About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Selective Eating Disorder

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_anamoon90_*

Guest_anamoon90_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2015 - 01:23 AM

Inability to eat certain foods based on texture or aroma. "Safe" foods may be limited to certain food types and even specific brands. In some cases, afflicted individuals will exclude whole food groups, such as fruits or vegetables. Sometimes excluded foods can be refused based on color. Some may only like very hot or very cold foods, very crunchy or hard-to-chew foods, or very soft foods, or avoid sauces.

I suffer from this since I was a little kid, I can't eat meat (cow, pork), a lot of vegetables are a no-no for me. Going to restaurants is very difficult because I usually have my safe ones but when someone else picks for example an Italian food rest. I feel so anxious...because I dislike pizza, cheese, lasagna and that kind of food. It has affected my social and love life because I can't share food, people become suspicious about me declining their offers of food.

I refuse food in order of smell and texture. I can tell if my mom for example bought a rice made by someone else because of the taste and smell and I get very angry about it because its not the same.

I'm trying to be open minded but its very difficult, still a day I dislike a large variety of food groups. And the difference between being spoiled and not wanting something is that even if I am very VERY hungy and there is nothing else to eat...still I won't eat it. Once I ate paper instead of meat.

Anyone with the same issue? :/

• Jewel Nigh+ and dazed96 like this

#2 Maja

Maja

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 10:10 AM

Here! Not as extreme as you have, but I have it because of a little autism. ;)
I can't stand all pasta's except for the long thin ones. Also I can't stand mayonnaise (and most other mayonnaise-like sauces), very sour things (too obnoxious), bread (too dry) and things with too much sugar. I get shivers down my spine and I'm just horrified.
I've been brought up just the normal Dutch way, but I'm very picky. If I have only these foods in front of me, I feel like I'm going to starve, not by my anorexia, but because of the texture/taste/etc.

• marimochan2 and aelii like this

#3 dyingdarling

dyingdarling

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts
  • LocationTN, USA

Posted 05 February 2015 - 11:08 AM

I always thought this was some sort of sensory issue I had? My problems are not as severe as yours, but I refuse to eat any condiment except barbecue sauce and that's only allowed on non-breaded chicken or pork. Can't eat lettuce as the smell makes me nauseas even though everyone else says there is no smell? I also can't eat chocolate or seafood because of smell. Or anything with too many ingredients or any kind of weird mixture of food that they call "salads" like potato salad or pasta salad.

• Marla, Beatrix Kiddo, DancesWithBones and 3 others like this
Signatures are too hard to keep up now.

I'm crazy as fuck and fucking with my life currently. Hit me up for good stories.

#4 HOTLIMIT

HOTLIMIT

Omniscient

• Members
  • 4,435 posts
  • LocationTokyo, Japan

Posted 20 February 2015 - 05:11 AM

I refuse to eat any fruits, vegetables or whole grains. I don't know if this would fall under the same thing as you, since I eat a wide variety of foods just no fruit, vegetables or whole grains.

• Melancholymelody and TofuMelonPan like this

T.M.Revolution saved is my life.

Meatatarian Accountability Thread

Instagram: instagram.com/HOTLIMIT13

Androgynous. 5 foot 2 inches. Asian descent. (中性・158センチ・アジア人)
Meatatarian. HFLC. Eat-Stop-Eat. (肉食主義者・高脂肪低/炭水化物1日に1回食べるダイエット)

HW: 120 lbs
SW: 89 lbs
LW: 74 lbs
CW: 87 lbs (losing, losing)

GW1: 80 lbs

UGW: 75 lbs

"If you just dream your dreams, they'll never come true." ~西川貴教

#5 Marla

Marla

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • LocationMarch Hare's Garden, Wonderland.

Posted 20 February 2015 - 07:21 AM

I have this but people keep telling me that I'm just being picky... Which is so frustrating because I'm then forced to eat whatever thing they're insisting on having and it makes me feel awful.

In my case it's all about textures, with the exception of sweet foods, like sweet strawberries, which I cannot stand, gives me chills... I can't eat a lot of fruit nor vegetables because of this weird thing.

Here's an odd little note; when I was little, the first time I tried tomatoes, I said "My tummy likes it but my mouth/head doesn't". Which I think is adorable and also a really accurate description of what's going on, you know?

• FemaleSnowAngel and willowcat like this

HW: 69 kgs.

CW: 63,3 kgs.

UGW: 45 kgs.

SUGW: 42 kgs.

Height: 163cm.

Have sex. Not food.

"To be beautiful is to be almost dead, isn't it?

