About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Eating Too Few Calories = Mental Break?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Hahawaitwhat

Hahawaitwhat

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:10 AM

Do any of you experience severe mental health problems when consuming too few calories? I don't just mean hangry, but actual suicidal thoughts and feelings like your mind is just spinning out of control?

Like for example, Wednesday I had 850 cals and I was fine. Yesterday I had 385 calories for breakfast, a couple of cups of coffee, lots of water and skipped lunch and dinner and by the end of the day I was practically hysterical.

I wish I could just be one of those people who fast without it meaning going nuts-o.

708hg1.jpg

#2 Ruby June

Ruby June

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:15 AM

Yes, my mental health goes to absolute shit if I don't eat a "normal" amount of food.

• Sydney and Hahawaitwhat like this

C'mon skinny love just last the year...

5'3

HW: 99.8 lbs

LW: 78.2 lbs
CW: 91 lbs

UGW: 70 lbs

Accountability

Twitter

MyFitnessPal

Instagram

Ask.Fm

#3 Laetitia134

Laetitia134

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  • LocationParis

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:32 AM

i normally get very depressed when i restrict low.

i become quite literally dead inside, like i cannot function normally and just stay at home all day pitying myself

• Sydney, buzzlightyear and Hahawaitwhat like this

tumblr_milrnxPGJV1rorvmdo1_500.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gif

#4 Nerys

Nerys

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:50 AM

Malnutrition can cause depression and anxiety even with people who have no previous history of mental illness. So it's very natural that this happens. Be careful yeah, if you can up your intake a bit that would be good. You don't want to end up doing something you'll regret
  • Harrow and sadsongseattle93 like this

Accountability (w/ pics) | Mono's | Cheesy adventures | CBMI: 16.1 | GBMI: 15

#5 Ellex87

Ellex87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:59 AM

I turn into a rage'oholic if I try to go any less than 700. Seriously, I become a terrible person and mean as hell.
  • Hahawaitwhat likes this

#6 Thyalie

Thyalie

Green Dust Bunny

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,729 posts
  • LocationThe darkest Warren of Wonderland

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:01 AM

It worsens my depression and makes me more vulnerable for anxiety attacks, yes...

And they went so fast that at last they seemed to skim through the air, hardly touching the ground with their feet, till suddenly, just as Alice was getting quite exhausted, they stopped, and she found herself sitting on the ground, breathless and giddy. The Queen propped her up against a tree, and said kindly, 'You may rest a little now.'

Alice looked round her in great surprise. 'Why, I do believe we've been under this tree the whole time! Everything's just as it was!'

'Of course it is,' said the Queen, 'what would you have it?'

'Well, in OUR country,' said Alice, still panting a little, 'you'd generally get to somewhere else - if you ran very fast for a long time, as we've been doing.'

'A slow sort of country!' said the Queen. 'Now, HERE, you see, it takes all the running YOU can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!'

✿(Lewis Carroll - Through the Looking-Glass)✿

fERgN.gifyN6MY.gifLd6bq.gifjhrWj.gifUFMa9.gifmzfsN.gifsEBfq.gif

YvDMK.gif    UsaSV.gif    1nxrR.gif

g6iy2.gifAFj0o.gifBNyhN.gifvB1J4.gif

I also have an accountability now ^_^ ✴ Click here ✴

#7 [email protected]

[email protected]

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,451 posts
  • LocationNot where I want to be

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:08 AM

yes me too. I I absolutely must restrict, then I fast for a day. I cannot heavily restrict without feeling horrible. If I eat 800-1200 calories, I feel fine. If I eat 300-500, I have no energy, I'm dizzy, and extremely irritable. 2 days ago, I ate 300 calories, the next day I went to work and almost passed out about 3 times, and had absolutely no energy. I was useless. Last night, I ate 1300 and felt much better.. a little guilty after restricting heavily then eating so much, but I feel better

5'4"
CW: 81lbs whoops.. what's 1 more pound?
GW1: 80lbs

GW2: 76lbs
UGW3: 70lbs

#8 Acherontia styx

Acherontia styx

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • 2,261 posts
  • LocationConstanța

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:09 AM

Depressed, anxious and twitchy

#9 Harrow

Harrow

Omniscient

• Members
  • 3,137 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:12 AM

I just get tired, and I honestly feel better. Though maybe it's just the lack of anxiety produced when I do eat higher.

Cause I'm depressed/anxious anyways.

#10 cylinn

cylinn

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Locationcloset

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:42 AM

Everytime I try to restrict lower, I get super hangry and depressed. Everything irritates me, I literally can't take being around people. I feel sooooo much better on around 1000 calories a day.

asexual agender

they/them

Stats:

Height: 173 cm/5'8"

HW: 65 kg/143 lbs BMI: 21,7

CW: kill me x.x (didn't weigh myself for over a month)
LW: 51 kg/112 lbs BMI: 17

c51ba4d0-e6de-0132-4654-0ebc4eccb42f.gif

#11 RandomPanda

RandomPanda

Omniscient

• Members
  • 2,596 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:58 AM

idk but i've been below 500 for the last 4 days or so and bam, depression, suicidal thoughts, anxiety. 

everything came back

Ma tu chi sei che avanzando nel buio della notte inciampi nei miei più segreti pensieri?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users