PM issues

MPA is a forum and community to offer support and recovery for those afflicted with an eating disorder. It is not a place to encourage people to further their eating disorder. Please be cognizant of this and make MPA the support community it needs to be.

Photo

Blood Donation

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Thin_AndBones

Thin_AndBones

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:29 PM

I plan on donating blood Friday. There is a 110 pound weight limit, and I am 104. Will there be any serious health implications? What may happen?

#2 Thin_AndBones

Thin_AndBones

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:30 PM

Just saw a similar topic! Sorry if this is a repeat, I hadn't looked at the recent posts yet >.<

#3 Saddizle

Saddizle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:31 PM

Usually they'll have you read a little packet- if you've donated blood before, you've seen it- listing that you're feeling 'healthy and well', if you've ever been outta the country, etc. 
Well, if you haven't eaten anything for a while, you might not even be able to donate. If your iron levels are too low, they won't do the donation. Other than that, they won't really check your weight or anything like that. 
My suggestion- eat Kashi cereal or something the night before and the morning of. Or just take a vitamin pill. 
Good luck!(:

tumblr_m2pbuqrwye1r8k00ro1_r1_500.gif?w=

#4 Inès Larś

Inès Larś

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationCentral London

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:32 PM

I always give blood when I can :)

Its to stop yourself from feeling ill and dizzy. You're more likely to pass out as you have less blood weight that someone that weighs 130lbs for example. So its just to ensure you'll be well during and after it. :)
Good luck for it!

#5 Thin_AndBones

Thin_AndBones

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:34 PM

@saddizle I'm okay with eating before! I find it rewarding to be able to save 3 lives, even at the cost of my own calorie goal for the day. I'm just making sure nothing bad will happen to me!
  • Saddizle likes this

#6 Saddizle

Saddizle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:37 PM

I donate aaaall the time, considering I have O-, and that can be given to anyone.xP 
The only hard thing is resisting all the snacks afterwards... Cookies, brownies, soda pop, oh my!

• Thin_AndBones likes this

tumblr_m2pbuqrwye1r8k00ro1_r1_500.gif?w=

#7 seabone

seabone

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:39 PM

I really want to donate blood, but I found out the other day that I'm not allowed :( I didn't realise there was a bmi minimum you had to be for blood donation....dammit

#8 brooklyne89

brooklyne89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:43 PM

Please don't donate blood if you have been restricting for a while. You are likely anemic, which poses a health risk for you. They may also end up throwing out the blood anyway if the iron levels are too low. (It takes weeks to improve your iron profile, btw).

Current challenges:

Elimination challenge

21 day fast

#9 ladyy_noelle

ladyy_noelle

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:50 PM

@saddizle I'm okay with eating before! I find it rewarding to be able to save 3 lives, even at the cost of my own calorie goal for the day. I'm just making sure nothing bad will happen to me!

think about how hard your body has to work to make more blood.
I try not to worry about intake when donating blood.
HW: 159.6
CW: 119.6
LW: 119.6
GW: 120.0 115.0

#10 ladyy_noelle

ladyy_noelle

Sage

• Members
  • 975 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:51 PM

Please don't donate blood if you have been restricting for a while. You are likely anemic, which poses a health risk for you. They may also end up throwing out the blood anyway if the iron levels are too low. (It takes weeks to improve your iron profile, btw).

they give you a mini blood test beforehand and send you on your way if you aren't fit to donate.
HW: 159.6
CW: 119.6
LW: 119.6
GW: 120.0 115.0

#11 Shapeshifter

Shapeshifter

Sage

• Members
  • 1,222 posts
  • LocationAbilene, Texas

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:29 PM

This

42657031.png

Age:                            23                                    CW:   103.8 lbs. [47.1 kg.]  (BMI: 18.4)

Hight:                         5' 3" [1.6 m]                    HW:   145 lbs. [65.8 kg.]  (BMI: 25.7)

Years Diagnosed                                             LW:    74 lbs.  [33.5 kg.]  (BMI: 13.1)

with Anorexia:         5.5                                   UGW: 90 lbs.  [40.8 kg.]  (BMI: 15.9)

GW 1: 102 lbs. [46.2 kg.]  (BMI: 18.1)            GW 2: 99 lbs. [44.9 kg.]  (BMI: 17.5)      

GW 3: 95 lbs.   [43    kg.]  (BMI: 16.8)             GW 4: 92 lbs. [41.7 kg.]  (BMI: 16.3) 

UGW: NINETY POUNDS!!!

♪♫ I feel something so right doing the wrong thing; I feel something so wrong doing the right thing. I could lie, could lie, could lie... Everything that kills me makes me feel alive. ♪♫ - One Republic, Counting Stars

#12 Leanne Love

Leanne Love

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:41 PM

When a friend and I gave blood, they checked for anemia first and if you were anemic they wouldn't let you donate. Because she was anemic and couldn't give hers

#13 SophiaLouise

SophiaLouise

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:27 AM

I haven't read the replies yet, so if this has already been said: sorry for the repetition (:

I donated blood two weeks ago. They might do it different in your country, but in Australia you have to fill out a massively long survey (have you ever been out of the country? Have you been ill recently? Have you had sex with a prostitute?... You get the idea).
After you've filled out the survey, they measure your height, the your weight.
Then they take you to do in interview where they go through your answers to the survey and do a blood test (just a drop from your finger to scan for HIV/AIDS, and to check your iron level and blood type.
After you've been cleared, they put you in the chair and stick a needle in your arm (:

I would defiantly recommend eating before you go!! I didn't and a passed out because of it! (i was on my second day of fasting)

If you have anymore questions, PM me (:
xx
  • Thin_AndBones likes this

CW: 59kg / 130lbs :(     1GW: 55kg / 120lbs :unsure:     2GW: 50kg / 110lbs :mellow:     3GW: 45kg / 100lbs :)     UGW: 40kg / 90lbs :D

#14 Thin_AndBones

Thin_AndBones

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:03 PM

Update: I lied about my weight and passed the other tests (Surprisingly I wasn't anemic). Everything went well, but then after if was over I started getting really nauseous and then could barely see! They helped me and I didnt pass out, but got really super close. Pretty scary, but I made it out okay!

#15 serotonin-c

serotonin-c

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:06 PM

I donated blood while under the weight restriction and I went into shock and ended up in the hospital. X

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users