No Real Ana v Fake Ana discussions - General Announcements - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

No Real Ana v Fake Ana discussions

• Please log in to reply
783 replies to this topic

#1 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1035 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:33 AM

POPULAR

As part of our continued "No Judging" policy of this site, please do not post any threads related to discussing "Real Ana" v "Fake Ana" discussions (Wannarexic vs anorexic etc).

This also means no "Ana v EDNOS" discussions.

Why?

Because in one way or another it is a judgmental position to take.

As a community, we do not care if you are a "real ana" or a EDNOS, or if you just want to lose weight or if you're really confused and just stopping by. No one particular classification is better than any other classification. Whether you've been officially diagnosed for the last 20 years, or whether you just stumbled on this site, there is no judging one group over another.

What should I do if I see such a thread?

Hit the "report" link inside the thread. And please please please do not jump in and comment on the thread. Simply report it and move on. That way the thread poster does not  get attention and we will silently delete the thread.

• EmilytheSlayer, deleted, mydreamswillcometrue and 628 others like this

PSA: If you have an issue with any warning received from a moderator, messaging the Admin to fight or argue against the warning is not an ideal way to resolve any issue. The moderator team is not new here and have been delegated the responsibility of warnings and moderation of MPA. If you wish to discuss your warning, please message the moderator who sent you the warning or the entire moderating team to open a dialog. 

-Admin

#2 hikikomori

hikikomori

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:38 AM

POPULAR

a-freaking-men.
  • MeganRose, Lovely_Moments_, moomins and 168 others like this

#3 ThisLife16309

ThisLife16309

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts
  • Locationmichigan

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:42 AM

Thanks I hope people get it

• Lovely_Moments_, AnaMiasFailure, adollar and 15 others like this

ybV4m5.png mVCsm5.png

#4 CheapestThread

CheapestThread

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:14 PM

POPULAR

Oh my gosh this is so comforting to someone like me who probably isn't considered "real ana" because I could eat like a normal person every day of my life but deep down I hate every bit of food entering my body. I am thankful for this environment!

• SelfDestruction, Ganymede, eatingtoads and 300 others like this
Tumblr: missyamistillhere.tumblr.com

#5 Kuuipo420

Kuuipo420

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2135 posts
  • LocationKailua-Kona Hawaii

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:05 PM

POPULAR

Yes thanks for posting this. I think the whole Wannarexic vs Anorexic is a bunch of BS. I think the people who talk sh** about Wannarexic are not very intelligent and don't have enough info on the disease. Anyone who's BMI is low or are extreme dieting has eating disordered thinking. The only person a person with an eating disorder should take advice (if they want advice) should only take it from a Doctor not some troll running around Xanga or LJ. Who the he** are they to make medical diagnoses?

• LadyLinda420, Deadlyfairy, Hellorilliam and 79 others like this

Height: 5 Foot 3 Inches

SW: 180

CW: 84 Lbs (finally broke plateau)

BMI: 14.88 Weight With No Clothes On: 80 Lbs

GW: 70  I knew that was going to change when I hit 80 Lbs

2ufvm3b.jpg

mets_Always_Believe.gif

#6 lillyan

lillyan

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:54 PM

THANK YOU!!! Thank you so much for saying this! I often refer to one of the first posts that I saw when I joined this site. It made me feel like everything was okay and that I would really enjoy being here. :)

2. An all Inclusive community

Our site encompasses a wide range of members who may or may not be "pro-ana". The site is a welcome support community for those who are pro-ana, for those who are in or trying to recover, or for those who are looking for general weight loss. Please be sensitive to this fact and appreciate that we have members here all with different goals.

Just sayin.

• Holly Amzebala, Silencieuse, HereKittyKitty and 24 others like this

#7 firkiefunk

firkiefunk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:24 AM

this sounds awesome! makes your group sound more inviting then others i have joined  :D

• Margaery, littlelonelygirl, mynewfriend-ana and 8 others like this

#8 Guest_thinesia_*

Guest_thinesia_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:10 AM

Can someone clarify why there are three separate discussions on the disorders as if you need to be classified? (general pro ana, EDNOS, and general pro mia discussions?)

• bonbone, Embaleena, NotSoSweetTea and 8 others like this

#9 MEOW♥

MEOW♥

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:19 AM

Can someone clarify why there are three separate discussions on the disorders as if you need to be classified? (general pro ana, EDNOS, and general pro mia discussions?)

You do not have to necessarily be classified in order to post in one of these categories. I'm assuming you may not be diagnosed with and ED, but have ED tendencies? (I have not been diagnosed, but i do follow a 300 cal a day limit and have some Ana tendencies)...I personally post i the General Ana Discussions section because i feel as though my tendencies are more ana per-say. However, that does not mean you cannot post there. I think it is a way to organize some of the major categories for easy access on a specific topic...don't feel excluded, because clearly by this post by the admin, it is not their intentions! 

