About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

I didn't know this was what I had

Rumination bulimia

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Salomé

Salomé

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 04 January 2015 - 07:12 PM

I've been experiencing the symptoms of this disorder for two years at least. I had no idea it was diagnosed as this. I thought I had GERD or something, like a painless version.
I'd be walking home after a meal with friends and would dart into an alleyway to empty my stomach. My partner was always confused when I would just chirpily carry on walking a few moments later.
So now I know...
... I've always felt blessed to be able to do this. Vomiting without inducing it, and without pain. I can't lie, I feel lucky.
If you feel lucky to have this disorder, are you bulimic? I always argued to my other half that I couldn't be bulimic because I don't stick anything down my throat- but I guess I must be.
  • Bananasaurus and lu.fighting like this

tumblr_miumw4PkD31qdipiyo1_400.gif
So when the birds fly south, I'll reach up and hold their tails,
Pull up and out of here, bridle the autumn gales.

accountability

#2 cumulonimbus

cumulonimbus

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA, USA

Posted 04 January 2015 - 07:35 PM

I probably don't know as much as a lot of other people on here, but I can relate. I can just bend over or squat and purge, but the point is... it's still purging. I'm not 100% sure so no one cite me on this but I think bulimia has more to do with binging and then purging, and continuing the cycle. I don't think a meal with friends is a binge, not intentionally. BUT idk. Though I purge sometimes I don't consider myself to be bulimic. my therapist might say otherwise though...

GERD, i think, is involuntary -- you get pretty bad heartburn (acid reflux) and don't necessarily throw up. ironically, excessive throwing up can cause acid reflux. so idk, are you purposely purging? because that's closer to bulimia.

Height: 5'6

LW: 98 (at 5'3")

SW: 123 (at 5'3")

HW: 153.5 

CW: 153.5, 146.6, 142.7, 135, 128, 123.5, 120.5, 119.5, 114.2, 110118, ~135(FUCK)

GW1: 140 -- nose piercing

GW2: 130

GW3: 120

GW4: 115 

GW: 110 GW: 99 GW: 90

It never tastes better than the first bite.

Quod me nutrit me destruit.

If you wait long enough, it'll pass. 

large.jpg

#3 missingmykingdom

missingmykingdom

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:19 PM

hmm.  i was just checking to see what this actually was.  I very rarely purge, but when i do, i don't stick anything down my throat either.  It takes a few minutes, but i will myself to gag and just keep doing it until...  

• Carnage_Tea likes this

"You make the sounds of laughter and sharpened nails seem softer.  And i need you now, somehow...And you're my obsession.  I love you to the bones..."  (Silverchair)

"Yeah, your skin and bones, turn into something beautiful.  For you i'd bleed myself dry."  (Coldplay.)

"I don't care if it hurts.  I want to have control.  I want a perfect body.  I want a perfect soul."  (Radiohead.)

"Well you'll never gain weight from a donut hole."  (Tori Amos)

"My body tells me no, but i won't quit, cause i want more, cause i want more."  (Young the Giant.)

anorexia_by_lyteshadowz.jpg200.gif200.gif

HW/SW 162
CW fat   GW1 128  
.GW 116.....UGW 105...  SUGW 95

#4 ˣᵃⁿᵃˣ

ˣᵃⁿᵃˣ

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,536 posts
  • Locationthe void

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:32 PM

Sometimes I randomly just throw up, like not even after a meal or anything it just kind of happens, I usually swallow it back down. But I'm not bullimic etiher.

#5 Salomé

Salomé

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 12 January 2015 - 07:43 PM

I probably don't know as much as a lot of other people on here, but I can relate. I can just bend over or squat and purge, but the point is... it's still purging. I'm not 100% sure so no one cite me on this but I think bulimia has more to do with binging and then purging, and continuing the cycle. I don't think a meal with friends is a binge, not intentionally. BUT idk. Though I purge sometimes I don't consider myself to be bulimic. my therapist might say otherwise though...

GERD, i think, is involuntary -- you get pretty bad heartburn (acid reflux) and don't necessarily throw up. ironically, excessive throwing up can cause acid reflux. so idk, are you purposely purging? because that's closer to bulimia.

Yeah I don't get acid reflux! Probably not GERD, I've don't a bit of research. I don't binge/purge. I eat small portions to keep everything down, and stay small, etc. It starts as involuntary regurgitating, and then I abuse my disorder to bring up more food, completely of my own volition. I don't feel bulimic. :/

Sometimes I randomly just throw up, like not even after a meal or anything it just kind of happens, I usually swallow it back down. But I'm not bullimic etiher.

