Success? You call this success? - Page 2 - WeightWatchers - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Success? You call this success?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_TinySeal_*

Guest_TinySeal_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:57 PM

Weight watchers is pretty much for the obese...you won't lose significantly (or at all really...hell, you might even gain!) if you are not obese or pretty overweight to begin with.

Also 12 lbs in 12 months...0.23 lb per week

Yeah

#22 LMNJ

LMNJ

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4987 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:41 AM

Hi! I joined this board for this topic. I really appreciate the comments from the topic starter and those who response.  This is my first post on this board/forum.  Hello!  :)  

I've been doing WW since last October and haven't lost much weight, or at least not as much as I wanted or hoped for, especially now that spring is here and I still can't fit into my cute spring/summer cloths.  I also wonder about this cycle of indulgences and a point is a point type of rationality. I've found myself trying to cheat the system and hence, the lack of loss, or really slow loss. There are women in the meeting room who are on lifetime and yet they appear to still be a bit overweight. 

I don't know your ages, but I am probably an older poster (age 47) though I am young at heart and look years younger. I have dieted all my life, been at a great weight, been obese, up and down and back again. I am currently going through "the changes" which creates a hormone imbalance. The weight (and fat) goes on the mid-section very easily and does not want to come off. I have no answers.  I do exercise.  Two years ago I managed to hit a good low weight of 119-120 and I was rather pleased with how I looked. Not perfect, but pretty good!  Later that year I Was diagnosed with low blood sugar and I went into a rage of hunger - I am always hungry. But as I have noticed with the responses here, you really have to reduce your calories to at least under 1200 a day if you want results and to keep that weight off. I know with WW I am eating a lot more. It's just not working.  So, this week I am trying to revisit what worked for me in 2012 that got me to that point and I am trying to adjust to less food. It's tough, but I want to see results and get this weight off. I am currently unhappy about my weight and how my appearance is and do want to change it.  Thank you for listening.  :)

• sunny0811, Faithfull, myaddicere and 1 other like this

Don't get stuck in the paralysis of perfection. 

Seeking the ultimate freedom from binge-eating.

CW = 138 (5/24)  //  138.5 (5/23)  //  140 (5/13)   //   141 (5/12)  //   SW=143 (5/7)    //   UGW = 115

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I am  5'2 1/2"  //  51 years young  //   2nd Degree Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do //  HWE = 191 (1998)

#23 thedailystruggle

thedailystruggle

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 12:13 PM

Woah that is a perfect sentence, I am totally stealing that.

THIS

GW: 80 UGW: 0

#24 sunny0811

sunny0811

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:54 PM

I'm at my lowest weight of 118 lbs, and some of the ww receptionists treat me as though I have anorexia. I had to get a doctor's note so I won't get yelled at. You'd think these women would be happy for me. I have a health issue, and I tell you it's not a problem anymore.
CW: 119, BMI: 20.4
UW: 115

"You're only as big as the dream you dare to live"

#25 LMNJ

LMNJ

Omniscient

• Members
  • 4987 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:23 AM

I'm at my lowest weight of 118 lbs, and some of the ww receptionists treat me as though I have anorexia. I had to get a doctor's note so I won't get yelled at. You'd think these women would be happy for me. I have a health issue, and I tell you it's not a problem anymore.

And doesn't it look like some of the receptionists could easily take off a good 5-7 lbs themselves? LOL!

CW = 138 (5/24)  //  138.5 (5/23)  //  140 (5/13)   //   141 (5/12)  //   SW=143 (5/7)    //   UGW = 115

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I am  5'2 1/2"  //  51 years young  //   2nd Degree Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do //  HWE = 191 (1998)

#26 sunny0811

sunny0811

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 01 June 2014 - 11:37 AM

And doesn't it look like some of the receptionists could easily take off a good 5-7 lbs themselves? LOL!

