gender, and I'm ok with being called dude/boi/guys/etc, in fact, I love it!  :) Guess it depends on the person. 

They/Them | EDNOS | No squealing, remember that is all in your head.

dNluDtG.pngzIt9goe.pngOH5AUK5.png

#10 Sexycactus

Sexycactus

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted Yesterday, 09:14 AM

Tbh with me I'm going to be obnoxious and call the entire planet 'bruh'- Hell I sometimes address my partner as his royal buttness'... 😂

I'm like mentally 12.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users