Success? You call this success? - Page 3 - WeightWatchers - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Success? You call this success?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#41 LMNJ

LMNJ

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4987 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 13 January 2015 - 10:49 PM

Hey thanks, yeah I only started really counting fruits today, ive got a second cal counter now which I add up the fruit on, and ive basically doubled my cals from fruit! Ugh I had no idea how many I was eating in fruit before, so now I'm gonna limit to maybe 2 low cal fruits a day. Even though I only had 8 points today, with the fruit cals on top it makes like 800 cals! I don't want to be eating that much. Thanks for the tip about exotic fruits, I didn't know they contained more. :)

Hi again.  Tropical fruits are high in sugar and calories. Grapefruits, oranges, apples - those kinds of fruits are harmless. I eat those every day and treat myself to a banana every now and then.  Calories from fruit isn't a bad thing at all, but with WW and the "power food" and "0 point" concept, it is so easy to eat like 4 bananas in a day and then wonder why you are not losing weight. Did you read all the posts here in the WW category.  If not - read this one:

http://www.myproana....l-this-success/   Read the first post by Fearless Kate. She never came back but I loved that post and it made a lot of sense to me. And that is when I cut points and calories and achieved success. Fast. And I've been able to keep the weight off as well.

The link in my signature line is a group effort - you are most welcome to join us in losing those last few pounds and in getting off that dreaded plateau. We are a small group and give support and care each day.

Don't get stuck in the paralysis of perfection. 

Seeking the ultimate freedom from binge-eating.

CW = 138 (5/24)  //  138.5 (5/23)  //  140 (5/13)   //   141 (5/12)  //   SW=143 (5/7)    //   UGW = 115

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I am  5'2 1/2"  //  51 years young  //   2nd Degree Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do //  HWE = 191 (1998)

#42 FearlessKatie

FearlessKatie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 02:45 AM

Hi again everyone! I'm the original writer of this post.  Left MPA for a little while, but I'm glad to be back.

My WW adventure continues:

During 2014, my weight plateaued at about 168 pounds, which was a 115-pound loss from my maximum weight.  It seems as if my body had reached its limit for weight loss, at least while eating healthy and not starving.  I am a saggy mess despite ample exercise and quite a bit of overpriced body creams.  My physician tells me that I could have a tummy tuck, which would definitely result in my being less than 150 pounds and achieving a normal BMI at last.  I've decided to forego the surgery for now, for one basic (and very happy) reason...

...My original purpose in losing weight and getting my BED under control was because my husband had been laid off from work, and I needed to get my lupus into remission and start bringing in some income myself.  Eating VERY healthy and restricting to 1200 calories or less has always resulted in a near-instantaneous remission (though I could never avoid bingeing for very long, therefore never being in remission for very long either!).  When I started Weight Watchers in 2012, I had immediate remission as soon as I got my daily consumption below 26 points (approximately 1000 calories, not including the "free" fruit and vegetables).

But as time passed, both the remission and the weight loss stopped, despite following the plan strictly.  I learned that I had better results in both areas, if I avoided grain and sugar products.  In June 2014, at 174 pounds, I was finally well enough to achieve a lifetime dream and open my own body-care shop at an upscale local marketplace.  Two years earlier, they were recommending hospice care because at 283 pounds and with lupus-related multiple organ failure, I was expected to die within a few months at most.  Finally getting my BED under control led to remission, regeneration of my body, and a fairly normal life.  I felt (and continue to feel) like I've suddenly been turned into a fairy princess...how can this actually happen in real life?

After a few months in my store (doing 12-hour days because I can't afford to hire any employees yet), I noticed that I was getting physically fragile and that my body wasn't losing weight anymore.  I was stuck at 168 and felt almost as bad as I did with active lupus. A friend who had undergone bariatric surgery figured out the problem -- I wasn't getting enough protein.  For some reason, I believed that 30 grams of protein was enough.  She pointed out that she was supposed to eat 70 grams per day, and suggested that since I was on a calorie-restricted diet, I might want to do the same.

I started using the same protein powder that her doctor had recommended for her: Unjury.  Very low-carb, fat-free, and generally a fairly low-calorie way to get protein that doesn't taste TOO bad.

This was the final key which enabled me to feel healthy and begin to lose weight again.  It was also helpful that when I stopped going to Weight Watchers meetings (telling my hubby that I was just too busy and there were no meetings accessible because of my extra store hours during the holiday season of 2014), I was finally under his radar about the whole restricting thing!  I broke thru the plateau and reached 165 pounds in January.  

