PM issues

MPA is a forum and community to offer support and recovery for those afflicted with an eating disorder. It is not a place to encourage people to further their eating disorder. Please be cognizant of this and make MPA the support community it needs to be.

Photo

About Purging And The Calories Absorbed

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 zeroleft

zeroleft

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:04 PM

So, I just purged A LOT of food, like things i ate 3 days ago (not a lot actually, i dont eat that much in only 3 days anyway) and i was wondering if my body already absorbed the calories from these "old" foods and it was useless for me to purge them or if it was worth. I mean, how much time the body takes to absorb calories? Or whats the time maximum i should wait to purge after eating?

• FuegeVefguerb likes this

#2 Thienna

Thienna

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:09 PM

I've read that the body starts absorbing calories in the mouth.. I'd still say the purge was worth it though...
I've also read that the body starts digesting food after 1hr of eating... so maybe your body's digestive rate is extremely slowed due to your bulimia? I know my digestive rate has slowed down because of it.
it's a possibility!

• zeroleft likes this

mirror mirror on my wall... ruthless to your victim.

Canada

Bulimic

tumblr_mz3gq133Cc1soax2qo1_500.gif 

#3 SkinnehKitteh

SkinnehKitteh

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:02 AM

Calorie absorption doesn't begin in the mouth. It starts after your stomach has mulled it over and sends it to your intestines. It's only after food enters your intestines do the calories begin to absorb. Therefore, you can still purge after like 20-30 mins, but the more time you wait the more stomach acid will come up and taste absolutely horrid.
  • zeroleft, Meaty_Mena and xAngelofDeathx like this

#4 dyingwillow

dyingwillow

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:11 AM

Simple sugars are absorbed as soon as you've eaten them...hence why diabetics etc are given lollies when they have low insulin levels, it quickly picks them up again.

All foods have different digestion times, things like protein are obviously going to take longer to break down than say a piece of cake. So while you may have got rid of the remains of the food you ate 3 days ago your body will have already taken the energy from the food.

• zeroleft likes this

HW: 168lb 

CW: 114.8lb

LW:  98lb  

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is

the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,

"I will try again tommorrow." 

#5 Thienna

Thienna

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:38 AM

"Therefore, you can still purge after like 20-30 mins, but the more time you wait the more stomach acid will come up and taste absolutely horrid."

I think statements like this are really adjustable for different people... Purely depends on your body.

I can go up to two hours without purging after a binge, and I've never experienced 'absolutely horrid' stomach acid.

• zeroleft and xAngelofDeathx like this

mirror mirror on my wall... ruthless to your victim.

Canada

Bulimic

tumblr_mz3gq133Cc1soax2qo1_500.gif 

#6 Guest_AcidicBones_*

Guest_AcidicBones_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:50 AM

calories are absorbed in the small intestine - simple sugars take less time because they are smaller compounds thus need less time spent breaking them down and can be transferred to the small intestine from the stomach. While digestion starts in the mouth via breaking down using saliva (amylase) and chewing - there is NO calorie absorption. 

• zeroleft and xAngelofDeathx like this

#7 Juweria

Juweria

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:14 AM

calories are absorbed in the small intestine - simple sugars take less time because they are smaller compounds thus need less time spent breaking them down and can be transferred to the small intestine from the stomach. While digestion starts in the mouth via breaking down using saliva (amylase) and chewing - there is NO calorie absorption. 

YAYY!! I got my pass to chew and spit.. B)

• zeroleft and fleance like this

Life Is A Journey , Perfection Is My Lifestyle!

#8 ellipsisdream

ellipsisdream

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:54 AM

I do not know if it is true, but I have heard/read that when one is bulimic, that the body speeds up the digestive process to try to hold on to calories/fuel. I have also heard that the actual digestion starts in the small intestine- and at least know this part to be true.

I wonder about the digestion speed thing, though... anyone know?
  • zeroleft likes this

http://pathtoelli.wordpress.com/

If you are tired of starting over, stop giving up.

#9 zeroleft

zeroleft

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:20 AM

YAYY!! I got my pass to chew and spit.. B)

HAHAHA right!

#10 Guest_skynnyjennylynn111_*

Guest_skynnyjennylynn111_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:28 AM

I have read that calories are absorbed once the food is no longer in your stomach , but I've also read that the calories of the amount binged on and amount actually purged were recorded in an experiment with women who actually had bulimia, and the number of calories purged compared to the amount binged on was only 46%. which leads me to believe that they weren't purging everything, and they probably weren't using the "flushing" method like so many of us do. I still am very conflicted and would like to hear the truth with reliable proof if anyone knows!!!

• zeroleft and ellipsisdream like this

#11 Guest_AcidicBones_*

Guest_AcidicBones_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:51 AM

I do not know if it is true, but I have heard/read that when one is bulimic, that the body speeds up the digestive process to try to hold on to calories/fuel. I have also heard that the actual digestion starts in the small intestine- and at least know this part to be true.

I wonder about the digestion speed thing, though... anyone know?

It speeds up to use calories more efficiently but it doesn't hold on to it or store it as fat. If you're eating below your bmr then the calories you eat are going to fuel processes like the heart, breathing ect and any other energy it doesn't get from food it gets from your fat stores. If that's what you meant? :)x

• zeroleft, ellipsisdream and xAngelofDeathx like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users