The lassitude of the perfect woman,

the languid ease, the obeisance,

spirit-drained, anemic,

pale as ivory and weak as a kitten".

#6 Guest_embones_*

Guest_embones_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2015 - 12:52 AM

I  was so relieved when i saw others felt the same way. Until then, now one could understand that I knew I wouldn't like a food before i tried it. Trying new foods is one of the most terrifying things I could ever do. I don't eat seafood, chinese or indian, beef or pork, soup or stew ( i can't stand that I am unable to identify the ingredients...soup is one of my most feared foods, I hate the smell, temperature and consistency as well as appearance). This makes my life extremely difficult and I often wish I wasn't like this. I suffer from anorexia as well and my SED makes things worse. I can only eat off certain plates, have certain brands ( absolutely NO substitutions) and it drives my family crazy. I just hate making excuses as to why I can only eat certain things. Its so exhausting aging to explain it to people who will never understand. I feel so judged by my food choices.

• Price likes this

#7 EvelynSalt

EvelynSalt

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts
  • Location千葉県、日本

Posted 09 March 2015 - 01:34 AM

Here! Not as extreme as you have, but I have it because of a little autism. ;)
I can't stand all pasta's except for the long thin ones. Also I can't stand mayonnaise (and most other mayonnaise-like sauces), very sour things (too obnoxious), bread (too dry) and things with too much sugar. I get shivers down my spine and I'm just horrified.
I've been brought up just the normal Dutch way, but I'm very picky. If I have only these foods in front of me, I feel like I'm going to starve, not by my anorexia, but because of the texture/taste/etc.

I have aspergers and am the same way. There was a restaurant I always went to in uni for a macchiatto and the same guy made it with tons of care to be sure it was foamy. One day, he wasnt there and this woman was staring at the instructions, and she did the steps in the wrong order so it wasnt foamy at all. I gave it to a friend and went without my drink that day.
  • marimochan2 likes this

Spoiler

#8 Liquid_luck

Liquid_luck

Omniscient

• Members
  • 3,619 posts
  • LocationVanishing Cabinet

Posted 09 March 2015 - 06:37 AM

I have aspergers and am the same way. There was a restaurant I always went to in uni for a macchiatto and the same guy made it with tons of care to be sure it was foamy. One day, he wasnt there and this woman was staring at the instructions, and she did the steps in the wrong order so it wasnt foamy at all. I gave it to a friend and went without my drink that day.

I also have aspergers, I understand this. Today, I ordered my extra foamy capp in a take away cup, I took the lid off, scooped with froth off with my spoon and there was no extra. The look of all that coffee liquid in the cup was so offensive that I gave it back and couldn't put my words together to explain what was wrong. They refunded me and I ran away. It's the look of it that turns my stomach, I find it more aesthetically pleasing to have a large amount of froth that goes down into the cup but not up into the lid.
  • marimochan2 likes this
Potter fan

What's happening in my head is currently showing here: http://www.myproana....-reality-bites/

#9 CloseToEmpty

CloseToEmpty

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 09 March 2015 - 09:48 AM

Wow, I'm pretty cetain one of my housemates has this. He eats very few things and only in very particular combinations, so he cannot eat two different foods at the same time unless they are garlic bread (garlic and bread) or a marmite sandwich (bread and marmite). He only eats bread products, some fruits, most sweets, potato waffles, popcorn and sausages- absolutely nothing else. He seems quite seriously distressed when food doesn't look how it's 'supposed to'- like he only ever orders garlic bread in restaurants and one time it 'looked like it had cheese on it', so he refused to try it. We assured him it didn't, but that didn't matter.

He just seems genuinely scared of food, personally I can't understand why you would be so afraid of trying something- if you don't like it, you can just spit it out? What is it about the idea of tasting something you don't like that frightens you?

• marimochan2 likes this

'Manage me, I'm a mess.

Turn a page, I'm a book half unread.

I wanna be laughed at, laughed with, just because.

I wanna feel Weightless, and that should be enough.'

-Weightless, All Time Low

Please check out my tumblr: http://close-to-empty.tumblr.com

5'5.5

Goals: BMI < 20.0

weight < 115lbs

LW: 77lbs <--- never going back there

UFFQsmV.jpg?3 Disney Fairy Challenge - Team Rosetta

#10 highhopes

highhopes

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 03:16 AM

I really hate having this. I haven't been officially diagnosed but ever since i found out that what this was, i knew that i had it. It's really hard to stay over other peoples houses because i have a fear of what they are going to have for dinner because i most likely don't like it, if i haven't been with them all day i just lie and say i've already eaten or im not hungry. But if i say it when they know i haven't eaten all day then they just make it sound like i don't think their food is good enough for me. I really do want to eat it, it would make my life so much easier but i physically can't make myself do it. 