• PumaConcolor, Lith-e-um, Tiger and 24 others like this

Colby~20~USA

fQyedQRbfSPFC.gif

#10 Guest_Kallie9_*

Guest_Kallie9_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:20 AM

I think the separate forums are to make it easier for people to find information they're looking for. It's just different categories so the inflow of information isn't so fast and helps narrow the focus of each forum. If you're looking for information specific to bulimia, you can go to that forum instead of scrolling through many posts in an all encompassing forum. You're welcome to post in all or none.

• DefiantBones, edie, DaintyKlover and 4 others like this

#11 PlzMakeMeSkinny

PlzMakeMeSkinny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:23 AM

POPULAR

We all listen to Ana no matter if we are Ana or EDNOS.

• Ganymede, SuicidalAnaMia, Kuuipo420 and 50 others like this

#12 greenteaepidemic

greenteaepidemic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz, California

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:46 AM

This is so that people can find information related to a specific topic more easily. For example, if you had a question directly related to bulimia/bulimic tendencies (you needed purging tips or something), you could go to that section of the forums to more easily find what you were looking for. Or, you could post a question there, and someone who was knowledgeable about the topic would likely be searching the forum for questions to answer.
  • instantAnarchy, lapinblanc, extrasmalldreams and 1 other like this
HW: 195 lbs (September 2012)
CW: 144.7
UGW: 110
Height: 5'6"

#13 Anas_joy

Anas_joy

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:24 PM

Last night I stumbled on IMs where they were discussing this. I can not tell you how uncomfortable this feeling was. That is the second time I left the chat room for the feeling of being bullied or unsafe. The sad part I didn't even say a word. We all fight our life differently. I have never posted any judgment and I hope for the same. If someone wants to post other pictures its because they are not wanting to share the real them. That is fine. Some want that satisfaction some want to be in secret and if they do who am I to judge? At the end of the day no matter what you say. I know who I am and what I am doing in my life. I don't need your justification to make me successful. We all stuggle different.
  • methusalite, ghosties-and-ghoulies, CTB13 and 15 others like this

Height:  5.11

HW: 198.6

CW:121.5

LW:118.9

1GW: 172.3

2GW:162.2

3GW: 151.9

4GW: 140.2

5GW: 130.5

6GW: 119.3

GW: 112.5

UGW: 107.3

Dancing with the devil to excite my boring life. To survive you need food. Well F*** that. I guess I am not surviving then, I am just dying.

#14 methusalite

methusalite

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:53 AM

POPULAR

I'm really glad I found this community. It is the most open and welcoming online forum I have ever found. 

I'm a 3rd year medical student but I would love to become the unofficial doctor of this wonderful community, a place where people can turn to for questions about dieting, nutrition and exercise, from a fellow ANA, not someone who will quote you chapter and verse from the DSM5 and hand you info packets from the CDC. 

In fact I am surprised that so many ANAs subscribe to the idea that ana is an eating disorder at all.

Disorder means unhealthy and getting in the way of your life goals. If learning supreme self control to achieve a goal to get one's weight down to a BMI of 16-18, then that is not necessarily a disorder.

ANA diets, things like fasting are not a sustainable way of life, in the sense that no once can eat 500 calories forever and live. But if you use restriction and fasting to get to your goal weight and then gradually begin eating more, then you'll swing below your UGW and then require it. With proper nutrition, there is no reason that an ANA at her UGW can't have a long healthy happy life. 

The following is pure speculation on my part, forgive me if it sounds ignorant or offensive. 

I worry that many wonderful ANAs feel a self hatred about themselves when they fail to meet their immense goals. For example one girl on this forum attempted to a water fast for 20 days, 240 hrs, but broke after 140. She was upset with her self for only lasting 10 days. The day she broke her fast she jumped on a new fast right away and is going strong even as I write this. 

I am overjoyed at the self control, the extreme will power shown by the people on this site. You truly are all heroes and inspirations to me and I truly love you for your dedication to maintaining the bodies you want or working towards them.

But, I'd like to act as the unofficial cheerleader as well, someone to remind you how amazing you are.

I have an outsiders perspective, being morbidly obese myself but eager to live the ANA lifestyle, so my unique perspective, (plus that of a future doctor) allows me to see the glory in your "failures". When I see a person who works so hard to achieving physical perfection, fall off the horse, but then get right back on it. That is true beauty, inner strength and inspirational courage.

If you'll have me, I'd like to be someone who is here for medical advice and support, but mainly in the form of complements, richly earned and love deeply needed to be felt. 

