About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Calories through rumination?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 musicalfailure

musicalfailure

Choose your own title! PM Admin or Bibs.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,025 posts
  • LocationAs far away from paradise as you can possibly be..

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:49 AM

What I mean is, I developed it through self-induced vomiting okay, so I still see this as a method of purging more than anything else.

But there's that thing where only like 20% at most of calories are purged through self-induced vomiting, maybe more depending on the situation, but basically hardly any calories are actually purged. But I was wondering if it was different for rumination because this is actually comes back up on its own will?

Do you think there is a higher percentage of calories that we get out or do you reckon it's around the same?

Spoiler

My Accountability

tumblr_m9xovuBaz31r1l147o1_500.gif

Currently struggling with Anorexia Nervosa

Previously Diagnosed: EDNOS, Restrictive & Purging (Feb 2015) + Bulimia Nervosa (Sep 2013)

Undiagnosed Rumination Disorder

CW: LW (Unconfirmed because I'm a coward)

HW: 139lbs (BMI: 21.1)

LW: Under 118lbs (BMI: < 17.9)

GW: 92lbs (BMI: 13.9)

Height: 173cm (5'8")

(I don't have a UGW, it'll never be enough :()

gallery_107479_12557_10484.jpg

:wub:  CHEST BONES, THIGH GAPS, HIP BONES, ARM GAPS, CHEEK BONES    :wub: 

Longest Fast: 26 Days (21st April - 17th May, 2015)

tumblr_mpa1bpjI531svs8v4o1_500.gif

#2 kevi

kevi

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,828 posts
  • LocationSouth

Posted 25 November 2014 - 05:42 PM

I've never spit out what comes up, always rechew and swallow, unless I'm trying to purge. So I'm not sure how much I can technically get rid of without trying to force it along.

I think the 20% thing is a myth, pure rubbish scare tactic to stop people purging (it'd be lovely if the scare tactic worked, but it just doesn't.).

I binge 10's of thousands, and tend to maintain/gain slowly while doing it. Depending on how quickly I purge, I can get 85-95% out.

I think the fact that purging is so easy from rumination makes me more successful in getting lots out quickly. If I had to gag, I'd probably give up before it was done. Gagging looks and sounds so painful. :(
  • Lunaria likes this

I spent this year as a ghost.

If I don't let myself be happy now, then when? If not now, when?

#3 musicalfailure

musicalfailure

Choose your own title! PM Admin or Bibs.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,025 posts
  • LocationAs far away from paradise as you can possibly be..

Posted 26 November 2014 - 03:45 PM

I've pretty bad rumination episodes where my body has literally forced chunks of food up, or so much in one go that I can't breathe. This does sort of cause gagging for me, or choking if I'm not careful.

Some things are just evil, I scratched the inside of my throat badly once just because some apple with skin was stuck there. :(

I don't ever reswallow or rechew unless I get it in public and I have to keep it in my mouth before I find somewhere to spit it out, I only reswallow if someone tries to talk to me.

• imfatomfg likes this

Spoiler

My Accountability

tumblr_m9xovuBaz31r1l147o1_500.gif

Currently struggling with Anorexia Nervosa

Previously Diagnosed: EDNOS, Restrictive & Purging (Feb 2015) + Bulimia Nervosa (Sep 2013)

Undiagnosed Rumination Disorder

CW: LW (Unconfirmed because I'm a coward)

HW: 139lbs (BMI: 21.1)

LW: Under 118lbs (BMI: < 17.9)

GW: 92lbs (BMI: 13.9)

Height: 173cm (5'8")

(I don't have a UGW, it'll never be enough :()

gallery_107479_12557_10484.jpg

:wub:  CHEST BONES, THIGH GAPS, HIP BONES, ARM GAPS, CHEEK BONES    :wub: 

Longest Fast: 26 Days (21st April - 17th May, 2015)

tumblr_mpa1bpjI531svs8v4o1_500.gif

#4 antigone

antigone

Omniscient

• Members
  • 5,940 posts
  • LocationGlitter Planet

Posted 29 November 2014 - 12:56 PM

I know I get all my calories when I'm having phases of this. It's annoying that I don't spit it out... I have though... I just have to try to remember to spit it out when it happens.

Etiquette Knowledge: http://www.emilypost.com/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whilst you are certainly entitled to express your opinion, keep in mind that your authority in the matter might be nonexistent. 

Good luck, kiddos. Try not to die. Recovery was a b*tch. I'm not going back.

The beauty of falling so far from grace.

I like pretending to be myself.

Hiding in the light.

Resurrect.

Dollish.

#5 Tsuki no Usagi

Tsuki no Usagi

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • LocationAZ, USA

Posted 30 December 2014 - 12:11 PM

I've pretty bad rumination episodes where my body has literally forced chunks of food up, or so much in one go that I can't breathe. This does sort of cause gagging for me, or choking if I'm not careful.

Some things are just evil, I scratched the inside of my throat badly once just because some apple with skin was stuck there. :(

I don't ever reswallow or rechew unless I get it in public and I have to keep it in my mouth before I find somewhere to spit it out, I only reswallow if someone tries to talk to me.

I remember when it first started happening to me I always just re swallowed it because I didnt know what else to do and then I gradually started spitting it out more often which then led to me starting to use it to purge..

but oh my god sometimes that happens to me with stuff like bread especially where it gets stuck for a second and I cant breathe and think wow this is it, this is how they will find me, right int the middle of vomiting my brains out.. 

Height: 5'3"

CW: 110

HW: 128

GW: 105

GW2: 100

GW3: 95

GW4: 90

UGW:85

tumblr_ntdureCHPI1udigego1_500.gif

#6 cookie monster

cookie monster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 06:19 PM

Same thing here, I always feel like I swallow way too fast and I should eat more slowly to avoid the situation. But at the same time, I like to get rid of it fast, and it goes faster when it comes in chunk.

I hate having it in public, reason why I never ever eat at work and wake up earlier to avoid any embarrassing situations...

It looks so awkward when you reswallow it in front of the person so you can answer them, I alway feel like they can tell something is wrong with me...

Current Weight: 138 
Goal Weight I: 120
Goal Weight II: 115
Goal Weight III: 110
Ultimate goal Weight: 98
Maximum Calories a day: 500
Days expected until Next goal achieved: 55 days (Decembre 16th)

#7 Bananasaurus

Bananasaurus

Omniscient

• Members
  • 8,158 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 09:34 PM

In theory, I suppose that if you have gastroparesis or some other type of delayed stomach emptying issue, then you would have a longer time to "get more out".

I developed mine after having Lyme disease, it totally messed up my vagus nerve and subsequently my digestion; I think the massive amount of antibiotics I had to be on playing a role and screw my digestion as well.
🍌

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users