I don't binge eat anymore.  A combination of good nutritional planning and a stubborn desire to stay healthy enough to continue as a shop owner have helped me to let go of the old habits that brought me to 283 pounds and 30 years of active lupus.

I still use WW points instead of calories to measure my daily consumption.  They are helpful because they penalize fat and grain calories and reward fiber and protein.  I focus on getting my 26 points, 70 grams of protein, and being well-hydrated and eating whole unprocessed foods.  Like several people have mentioned here, I can overdo it with fruit and vegetables, so I eat no less than 5 and no more than 9 servings per day.  I eat one serving of whole grains per day, and avoid all flour and sugar products.  

Experience has shown me that sugar will bring my lupus out of remission every time.  As little as one cookie can cause pericarditis and severe joint pain, which lasts for about 72 hours after my dietary indiscretion.  My little shop is located in a mini-mall of mostly food stores and restaurants.  I have to pack my own food every day, but watching all the obese people riding their scooters and carrying oxygen tanks reminds me that if I want to have breathing trouble and become too fat to walk, then all I have to do is start eating my fellow vendors' products.

When I opened my store, there are a song on heavy rotation at the local radio station called "Burning It Down".  The singer has poor diction, and for a long while I thought he was saying "turn into mayo".  I told myself that if I indulged in the food which surrounds me, that is exactly what would happen to me: I'd turn into a big tub of slimy fat.  When the song went back down the charts and the radio station stopped playing it, I added it to my playlist so that I would hear it and be reminded of how high the stakes are -- I could lose my new life and go back to misery and pain, and suffer from an early death.

So far, that has been reason enough to keep restricting.

Much love to everyone here at MPA!

Katie

• .:BabyJane:., sleepyfool and EDNOSFailface like this

#43 LMNJ

LMNJ

Omniscient

• Members
  • 4987 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 20 January 2015 - 04:31 PM

I am glad you are back and well, Katie. Your original post spoke volumes to me and that is why I joined MPA. I found my way through WW, their point system and adjusting my own intake and types of food to achieve results. I also found protein helps keep me sane and prevents me from bingeing. Which is something I still struggle with. I've been doing more this week at not a lot of additional calories and it's been a success. Once I stopped looking and eating from the grains section of the power foods and just eliminated those and added in more vegetable dishes and protein I had the loss I wanted. Portion control also plays in a factor.

• Bella1 likes this

CW = 138 (5/24)  //  138.5 (5/23)  //  140 (5/13)   //   141 (5/12)  //   SW=143 (5/7)    //   UGW = 115

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I am  5'2 1/2"  //  51 years young  //   2nd Degree Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do //  HWE = 191 (1998)

#44 Showoff

Showoff

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 05:57 PM

I wanted to thank you for this post, I have been at a plateau at WW for a year and I have tried everything to break it, finally about 6 months ago I stopped giving them money.  WW is great but sometimes you have to take matters into your own hands.

#45 LMNJ

LMNJ

Omniscient

• Members
  • 4987 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 11 March 2015 - 10:29 AM

I wanted to thank you for this post, I have been at a plateau at WW for a year and I have tried everything to break it, finally about 6 months ago I stopped giving them money.  WW is great but sometimes you have to take matters into your own hands.

YEP! I loved the original post here as it made me change their system and then produce the results that I wanted. I am at lifetime so I am no longer giving them money. Their plan is designed to make them wealthy. And it's working.

#46 almostxangel

almostxangel

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1905 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:12 AM

I've unfortunately known more than one person to do weight watchers, be very successful and then balloon up to twice the size once they stopped counting points. Which is exactly what I do when I stop restricting and binge. :/ 

• raspberryswirl likes this

#47 secretlittleliar

secretlittleliar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 07:39 AM

Stupid WW.  You can't use a cookie-cutter approach for everybody.  Plus they allow way too much food for (relatively quickly) noticeable weight loss.

#48 ANA_NICOLE_SMITH

ANA_NICOLE_SMITH

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 26 May 2015 - 06:53 PM

WW is working for me so far but its true you cannot use all the daily or weekly points and expect to lose weight.

