About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

I have a feeling this forum is going to stay very bare...

rumination rumination disorder regurgitating

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 portions for foxes

portions for foxes

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 November 2014 - 11:18 AM

I used to be an adult special needs teacher and one of my students did this frequently. He had severe autism so I speculate that there was a sensory element to it. At lunch time, he would sit there regurgitating and re-chewing and re-swallowing his meal, over and over. He also used to just throw up whenever something didn't suit him. He was non verbal and had not learned many more socially appropriate ways of communicating so had to use a collection of somewhat "challenging" behaviours in order to tell us what he wanted.

When I first realized this had a name, I read that experts believe it occurs most in infants and adults with below-average IQs.

I suspect most adults with above/average IQs who have this hide it.
  • antigone likes this

#22 Prescription

Prescription

MPA Poll Dancer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,219 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 12:23 PM

Gotta deal with it though.

Yup... sadly the world doesn't revolve around my OcD
  • crimeforpunishment likes this

lonely-blog_20_1_-thumb-350x259-27542.jp

What if.. I am already thin, and I am the only one who doesn't know it

HW: - 233lbs
CW: - somewhere under 110
LW 95.5
Height - 5'5

UGW - Suppose to be recovering but I am not skinny yet so... 88

#23 Vincent Price

Vincent Price

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,341 posts
  • LocationHunting Wabbits

Posted 29 November 2014 - 12:50 PM

Routine purging over the last decade has made my food come up involuntarily every time I eat. 

I swallow it back down because I've been trying to quit purging altogether, and I hope this will make my body realize that it isn't actually supposed to reject food every time.

When I purge, there's no gagging or heaving.  I just bend over and it comes up.

This regurgitation is a lot like that, but I don't bend over.  I'll just be sitting there and it comes up my throat and into my mouth, like bubbles in a bottle of soda that gently overflows when you open it.

At first, I swallowed it down over and over for hours until it stopped coming back up.

Now it stops coming back after like an hour.

I had to purge Thanksgiving though (we ate on Thursday and Friday b/c split families), and I hope I'm not back to where I started.

tumblr_nx82elstqV1sscqwxo1_400.gif

#24 antigone

antigone

Omniscient

• Members
  • 5,952 posts
  • LocationGlitter Planet

Posted 29 November 2014 - 12:53 PM

When I first realized this had a name, I read that experts believe it occurs most in infants and adults with below-average IQs.

I suspect most adults with above/average IQs who have this hide it.

I read this as well last year when I was told that's what was happening. It's completely involuntary. I'm obviously not an infant, and my IQ scores have always been on the "gifted" side (not tremendously outstandingly high, but the norm for gifted I guess). I've also had several things in which I fall outside of the statistical norms. Supposedly mine was attributed to GERD, but my GERD-symptoms weren't exactly GERD - it was stressed induced rumination. It comes and goes.

Etiquette Knowledge: http://www.emilypost.com/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whilst you are certainly entitled to express your opinion, keep in mind that your authority in the matter might be nonexistent. 

Good luck, kiddos. Try not to die. Recovery was a b*tch. I'm not going back.

The beauty of falling so far from grace.

I like pretending to be myself.

Hiding in the light.

Resurrect.

Dollish.

#25 Guest_trueloveweights_*

Guest_trueloveweights_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2014 - 07:46 AM

SO let's talk about regurgitation. Do you do it? How long have you done it for? Why? And most of all, have you had any goddamn success in making it stop?

Okay, so it developed last year during recovery actually. I don't really know why I started doing it, partially because the food itself struggled to stay down and partially because it meant I could, you know, eat the food again and again and again... From there it's pretty much developed into a really compulsive habit. I do it without even registering fully what I'm doing. I just drink a small amount of liquid when I eat and it comes up really easily when I lean over. 
When I focus on trying to make it stop, it gets really hard to. I always thought I had it under control until I tried to stop doing it. What helps most is when I stay completely upright, don't drink a thing with my meal and don't tense my abdomen muscles at all

#26 Boeck1620

Boeck1620

Omniscient

• Members
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 04:11 AM

For me rumination is totally involuntary. It almost feels like a burp coming on and then the food comes up. I don't re chew and swallow it I spit it out. Purging for me on the other hand is totally voluntary as in fingers down the throat, tickle the fancy throat ball and up it comes.
  • MorticiaAddams likes this

