About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Is it rumination disorder if

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 bythestreams

bythestreams

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 10:40 PM

I do it on purpose ... yet can't stop?

I purged for 8 years straight, often over 20 times a day (I was most often anorexia purging type), and now in recovery I don't purge ever really, but every time I eat I consciously aND purposely bring the food back up, rechew, and swallow for about an hour after I eat if not longer. **It stems from having been a hands-free purger for most of the 8 years I purged.** I can just purge on command whether sitting standing laying anything. It's terrible.

But now I'm recovering from anorexia and I just do this constantly. It's a conscious "choice" not an accident, but Im also having trouble quitting. It's like a really addicting habit.

I also have GERD and Gastroparesis, so that probably makes it a lot easier. But doing this for so long after a meal probably doesn't help my GP. But I'm struggling to stop even though I purposely do it. (I know that makes no sense). Oh and I don't purge anymore so I always reswallow (like I said for about an hour after eating).

Is this rumination disorder or just a really gross habit I have after so many years of purging??

The only way I can seem to not do it is if I take some kind of gross pill directly after eating. And I only take vitamins so it only helps me out once a day. But even then sometimes I'll put off taking the vitamins so I can do it... but yeah it is every time I eat...

#2 spoonface

spoonface

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 05:07 AM

I do the exact same thing (deliberately regurgitating, re-chewing and swallowing after eating). I was also a hands-free purger for a long period of time. I also have stomach issues so that I think sometimes in the distant past I felt that this happened unintentionally, but then it became intentional. I am not sure. I am doing it right now. Do not know how to refer to it. 

#3 musicalfailure

musicalfailure

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,458 posts
  • LocationAs far away from paradise as you can possibly be..

Posted 10 September 2015 - 01:39 PM

For me it's half controlled, half accidental. Sometimes I burp and suddenly liquid in my mouth, and I'm like "crap what am I supposed to do now". I have to find somewhere to spit it out, I very rarely swallow it again because I'm scared of the calories. But I know me trying to control it and deliberately trigger it is what made it get out of hand like this. I manipulated it into my own personal handfree method of vomiting.

If I want to purge, all I do is tighten my throat or stomach muscles and there it is. If it won't budge straight away then I use water (please don't do it anyone else, that's dangerous) to get it to move. Usually I know when it's about to come up because it feels like I'm about to have a gigantic burp but instead food comes up rather than having a burp.

So it is most of the time my choice whether or not I use my muscles to bring it up, but either way, it comes up, I just have to ignore it sometimes and that's hard.

• Rusalka. and CSummereee3 like this

Spoiler

My Accountability

tumblr_m9xovuBaz31r1l147o1_500.gif

Currently struggling with Anorexia Nervosa

Previously Diagnosed: EDNOS, Restrictive & Purging (Feb 2015) + Bulimia Nervosa (Sep 2013)

Undiagnosed Rumination Disorder

CW: LW (Unconfirmed because I'm a coward)

HW: 139lbs (BMI: 21.1)

LW: Under 118lbs (BMI: < 17.9)

GW: 92lbs (BMI: 13.9)

Height: 173cm (5'8")

(I don't have a UGW, it'll never be enough :()

gallery_107479_12557_10484.jpg

:wub:  CHEST BONES, THIGH GAPS, HIP BONES, ARM GAPS, CHEEK BONES    :wub: 

Longest Fast: 26 Days (21st April - 17th May, 2015)

tumblr_mpa1bpjI531svs8v4o1_500.gif

#4 Guest_hedonistic-shrinking_*

Guest_hedonistic-shrinking_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2015 - 07:18 AM

musicalfailure, same-same. It became hands-free purging. little by little the rejected calories add up :wub:

I feel sick and guilty that I enjoy it or "milk it"! I think years of coffee drinking, ATTEMPTING to purge, overfilling my stomach with food, and that anxious frantic I-must-nullify-what-I-just-consumed-feeling, tenseness of the abdomen, sometimes I have reflux triggers, like getting grossed out at the pig in the mirror, a song that makes me want to starve, something I'm thinking or what someone said, sometimes thinspo makes me tense and expel food. on more than one occasion, I walk by a really thin girl in the street or see someone jogging, I heave a large mouthful, I spit it off to the side or in a garbage can so no one steps on it.

