About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Is this rumination?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Viscera_*

Guest_Viscera_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2015 - 07:43 PM

I was wondering if this classified as rumination disorder, because to my understand rumination is actually swallowing the food and bringing it back up. And I'm not actually swallowing it and throwing it up into my mouth. But I'm semi swallowing it. 

But here is what I have to say.

When I eat chips, or those arrowroot baby cookies, I chew it till its either mostly paste or complete paste in my mouth, then I start to swallow it. But before I properly swallow it, like it doesn't go down my throat completely, I bring it back into my mouth and either finish chewing it till its completely pasty and when its all pasty i keep it close to the back of my throat and kinda suck and chew on it. Then I swallow it proper. I've been doing this for years. Since I was a kid. Long before my ED developed.

Thanks to anyone who replies :)

• heythereitsme likes this

#2 Guest_maxfromthegrinch_*

Guest_maxfromthegrinch_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2015 - 03:34 PM

Rumination syndrome, as far as I know, involves food being regurgitated from the stomach involuntarily. From your post i'm assuming that you choose to only half-swallow the food; RS is generally considered to be the result of a reflex, not a conscious decision. Not the ultimate authority, though; definitely check out this thread for some more conclusive info. Hope this helps!

#3 Guest_Viscera_*

Guest_Viscera_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2015 - 07:34 PM

Rumination syndrome, as far as I know, involves food being regurgitated from the stomach involuntarily. From your post i'm assuming that you choose to only half-swallow the food; RS is generally considered to be the result of a reflex, not a conscious decision. Not the ultimate authority, though; definitely check out this thread for some more conclusive info. Hope this helps!

Thanks that's what my understanding of rumination was, that it was an involuntary thing. I'll definitely check out the thread! I've got to set another doctors appointment. It's something I'm going to ask her about. I think its probably just some weird eating habit I developed 

#4 michaeljonson

michaeljonson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 03:51 AM

How are you now? What did the doctor say?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users