PM issues

MPA is a forum and community to offer support and recovery for those afflicted with an eating disorder. It is not a place to encourage people to further their eating disorder. Please be cognizant of this and make MPA the support community it needs to be.

Photo

purging doesn't help you lose weight...

purging starving

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 skinny-ever-after

skinny-ever-after

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:07 PM

Something I've seen on here a couple times. But what happens when you purge everything you eat, you're basically not eating anything, therefore starving yourself so why wouldn't you lose weight? Even if some calories get absorbed before you get rid of it, that's still hardly anything. So am I right? If you purge everything you eat you'll still lose weight? Especially if you have a lot of weight to lose...

The thoughts I'm thinking aren't safe and I'm probably killing myself

but I honestly don't care anymore. 

#2 dietburger

dietburger

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:20 PM

Purging* tends to lead to binging. At first, when you've just started, it will probably help you lose weight quite well. Purging combined with restricting will also work. However, if you regutaly b/p, in many cases, you will gain weight instead of losing it. It's also really unhealthy, but so is starving. The difference is just that starving works better than purging and is a way safer bet (purely in terms of not digesting any/too many calories).

*By purging, I mean throwing up. Exercise, laxatives and post-binge fasting also counts as purging, but what I meant here was vormiting. Overexercising will definitely help you lose a ton of weight, but it also tires you out and is not healthier than any other ED behaviour. Laxatives don't really work and post-binge fasting wil at best help you maintain but no serious weight loss can be expected.

• needskinnyyy, HippieSunflower and RasberryGirl like this

BMI: 17.0

HW: 137 lbs

CW: 103 lbs

GW1: 130lbs

GW2: 120lbs                                        Oh no, you mustn't eat it. Just... arrange it. 

GW3: 110 lbs

GW4: 100 lbs                                                       a-dderallbinge.tumblr.com

UGW: 90lbs                                                      itsbuffaythevampirelayer.tumblr.com

Who is the third who walks always beside you?
When I count, there are only you and I together
But when I look ahead up the white road
There is always another one walking beside you
Gliding wrapt in a brown mantle, hooded
I do not know whether a man or a woman
—But who is that on the other side of you?

#3 Yoyo

Yoyo

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:26 PM

^^ this. It's really the b/p that gets you.

If it helps here is some math (I'm a dork): let's say on a binge day you eat 6,000 calories (because its possible and it makes the math nice) and you purge all of what you ate. Well you still absorb some of it, lets say 1/3 to 1/2 of the calories are absorbed dispute purging. Then you've eaten 2,000 to 3,000 calories effectively. Definitely going to gain weight!

Even if you don't have that many calories in your binge it still adds up to way more than you would eat while restricting.
  • dietburger, needskinnyyy and skinny-ever-after like this

#4 BreelynnTheKid

BreelynnTheKid

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:44 PM

I've been meaning to post about this!

I've been purging pretty bad lately, but not really bingeing and still eating healthy food for the most part.

I have been losing weight still, but I can tell its tearing my throat the fuck up so I still wanna take a break >.<

Its kind of comforting knowing that if I eat a huge chicken salad (still not that many cals) and feel the need to throw it up, I'm not going to gain because of it.

And as far as the math goes, yoyo seems pretty spot on, but I read somewhere that you absorb 20% of an effective B/P.  To be safe, when I do my calorie count I double it and say 40%, and when I've genuinely binged, its still a fuckton! lol

tumblr_lyn5xla3KT1rox4bso1_r1_500.gif

5'3

NextGW: 101lbs

UGW: 89lbs

#5 Guest_Bittersweetella_*

Guest_Bittersweetella_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:44 PM

Yeah, for a while I would eat up to 500 calories a day and purge everything I ate. Destroyed my voice, lost a lot of hair, happiness, and of course weight. I got down to 79 but I had to stop because I literally thought I was going to die. So yes, you loose weight if you don't binge, but it's still not worth it.