it sucks when I'm in public and it has to be reswallowed if I have absolutely nowhere to spit it (I have no qualms about spitting it on the sidewalk, idgaf, people sometimes puke on the street), but indoors in public, I feel disgusting swallowing acidic food slop​ :unsure:

#5 iri

iri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 10:44 PM

I do it too, especially when drinking cold smoothies. IDK, I just enjoy it. I know it's damaging but... meh.

w4oigdT.png

#6 satans child

satans child

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 23 December 2015 - 11:40 PM

I seriously was worried if I was the only person who did it on purpose sometimes...

Height : 5'4

Current Weight : ridiculously overweight

Current goal weight : 230

Ultimate goal weight : 100

current cycle [b/p/r]: Leaving a binge cycle and entering restrictive purging cycle

230 |  220 | 210 | 200 

I've lost my fucking mind.

Thinking thin thoughts and fantasizing about death.

Hungry to bed and hungry to rise will eventually make me a small size.

Eating isn't very Chanel.

#7 *Dance*Magic*Necromancy*

*Dance*Magic*Necromancy*

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,848 posts
  • LocationHangryland

Posted 24 December 2015 - 12:32 AM

mine happens not on purpose and it sucks...I'll drink something to fast or swallow too hard and it triggers it...
  • CSummereee3 likes this

gallery_165795_16822_10116.gif

stressed_out___twenty_one_pilots_lyrics_

|Annah Kim|

|24|

|Anorexia Nervosa, Anxiety, Rumination Disorder, and Depression (all are diagnosed)|

|Height:5'8|

|CW: 75 pounds (maintained for 3+ months now)|
PM me if you need someone to talk to, and we can snark the pain away. <3

MPA's Snaky Tea, K-pop, and Cat collector

2SzytTI.gif

tumblr_muvsjvBxHl1s1r2yfo1_400.gif

#8 CSummereee3

CSummereee3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 24 December 2015 - 07:49 AM

For me it's half controlled, half accidental. Sometimes I burp and suddenly liquid in my mouth, and I'm like "crap what am I supposed to do now". I have to find somewhere to spit it out, I very rarely swallow it again because I'm scared of the calories. But I know me trying to control it and deliberately trigger it is what made it get out of hand like this. I manipulated it into my own personal handfree method of vomiting.

If I want to purge, all I do is tighten my throat or stomach muscles and there it is. If it won't budge straight away then I use water (please don't do it anyone else, that's dangerous) to get it to move. Usually I know when it's about to come up because it feels like I'm about to have a gigantic burp but instead food comes up rather than having a burp.

So it is most of the time my choice whether or not I use my muscles to bring it up, but either way, it comes up, I just have to ignore it sometimes and that's hard.

This happens to me too. I chug water and then bend over. If nothing comes up after bending over once, then I jump up and down and bend over a few more times until something does. Sometimes though there is a delayed effect and I will end up sitting and all of the sudden have to throw up . Lately it's been purging into my hand on accident. 

"Hunger hurts but starving works when it costs to much to love."- Fiona Apple 

Sometimes I wish I could be a walking skeleton.                

weight.png

QUEER. 19.  CREATIVE CANNABIS USER           

#9 michaeljonson

michaeljonson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 05:06 AM

I don’t think it is rumination disorder. What did the doctor say about the condition?

#10 Velvetangel

Velvetangel

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationCanada!

Posted 27 August 2016 - 09:29 AM

I'm diagnosed with rumination disorder, but for me personally it has nothing to do with regurgitation. I just chew up and spit out my food

#11 faith4444

faith4444

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 October 2016 - 05:12 AM

I didn't know this was a thing!! I do this all the time...and it is like a burp mixed with acid reflex...actually because of this I freak out about eating...so I just restrict to avoid this....

~Blessed be~

~ Young Witchling~

~FASTING~
small-snowflake-tattoo-on-pinterest-tattsmall-snowflake-tattoo-on-pinterest-tattsmall-snowflake-tattoo-on-pinterest-tatt

#12 aboutagirl6888

aboutagirl6888

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 25 October 2016 - 12:43 AM

I used to ruminate constantly! I'm also a hands-free purger, so there may be a connection there. I don't think I did it consciously the first few times it happened, but after that I started doing it just to prove I could bring food up at will...