• Hayden Christine, PumaConcolor, EvanescentBeauty and 84 others like this

HW 430lbs

SW 330lbs (52% body fat)

CW 306.6lbs became an ANA

CW 298.4lbs 

CW 294.6lbs (37.8% body fat)

GW1 (by mid june 2013) 290lbs (June 7)

CW: 288.4lbs

GW2 (by august 2013) 270 lbs

GW3 (by new year) 225 lbs

GW4 (easter 2014) 200 lbs

GW5 (mid year 2014) 175 lbs

UGW 150-155 lbs, (end of 2014, BMI 18.3) max muscle definition, minimal body fat

Competitions:

Hunger Games Week 1: -12.0lbs, -3.91%, survived

Hunger Games Week 2: -4 lbs -1.36%, survived

Hunger Games Week 3: -5 lbs -1.7% survived

Hunger Games Week 4: pending

June 14 lbs challenge

25 lbs (or lighter!) by September

June Fasting Challenge

June Junk Food Challenge

Knockout Challenge

3 Month Biggest Loser Challenge

Fasts since becoming ANA:

#1: 24hrs

#2: 1 day 21hrs

#3: 6 days 5 hrs 31 min

#4 2 days 11 hrs

#5 5 days 3 hrs

#6 2 days 

#7 2 days 3 hrs

#8 1 day 6 hrs 30 min

#9 28.5 hrs

#10 34 hrs

#15 starshine

starshine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:34 AM

Came across another 'pro ana' site last night, so horrible. Administrators deleting accounts left right & centre for new people not meeting strict requirements. Deleted my account today. Haven't got time for people like that.

myproana.com is the best & I love it. Hope all of those poor souls find us and comfort here.

xxx

• EvanescentBeauty, Anas_joy, edie and 19 others like this
xxx Love will find me one day xxx.5ft 5 (166cm)HW 182 lbs (with a 12lb baby)LW : 122 lbsSW : 147lbsCW : 147lbsGW1: 140lbsGW2: 135lbsGW3: 130lbs<p>UGW: 120lbs

#16 edie

edie

Sage

• Supporter
  • 945 posts
  • LocationSouth France

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:46 PM

Last night I stumbled on IMs where they were discussing this. I can not tell you how uncomfortable this feeling was. That is the second time I left the chat room for the feeling of being bullied or unsafe. The sad part I didn't even say a word. We all fight our life differently. I have never posted any judgment and I hope for the same. If someone wants to post other pictures its because they are not wanting to share the real them. That is fine. Some want that satisfaction some want to be in secret and if they do who am I to judge? At the end of the day no matter what you say. I know who I am and what I am doing in my life. I don't need your justification to make me successful. We all stuggle different.

Dont judge everyone by the people in the chat. I have never been chatting, but have read many old site members complaints about people who only use the chat in the site, nothing else and they always are bullying others.

• Anas_joy, sickofthisfatbody, HauntedAlias and 3 others like this

signaturey

#17 Little Dove

Little Dove

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:28 PM

THANK YOU!

This makes me so much more comfortable about being here - I deal with COE so many members might find me a faker, but I hate food, I hate my body. I was nearly in tears this afternoone because I thought I hadn't eatten since 8pm - but I forgot I asked my husband for a bowl of cereal and I was so pissed at myself for eating it. That is constantly what I'm going through and I don't need anybody to call me a faker on top of my COE.

• edie, HauntedAlias, Mouse1998 and 2 others like this

8548b837.gif

Current weight: 240 lbs

240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 ... keep going!

1st Goal- 230 lbs

6/19/14

Dream Goal: 160 lbs

#18 Emjay

Emjay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:43 AM

Here here Anas_joy
  • emotionalknapsack, Mouse1998 and k1tty.baby like this

#19 PerfectDefect

PerfectDefect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:28 AM

I hate those fights... :P so annoying

• helpmeshrink likes this

#20 incredible_shrinking_grrl

incredible_shrinking_grrl

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1780 posts
  • LocationChicago (frmly MI & DC)

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:49 PM

I know I am going to like it here.

I don't fit the DSM criteria for ana, but everyone with an ED hears the same voice in their head I think, it's all the same obsession.  My weight has been up and down from 103 to 192 for fifteen years.  I got weight loss surgery in January to end my binging once and for all because purging was not keeping my weight down anymore.  It was the best decision I've ever made.  I had to go to mexico for the operation because most American docs won't operate if your BMI isn't 35 or higher but in mexico if you have the money they will do it.  Now no one ever bothers me about what or how much I eat.  If weight loss surgery can get a 600 lb person down to 150 with no will power or exercise, imagine what it can do for someone who would really do ANYTHING to be skinny!

if anyone has questions or experiences with surgery I would love to talk

• SelfDestruction, willbeskinnyskinny, writeherthin and 18 others like this

35 yo, EDNOS

friend me on MFP, incredible_shrinking_grrl

Haven't had a decent meal

My brain is fried

Haven't slept a week for real

My tongue is tied

Lightbulbs are getting dim

My interests are starting to wane

I'm told it's everything a man could want

And I shouldn't complain