• TOBEWITHYOU likes this

#6 TheBouquineuse

TheBouquineuse

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:46 PM

It helps you and it doesn't. For instance, I've lost 40 pounds since I started purging. Then again, I don't really binge. I just eat maybe two meals a day (I eat too much during these meals; about 800-1200 calories) and I purge them both. Then again, whenever I stop purging, I tend to gain a lot of weight.

So yea, it does help. But it's not really worth it.

• skinny-ever-after and Skinnyhasnolimit like this

~ Heather 

HW- 250 lbs January 1st 2013  

CW- 174

GW- 150 (For now at least!)

Height: 5'7

#7 Jasmin Kooper

Jasmin Kooper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 03:25 AM

But if you dont binge but eat normally and purge after every time you eat you will lose weight

#8 Guest_shannonnonnahs_*

Guest_shannonnonnahs_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2014 - 03:28 AM

I hit 90 lbs by binging and purging on over 30,000 calories a day.

wasn't worth it though

#9 innerhunger

innerhunger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:50 AM

i've been binging and purging regularly since my relapse, 3 years ago, and the only time i gain weigh is when i cut the purging. otherwise i am shredding pounds steadily (also i'm severely underweight) so it varies from body to body. 

• thinperfection likes this

"We turn skeletons into goddesses and look to them 
as if they might teach us how not to need."

HH: 1.7m
HW: 52kg

CW: 39kg
GW: 38kg
UGW: 0kg

#10 voguediet

voguediet

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:25 AM

when I initially started b/p (binges being well over 2000 calories & purging referring to vomiting) I gained weight bc I wasn't purging up until the "bile"/empty point. once I hit my year mark of b/p I FINALLY learned to purge "all the way" and began to lose weight while also b/p.

I really think the people who gain from b/p just aren't getting it all up.
  • thinperfection likes this

accountability

Height: 5'9"

SW: 175 lb

CW: 167 lb

UGW: 88 lbs / 40 kg

MyFitnessPal: voguediet

current diet: just restricting

“we turn skeletons into goddesses and look to
them as if they might teach us how not to need.”

2mgmmv8.jpg

#11 Pence

Pence

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:30 AM

If it helps here is some math (I'm a dork): let's say on a binge day you eat 6,000 calories (because its possible and it makes the math nice) and you purge all of what you ate. Well you still absorb some of it, lets say 1/3 to 1/2 of the calories are absorbed dispute purging. Then you've eaten 2,000 to 3,000 calories effectively. Definitely going to gain weight!

Even if you don't have that many calories in your binge it still adds up to way more than you would eat while restricting.

I heard that if you throw up everything and you see it right away you won't absorb any of the calories since digestion happens in the small intestine. There are some girls who eat 5,000~10,000 calorie a day and lose weight/maintain. It depends if you throw it all up or not.

http://www.myproana....e-purging-myth/

Oh geez I just realized that this post is from 2013. Oops.

• voguediet likes this

HW: 140

CW: FAT

LW: 104

5'4                                                                         

GW1: 120                                                              

GW2: 115                                                              

GW3: 110                                                              

GW4: 105

UGW: 98

#12 toukakouka

toukakouka

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • Locationwherever the wind takes meee

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:53 PM

There are people on here who have bmis of 13/14 that bp 20-30,000 cals a day, and are still losing.
I don't think there are any solid numbers or percentages when it comes to purging..
  • thinperfection, ☕thin_wreck☕ and halconera like this

<p>.•*•.T O U K A K O U K A .•*•.
Height: 4'9
CW:77 pounds
GW:75 pounds
2GW:70 pounds
UGW:60 pounds~

BMI:16.7 or some shit

--------------------------

"A lesson without pain is meaningless, for you cannot gain anything without sacrificing something else first -- But once you have overcome it, and made it your own, you will gain an irreplaceable Fullmetal heart." - Edward Elric

tumblr_inline_ncuu8enPCs1rz7mio.gif

"Sedated, we're nursing on a poison that never stung
Our teeth and lungs are lined with the scum of it.
Somewhere for this, death and guns
We are deaf, we are numb
Free and young and we can feel none of it."

tumblr_mc1055D9cQ1rn95k2o1_500.gif

"Beneath her sky, a punishing cold."