I know, right? Some of them look like they may need to bump up the excercise! I just think if you're going to work at WW, you need to be the best physical you. I also got weighed the other day. I'm at 116.8. That's a BMI of 19.20, right at the border. They had to put another note I'm the system about me.

#27 sunny0811

sunny0811

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 01 June 2014 - 11:38 AM

Oh, I also got my time of month too. At least I don't look and feel like a heafer.

#28 Zoebean

Zoebean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh

Posted 18 June 2014 - 01:08 PM

Omg It's so interesting because I had an awful experience with Weight Watchers Online but it was a bit different.

I started in around 140 which got me the minimum amount of points per day. Just the whole way the system was set up for me, Weight Watchers ended up being the biggest trigger of all attempts at healthy weight loss I've ever tried!

First of all, my warped mindset has always been that to lose weight, I have to be eating less than people eating healthily. When WW gave me points for a day, I thought, "Ok, I need to eat less than these. I can't hit the limit and I certainly can't eat the extra!" If I did end up passing my limit or, God forbid, using my extra cheat points, the guilt was IMMENSE. I then felt like i had to eat even less the next day. 

On top of that, I don't know how they calculate points but a real fruit smoothie from mcdonalds (I know it's only fruit puree. I worked there) that was a little over 100 calories would be worth like 11 out of my 26 allotted points but an egg was 1 point. I ate a 6 inch from subway one day and that ended up being almost all my points in and of itself. The issue here wasn't so much that I was then out of points but WW was starting to sound like my ed, "You ate a WHOLE 6 INCH! Well, guess who's done eating for the day!" or "a 100 calorie smoothie! WOW, ya fatty!" So needless to say, supposedly healthy things, once again, freaked me out.

This diet was the first time I entered a b/p cycle in my life.

The worst part, online WW doesn't know you're being unhealthy. I didn't realize if you paid for online, you couldn't go to meetings. When I lost 7 pounds in the first week and 5 the next, the online tracker congratulated me and encouraged me to lose even more. I understand after reading all this here that WW just wants the numbers....which pisses me off anymore.

Needless to say, I got off that diet..I could lose even more weight for free AND manage my guilt without WW exasperating it

^^ Basically this.

I did WW for 6 months and it was the biggest waste of money. At first she refused to let me join, but I pointed out that I fit the minimum joining requirements and she reluctantly let me. The woman running it looked ill, and I suspect she may have been cheating the WW point system too. 

The things that made me freak out was first a woman sighing and saying 'I don't know how I'm going to manage on 36 points for the rest of my life'. And the second was my friend who I joined with, we lived together in a flat share type thing and she was constantly on my back. 'What have you eaten today' 'How many points do you have left'.

Once she burst into my room, no joke, at 11pmish and handed me a bowl of porridge because I'd only eaten 24 points not 26. Turns out she'd been going through my food diary thing they make you keep. 

I felt rebellious, and I wasn't in control. They try to give you products that are lower point alternatives, but they're loaded with chemicals... making money from people who are desperate for a cure and they don't even know the cause of their over eating issues is half the time. It's a cycle they promise you can break, but in reality they don't expect you to succeed. Just keep re-joining because you've lost a few lbs with them before, you can do it again... but this time it will be different. Blablabla.

And yeah, I felt SO guilty for eating foods that were over 6 points. Didn't matter if it was a 6 inch sub, or a jacket potato. I just felt so guilty. It wasn't healthy for me. Besides, counting points, counting calories... I wanted to avoid calorie counting as I used to be so obsessed. The point counting was just as bad. :-(

• AngelikaFeather likes this

Kawaii-World-image-kawaii-world-E2-99-A5thumb.giftumblr_inline_n6raw8rP4R1s0khro.giftumblr_n1kgioII141sgijyeo1_500.gif

Current Measurements:   

C: 32 W: 28 H: 35.5 T:22

Highest " ":

C: 36 W: 31 H: 37 T:23

Goal " ":    

C: 30 W:25 H: 32  T:18

#29 antigone

antigone

Omniscient

• Members
  • 5964 posts
  • LocationGlitter Planet

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:05 AM

This is really interesting as my adopted parent is making a return to Weight Watchers. I've always wondered what their system was like, considering I'd never actually seen her lose any weight at all. Ever. She's out of town for the summer, so I'll see her when she gets back... and I don't think that she'll be any smaller than when she left a month ago. I really would prefer that she not waste her money on this again...

