PM issues

MPA is a forum and community to offer support and recovery for those afflicted with an eating disorder. It is not a place to encourage people to further their eating disorder. Please be cognizant of this and make MPA the support community it needs to be.

Long Term Fasting Advice? 30+ Days?

fasting water fasting 30 days 40 days

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_AwakeMySoul.._*

Guest_AwakeMySoul.._*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:56 AM

Hey, I've fasted before, but I'm thinking of doing a longer fast.

I just wondered if anybody knows whats the longest someone with a bmi of about 22 could fast for?

It would be predominantly water fasting, with occasional 'lucozade Revive' for electrolytes, and herbal teas etc.

If I felt ill I would eat half a banana slowly (like I have done in the past).

Also, I would exercise really lightly everyday, maybe some yoga and a slow walk. That sort of thing.

Any predictions for how much weight I would lose if I did this? I'd like to go at least 20 days but maybe up to 40.

Any advice/opinions? xx

• robbyh1 likes this

#2 robbyh1

robbyh1

Omniscient

• Supporter
  • 5,716 posts
  • LocationLondon, SE

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:38 AM

http://www.myproana....t-when-fasting/

Well, it seems like you are gonna be pretty sensible about it because you have already taken the 'electrolyte' issue into consideration.

But you also have to take into consideration the possibility of Re-feeding syndrome which poses a very real danger to anyone fasting for that long once they end their fast!

As an emergency - in case you faint DURING your fast due to iron depletion or start suffering any symptoms of electrolyte depletion, I would carry around a 'kit' consisting of the following POTENTIALLY LIFE-SAVING things wherever you go......

A portion of raisins/banana for potassium

or

HIGH FIVE ZERO effervescent electrolyte tablets

AND

Dessicated liver tablets should you need to quickly bring up your iron levels due to fainting episodes etc.

AND a little sodium!

PLEASE read the above link when you get time.

I will put in another link shortly to a post I made recently regarding the dangers of Re-feeding syndrome!

Best wishes

Robby

PS. It makes NO difference what your BMI is..........Folk can become depleted of NUTRIENTS, IRON AND ELECTROLYTES whatever their BMI is!

http://www.myproana....0672-refeeding/

tumblr_mhy0x8b3PB1r0cqvoo4_r2_250.gif

(MY) PROAna...................

PRO - meaning in favour of 

reason(s) favour of.

FAVOUR - liking, goodwill, partiality, kind or helpful act, SUPPORT.

:wub: Dragontears....Queen of MPA :wub: 

#3 Guest_AwakeMySoul.._*

Guest_AwakeMySoul.._*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:59 PM

Thankyou! This is really helpful. I will definitely create an emergency 'kit' as you suggested.

#4 Guest_AwakeMySoul.._*

Guest_AwakeMySoul.._*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:06 PM

So if I have the 'high five zero' tablets, would I need the liver tablets too or instead of? 

• robbyh1 likes this

#5 §Irish_Iris_Ballet§

§Irish_Iris_Ballet§

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts
  • LocationBlacksburg, VA, USA

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:24 PM

So if I have the 'high five zero' tablets, would I need the liver tablets too or instead of? 

The high five zero is for electrolytes. the liver tabs are for iron. so i would say yes, both

• robbyh1 likes this
HW: 195
LW:120
CW:158

Add me on MyFittnessPal: irishirisballet
6934978.png
            Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

#6 robbyh1

robbyh1

Omniscient

• Supporter
  • 5,716 posts
  • LocationLondon, SE

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:39 PM

TOO ! As well as electrolytes.

I can explain why liver tabs are best.......

Most multi-vits will have SOME iron in them.....Maybe MORE than the actual RDA. BUT the TYPE of Iron will be of 'NON-HAEM' type. Meaning 'not derived from blood'

This type is far LESS readily absorbed into your system. If the vit-pill bottle says 200% RDA, your body will only receive in reality about 50%! That is where the use of multi-vits is somewhat controversial - in how much is actually ABSORBED.

Dessicated liver tabs (although admittedly not everyone's 'cup of tea'!) contain a concentrated source of HAEM (blood-derived) iron which your body can effectively harness and USE immediately upon digestion. These tablets are broken down very quickly in the stomach as they are, in essence, a NATURAL foodstuff that has merely been purified and COMPRESSED into tablet form! 

They also contain an abundance of certain B-vitamins which are essential to enable us to burn our own body fat and process any carbs we eat. B-vits will also help us remain more alert and energetic during fasting as they enhance NATURALLY our ability to tap into our own fat stores for energy. So many people buy expensive fat-burning pills with swanky brand names when they would be better off buying a good B-complex vitamin instead. And NEARLY ALL fasters WILL GET DEFICIENT of B-vit (as well as others) fairly soon after they start fasting. I am absolutely SURE that this is one of the main reasons why so many heavy-restrictors/fasters complain about hitting 'plateaus' in their rate of weight loss. They are simply 'starving' themselves not only of calories, but also of the minerals, vitamins and trace elements the body needs to carry out every-day functions with the utmost efficiency - two of those functions being ENERGY RELEASE and FAT-BURNING ! This is why I feel so many folk complain of feeling sluggish and drained during fasting.

I'll find you some more links.

Watch this space!

http://www.myproana....min-supplement/

http://www.myproana....gbruising-help/

http://www.myproana....fee-for-energy/

Whilst some of these links may seem a little off-topic, they are all closely related in that they discuss the importance of electrolytes, Iron and B-vits also.

Happy reading. I hope I don't bore you to death !

tumblr_mhy0x8b3PB1r0cqvoo4_r2_250.gif

(MY) PROAna...................

PRO - meaning in favour of 

reason(s) favour of.

FAVOUR - liking, goodwill, partiality, kind or helpful act, SUPPORT.

:wub: Dragontears....Queen of MPA :wub: 

#7 Guest_AwakeMySoul.._*

Guest_AwakeMySoul.._*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:08 PM

Thankyou! I appreciate all the info. I've decided not to completely fast, this really helped :)

• robbyh1 and §Irish_Iris_Ballet§ like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fasting, water fasting, 30 days, 40 days

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users