"But for all he's worth,
He still shatters always on her earth --
The cause of every tear she'd ever weep."

fa3bf3cd5e8cee1dab72b71a53b6b4f7.jpg

"Run 'til you feel your lungs bleeding."

#13 BeautifulSomeday

BeautifulSomeday

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 02:46 AM

I never could really understand why, but I've never lost a considerable amount of weight purging in the years that I've done it… I purge everything, and I rarely even binge, so I don't know, it seems like I should have. I do have PCOS though, which tends to make weight loss almost impossible, so maybe it's a bit of an anomaly… my weight just tended to be pretty static. Didn't gain, but also didn't lose. Purging for me didn't start as an attempt to control my weight though, it was just a self-destructive behavior that I latched onto.

• Gizzygirl14 likes this

#14 Kygirl

Kygirl

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts
  • LocationThe south

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:16 AM

I never had to binge to purge I would eat fairly normal amount of food and purge. I also restricted. I lost weight and maintained it by purging....exercise, vomiting

UGW- I have a long way to go to 115!!

#15 PeanutButterByTheSpoon

PeanutButterByTheSpoon

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • 1,669 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:51 AM

It can as long as you do it right away to get all calories out and not having binges that big so there isn't much to purge!
To me as long as your skinny than everything's fine!"
Height 5'1/2 (my past eating disorders made me short)
Goals
CW 120 pounds (not gonna weight myself until January 4th!)
[] GW1 104 pounds : a day with my mom:
[] GW2 99 pounds : an Emerson blender:
[] GW3 93 pounds :get my friends back:
[] GW4 90 pounds :a nail strengthener:
[] UGW 88 pounds new makeup, a new hair color, a new wardrobe, a new attitude, happiness, a new personality, a party, and a new life!
[X] collarbones
[] a flat stomach
[] at 89 pounds
[] bikini bridge when laying down
[] thigh gap when feet are 5 inches apart (my hips are too narrow for a true thigh gap)
[] thin arms
[X] Calve gap
Once UGW reached than just don't gain. Keep it between 88-91
Lindsay+Ellingson+2011+Victoria+Secret+F
ec538870-c09e-11e3-b00a-0d4f07a64adf_Per
summer%2Bdress.jpg

"Pain, without love, Pain, I can't get enough, Pain, I like it rough, because I'd rather feel pain than nothing at all" - Three Days Grace
"Discipline is giving up what you want now, for what you want the most"- unknown
"Thin is only for the very strong people, very few can earn it, be one of those that does earn it" - me
"No matter how slow you go, you are always doing better than the people that choose to sit on their butt and not even try" - Julian Michael
"Nothing taste as good as thin does" Kate Moss
"it's okay to hate the way you look if your not fit"

My smart ass responses to quotes
"Real women have curves"
My response: Real women have breasts and v**inas,and if you feel female, I will still call you a women, plus extra fat isn't real, you added that to your body, and your probaly so fat, you can't see your v**gina when you look down, who's the "real women" now?
"Your beautiful the way god made you"
My response: God didn't make people with extra fat, you added the extra fat to your body.
"Boys/Men like women who have asses and boobs/curves"
My response" Boys and men like whatever the wanna like, plus I am doing this cuz I want to, not because I want boys to like me, plus I received more male attention when I was thinner, so hah!
"Your gonna end looking like a 12 year old boy/ a child"
My response: Hey! Maybe I wanna look like that!
"Thin isn't beautiful"
I think it is! And if it "isn't attractive" so much, why are there so many models who are thin, Plus there is nothing that is or isn't beautiful, What is beautiful? It's whatever you think is beautiful, and I think thin is beautiful!

#16 Guest_ElizabethHarper_*

Guest_ElizabethHarper_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:59 AM

WTF, how did this resurrect? :P Idc, i just hate it when drama posts are revived! This one seems harmless :) 

I have lost about 7 lbs in the last 2 weeks via purging. The trick is to not make you binges huge. Also, i weigh myself before a binge and then make sure I get back down to the weight via purging. 

