Macronutrient Ratios - Vitamins, Supplements and Nutrition - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Macronutrient Ratios

nutrition paleo lowcarb diet

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ambiguous_Ava

Ambiguous_Ava

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationPA, USA

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:43 PM

I have been trying to find a ratio of macronutrients that work for me, ie. protein/carbohydrate/fats. I had been going low carb which is okay during the day but found that it really disrupted my nightime sleep, and I could only sleep if I ate something with a significant amount of carbs in it (20+ grams). I am paleo-ish and stick to whole foods but am looking for feedback on what people think the appropriate ratios for me might be.

I was doing a 30% protein, 15% carb, 55% fat spread which works out to 100g 50g 81g respectively on a 1300cal a day diet.

Planning to switch to 30-30-40 which is 100 pro -100 carb - 60 fat.

Thoughts?

Tumblr (inactive)

LW - 90lbs, HW - 140, GW - 95

Meds: Lamictal 250mg, Wellbutrin SR 100mg, Methylphenidate ER 45mg, Medical Marijuana

#2 tobf

tobf

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • LocationAsia

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:34 PM

100g carb will probably kick u out of keto Ava. U could try, use ketostix to check, and then scale back a bit if it turns out too much? Just my thoughts.

Tire Of Being Fat 

not diagnosed. Behaviors were BED age 14-28, currently behaviors match ED-NOS restrictive type.

HW: 250 (2007) .::. SW: 208 (2011) .::. CW: 137.1 (05/16/14) .::. LW: 125.6 (2011) .::. Born '82 .::. kik: tobftt

Short-term Goals (Before Sept Ends, 2014)                        
[03/13/'14] G1: 24.0 BMI {158.0}                          [xx/xx/'xx]  G5: 20.0 BMI {131.6} New Max Weight allowed, even if in recovery
[04/03/'14] G2: 23.0 BMI {151.4}                          [xx/xx/'xx]  G6: 19.0 BMI {125.1} New LW
[04/15/'14] G3: 22.0 BMI {144.8}                          [xx/xx/'xx]  G7: 18.0 BMI {118.5} Buffer to not hit 'Normal' easily
[05/10/'14] G4: 21.0 BMI {138.2}                          [xx/xx/'xx]  G8: 17.5 BMI {115.2} Would like to meet the old criteria, at least once

**Date format is mm/dd/'yy 

Forever goal:

To be between 17.5~18.5 BMI for the rest of my fucking life.

Lowest I ever want to allow myself to go:

110, 16.7 BMI, 50kg

#3 Ambiguous_Ava

Ambiguous_Ava

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationPA, USA

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:04 PM

100g carb will probably kick u out of keto Ava. U could try, use ketostix to check, and then scale back a bit if it turns out too much? Just my thoughts.

Yeah Im not caring about ketogenic at all really anymore, I just want something that will help me lose but enable me to sleep at night.

Tumblr (inactive)

Meds: Lamictal 250mg, Wellbutrin SR 100mg, Methylphenidate ER 45mg, Medical Marijuana

#4 foodforthought

foodforthought

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:58 AM

with the fat I'd suggest opting for the vegetable, fish, nut, and seed sources (unsaturated) so you get the essentials.  Some fat spreads might be low in calories but high in trans fats which are linked with heart and circulatory diseases and cancers.

I've done that split before but upped the carbs to 35% 'cause I started to feel a bit weak... I'm quite active.  But it sounds as though you're used to low carbs so should be fine.  You can always play around with the macros if you don't get the results you want.

PS government guidelines (for what they're worth!!) are 50 © 15 (p) 35 (f) but the carbs are kept high in order to keep the fats in check.

HW 164lbs

CW 125 lbs

LW 102 lb

#5 Ambiguous_Ava

Ambiguous_Ava

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationPA, USA

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:11 PM

with the fat I'd suggest opting for the vegetable, fish, nut, and seed sources (unsaturated) so you get the essentials.  Some fat spreads might be low in calories but high in trans fats which are linked with heart and circulatory diseases and cancers.

I've done that split before but upped the carbs to 35% 'cause I started to feel a bit weak... I'm quite active.  But it sounds as though you're used to low carbs so should be fine.  You can always play around with the macros if you don't get the results you want.

PS government guidelines (for what they're worth!!) are 50 © 15 (p) 35 (f) but the carbs are kept high in order to keep the fats in check.

Well I actually follow primal/paleo so I get a lot of well-sourced saturated fats in and avoid most seed oils/trans fats, but thank you! I am pretty used to low carb it was just not giving me enough flex room to incorporate a low of veggies/fruits, and as I said causing sleep problems. I guess we will see how it goes.

P.S. Governmental guidelines are so ridiculously skewed, seems like kids just dont have a chance anymore.... but thats a conversation for another day.

• foodforthought and tobf like this

Tumblr (inactive)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nutrition, paleo, lowcarb, diet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users