About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

I absolutely HATE when people tell me...

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_LongingForSkinny_*

Guest_LongingForSkinny_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:11 PM

"Girls look better with some meat on their bones."

I mean, I know everyone has a different opinion on what type of body is attractive, but personally, I've never seen a skinny, beautiful girl and thought, "She'd look better if she weighed more."

Maybe it's just me...but I think it's a dirty lie when people tell me, "Don't stress about your weight. Curvy girls are prettier." I feel like they're just trying to make me feel better for being fat.

It just makes me wanna lose weight even MORE.

<3 ESSIE.

• iwantin, robby_lee, Livetobethin and 4 others like this

#2 Avvikelsen

Avvikelsen

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:14 PM

I know exactly what you mean! To me it's a complacency thing. And complacency is disgusting.
  • Dromporge likes this

#3 Guest_Bittersweetella_*

Guest_Bittersweetella_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:15 PM

Honestly, I think it's because they don't want you thinner than them. People are like that :P

• iwantin, Rafflesia arnoldii, Twigs-n-Sticks and 3 others like this

#4 Weatherly

Weatherly

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:27 PM

How you ever seen an ugly girl that looked like a crystal junkie those gums were receding? Maybe she would look better with some weight on her. When someone says that, there is an understanding that they don't think she is pretty. Sometimes they say, Well, she is pretty but I think she would look better with some weight on her. That is code for, Well , i don't think she's pretty but  i see how she could be if she gained some weight. It is just the non-argumentive way of putting it.

#5 Guest_fovika_*

Guest_fovika_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:43 PM

How you ever seen an ugly girl that looked like a crystal junkie those gums were receding? Maybe she would look better with some weight on her. When someone says that, there is an understanding that they don't think she is pretty. Sometimes they say, Well, she is pretty but I think she would look better with some weight on her. That is code for, Well , i don't think she's pretty but  i see how she could be if she gained some weight. It is just the non-argumentive way of putting it.

That sounds like you saying she's ugly and that's why they're saying that. Because I doubt that. I think people say others look good with some more weight on them, is because they think that person is pretty, but would be gorgeous with big boobs and big ass.

And if they say that to you, (that you don't need to lose weight, because you look good with some weight on you), they are just trying to be nice and they don't want to offend you by telling you you need to lose weight...

• problemchild likes this

#6 BearNaked

BearNaked

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • LocationNorth West England

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:48 PM

I fell huge when people say this to me. when they're referncing a particular person though, I don't- I think they genuinely just think they look better bigger.

When this is said as a generalisation- I feel like the whale in the room.

HW: 159

GW1: 128

GW2: 124

GW3: 120
CW: 118

GW4: 117

GW5: 115

LW: 98

I want to be fragile, like if someone touched  me, even gently, I'd bruise.

#7 Guest_fovika_*

Guest_fovika_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:52 PM

Here are some example of "curvy" vs "thin" celebs wearing the same outfit.

cmv.pngchristina_angelina_18963ug-18963uj.jpg?x425.mccord.michele.tisdale.lc.102109.jpg

samia_ghadi_nicki_minaj_herve_leger_dresamber-anne-kiely-dolce-gabbana.jpg

And yes, some of them are skinny vs thin and others are curvy vs thin, but my point is this. The curvy one never wins in this competition. But the thin vs skinny have a fighting chance.

• Dreamthinner, justwant2bthin, Ivy&unicorns and 2 others like this

#8 sweetpea15

sweetpea15

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Locationsouth jersey

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:00 PM

Fovika is so right. The even though the curvy ones don't necessarily look bad the thin ones look way better
  • mooglelove likes this

#9 lostandconfused

lostandconfused

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:19 AM

I think some curvy people look better in some types of clothes. It honestly depends on the outfit.
  • Minji64 likes this

#10 justwant2bthin

justwant2bthin

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:33 AM

I used to get a high when people would tell me that I would look better with a little weight on me...to me that meant I was getting somewhere with my losing!!!

5'7

MPA Start weight: 151.1 :(

CW: 110.0

GW1: 107.0 :)

GW2: 103  :D

♥UWG: 103 ♥

♥♥Perfection: 98 lb ♥♥

Ana #20

d72e9828ffb4bb89a737d2270683ad69

#11 NeverSmallEnough

NeverSmallEnough

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • LocationWest Sussex. UK.

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:52 AM

I agree. I don't get why some people are so stuck on pushing people to gain weight.

