About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Does rumination correlate with eating disorders?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ZoeMawr

ZoeMawr

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • LocationWales

Posted 16 August 2015 - 06:41 AM

I apologise in advance if this is judgemental, please correct me asap if I'm wrong.

If I am correct then rumination is a condition in which the sufferer, who is usually under 7, involuntarily vomits food which has just been swallowed, and chews it as if it had just been introduced, later either swallowing or spitting it out.

Why is this forum on mpa? Do you cover chew/spitters, or am I just ignorant when it comes to adult ruminatists?

I am honestly interested in mental health, not just being snarky about the forums.

Thanking you in advance :)

oie_3_L5_WHk5_Mwb4b.gif

I don't care if it hurts

I wanna have control

I wanna perfect body

I wanna perfect soul

#2 Guest_lazy egg_*

Guest_lazy egg_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2015 - 07:14 PM

right now this plum keeps coming back up into my mouth then I chew the chunky peels and fibres. no good for my teeth that's for sure. I don't feel like running to spit out a healthy plum so im kinda playing ping pong here with my belly and the plums cellulose/fiber chunks is the ball

• Bananasaurus likes this

#3 skinnydreams321

skinnydreams321

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 08:34 PM

right now this plum keeps coming back up into my mouth then I chew the chunky peels and fibres. no good for my teeth that's for sure. I don't feel like running to spit out a healthy plum so im kinda playing ping pong here with my belly and the plums cellulose/fiber chunks is the ball

wow that sounds awful :( do you have to deal with that everyday?

5'4
                                                                                 sw-180  
                                                                                 CW-130
                                                                                 GW-110

#4 Guest_lazy egg_*

Guest_lazy egg_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2015 - 01:15 PM

i try not to overfill my belly and not drink more than maybe 14 oz at a time. its happening right now. it seems to happen with any amount of food but it depends on the type

#5 NailsandMatchsticks

NailsandMatchsticks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 02:39 PM

Thats how it is for me, I am currently doing what lazy egg is doing but with tomato. I don't know what causes it for me, and for the longest I would just reswallow it because  it would be hard to function where every 2 minutes I have to get up to throw up a mouth full of vomit. 

Plus for some people (like me) it has been a part of their lives for so long they just never thought it was something odd, in fact I would refer to it as chewing my cud lol. 

• Bananasaurus likes this

free_sally_pixel_icon_by_gutterface-d64q

TEAM SALLY

Nightmare Before Christmas Challenge 

Weight and Goals

Spoiler

Days without binging: 0

Accountability aka THE MATCHBOX

#6 musicalfailure

musicalfailure

Choose your own title! PM Admin or Bibs.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,025 posts
  • LocationAs far away from paradise as you can possibly be..

Posted 10 September 2015 - 01:35 PM

While it's seen as a child thing, I did read an information thing about it once and it does say that rumination disorder can be developed in serious eating disorders too. Personally I developed mine when I still had bulimia. I was trying to make myself sick a lot and I never really succeeded through fingers, this is what works for me and tbh I don't know what I'd do without it. It's my method of purging.

I can feel it in the pit of my throat now. It can be really irritating sometimes.

Spoiler

My Accountability

tumblr_m9xovuBaz31r1l147o1_500.gif

Currently struggling with Anorexia Nervosa

Previously Diagnosed: EDNOS, Restrictive & Purging (Feb 2015) + Bulimia Nervosa (Sep 2013)

Undiagnosed Rumination Disorder

CW: LW (Unconfirmed because I'm a coward)

HW: 139lbs (BMI: 21.1)

LW: Under 118lbs (BMI: < 17.9)

GW: 92lbs (BMI: 13.9)

Height: 173cm (5'8")

(I don't have a UGW, it'll never be enough :()

gallery_107479_12557_10484.jpg

:wub:  CHEST BONES, THIGH GAPS, HIP BONES, ARM GAPS, CHEEK BONES    :wub: 

Longest Fast: 26 Days (21st April - 17th May, 2015)

tumblr_mpa1bpjI531svs8v4o1_500.gif

#7 Marylith

Marylith

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Place

Posted 04 October 2015 - 01:54 PM

*looks around*

Umm... I think I belong to this section of the site more than any other area perhaps. Like a few others I seem to have issues with acid reflux and GERD with doctors just passing me medications like Prilosec, Nexium, etc. primarily PPIs. They really don't know what's wrong with me, give me pills, and have me go on my merry way. I have an extreme aversion to food coming back up so I just swallow it down until it seems I'm playing yo-yo with my esophagus. I also have this issue with "normal" portions of food. I do not overeat at all.

Well... I don't overeat so I'm not the binging type. I hate vomiting so I'm not the purging type. Since "normal" portions are not working for me, I gravitate to "less than normal" portions. I eat about a teaspoon of food sometimes like yogurt. I'm totally fine just sipping on black coffee and water. This feeling of hunger is better than nausea and puking to me.

...And you know how GERD is usually associated with being overweight or obese, right?? Geez... I'm at a "normal" weight, but... I guess I'm still being irresponsible with myself. I mean, I wouldn't be having problems like this if I wasn't doing something wrong. Whatever it is, it's my fault and its up to me to control it. Maybe I really am too fat because my body is gross and not functioning correctly so I have to take responsibility for myself.

It's my rationale in a nutshell. I've talked too much, but maybe you can see a link there. Sorry for talking so much.
HW: 120
LW: 96
CW: 113 110 109 108 107 105 103 101
GW: 85
UGW: ???
onh08.gif sPfl1.gifTrNXQ.gifUQtlB.gifqqkj0.gif3BtjA.gifJs2QR.gifds46I.gifc3Gsk.gifZn8l3.gif

#8 Bananasaurus

Bananasaurus

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,158 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 02:24 PM

You all should google "gastroparesis" and "delayed gastric emptying", all of this stuff is kind of related to "rumination"; and, yes, it's hard not to "take advantage" or " abuse" this ability/"talent".
🍌

#9 Guest_angel__*

Guest_angel__*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2015 - 12:22 AM

i have this issue to some extent but it depends on what i eat. I'm mildly lactose intolerant so usually it happens with milk-heavy products and sometimes spicy foods.

#10 nymphx

nymphx

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 10 October 2015 - 09:46 AM

Bringing food back up is a common symptom of GERD as well.

HW: 132lbs / LW: 94lbs

CW: fat (somewhere around 107)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users