About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

thoughts on nut butter?

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#61 TinyTabby

TinyTabby

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts
  • LocationWandering Through My Own Delusions

Posted 07 April 2017 - 05:34 PM

nut butter is amazeballs. I do sunflower and almond mostly bc they're readily available. I only do peanut butter in a dessert as I don't want to be having too mnay legumes.

Sometimes I find some amazing nut butter that tastes like walnut oatmeal cookies but somehow isn't that high cal(for nut butter, lol). I love Marshall's and T.J. Maxx for the foods you don't find other places. They had coconut chips waaay before grocery stores had them.

EDIT: Since I'm doing low carb/high fat, I don't compensate. It actually helps me to restrict because it's small but I still get enough energy. I usually do nut butter on apple or banana, but sometimes I just eat a spoonful.

#62 Guest_Erin Cecilia_*

Guest_Erin Cecilia_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2017 - 05:51 PM

I like nut-butters made from actual nuts (so not pea"nut" butter), that are unsalted and contain just nuts - I much prefer to add things myself  :)

#63 sprintergirl

sprintergirl

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,492 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 April 2017 - 07:41 PM

nut butter is everything. just wish it weren't so high calorie.

18 / vegan / scorpio / hopeless insomniac

5'9"

UGW: 95

Spoiler

Spoiler

#64 VeganVeg

VeganVeg

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 10:44 AM

I've been having the powdered nut butter. It's way less fat and way less calories and still satisfying

#65 Hope_unicorns

Hope_unicorns

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 10:29 AM

Tbh my obsession and favorite breakfast with toat either with honey or natural homemade jam.

#66 black coffee fairy

black coffee fairy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 09:02 PM

No they're usually full of additives and crap, besides whole nuts are much better for you.

CW:96.6 lbs

GW: 90.0 lbs

5'7

#67 cldoi

cldoi

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:08 AM

There's this nut/seed butter from Costco that I only indulge in very rarely, it's absolutely wonderful. It's a blend of cashews (my absolute favourite nut), almonds, hazelnuts, Brazil nuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, and chia seeds. It's so perfectly sweet with absolutely no sugar or salt added. Just pure nuts/seeds. SO GOOD.
  • mindgonewrong likes this

#68 Norma_Cenva

Norma_Cenva

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 03:41 PM

Almond butter is my absolute favorite. There is this Pret-a-Manger Acai Berries and Almond Butter breakfast bowl, that, when I am fortunate enough to get, it gives me energy for the whole day. 

#69 zeppelin.cries

zeppelin.cries

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:55 AM

During periods of relapse, nuts and nut butters were one of the first things to go. But since orthorexia is a symptom I've never really experienced before in my any of my previous iterations of relapses, I've tried to incorporate single-ingredient (no added salt, sugar, or oil) nut butters them into my diet more. Not so much of a "forbidden" food as it were. Because they have HEALTHY fats. 

But unfortunately, I still have problems with binges, though not nearly in the extremes I used to when it was just CICO restrictive. And nut butters are pretty bingeable for me, so I think I have to leave them out of my diet for good. :/

I WANT to eat them in moderation. I just know that that isn't feasible for me. I'm just not a moderator by nature, but rather an abstainer. And I need to make peace with the fact that that is who I am as a person. Been various levels of vegetarian for 8 years, so I don't see why that huge restrictive personality streak wouldn't pertain to other foods, too. 

H:5'6" HW:128 CW:98.8(15.9 BMI) LW:78.5(13.2 BMI) 

GW1:110 GW2:100 UGW:95(15.3 BMI) UUGW:74(12.0 BMI)

accountability

recipes with photos

tumblr_mmh255aAEg1rixetuo1_500.gif

#70 mindgonewrong

mindgonewrong

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:37 PM

Besides allergy (and added crap) whats wrong with peanut butter that so many are switching to others?

Like almond butter/ sunflower seed butter/ cashew butter never available when I was a kid not every major store has a few brands of each. Is it a fad? Or is there somthing im missing about peanuts?

Love it. Perfer powdered especially as a coffee additive! If I could get it w.o the sugar and salt that be better but I guess that would be peanut meal? Like almond meal used in gf baking idk..never saw peanut meal lol. Full fat stuff I drain the fat off the top to cut cals an it NEEDS celery I just dont like it with out thr Chrisp clean feeling balance to cut through the heaviness

#71 Rick Sanchez

Rick Sanchez

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • LocationGetting schwifty

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:34 AM

Besides allergy (and added crap) whats wrong with peanut butter that so many are switching to others?

Like almond butter/ sunflower seed butter/ cashew butter never available when I was a kid not every major store has a few brands of each. Is it a fad? Or is there somthing im missing about peanuts?

Love it. Perfer powdered especially as a coffee additive! If I could get it w.o the sugar and salt that be better but I guess that would be peanut meal? Like almond meal used in gf baking idk..never saw peanut meal lol. Full fat stuff I drain the fat off the top to cut cals an it NEEDS celery I just dont like it with out thr Chrisp clean feeling balance to cut through the heaviness

Many peanuts have a mold growing on them that is called aflatoxin, and is a potential carcinogen. This is a major reason many people switch from eating peanuts. It can be found in many other foods too, but for some reason peanuts have been singled out.

Anyways, to answer the OP. I love sunflower butter! And almond butter. I don't binge on nut butters so it's not an issue. I don't eat many nuts in their whole form because I don't like crunchy food and they're also kind of hard to digest (which makes sense, they're not supposed to be easy for humans to digest in general). I love chocolate hazelnut butter too but try not to buy it for obvious reasons lol

• mindgonewrong likes this

In recovery (?)

Female. Rock climber. Emergency medicine. 

Height: 5'7". HW: 145 lbs. LW: 115 lbs. CW: 133 lbs.

87b0b66b905087661c177a310c63f183.jpg

#72 HateMyself89

HateMyself89

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 20 May 2017 - 06:24 AM

I love them - normally have it as dessert. Me licking the table spoon again lol

height: 1.66 m | hw: 120 kg | lw: 38 kg | cw: 63 kg | gw4: 55 kg | ugw: 40 kg

De-fatting journey:

Spoiler

:wub: :P :P :P :wub:

Accountability: http://www.myproana....mal-to-perfect/

--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--

I'll be alright one day. Some day. Just not today.YOU broke me. Just for once, I want to be somebodies first choice.

Strength is nothing more than how well you hide the pain.

--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users