I have foods that i will eat if i have to but then theres others that i absolutely would rather starve to death than eat, eg. mince and pasta, which rules out tacos, lasagne, bolognese etc. I absolutely can't stand it, but i do eat most meat in its solidish form like steak, lamb and chicken. I only like about 3 vegetables and majority of the common fruits. I also will eat everything separately and i don't like my food to touch. I don't like soups/stew or salad because it usually has so many things i don't like in it. I don't have a problem with most junk food, but i won't eat chocolate if it has nuts because i don't like nuts. I really have no idea how this can even be solved for me because i feel like its going to ruin my life forever and no one understands because they think i just choose not to eat it when i really honestly do want to. 

• marimochan2 and aelii like this

173 / 5"8
SW: 74 / 163
CW: 58 / 127

GW: 55 / 121
UGW: 50 / 110

tumblr_nbrxcmwL2k1sqhn00o1_500.gif

#11 Drusilla

Drusilla

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 29 April 2015 - 09:43 AM

I never had any problems with food - its smell or texture, but the plate and fork/spoon. I would never take off anything from fork using my mouth, just teeth. There's a sound of course which drives my BF and my mum crazy. I also won't eat from a plate that has a grayish or beige color. My forks or spoons must be shiny because if they're not - I would rather use my fingers. Oh and the gray-ish color applies to food as well - it's just rotten to my brain. The shiny thing doesn't affect knives at all.

So my plates/bowls must be anything except of gray, beige, ecru or blue.

Dru

HW: 207 lbs
LW: 100 lbs

SW: 164,2 lbs
CW: 142,8 lbs

GW1: 145 lbs

GW2: 135 lbs

GW3: 125 lbs

GW4: 115 lbs

GW5: 110 lbs
UGW: 100 lbs
H: 169cm
Too much brooding, too much booze...

starbuck.jpg

#12 Drusilla

Drusilla

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 29 April 2015 - 09:44 AM

And it started when I was very little. I just cried and refused to eat because the plate had a bad color. I could be starving but I wouldn't eat until somebody put it on the different plate.

• marimochan2 likes this

HW: 207 lbs
LW: 100 lbs

SW: 164,2 lbs
CW: 142,8 lbs

GW1: 145 lbs

GW2: 135 lbs

GW3: 125 lbs

GW4: 115 lbs

GW5: 110 lbs
UGW: 100 lbs
H: 169cm
Too much brooding, too much booze...

starbuck.jpg

#13 LesserCreature

LesserCreature

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 03:42 PM

I was a selective eater. I grew out of it for the most part, especially when I learned to cook. I learned all about food, how food "worked", and became open to all kinds of new tastes and textures.

I can't eat eggs or egg based things like quiche though. Can't do it. Looks gross, smells gross, texture is gross.

My two year old is a selective eater. She doesn't like plant textures. All her fruits and veggies come in the form of purées. She's really difficult to feed a balanced diet. She doesn't like most meat, either. It can be rather frustrating. She's sooooo suspicious of new foods.

tQmCOMn.jpg
Sorrow has a human heart

24 years old ~ Anorexia Nervosa - Binge/Purge Subtype
Height: 5'8
CW: 91
**ATTEMPTING RECOVERY**

#14 Vince

Vince

Sage

• Members
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 04:50 PM

Some of that sounds familiar, like for my whole life even before I started dieting. I've always hated the texture of baked beans for instance, reminds me of mashed potato which I also don't like. There's a lot of foods I don't like/have never tried because of appearance, texture or smell. I thought I was just fussy. XD I notice a few people on here mention they have some form of autism, I've heard of it in that context before but I'm not autistic that I know of, so I guess mine must be for slightly different reasons. Is SED a recognised condition separate from autism?

• marimochan2 likes this

5' 1"

HW: 8 stone, 12 pounds/BMI 23.4

LW: 5 stone, 12 pounds/BMI 15.5

[size=5]CW: 7 stone, 4 pounds/BMI 19.3

downtown_chariot.nocrop.w529.h375.gif

#15 Vince

Vince

Sage

• Members
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 04:53 PM

I was a selective eater. I grew out of it for the most part, especially when I learned to cook. I learned all about food, how food "worked", and became open to all kinds of new tastes and textures.

I can't eat eggs or egg based things like quiche though. Can't do it. Looks gross, smells gross, texture is gross.