Yeah I don't binge, I throw up involuntarily when I have a "full meal". It's too uncomfortable, it just happens. It's like, sometimes I burp, and then some. It just encourages me to purge, though- sometimes I'll have gone past the point of involuntarily throwing up, and I just continue. Then it's voluntary.

tumblr_miumw4PkD31qdipiyo1_400.gif
So when the birds fly south, I'll reach up and hold their tails,
Pull up and out of here, bridle the autumn gales.

accountability

#6 *Dance*Magic*Necromancy*

*Dance*Magic*Necromancy*

Omniscient

• Members
  • 2,927 posts
  • LocationHangryland

Posted 23 June 2015 - 03:40 PM

its odd knowing what the condition is but sorta relieving

gallery_165795_16822_10116.gif

stressed_out___twenty_one_pilots_lyrics_

|Annah Kim|

|24|

|Anorexia Nervosa, Anxiety, Rumination Disorder, and Depression (all are diagnosed)|

|Height:5'8|

|CW: 75 pounds (maintained for 3+ months now)|
PM me if you need someone to talk to, and we can snark the pain away. <3

MPA's Snaky Tea, K-pop, and Cat collector

2SzytTI.gif

tumblr_muvsjvBxHl1s1r2yfo1_400.gif

#7 my_own_person

my_own_person

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 07:50 AM

I just recently discovered this and I'm 17 and it's been happening all my life. I honestly thought that it was completely normal and everyone did it. Everything I ate would come up between 5 minutes to a half an hour later and sometime many hours later. I would just swallow it and it would happen sometimes up to 15 times per meal. It felt really gross but I thought everyone did it. Now I feel worse because I know it's not actually the common :/

#8 Bananasaurus

Bananasaurus

Omniscient

• Members
  • 8,158 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 01:51 PM

I've been experiencing the symptoms of this disorder for two years at least. I had no idea it was diagnosed as this. I thought I had GERD or something, like a painless version.
I'd be walking home after a meal with friends and would dart into an alleyway to empty my stomach. My partner was always confused when I would just chirpily carry on walking a few moments later.
So now I know...
... I've always felt blessed to be able to do this. Vomiting without inducing it, and without pain. I can't lie, I feel lucky.
If you feel lucky to have this disorder, are you bulimic? I always argued to my other half that I couldn't be bulimic because I don't stick anything down my throat- but I guess I must be.

Google "gastroparesis", rumination disorder and gastroparesis are actually fairly closely linked, there are many different causes for gastroparesis or delayed gastric emptying, sometimes people produce a lower than normal amount of stomach acid, it could be a problem with your vagus nerve, A mild undiagnosed autoimmune condition that is affecting your gut, messed up got flora/micro-biome, or it could be just a random congenital defecf in your anatomy, like the sphincter that is in between your esophagus and stomach is weak.

Random, but I feel like I want to add this… People who can swallow goldfish and then regurgitate them alive are kind of like this, but nobody ever thinks their bulimic, like Steve-O from jackass.
  • Salomé and BubblesAndSunshine like this
🍌

#9 musicalfailure

musicalfailure

Choose your own title! PM Admin or Bibs.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,025 posts
  • LocationAs far away from paradise as you can possibly be..

Posted 13 April 2016 - 04:56 PM

Random, but I feel like I want to add this… People who can swallow goldfish and then regurgitate them alive are kind of like this, but nobody ever thinks their bulimic, like Steve-O from jackass.

Just realised that would be a kinda cool party trick. Not that I would ever actually do that to a poor goldfish.

Spoiler

My Accountability

tumblr_m9xovuBaz31r1l147o1_500.gif

Currently struggling with Anorexia Nervosa

Previously Diagnosed: EDNOS, Restrictive & Purging (Feb 2015) + Bulimia Nervosa (Sep 2013)

Undiagnosed Rumination Disorder

CW: LW (Unconfirmed because I'm a coward)

HW: 139lbs (BMI: 21.1)

LW: Under 118lbs (BMI: < 17.9)

GW: 92lbs (BMI: 13.9)

Height: 173cm (5'8")

(I don't have a UGW, it'll never be enough :()

gallery_107479_12557_10484.jpg

:wub:  CHEST BONES, THIGH GAPS, HIP BONES, ARM GAPS, CHEEK BONES    :wub: 

Longest Fast: 26 Days (21st April - 17th May, 2015)

tumblr_mpa1bpjI531svs8v4o1_500.gif

#10 EdNoStoner

EdNoStoner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 06:37 PM

So now I know...

Yeah this wouldn't be considered bulimic because like the second comment said.. Bulimia is diagnosed by the cycle of binging AND purging many times over a certain amount of time. If you can control this and do it on purpose it could be considered bulimic but only as a subtype like those who are diagnosed with anorexia with a bulimia subtype because they have anorexia but show symptoms of bulimia.. usually because they don't binge but will purge occasionally no matter the size of the meal/snack. 

• Salomé likes this

Back at it again. Deleted my last account thinking I was done, but here I am. 

Previously Starving Stoner.

EDNOS - Cycled through them all

SW: 220

HW: 220

LW: 148 then I fell in love -_- men and their sandwiches..