CW- 137lbs

GW- 119lbs

UGW- 112lbs

My Tumblr- thinspo and men!:

http://neversmallenoughblr.tumblr.com/

#12 KoyaRose13

KoyaRose13

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,715 posts
  • LocationLongmont, CO.

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:51 AM

What I hate is when people make comments about how I don't look like I have an eating disorder, that I look healthy. Thanks. That helps. Excuse me while I go kill myself on the treadmill for an hour now.

Live your own life, for you will assuredly die your own death.

HT: 5'8"

FIRST GOAL WEIGHT: 140LBS

SECOND GOAL WEIGHT: 135LBS

THIRD GOAL WEIGHT: 130LBS

FOURTH GOAL WEIGHT: 125LBS

FIFTH GOAL WEIGHT: 120LBS

SIXTH GOAL WEIGHT: 115LBS

UGW: 105LBS

anKdVmE_700b.jpg

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

#13 peaceandlove

peaceandlove

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:20 AM

I hate hate hate when people say this!

It's always worse when guys say it because they think the definition of a 'curvy' girl is a girl with a tiny waist, big chest and big behind.

The truth is (coming from a girl who has been 'curvy' all her life) is that skinny is better, because I'd rather be tiny than have big assets...and a bunch of fat everywhere else.

• iwantin and Betsymc0 like this

So stores will always have my size.

Height: 5'9

CW: 164

GW: 120

UGW: 100

#14 Guest_robbyh1_*

Guest_robbyh1_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:54 PM

Hi guys, Speaking as a heterosexual male I gotta say I would much rather be holding a small girl in my arms rather than a larger one, no matter how pretty the larger girl is!! Height doesn't matter!

Hope what I say here doesn't cause too much controversy! I'm just being honest about WHAT I THINK! Small to me is more attractive.

• iwantin and WilliamWillTell like this

#15 Weatherly

Weatherly

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:43 PM

I would think that having a heavy girl in your lap is to much like having a man sit in your lap. And having a really light girl in your lap is to much like having a child in your lap. How much is to big-to small probably depends on the size of the guy. But then you factor in his personal experiences and they could change everything. I just don't like muscular girls. They remind me of men so my gut reaction isn't "pretty girl". I feel the same way about girls that throw up so much that you can tell by looking at their teeth. My brain registers vomit so it does matter how pretty the girl is, I have already been repulsed by the thought of vomit. I can't take peoples opinion about my weight with seriousness. The person saying it is usually fatty or ugly so I just can't value their opinion on that topic.

• Betsymc0 likes this

#16 Guest_pringles_*

Guest_pringles_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:48 PM

I hate that people are so eager to tell society what they find attractive. I really don't care! I want to be skinny for me. Simply put. Nothing more to it. No ones approval is needed. :)
  • Invisible_hope, horror-show and Esoteric like this

#17 Betsymc0

Betsymc0

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:41 PM

I hate for people to comment on my looks...PERIOD. If I think I' m fat, it doesn't matter what anybody else thinks. My daughter thinks my weight is fine, but she weighs at least 50 lbs more than me. It gripes her no end that I know I need to lose at least 25 lbs. Opinions...just opinions...it's what we hold to be our personal truth that should count in the end-

#18 CollarBonesLoveBlackCats

CollarBonesLoveBlackCats

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:37 PM

I absolutely agree. I dont ever say to a girl to change her self loose or gain, hair cut or no, make up or not. And if someone tells be im skinny all i want to do is slap them. Like they are lying yo me out of pity. -.- dishonesty.
SOMETIMESTOSTAYALIVEYOUGOTTAKILLYOURMIND

#19 Guest_robbyh1_*

Guest_robbyh1_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:41 PM

I feel really bad for commenting above. I should keep my opinions to myself. I wasn't thinking and I am really sorry I wish I could withdraw it. Sorry if it caused offence. I will be more careful to think before I type in future. :-(

#20 Guest_floating_*

Guest_floating_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:34 PM

robbyh1 no worries; just speaking for myself here . . everyone's entitled to voice their opinion.  sure, just according to internet etiquette one tries to be mindful etc.  however, no one knows anyone here enough to know how a comment, phrased a certain way, might be taken or what sensibilities might be triggered.  or, on the flip side. . if any subsequent comment was wholly referencing yours.  i wouldn't beat myself up about it.  but imo it's nice that if you felt a way about how you said something you came in and took ownership!  

re: the op: i hate if anyone makes unsolicited comments on my appearance.  and i usually don't ask b/c i knooow i'll sit analyzing lol.  that being said pretty much everyone in my life has made comments; good and bad.  how i feel about it depends on if the delivery was constructive or just plain shady

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users