Etiquette Knowledge: http://www.emilypost.com/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whilst you are certainly entitled to express your opinion, keep in mind that your authority in the matter might be nonexistent. 

Good luck, kiddos. Try not to die. Recovery was a b*tch. I'm not going back.

The beauty of falling so far from grace.

I like pretending to be myself.

Hiding in the light.

Resurrect.

Dollish.

#30 DollyAna

DollyAna

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:17 PM

Thank you so much for this post. I really enjoyed reading it and remembering my own WW experiences. I have joined and followed (or attempted follow) WW programme 3 times. 

1. The first time I didn't stick the the plan at all. I didn't want to, I just wanted the motivation of the weekly meetings and weigh-ins while I did my own thing. I didn't stay for the discussion part. 
  2. The second time, several years later, I followed the plan perfectly. I was a little overweight to start with, and over the course of 3 months I lost 8-10lbs. I was happy with that. I wanted to lose a further 6 lbs to put me in the middle-ish area of my healthy BMI range since I was already in the top end of healthy after the 10lb weight loss (BMI was about 24.5). Could I lose any more weight? NO I COULD NOT!! I followed the plan perfectly. Didn't cheat a bit. Completely stuck and frustrated. The group leader's response: "just put yourself at goal so you become a gold member [maintainer] and you don't have to pay anymore". No thanks. I didn't come back.
  3. ... Until 3-4 months later when I had regained half of what I had lost. I returned feeling motivated to power through at that first meeting. But obviously not motivated enough because despite paying for a month's membership up front I didn't return. 

Let's face it, the WW programme is designed to fail. Adding the social club "discussion meeting" ensures people who like sympathy for their food issues "members" return after a failure. After all there's no real motivation, just a soft touch from leaders where there often needs to be tough love.

I admit, the discussion group element was my favourite bit. I should have been able to speak with authority because I was one of the few members that was actually being successful, but I didn't make any friends there because I wasn't perceived as being fat enough to understand how prejudice this fattist world is towards fatties, and my success obviously meant that I had no idea of what living with a poor metabolism/thyroid problem/PCOS/hormone imbalance/[insert other excuse here], that means one can *never* lose any weight no matter what, must be like. Lots of these poor victims became fat because they took to comfort eating because they were bullied by society for being fat. Mmmmmm. Not that I am not unsympathetic when it comes to body image issues but with logic like: "well, it was my child's birthday party and there was lots of leftover food so I just ate it all in one sitting so that it would all be gone and there'd be no temptation to eat it" How does one expect to not gain weight, let alone lose it?! 

They're "slimmers" like you (except you're probably more successful at it than them). They act as receptionists/helpers in return for a free weigh-in. At least here in UK they do. :)

• LMNJ likes this

OUT OF HOSPITAL. (BEEN OUT OVER 3 YEARs NOW) IN A SUPPORTED HOUSING SHIT-HOLE NORMAL FLAT. NOT ALLOWED SCALES (BUT DAREN'T WEIGH RIGHT NOW).

I'M DREADING FINDING OUT HOW MUCH I WEIGH) πŸ˜±. BMI NOW MUST BE ABOUT 24

1LB OF FAT!!

πŸ‘†THAT IS  ONE POUND OF FAT. YES, REALLY.