If you get it mostly out, then you will totally loose weight. Talk to someone diagnosed with anorexia subtype b/p :P

In my experience, it is not as fast but still reliable

Before I get any hate, purging is dangerous and comes with a host of medical consequences. But it does work...  

#17 blackclothes-redlipstick

blackclothes-redlipstick

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • LocationAntarctica

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:34 AM

It all depends on what type of bulimic you are. 

I do subjective (under 3,000 cal but a lot for me) binges and purge it all several times a day and have lost around 25 lbs. I also do basically what OP described and purged everything I ate making me hungry and thus binge and then purge that. Some bulimics gain because their binges are too big and they couldn't purge it all or they only purge once a day. 

☾ *:.。.☯.。.:*・ ☽

Height: 5'11''

B: 33''

W: 25.5''

H: 36''

"Just a teenage model obsessing over herself"

☾ *:.。.☯.。.:*・ ☽

tumblr_inline_n0flaaYUMX1qeqycx.gif

#18 desparexic

desparexic

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:20 AM

Also, think about how much energy (cals burned) it takes to purge, and your body trying to repair itself after.  I've never figured out how many cals purging burns.

• un-filled likes this

Trying recovery.

EDNOS

slide_324961_3107885_free.gif

#19 halconera

halconera

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • 1,828 posts
  • LocationPurgeatory

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:33 AM

Also, think about how much energy (cals burned) it takes to purge, and your body trying to repair itself after. I've never figured out how many cals purging burns.

Me too! My legs and stomach always hurt and I get sweaty sometimes....it must count as exercise! Bulimia abs anyone?

5'10"

CW: 116

BMI: 16.6
HW: 142
LW: 104

“Alone. Yes, that's the key word, the most awful word in the English tongue. Murder doesn't hold a candle to it and hell is only a poor synonym.” 

-Stephen King

You cannot hurt me...because I can run faster, jump higher, endure for longer. I am stronger than you because I need less than you. Less food, less water, less sleep, less love. And you can NEVER hurt me worse than I can hurt myself. I will always win.

#20 Broken Dragon

Broken Dragon

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,590 posts
  • LocationIn my fantasy

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:24 PM

Well, to be fair, a lot of people say that to scare others.
It's not something definite that you will lose weight by purging though. People who do lose weight clearly get everything up. Or maybe they don't binge and then purge, maybe they eat only a little or the amount of a normal person and then get rid of that.
Others may think they got all the food up, but calories are still absorbed and not everything makes it up. Sometimes no matter how hard you try, it just won't come up. Depends what you've eaten, and it also depends how much you've eaten. If you binge on 5000+ calories, that may take a while and some of the food will be digested pretty much.
Oh, and then there's that terrifying time when you realize... you can't purge. Basically, your gag reflex is dead for a while and you've probably binged HARD and have no way of fixing that. It is so scary lol.

But basically, it's different for everyone. No one is the same. Some people lose, some people maintain, some people even gain. It all just depends.

wonder-lovely-pretty-dragon.jpg

Broken Dragon

MY FAVE QUOTES   

"I'm pretty, but I'm not beautiful.

I sin, but I'm not the devil.

I'm good, but I'm not an angel."

~ MARILYN MONROE

"The truth is everyone's going to hurt you.

You just gotta find the ones worth suffering for."

~ BOB MARLEY

"Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same."

~ THE FRAY

"Be the change you want to see in the world."

~ MAHATMA GANDHI

"Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference."

~ WINSTON CHURCHILL

"You can close your eyes to the things you don't want to see,

but you can't close your heart to the things you don't want to feel."

~ JOHNNY DEPP

"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new."

~ ALBERT EINSTEIN

"Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not.

Wear it like armor and it can never be used to hurt you."

~ TYRION LANNISTER (GAME OF THRONES)

"I'm strong on the surface, not all the way through,

I've never been perfect, but neither have you."

"Someday the weight of the world will give you the strengh to go."

~ LINKIN PARK

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: purging, starving

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users