I don't purge as often as I used to, so I don't experience the rumination as much. 

e728f6c892606f135c40da94629d1919.md.gif

HW: 162 lbs

LW: 114 lbs

CW: 146

1st GW: 135 lbs

2nd GW: 120 lbs

3rd GW: 110 lbs

4th GW: 100 lbs

UGW: 90 lbs

#13 Rusalka.

Rusalka.

vomiting visionary

• Members
  • 2,043 posts
  • Locationthe asylum

Posted 25 October 2016 - 01:21 PM

Mine happens accidentally (although I can also do it on purpose, which is how I started purging...) I've always had it but never told anyone about it. 

-In recovery-

"I meant it when I said I want to get well!"

"...you made

My battle-scars a balustrade: 

Of fire: crimson of veins. 

Column of deeds and pains." 

CW: 116 LW: 89 GW: 110

Accountability

Poetry 

<3

Princess Scilla of the witches

x5c84bf.jpg?1

Spoiler

Spoiler

#14 Skinny88

Skinny88

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 10:06 PM

Mine happens accidentally (although I can also do it on purpose, which is how I started purging...) I've always had it but never told anyone about it.

I have the same problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

im 5'7 and im currently 76.2lbs

i dont really have a goal weight anymore i guess when im happy which probs wont happen.....

i have anorexia binge purge subtype.if you want to know anything else about me message me  :)

" its better to burn out then fade away"

"life happens. theres no point in being upset or down about things we cant control or change"

i didnt say it would be easy i said it would be worth it.

#15 ButterThigh

ButterThigh

Advanced Guru

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 02 November 2016 - 01:18 PM

i carry a 32oz gas station soda cup with me, so that if i do eat out, i will drink as much diet coke as possible and its coming up in the car before i'm even back on the road. missed it a few times...dropped it once. yay weathertech floor liners

Being an adult is a lot like being in a Quintin Tarantino movie. It starts out really cool, there's lots of cussing, it's very confusing, and everyone dies.

weight.png

#16 mustbeprettythin

mustbeprettythin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 01:28 PM

I do it on purpose ... yet can't stop?

I purged for 8 years straight, often over 20 times a day (I was most often anorexia purging type), and now in recovery I don't purge ever really, but every time I eat I consciously aND purposely bring the food back up, rechew, and swallow for about an hour after I eat if not longer. **It stems from having been a hands-free purger for most of the 8 years I purged.** I can just purge on command whether sitting standing laying anything. It's terrible.

But now I'm recovering from anorexia and I just do this constantly. It's a conscious "choice" not an accident, but Im also having trouble quitting. It's like a really addicting habit.

I also have GERD and Gastroparesis, so that probably makes it a lot easier. But doing this for so long after a meal probably doesn't help my GP. But I'm struggling to stop even though I purposely do it. (I know that makes no sense). Oh and I don't purge anymore so I always reswallow (like I said for about an hour after eating).

Is this rumination disorder or just a really gross habit I have after so many years of purging??

The only way I can seem to not do it is if I take some kind of gross pill directly after eating. And I only take vitamins so it only helps me out once a day. But even then sometimes I'll put off taking the vitamins so I can do it... but yeah it is every time I eat...

It isn't actually un-common for people who have purged to experience this. Rumination is caused by different things. At first it was just thought of as being related to infants and those with a special need/learning disability. Over the years it's become recognised as an issue with adults of normal IQ's as well as those with a history of eating disorders, in particular bulimia. 

I have an issue that is similar to rumination syndrome. I cannot keep food down. The amount of food I get rid of is mass amounts so I cannot re-chew it and swallow it. For nearly 2 years now I have had what I refer to as "in-voluntary bulimia" where I basically purge what I eat but do not force myself to do it. At first it started out and I would say I had some conscious control over it. I'd burp and food would come back up. Now it's caused issues with food staying in my stomach. Food causes me a lot of pain, it causes bloating to the extent I look several months pregnant and it also causes nausea. Although I can still to an extent control it (for example if I don't burp it won't come back up) I can't not do it as it's so painful.

• Skinny88 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users