About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

thoughts on nut butter?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 Emo Pepe

Emo Pepe

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:50 AM

I like nut butters as an easy source of protein to dip things into or to put in oatmeal, shakes etc. It's easy to have too much though. And I only eat the natural kind never the stuff mixed with extra oil or sugar

Cw: 121 lb

Bmi: 18.5

Spoiler

#42 Tessy

Tessy

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  • LocationThe cold mountains.

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:13 AM

Petrifies me. Especially because every damn time I try to have peanut butter in the house, I end up binging on it. 

• bitch tits likes this

5'4"

HW: 245 lbs

CW: 132 lbs

GW: 125 lbs

GW2: 120 lbs

GW3: 115 lbs

UGW: 110 lbs

Live. Love. Laugh. 

#43 Kindred.

Kindred.

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:23 AM

Empty cals

Gesendet von meinem Archos 40 Neon mit Tapatalk

"If it was so, it might be. If it were so, it would be. But as it isn't, it ain't."

aubrey-plaza-dragon-mask.gif

NE4Sp1E.jpg

m2n4Ogv.jpg

5'0, Raw Vegan, Fruitbased.

#44 The Silence Of The Lambs

The Silence Of The Lambs

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:39 AM

I love peanut butter

#45 Sophia90

Sophia90

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 11:17 AM

Even though I try to avoid them myself, I think eating nuts in their whole, raw, unprocessed form is the best. Soaking them beforehand is even better (it gets rid of phytic acid and it makes nutrients more available).

#46 WallyWoofer

WallyWoofer

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 14 February 2017 - 04:49 PM

Even though I try to avoid them myself, I think eating nuts in their whole, raw, unprocessed form is the best. Soaking them beforehand is even better (it gets rid of phytic acid and it makes nutrients more available).

You're absolutely right. But from an ED perspective it also makes the calories more available for your body to adsorb. wtf right?!? And its been shown that you absorb more calories from nut butter than an equivalent amount of whole nuts. That being said I am all about nut butter so I choose to ignore that 

11215577.png

Height: 5'4"

BMR: 1300

TDEE: 1500 (lazy)

HW: 185lbs / 84kg

CW: See ticker

GW: 130lbs / 59kg / 30% loss of body weight - Hit March 8 2017!!

#47 glittercrush

glittercrush

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 01:35 PM

I love peanut butter (Laura Scudder is my favorite and only brand I get). Actually, I only eat 1TBSP a day, and it's only 100 cals, so not terrible. 

Height: 5'2

SW: 125
CW: 116.2

UGW: 105

#48 Love347

Love347

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:19 AM

Too high calorie and too high carb. Sometimes there's added sugar.

If it weren't for those things, yes.

I will however, eat nuts.

Ugh I make no sense lol 😂

#49 Eizzy Anna

Eizzy Anna

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 15 March 2017 - 05:16 PM

I love PB2 ❤️

#50 tree_hugger

tree_hugger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:12 PM

I mean honestly there's so many processed nut butters with all sorts of hydrogenated oils and processed sugars added, it's sickening  :(

But I think that if you stick to making your own/buying the right kind it's a great source of energy for your diet. 

#51 Spiderlegs

Spiderlegs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 02:41 PM

I'm super addicted.to pumpkin seed butter, can't control myself around it. I'd like to try hazelnut or a fancy sounding one.like tigernut butter?

#52 Spiderlegs

Spiderlegs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 02:42 PM

You're absolutely right. But from an ED perspective it also makes the calories more available for your body to adsorb. wtf right?!? And its been shown that you absorb more calories from nut butter than an equivalent amount of whole nuts. That being said I am all about nut butter so I choose to ignore that

Can you link to an article?

#53 WallyWoofer

WallyWoofer

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 24 March 2017 - 02:57 PM

Can you link to an article?

oooh i wish i could but I saw it on a documentary. Gah I wish I could remember which one now but I've watched a bunch in the last month. But honestly I would take the info "with a grain of salt". For every scientific study proving something is healthy there is another one proving it is unhealthy lol

Edit: I found an article that I remember reading that got me started into looking into it...
http://joshmitteldor...from-your-food/

"Nuts and seeds are often rich in fat, so they register as high-calorie foods.  But they are harder to digest, and the body gets less from them.  Seeds that are unchewed go right through us.  In fact, many plants use animals to help disperse their seeds, and evolution has designed the seeds to survive digestion.  Most nuts are partially chewed, and some small pieces pass through undigested.  There is a big difference in available energy from eating peanuts and peanut butter, though the labels will list the identical calorie content."

11215577.png

Height: 5'4"

BMR: 1300

TDEE: 1500 (lazy)

HW: 185lbs / 84kg

CW: See ticker

GW: 130lbs / 59kg / 30% loss of body weight - Hit March 8 2017!!

#54 DancingAlice

DancingAlice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted Yesterday, 01:07 AM

Love it, but too calorie dense for when I'm in losing mode... but if I'm cool with my weight and just wanna be healthy I use almond butter in oatmeal and a chocolate seedy spread as a dessert kinda thing. But in general it freaks me out a bit. Only get the natural ones.

Height 164cm

SW: 59kgs (21.94 BMI)
CW: 52.7kgs (19.6 BMI)

GW1: 50kgs (18.6 BMI)
GW2: 48kgs (17.8 BMI)
UGW: 45kgs (16.7 BMI) <3

UG1: 43kg (16BMI)

Vegan.

Your focus becomes your reality.

gallery_151036_13559_7493.jpg

weight.png

#55 WarriorFairy

WarriorFairy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:41 AM

I just found one yesterday that also had a load of seeds (can't remember which seeds) mixed in. It also had no added sugar - and no added anything else, according to the label. I think when it's like that it's fine (in small doses!) but it was sat there right next to sugar and chemical ridden peanut butters and chocolate spreads, so you just gotta check the label.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users