Ive lost about 15lbs in one month on the program.  Today Ive only used 4 pts!   had non- point foods mostly,  salad & fruit, chicken broth.

foods with pts today- 1 greek fit n lite dannon yogurt 2pts

2 tbsp italian dressing 2pts

" You screw a couple hundred guys , and the whole world turns on ya" ~ Monica Velour

#49 Guest_Xing20_31_*

Guest_Xing20_31_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2015 - 08:51 PM

I used WW for about 2-3 months. I really liked it at first because there was absolutely no calorie counting, which I despise and has always lead me to falling off the diet wagon. Occasionally I'd go over my daily points, I probably used 10 or so of my "extra points" per week (out of the 49 they give you). I lived on campus at my college so I had a decent amount of exercise from walking all over the place. But in the end I only lost about 10lbs over the course of 2 months. Now to a lot of people that sounds all fine and dandy but I was losing my patience. I mean people lose 30lbs in that amount of time! So I still checked in here and there and entered the food I ate but I didn't follow it religiously. 

Oh and I never had the meetings or anything, I had the full online version. 

#50 Clarlow

Clarlow

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 20 November 2015 - 10:29 AM

As some of you know, I started losing weight by following Weight Watchers Points Plus.

It didn't take me very long to figure out that my weight loss would stall if I used all the "point" that were permitted for me (about 2000 calories).  So I quit using weekly "indulgence" points and exercise-based "activity" points, though I still continued to exercise.  Then I chose to use the minimum points acceptable to the Weight Watchers organization (about 1000 calories, not counting fruit and vegetables), and to make a long story short, I settled upon a 900-ish calorie daily intake as best for longterm weight loss AND live-ability.  

My goal was to adjust the Weight Watchers plan so that I could stay on it forever without being tempted to binge, and strangely enough, the more precisely I designed my pseudo-WW plan, the easier it became to follow it.  "Indulging" myself with sugar and flour, even within my daily calorie allowance, was instantly trigger-y for me, as were fried foods, processed foods, regular dairy or meats (I need skim milk, lowfat cheese, 96% or leaner meat), crunchy snacks, etc.  I need to pre-plan my meals, fast between an early dinner and a late breakfast, focus on lean protein and fresh fruit/veg, exercise 10 hours per week, and so on.

So in the end, my diet doesn't look much like Weight Watchers anymore.  My husband still wants me to attend the meetings, so I go to the meeting room, get weighed in, then hang out in the Humane Society cat adoption room at Petco.  Because it's hard for me to keep my mouth shut when asked how I've lost 53 pounds since April, though I've been reprimanded from one side of WW to the other (in person and online) for telling the truth.

Recent Weight Watchers ads have been touting a double-blind scientific study which shows that Weight Watchers members lose twice as much as other dieters.  I wondered how this was possible, since I wasn't seeing many successful people at meetings (okay, I wasn't seeing ANY, except for hobby dieters who wanted to lose 5 pounds), and the calorie numbers weren't adding up.  Remember that at 246 pounds, I was given points that were the equivalent of 2000 calories, and could earn more by not-really-exercise "activities" like standing up during TV commercials.

So I just read the study report, and wouldn't you know it!  Here's the truth beneath that "lose twice as much weight" headline:

[For everyone who joined Weight Watchers, whether they stuck with it or not...], "the average weight loss at 12 months was 11.2 pounds (5.1 kilograms) for those using Weight Watchers versus 4.8 pounds (2.2 kg) for those on standard care. For those who completed the full 12 months, average weight loss was 14.4 pounds (6.7 kg) on Weight Watchers versus 7.2 pounds (3.3 kg) on standard care."

Keep in mind that the experimental subjects weren't diet hobbyists with 10 or 15 pounds to lose.  They were people who were rated as "obese" or "extremely obese" on the BMI chart.

So if someone like me goes to WW and stays for a year -- presumably adhering reasonably well to the diet plan, or they wouldn't keep showing up to get weighed in -- they will lose 14.4 pounds in 52 weeks?  And also, since the experimental subjects had their WW dues paid for them to participate, wouldn't even fewer people last for the full year if they were paying an average of $12 per week to NOT lose very much weight?

It's the New Year's resolution season again, and all of last year's failures (many of whom have been coming back every January for years) will pick up the diet again, buy all the "new" products, and spend an average of over $300 on dues, products, and WW-branded foods before leaving again by the end of March.  

And when they stand on the meeting-room scale to be weighed in, the weigher will insinuate that any lack of weight loss was due to the members' failure to follow the plan precisely.  And because there is such a culture of self-indulgence in Weight Watchers (from "indulgence" extra points to WW-branded ice cream and candy), even those who follow the plan exactly as written are getting too many calories, while shouldering all of the blame for poor results which are really the fault of the food plan itself.