My two year old is a selective eater. She doesn't like plant textures. All her fruits and veggies come in the form of purées. She's really difficult to feed a balanced diet. She doesn't like most meat, either. It can be rather frustrating. She's sooooo suspicious of new foods.

The suspicion of new foods (neophobia) is quite common around 2, it's because evolutionarily 2 years is about the age kids will wander off/explore more so if they would put anything in their mouths (as younger children do) they might have eaten poisonous berries etc. Most children grow out of it so don't worry for now, just keep putting the new foods on her plate and even if she doesn't eat them repeatedly seeing them/touching them will help her familiarise herself and she might try eventually.

• marimochan2 likes this

5' 1"

HW: 8 stone, 12 pounds/BMI 23.4

LW: 5 stone, 12 pounds/BMI 15.5

[size=5]CW: 7 stone, 4 pounds/BMI 19.3

downtown_chariot.nocrop.w529.h375.gif

#16 LesserCreature

LesserCreature

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 04:58 PM

The suspicion of new foods (neophobia) is quite common around 2, it's because evolutionarily 2 years is about the age kids will wander off/explore more so if they would put anything in their mouths (as younger children do) they might have eaten poisonous berries etc. Most children grow out of it so don't worry for now, just keep putting the new foods on her plate and even if she doesn't eat them repeatedly seeing them/touching them will help her familiarise herself and she might try eventually.

Yeah, her doctor says not to pressure her and to keep trying and she will probably grow out of it like I did. My brother is a selective eater too, and has gotten better, but it is still really limited. I don't think my dad was ever diagnosed as such but he said he was a really picky kid and is still a bit picky as an adult (and he used to be a chef.) it's like it runs in the family.

tQmCOMn.jpg
Sorrow has a human heart

24 years old ~ Anorexia Nervosa - Binge/Purge Subtype
Height: 5'8
CW: 91
**ATTEMPTING RECOVERY**

#17 lysithea

lysithea

Omniscient

• Members
  • 3,993 posts
  • Locationin orbit around jupiter

Posted 02 May 2015 - 09:42 PM

i don't eat any nuts or seeds. i won't eat "stale" bread or bread crusts or bread with like grains and seeds and stuff inside.no raisins, tomatoes, or chicken. no mushrooms, no onions, i don't like greek food or korean or thai. i will only eat real mayonnaise. the only jam i like is grape. and the list goes on and on and on

i honestly hate it. i won't eat anything that i'm picky about, so on the rare occasions that my mom actually cooks dinner i can't eat it most of the time. it'll have mushrooms or tomatoes or chicken in it.

the pickiness definitely contributed to my osfed because i kind of adapted the mentality that i won't eat anything unless i know that i'll enjoy it.

Spoiler
ZrpTDTH.jpg

Watchout buddy, all of my electives were in psychology.

#18 Muted-Whisper

Muted-Whisper

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 15 June 2015 - 06:48 PM

I'm really happy to see this thread?  :blink: I stalked this forum for ages before I became fairly inactive, hoping that someone else would mention SED.... I was always scared of being accused of making it up, if I brought it up first.

It's basically what started my entire issue with food. I stopped eating before I was old enough to string together a sentence, and then progressed to a restricted set of foods for years. I'm getting better, but still not always so good. It's horrible to have people tell you that you're being picky your whole life, when they don't understand, you'd eat it if you could but your body just won't let you. Yuck.

Anyway, I'm so glad to see I'm not making this up all on my own  ^_^

Never said it was good, never said it was new.

Five foot eight inches.

Three days binge free.

#19 GOOD BOY

GOOD BOY

Sage

• Members
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 03:31 PM

I don't eat any seafood, red meat, mayonnaise etc, to the point that it doesn't even appear to be food to me. If I was starving, I'd ignore it. I used to hate indian, soup, chinese and lentils/beans, but over the years I am able to eat very plain versions of them.

enhanced-buzz-15938-1322669839-16.jpg

#20 Watch Me Dissolve

Watch Me Dissolve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 June 2015 - 05:01 PM

I think my son has this. He has autism as well. He's extremely picky about what he will eat, and gets very upset or even angry if I try to get him to eat new foods.

For instance.. he will only drink milk. No water, no juice, no tea... just milk. (And he's lactose intolerant, so i have to buy him lactaid at $5/half gallon; he goes through a carton a day.) And he will ONLY drink it out of his one special cup; he'd rather go thirsty all day than drink water or use a different cup.

Its frustrating; he doesn't eat a very wide variety of food and I worry for his longterm health.
This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality.. embrace this moment, remember: we are eternal, all this pain is an illusion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users