About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

thoughts on nut butter?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 smosbol

smosbol

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 17 November 2016 - 08:17 AM

hi everyone!

what are your thoughts on nut butter? i prefer it homemade so i know exactly what's in it. i just made it with a mixture of mostly walnuts, almonds, a few cashews, raisins, shredded coconut and a tsp of raw cacao powder. if i count it all, i came upon like 445 cal per 100 gram. i just had a carrot dipped in the butter but i'm freaking out a bit because it's so delicious yet calorie dense. 

do you guys eat nut butter? if so, why and how much/frequently? do you compensate afterwards (eating less at the next meal i mean, not laxatives or purging)? i'd love to hear your thoughts!

• float like a feather and hunnykitty like this

“In the garden there was nothing which was not quite like themselves - nothing which did not understand the wonderfulness of what was happening to them - the immense, tender, terrible, heart-breaking beauty and solemnity of Eggs. If there had been one person in that garden who had not known through all his or her innermost being that if an Egg were taken away or hurt the whole world would whirl round and crash through space and come to an end... there could have been no happiness even in that golden springtime air.” (The Secret Garden)

#2 Ryeder

Ryeder

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts
  • LocationDreaming of Wine while in AA

Posted 17 November 2016 - 08:20 AM

Lol, I eat nutella but only if that's literally the only thing that I'm going to eat that day. If there is more that I need to do/eat/see that day, I avoid the fuck out of it. As for things like peanut butter, I don't really see the appeal all that much. I am interested in your recipe for whatever nut butter you make. That sounds awesome. 

Look at this smile. Is this the smile of someone sane? 

MPA's Local Drunk

MPA SW: 172

CW: Will Update In Accountability Eventually

#3 smosbol

smosbol

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 17 November 2016 - 08:37 AM

Lol, I eat nutella but only if that's literally the only thing that I'm going to eat that day. If there is more that I need to do/eat/see that day, I avoid the fuck out of it. As for things like peanut butter, I don't really see the appeal all that much. I am interested in your recipe for whatever nut butter you make. That sounds awesome. 

i made it with:

- 1/2 cup of walnuts

- 100-ish gr of trail mix (raisins, shredded coconut, peanuts, almonds)

- 2 or 3 tbsp of cashews (didn't measure it)

- 1 tsp of raw cacao powder 

then i put it all into a blender with some water. the whole mixture was 200-ish grams and the lot of calories 890, so 445 for 100 gram i guess.

• hunnykitty likes this

“In the garden there was nothing which was not quite like themselves - nothing which did not understand the wonderfulness of what was happening to them - the immense, tender, terrible, heart-breaking beauty and solemnity of Eggs. If there had been one person in that garden who had not known through all his or her innermost being that if an Egg were taken away or hurt the whole world would whirl round and crash through space and come to an end... there could have been no happiness even in that golden springtime air.” (The Secret Garden)

#4 Ryeder

Ryeder

Omniscient

• Members
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 08:41 AM

i made it with:

- 1/2 cup of walnuts

- 100-ish gr of trail mix (raisins, shredded coconut, peanuts, almonds)

- 2 or 3 tbsp of cashews (didn't measure it)

- 1 tsp of raw cacao powder 

then i put it all into a blender with some water. the whole mixture was 200-ish grams and the lot of calories 890, so 445 for 100 gram i guess.

Oh fuck, that's a LOT of calories... but it's all really healthy stuff. I'd probably substitute the cashews for a few more walnuts and trade in almonds. I'm not a big fan of cashews and almonds are hella healthy. 

Thank you so much for the recipe! What brand cacao powder do you use, love? This really sounds delicious and would be really good on Ezekiel bread or something. 

MPA's Local Drunk

#5 smosbol

smosbol

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 17 November 2016 - 08:55 AM

Oh fuck, that's a LOT of calories... but it's all really healthy stuff. I'd probably substitute the cashews for a few more walnuts and trade in almonds. I'm not a big fan of cashews and almonds are hella healthy. 

Thank you so much for the recipe! What brand cacao powder do you use, love? This really sounds delicious and would be really good on Ezekiel bread or something. 

i know...  :( that's why i'm freaking out, i had 2 tbsp of it today. i feel like crying, i don't know why. isn't the calorie density always the case with nut butters? i like them, but now i'm not sure it's worth it. what do you guys think?

i use a brand from a shop here in Belgium, so i guess you won't know it ;-).

#6 Ryeder

Ryeder

Omniscient

• Members
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 09:20 AM

i know...  :( that's why i'm freaking out, i had 2 tbsp of it today. i feel like crying, i don't know why. isn't the calorie density always the case with nut butters? i like them, but now i'm not sure it's worth it. what do you guys think?

i use a brand from a shop here in Belgium, so i guess you won't know it ;-).

Point haha

I don't think it's anything to freak out about. Just limit what you're having and you're going to be fine. When I have nut butters, I don't normally dip them with anything or I only have stupid healthy things with them. That way I can control it a bit better and the taste is so intense, I can't make myself eat much. 