I happened to be weighing in at the local store at the same time as a WW meeting on the Monday after New Years.  The week before, there had been only 4 attendees.  Now there were almost 50 people there, and when the leader asked how many were newcomers who'd never been to Weight Watchers before, I saw only 5 hands raised.  But the storefront (most WW meetings now happen in malls or shopping districts, at WW-brand stores which sell everything from scales and cookbooks to candy and soft-serve ice cream) was stocked with "brand-new and improved" stuff which is "soooo much better than last year" (though in fact the diet plan hasn't changed at all since 2010).

As I said earlier, I only go to Weight Watchers to weigh in because it keeps my husband off my back.  (He'd be appalled if he knew that I eat less than half of the recommended points, even though my personal method is still not really a "pro-ana" diet -- it's a high-protein CRON plan with moderate caloric restriction.)  I feel guilty sometimes because I don't want vulnerable newcomers to think that I lost my weight by "doing Weight Watchers" as the plan is written.  When I used to attend the meetings, I tried to get this point across during the discussions, though I got busted for it constantly, and have even been asked to not attend certain leaders' groups and forbidden to write on the Weight Watchers online forums.

So this is why I'm so glad to be right here on MPA, where hardcore dieting (which, now that I've experienced Weight Watchers, I know is the same as "actually dieting consistently, and well enough to lose weight") is understood and appreciated.  I love you guys!  <3

Wow, I have to research such studies for a group project at uni, and this was really interesting to hear! If a little sad. I've always wondered if those commercial things are a bit of a scam. I like the idea of support and structure, but any weight loss I've ever achieved has always been achieved alone.

HW: 67+kg?

CW: 58kg

Height: 5 ft 6

Waist: 26, Ass/upper thighs/widest part: 37. Pear shaped :(

GW: 50.3kg

LW: 45kg

#51 Amulet

Amulet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 07:52 PM

I have looked at a lot of research papers about weight loss and these results for weight watchers are actually pretty good as far as weight loss research Goes. The hardest thing to do, health wise, is put people on a behavior modifcation program. If you look at other behavior change topics like quitting smoking or drug use, success rates are pretty abysmal too. So if you have a group of obese people with varying degrees of motivation and put them on a diet, you expect some people to be successful and lose a good amount of weight but most people won't. Losing weight is hard for most people no matter what program you are on. That's why when you see ads for weight loss drugs and diets and they show someone who lost a lot of weight they always say results not typical.
  • ShutTheDoor and ash~doll like this

xTiTnGcgi5nACaTWec.gif

#52 Bella1

Bella1

fortis feminam

• Supporter
  • 15097 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 25 January 2016 - 02:27 AM

I'm a life member of WW
But I got to my GW like yrs & yrs ago when the plan was sooooo different.
I wouldn't go now for the same reason OP said .

HW-172 ~LW-108

~~~

CONTROL FREAKS CLUB

~~~

tumblr_inline_o1568xqGOk1s4jot7_500.gif

#53 LMNJ

LMNJ

Omniscient

• Members
  • 4987 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:26 PM

I'm a life member of WW
But I got to my GW like yrs & yrs ago when the plan was sooooo different.
I wouldn't go now for the same reason OP said .

I am also a lifetime member! I got to goal by restricting and eating under my points and by not eating exercise points.  Now, with the new Oprah endorsement and the plan changed yet again, I am not sure I'd go back either.

• Bella1 likes this

#54 raspberryswirl

raspberryswirl

Omniscient

• Members
  • 5800 posts
  • Locationhell, united kingdom

Posted 16 March 2016 - 04:03 PM

WW is crap, i lost on avarage 1 lb a week before quitting, the leader is usually a smug b**h too, i like their foods though.

I feel like i get to eat more of what i want and lose more with my version of restriction to be honest.

Bmi: 17.2 fml :(
Lw.76 lbs (summer 2017)

CW:104 lbs :(

HW: 185 lbs (summer 2012)

GW: 95 lbs by September, 80 by xmas

Weight before ED:140 lbs. (2003)

​will you hold me tight and not let go

#55 BurningPhoenix23

BurningPhoenix23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Locationwherever the wind takes me

Posted 16 April 2016 - 12:26 PM

I am also a lifetime member! I got to goal by restricting and eating under my points and by not eating exercise points.  Now, with the new Oprah endorsement and the plan changed yet again, I am not sure I'd go back either.

