About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Konjac Root?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CharlotteM

CharlotteM

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 09:29 AM

Has anybody here tried konjac root? As the weather grows colder and there's less daylight, I am distractingly hungry aaaalllll the time. This stuff supposedly helps you feel full and I'm wondering if it would help me. I've read everything from "it's great!" to "it's horrible / does nothing / gives you ferocious gas."

I'm hoping that by getting the hunger under control, I can keep my eating under control and maybe head off any binges that go along with the depression.

(I'm here on and off, but for reference F39, BED occurring as part of 15 years of depression/anxiety. Currently overweight but no longer obese thanks to getting the BED under control.)

Thank you!

#2 Guest_Dewonderland_*

Guest_Dewonderland_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2016 - 09:43 AM

Has anybody here tried konjac root? As the weather grows colder and there's less daylight, I am distractingly hungry aaaalllll the time. This stuff supposedly helps you feel full and I'm wondering if it would help me. I've read everything from "it's great!" to "it's horrible / does nothing / gives you ferocious gas."

I'm hoping that by getting the hunger under control, I can keep my eating under control and maybe head off any binges that go along with the depression.

(I'm here on and off, but for reference F39, BED occurring as part of 15 years of depression/anxiety. Currently overweight but no longer obese thanks to getting the BED under control.)

Thank you!

Hey there

I don't know how it looks like in your country.

In asia Konjac is super common and indeed quite famous to be a diet helper.
It's sold in plastic bags floating in ... water ?

There are two types. The brown and the very white/transparent one (all cleaned up)

So how it is :

- it super stinks. Each time I open a bag it stinks ! be ready ... but it's manageable really. Just stinky.

- but it has barely any taste and certainly doesn't taste bad. You can use it in a pasta sauce and do half pasta half konjac.
This is more the way it is use here. Like to mix with vegetables or pasta to make a bigger quantity.

- Calorie ... it's not really that it makes you feel fuller but it's super low calorie. It's 3 or 4 cal / 100g
It has a power to retain liquids so in that it makes you feel fuller. But I heard it's cut your appetites ... I think it is because it fills you up.

Oh ... and never try to freeze Konjac.
... I did and it went to the trash can because it was ... dead, ruined, unedible XD

#3 Guest_Botanicals_*

Guest_Botanicals_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2016 - 12:20 PM

Is that the same as shiritaki noodles?  I just did a quick websearch and it looks like it might be.

Shiritaki has a revolting texture.  I did eat them for a while, with a measured amount of pasta sauce and mushroom or tofu - the texture of mushroom or tofu helps divert the attention from the texture of the noodles.  Now I can't force myself to eat it and last time I bought them I freecycled them to get rid.

• snackcitybitch likes this

#4 Guest_Dewonderland_*

Guest_Dewonderland_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2016 - 05:59 AM

Yep,
It is the same.
♪( ´▽`)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users