#31 Ediskrad

Ediskrad

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:34 PM

I suppose I am also manipulating the system a bit. I started kind of shitty by signing up in the evening which meant that my starting weight was too high by a few pounds but I couldn't stand waiting. So my first log in was 145. My next check in was 141.8. From there I dropped to 140.4, 138.4, and then 136.8. For some reason, this earned me a special little note to slow down. Probably that first week throwing me off but still, even if you average it out, I've lost 2.05 pounds a week on average. The message said that losing more than 2 pounds a week on average for 4+ weeks puts me at risk for all these health problems and I'm like...really? No it doesn't... And when I searched their user forums, I noticed that a lot of women about my height were aiming to weigh what I weigh now. Almost no one had a goal in the 130s let alone the 120s so I began to worry that the program wouldn't help someone like me. So I alternate between eating "normally" and restricting with the occasional binge. It seems to keep my weight going in a general downward direction.

181 147 141 140 138.4 136.8  -------------> 125?

#32 ThinIsIn120

ThinIsIn120

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:11 PM

I lost about 20 lbs following the program to a tee, eating my dailys & weekly points BUT it was the OLD program, momentum, which stopped being supported when this new one came out about 4 years ago-ish. I counted calories & points for a while just to see & many days I was eating 900 to 1100 calories.

I think the old program was alright, I had success on it as well. The new one is crap, and I don't know very many people who have had success on it.

Height: 5'6"      HW: 180 (gross!)     LW: 120     SW: 159lbs      GW: 155lbs       2ndGW: 150lbs       3rdGW: 145lbs     GW: 140lbs    UGW: 135lbs

Start weight: 159lbs 4/21/15

159  158 157 156 155 154 153 152 151 150  149  148  147  146  145   144  143   142  141  140  139  138  137  136  135

gallery_27378_7693_60994.jpg

#33 StarvingBeauty<3

StarvingBeauty<3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 01:12 PM

I never believed in WW and this is the proof. The may have some great products (the cheese or especially the butter) but that's it. The whole point system is fucked up. If you wanna lose weight you simply can't eat muffins or that shit ! -.-

• LMNJ likes this

#34 fancypantses

fancypantses

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 01:50 PM

Maybe WW isn't for everyone. 

It certainly isn't for me.

I was at 34 BMI when I joined WW.  Scales budged maybe 8 lbs in 5 years.

WW is a good start, maybe, but not for long-term.

I keep seeing people from the meetings I went to, years later, who look exactly the same.

Might be my imagination, but it seems to me they are so soft-sell that they are afraid to encourage people to just DO IT.

Dinner is the least important meal of the day.

#35 LMNJ

LMNJ

Omniscient

• Members
  • 4987 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 17 December 2014 - 09:03 PM

They keep people "needy" and they pat them on the back and say "it's OK - life gets in the way and you will take it off next week" and so on. There's 1 girl in the room who looks the same as she did when I first joined last October 2013. Just as fat as ever. I lost the weight (by finally NOT counting points) and then some and feel great. But their plan is designed for very slow loss and not much success. Their products keep you fat. You can not consume all those processed foods, white flour, fake sugar and chemical filled foods and expect weight loss or a flat stomach. It won't happen. You need to cut all that out of the diet and only allow on special occasions and small portions at that.

#36 Bananasaurus

Bananasaurus

Omniscient

• Members
  • 8158 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 04:15 AM

WW is a stupid program, especially the revamped program, where they have made vegetables and fruits count as 0 points.

Has anyone seen in their new commercial, set to "if you're happy and you know it, clap your hands"? When I first saw it, and found out that it was a weight watchers commercial at the end, I was speechless.
  • AngelikaFeather likes this
🍌

#37 LMNJ

LMNJ

Omniscient

• Members
  • 4987 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 20 December 2014 - 12:22 PM

WW is a stupid program, especially the revamped program, where they have made vegetables and fruits count as 0 points.

Has anyone seen in their new commercial, set to "if you're happy and you know it, clap your hands"? When I first saw it, and found out that it was a weight watchers commercial at the end, I was speechless.