I would definitely not recommend going back, I signed up with my mom back in January when she was on her "new year, new you" resolution that comes every January and at the first meeting we got into points changes based on blending fruits and vegetables.  The group leader was saying that while fruits and veggies were no points if you eat them whole (cooked or raw) they're no points but if you blend them they magically become two points per serving.  You can't honestly tell me that they think that eating 8 cups of raw spinach should really be eight points instead or zero just because you put them in a blender while 5oz of canned tuna is 1 point.  Once I heard that I knew they weren't going to do anything except push WW products.  I immediately cancelled my membership and have no plans of looking back.

• OKaP and LMNJ like this

Tell me again why I can't do it, I'm just dying to know... :rolleyes:

#56 pogo

pogo

Omniscient

• Members
  • 9417 posts
  • Locationplanet earth

Posted 16 April 2016 - 12:36 PM

My guardian V did it, she lost 50 pds in like a year or so i think? But she homecooked meals a lot (her cooking is disgusting by the way), and didn't eat there prepackaged stuff, which is shit and can.cause weight gain in a normie. There packaged meals are loaded with salt and shit...

#57 LMNJ

LMNJ

Omniscient

• Members
  • 4987 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 26 April 2016 - 05:08 PM

I would definitely not recommend going back, I signed up with my mom back in January when she was on her "new year, new you" resolution that comes every January and at the first meeting we got into points changes based on blending fruits and vegetables.  The group leader was saying that while fruits and veggies were no points if you eat them whole (cooked or raw) they're no points but if you blend them they magically become two points per serving.  You can't honestly tell me that they think that eating 8 cups of raw spinach should really be eight points instead or zero just because you put them in a blender while 5oz of canned tuna is 1 point.  Once I heard that I knew they weren't going to do anything except push WW products.  I immediately cancelled my membership and have no plans of looking back.

This is good to know. I wasn't sure what was going on with the Oprah version of WW. Each year they change the diet. I am still on the "Core" ideology but eliminated a lot of wheat and dairy because I think they inhibit weight loss. Of course, when I binge eat, those are the foods of choice! 

I wonder if you end up eating more when blending those vegetables and fruits? Maybe that is it? Extra vegetables (especially raw) never lead to a gain. It's that dang brown rice, and reduced calorie bread and English muffins that are problematic. I can eat HEAPS of whole wheat pasta and NOT feel full - ever.  Dangerous weight loss ideas right there.

I decided to not go back and waste money. I think I'd rather drop into a hot yoga class each week instead.

• EDNOSFailface likes this

#58 TheFatLesbian

TheFatLesbian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationCanterlot, Equestria

Posted 22 July 2016 - 09:20 PM

If anyone was curious my mom just started this and is losing 2 pounds a week. I don't believe she's altered at all and is on their standard diet.

Sadly this triggered me since she's lost 8 pounds and I feel the need to do that even though I'm almost half her weight (I'm shorter too)
So yea, back to 800 calories a day (No suspicion that way plus I can eat whenever I'm hungry) for me so I too can lose the weight. Few more pounds to underweight....so close.
Just because I'm breathing doesn't mean I'm alive. Unrequited loved lesbian.

HW: 115
GW: 105
GW: 100
UGW: 95
CW: 109
Height; 5'3

#59 arlovesanimals

arlovesanimals

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 04:51 PM

Hi, I had joined WW couple weeks ago, followed for 3 days,then doing nothing all this time. Joining again tomorrow, I think. Will go to meetings for a couple of weeks, till I get the hang of it. I was eating healthier those 3 days, and felt lighter.
  • LMNJ likes this

#60 monkeyc

monkeyc

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 01 October 2016 - 05:38 AM

The old ww system was much better. I lost 30lbs around 2009 and followed the plan exactly. Sometimes I went over but I ate lots of fruit which wasn't free then. Got down to 122lbs. Then they brought out the new system and suddenly my points allowance went up to the same allowance as a woman of 210lbs. That made no sense to me at all. That's a weight gaining allowance for me. They couldn't give me a satisfactory explanation.

They rigged it so members lose weight slowly and stay there longer to pay membership fees. It was the same overweight middle aged women there week after week losing and gaining the same 5lbs. More like a social club than diet club. I stopped going even though I had my gold membership.

28883629.png

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

By MercurialVenus in Isafeye's Blog, on 09 October 2014 - 09:22 PM

Source: Success? You call this success?

Read Full Entry →

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users