#27 SpottedShoreBreather

SpottedShoreBreather

Omniscient

• Members
  • 3,059 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 25 December 2014 - 04:53 PM

I began getting rumination recently... and I'm trying to recover. I feel disgusting when it happens. I like seeing that I'm not the only one. However, I'm also sorry you guys go through this too

Ariana-Grande-Smile.giftumblr_mpn1z0BpXW1st38vso1_250.gif

#28 Changeling

Changeling

Omniscient

• Members
  • 5,686 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 08:46 PM

I feel slightly uncomfortable because I thought this happened to everyone and I ventured out of the rant room and found it on an ED site when I thought it was normal.

Back to the rant room, I go. I am not ready to admit yet another difficulty between my brain and food.

I'm Gonna Show 'em what little girls are made of: Gunpowder and Lead. HW: 278 CW: 136.3 GW: 95 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proud Queen of the MPACAS                                Which basically means: I'm a fucking cunt. Deal With It.

#29 Thin-k-thin

Thin-k-thin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 02:31 AM

I never have been able to hold down food. I was lactoss intolerent and didn't know it so I've thrown up a little everyday since i was seven. Greasy foods have problems staying down too. If I don't have a reason or means to get it out, I'll keep swallowing it till it stops trying to escape.

Height 5'8"Current Weight 155 Highest Weight 180 Lowest weight !45 First Goal 150 Main Goal 145 Dream Goal 140.

images 9

#30 floranfauna

floranfauna

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 January 2015 - 03:40 AM

I am able to do this just by pushing the food up if I've eaten alot and had lots of water. Most of the time It happens mid convo or like walking down the street etc. when I can't actually run away to purge otherwise it makes purging a whole lot easier. 

#31 Lilclairese

Lilclairese

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:25 PM

I had a friend who did this. She would count how many times she chewed her food regurgitated it and rechewed it again, some times it would cause her to vomit. She said that she started when she was a toddler, but it was more of an OCD thing to ward off things she didn't want... idk I haven't seen her in a long time so I could have it wrong but I've def seen a lot of people who do a lot of uncommon things, this is not that uncommon. 

hw: 190

cw: 116

gw: 85

high: 5'7

not til my days are over. 

#32 sweetlamb

sweetlamb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationN/A

Posted 30 November 2016 - 08:28 PM

I did not know this was a disorder and I was actually really really excited to hear this because I've dealt with this my whole life and I've never once purged? I just always have done this out of habit. 

I was so excited to know I wasn't just some weirdo alone in the world re-eating my food or spitting it out.

tumblr_inline_nr8nig31ZX1ribtlo_500.gif When you lose hope, remember I believe in you. tumblr_inline_nr8nig31ZX1ribtlo_500.gif

5'4

HW: 200lb

favicon.pngCW: 150lb!favicon.png

GW1: 130lb
GW2: 120lb

GW3: 110lb

UGW: 100lb

Stay strong everyone

my accountability:

<a href="http://www.myproana....ountability</a>

#33 Skinny88

Skinny88

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 05:57 PM

I struggle with this it started after I tried hands free purging in "recovery" I wish I never knew how tho I hate it but also like it I know it's gross but I don't know how to stop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

im 5'7 and im currently 76.2lbs

i dont really have a goal weight anymore i guess when im happy which probs wont happen.....

i have anorexia binge purge subtype.if you want to know anything else about me message me  :)

" its better to burn out then fade away"

"life happens. theres no point in being upset or down about things we cant control or change"

i didnt say it would be easy i said it would be worth it.

#34 Inactivefornow

Inactivefornow

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts
  • Locationhiding from every human on earth

Posted 03 December 2016 - 09:55 PM

I don't know much about it. Hopefully this doesn't offend...is it hands free that it comes back up? Is it controllable or uncontrollable?

sick to death of my dependence, fighting food to find transcendence. fighting to survive, more dead but more alive.
'You have to love something or someone more than you hate yourself'

Nearing 9 years with BPD and the illnesses/problems that 'came with it' and 7 years with an eating disorder and SH
Feel free to message me for whatever reason, I'm open to just about anything :)
Accountability ~ http://www.myproana....-worth-reading/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rumination, rumination disorder, regurgitating

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users