4/18 184

4/20 178

4/24 176

4/28 174

4/29 173

CW: 173.2 4/29

(I swear to fucking God I better not fuck this up.. AGAIN!)

FGW: 110

CGW: - 200

170 - 5/16

165 - 5/24

160 - 6/1

155 - 6/9

150 - 6/17

Challenges:

Contest of Awesome 2

"At MyProAna.com we simply want an all inclusive,

non judgmental community where people are not afraid to discuss their lifestyle.

We don't take a stance for, or against, "pro ana". That choice is yours. And if you're strongly opposed, you are encouraged to take your passion and start your own community, and, we promise, we will not interfere."

#11 Fernandafmz

Fernandafmz

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 02:52 PM

Omg finally I found my case. I though i was lucky too purging everything easily and making any silence (actually I can throw up next to u and u didn't notice) but then started been something I enjoyed so after eat somenthing i did it several times (i know sounds weird and nasty) Now I hate it. I JUST CAN'T STOP! I feel so ansious to do it. This is even worse than normal bulimia because u are constantly purging (more times than bulimia) and produce more spit and acid in ur mouth have terribles consequences.
I start unfornately in the world of bulimia when I was 12 1/2 and then at the age of 15 discovered this plus the bulimia i have it. Now I'm 19... so ashamed to say that I still with this problem. PLEASE TRY NOT TO DO IT. That have the same consequences of bulimia.
  • Skinny88 likes this

#12 geckoab

geckoab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 04:36 PM

Shit this is definitely me once when I was younger I said something about it and my friends were so grossed out that i never mentioned it again. I thought I was the only one who did it and I'm pretty ashamed of it tbh its pretty gross.. . . but I kinda like the feeling ? ? I kinda like purging for this reason ? Its so effortless, like it's really natural for me :/
5'3 sw119 cw113.4 gw94

#13 Skinny88

Skinny88

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 08:46 PM

Omg finally I found my case. I though i was lucky too purging everything easily and making any silence (actually I can throw up next to u and u didn't notice) but then started been something I enjoyed so after eat somenthing i did it several times (i know sounds weird and nasty) Now I hate it. I JUST CAN'T STOP! I feel so ansious to do it. This is even worse than normal bulimia because u are constantly purging (more times than bulimia) and produce more spit and acid in ur mouth have terribles consequences.
I start unfornately in the world of bulimia when I was 12 1/2 and then at the age of 15 discovered this plus the bulimia i have it. Now I'm 19... so ashamed to say that I still with this problem. PLEASE TRY NOT TO DO IT. That have the same consequences of bulimia.

omg I have this problem it's so hard to stop :( message me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

im 5'7 and im currently 76.2lbs

i dont really have a goal weight anymore i guess when im happy which probs wont happen.....

i have anorexia binge purge subtype.if you want to know anything else about me message me  :)

" its better to burn out then fade away"

"life happens. theres no point in being upset or down about things we cant control or change"

i didnt say it would be easy i said it would be worth it.

#14 keeeet

keeeet

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 18 January 2017 - 10:16 AM

Yeah I don't binge, I throw up involuntarily when I have a "full meal". It's too uncomfortable, it just happens. It's like, sometimes I burp, and then some. It just encourages me to purge, though- sometimes I'll have gone past the point of involuntarily throwing up, and I just continue. Then it's voluntary.

You voluntarily vomiting is what makes it sound more like a disordered action. Maybe not bulimia to the same extent, but possibly linked to an b/p, ednos, osfed, etc. If it was 100% involuntary, then fine, but taking advantage of it definitely stems from whatever you're already dealing with.

c3b1f8a8c87e2825d41c5e008dff19de.gif  days binge free: 13 0  c3b1f8a8c87e2825d41c5e008dff19de.gif 

keto log - no scale accountability

*     c945411f8c6123530344d6d9b7ec02e2.gif    *    c945411f8c6123530344d6d9b7ec02e2.gif    *    c945411f8c6123530344d6d9b7ec02e2.gif    *    c945411f8c6123530344d6d9b7ec02e2.gif     *

[9 1/28]

Next goal in: 16 lbs

37bbd93530699ec20008853a48071df4.jpg

Spoiler

#15 starguitar

starguitar

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 12:11 AM

I started doing this when I was a kid after I would binge. I would get depressed when I ran out of food, and would bring it back up so I could eat it again. When I started purging regularly at 12 I started doing this a lot more. I can also vomit by just bending over or pressing or making myself gag. I can also bring up almost any food so I can chew and swallow it again, but I've been trying to do this less cause it's gross lmao I can't help but do it with ice cream though, it's automatic. 

I didn't really think of it as disordered until I brought it up at my last time in treatment. My case manager had to go and read about it cause she didn't really know anything about it. I've never come across a therapist, doctor, or nutritionist that knows a lot about rumination.

• Skinny88 likes this

Bring disco back! 

82cb985859b1da05b796b85cef7cf48e.jpg  :wub: 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Rumination, bulimia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users