I haven't read the new materials for the 2015 program. I'm on Lifetime member status and I achieved that by really doing my own thing The new commercial really reaches to those who use food as comfort for any emotion that they are feeling. I have to believe a lot of people comfort or emotional eat and make bad choices on a consistent basis. I like the commercial.  Like I said, I have the new booklet but have not read it yet.

#38 Thininside87

Thininside87

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationGibraltar

Posted 12 January 2015 - 02:26 PM

Hi, I've just joined this board, and this caught my eye.. I've been doing ww for a couple of weeks, until now I always thought it didn't sound very effective, but I decided to give it a go, as my mum swears by it (even though she's lost very little weight) but I thought maybe we could help each other. I've been sticking to about half of the recommended points for the past couple of weeks, and I've lost 10lb, but what I don't get about it, is all fruit and most veg are 0 points... He is that right?? All fruits have Cals so if I eat a shit load of fruit I'm still gonna gain... I'm getting a bit confused by it, and the weight loss does seem to be slowing now. So I think I'm just gonna go it alone and stuff ww!
Looking for buddies, feel free to add me :) kik : mandyloup87

weight.png

#39 LMNJ

LMNJ

Omniscient

• Members
  • 4987 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 13 January 2015 - 05:15 PM

Hi, I've just joined this board, and this caught my eye.. I've been doing ww for a couple of weeks, until now I always thought it didn't sound very effective, but I decided to give it a go, as my mum swears by it (even though she's lost very little weight) but I thought maybe we could help each other. I've been sticking to about half of the recommended points for the past couple of weeks, and I've lost 10lb, but what I don't get about it, is all fruit and most veg are 0 points... He is that right?? All fruits have Cals so if I eat a shit load of fruit I'm still gonna gain... I'm getting a bit confused by it, and the weight loss does seem to be slowing now. So I think I'm just gonna go it alone and stuff ww!

I am still on WW and at lifetime status. I only got to goal weight by not counting points and counting calories. And by slashing those points/calories. The program is a good one but it is designed for very slow weight loss. (This is so they can take your money.)  Not all fruits are 0 points - avocados have a point value.  I live by the 2 fruits a day - then count any other fruit as points. Tropical fruits are high in calories so I wouldn't eat a lot of those and in abundance. There are a lot of "power foods" that you can still gain weight on if you do not watch your serving or portion control it.  Once I gave up eating out of the grain section (brown rice, oat bran, whole wheat pasta and cous cous - etc) and gave up a lot of dairy, the weight fell off.  I eat a lot of fish as well and a lot of raw vegetables.

Good luck with WW!

#40 Thininside87

Thininside87

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationGibraltar

Posted 13 January 2015 - 05:54 PM

I am still on WW and at lifetime status. I only got to goal weight by not counting points and counting calories. And by slashing those points/calories. The program is a good one but it is designed for very slow weight loss. (This is so they can take your money.) Not all fruits are 0 points - avocados have a point value. I live by the 2 fruits a day - then count any other fruit as points. Tropical fruits are high in calories so I wouldn't eat a lot of those and in abundance. There are a lot of "power foods" that you can still gain weight on if you do not watch your serving or portion control it. Once I gave up eating out of the grain section (brown rice, oat bran, whole wheat pasta and cous cous - etc) and gave up a lot of dairy, the weight fell off. I eat a lot of fish as well and a lot of raw vegetables.

Good luck with WW!

Hey thanks, yeah I only started really counting fruits today, ive got a second cal counter now which I add up the fruit on, and ive basically doubled my cals from fruit! Ugh I had no idea how many I was eating in fruit before, so now I'm gonna limit to maybe 2 low cal fruits a day. Even though I only had 8 points today, with the fruit cals on top it makes like 800 cals! I don't want to be eating that much. Thanks for the tip about exotic fruits, I didn't know they contained more. :)
Looking for buddies, feel free to add me :) kik : mandyloup87

weight.png

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

By MercurialVenus in Isafeye's Blog, on 09 October 2014 - 09:22 PM

Source: Success? You call this success?

Read Full Entry →

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users