MPA's Local Drunk

#7 smosbol

smosbol

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 17 November 2016 - 09:57 AM

Point haha

I don't think it's anything to freak out about. Just limit what you're having and you're going to be fine. When I have nut butters, I don't normally dip them with anything or I only have stupid healthy things with them. That way I can control it a bit better and the taste is so intense, I can't make myself eat much. 

you're right. i'm at 731 or so for the day in total so guess it's okay. i love taking it with carrots because it balances the sweetness out and i eat less :-).

#8 Ryeder

Ryeder

Omniscient

• Members
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 10:00 AM

you're right. i'm at 731 or so for the day in total so guess it's okay. i love taking it with carrots because it balances the sweetness out and i eat less :-).

You've eaten pretty much healthy foods, so you're getting your nutrients yes? Because that sounds like a very good amount. I think you've got this handled. Don't stress dearest. :-)

MPA's Local Drunk

#9 smosbol

smosbol

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 17 November 2016 - 10:41 AM

You've eaten pretty much healthy foods, so you're getting your nutrients yes? Because that sounds like a very good amount. I think you've got this handled. Don't stress dearest. :-)

yes, i only eat clean healthy foods. thank you for relativating me, honey!

#10 Ryeder

Ryeder

Omniscient

• Members
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 10:59 AM

yes, i only eat clean healthy foods. thank you for relativating me, honey!

Not a problem. Thank you for the recipe! 

MPA's Local Drunk

#11 Brian

Brian

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 17 November 2016 - 11:02 AM

Depending on what the ingredients are, nut butters can be a pretty healthy way to gain weight. They are calories dense with healthy fats. As for weight/fat loss, fuck no. 

#12 c0xalb0nes

c0xalb0nes

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationKuwait

Posted 17 November 2016 - 12:11 PM

love them but i can't have them. they are a fear food to me, i stopped buying them :(

LW: 35 kg  (77 lbs)    ~bmi  14

HW: 53 kg  (116 lbs)  ~bmi  21

CW:    40.6 kg   (89.5 lbs)   ~bmi 16.3

GW1:   42 kg     (92.5 lbs)  ~bmi 16.8 

GW2:   40 kg      (88 lbs)    ~bmi 16.0

UGW:   38 kg     (83.7 lbs)  ~bmi 15.2

height: 158 cm (5'2 ft)

#13 Savingsecrets

Savingsecrets

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 02:42 PM

I have like 30 grams of nut butters a day lmao
  • lavender* likes this

#14 iuile

iuile

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 03:37 PM

I stopped eating natural pb because of the mold on peanuts. That and I couldn't control myself and would eat an entire jar in day. I haven't tried almond butter, and at this point I don't think I will. One day I'm gonna throw caution to the wind and have a banana with peanut butter again. 

#15 Lukky

Lukky

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • 1,683 posts
  • LocationSouth Korea

Posted 17 November 2016 - 08:10 PM

I survived my share of nut butter binges... i can't do nuts in a healthy way. Just doesn't happen. Thankfully it has been a long time.
  • uglypig and jingles6 like this

#16 Skeletalspirits

Skeletalspirits

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 11:05 PM

I like to put pb in my oatmeal or on rice cakes if I'm feeling bingey. I only eat 1-2 tablespoons at a time so it obviously doesn't make me gain weight
  • jingles6 likes this

2cxia2e.jpg

#17 cloudykittens

cloudykittens

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 20 November 2016 - 05:07 PM

My favourite thing to have when I'm feeling like a treat.  Only problem is that it's so bingeworthy.  So I opt for PB2 instead. :P

"Nothing changes if NOTHING CHANGES."

Height: 5'5'

HW: 128lb

CW: 100lb

UGW: 90lb

#18 ohsosmall

ohsosmall

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 November 2016 - 05:55 PM

I love nutbutter and seed butter and it's been a hard thing for me to control...however I think I have reached a fair compromise where I only have it if it is an inredient in a homemade sauce or salad dressing.  It's been helpful.  And far better than me slathering it onto rice cakes or sweet potato toast and then crying later because of the overload and guilt....

lost, in a snow-filled sky, we'll make it alright, to come undone

#19 Guest_soy milk_*

Guest_soy milk_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2016 - 12:19 AM

your recipe sounds amazing, it's less calories than peanut butter too. uh, i love nut butter, i can't afford anything besides peanut butter and am way too scared and lazy to bother making my own. i use it in small amounts on toast/breads, with bananas, on oatmeal, etc. it's probably my favourite thing besides bananas lmao

#20 thicksweaters

thicksweaters

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • 1,383 posts
  • LocationCali

Posted 22 November 2016 - 10:34 PM

Honestly I'd just prefer the whole nuts. Easier to savor, more fun to eat.

• jingles6 likes this

please help me

~ recovering? ~

height: 5'8" CW: 107 lb BMI: 16.3

HW: 135 lb GW: ? lb UGW: recovery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users