About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Relationships with an eating disorder?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tmb-broken

tmb-broken

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 08:17 PM

I'm 21 and have recently started going out with my new boyfriend. I currently am and always have been absolutely terrified of doing anything physical because I'm so ashamed of my body. I'm hoping someone understands where I'm coming from? Will this feeling go away as I learn to trust the guy more?

#2 Flabtastic

Flabtastic

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 08:29 PM

I have this problem every single time I sleep with someone new. I think it's especially normal for people like us who have eating disorders because we are incredibly self-conscious. Luckily, the feeling DOES go away as you learn to trust the guy more. You just have to become comfortable with him, and I'm sure you look better to him than you do to yourself. We are such harsh critics, and it's hard for us to see ourselves in the way in which other people see us. I think you just need to give it time, and you'll be able to relax a little more.

• eraser likes this

5'5" | 107 lbs | 17.8 BMI | Vegan

Hunger hurts, but starving works when it costs too much to love.

#3 melancoliquesmoi

melancoliquesmoi

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 January 2016 - 08:31 PM

I've been there.

This is a very very very common way to feel. Why not express how you're feeling to your s/o and let them know that you are not ready to be physical? You don't necessarily have to tell them the exact reasons why... but just let them know that you aren't ready. 

There is absolutely no reason to rush into it if it makes you uncomfortable and if your partner cares about you they will respect that. 

<3

5'11

HW: 175 lbs

LW: 95 lbs

CW: 113 lbs

GW: 110 lbs

giphy.gif

#4 Bananasaurus

Bananasaurus

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,158 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 10:03 PM

I don't know if it ever "totally" goes away, but as time goes on and the relationship progresses, positively of course, you'll learn to ignore it.
🍌

#5 teaismybutterbeer

teaismybutterbeer

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 01:35 AM

yeah relationships all about support n stuff.. but however diseases scar ur relations :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users