Period - Beauty, Health and Wellness - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Period

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 starshine

starshine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:07 PM

I can't find a topic on this at the moment but would love to hear how you all cope during your period?

I got mine a few days ago and my will power has been so low.

Any tips for sugar/chocolate cravings?

xxx

xxx Love will find me one day xxx.5ft 5 (166cm)HW 182 lbs (with a 12lb baby)LW : 122 lbsSW : 147lbsCW : 147lbsGW1: 140lbsGW2: 135lbsGW3: 130lbs<p>UGW: 120lbs

#2 Guest_Pixie._*

Guest_Pixie._*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:18 PM

You are very fortunate. I have not had my period for two years :( When I did have my period I would take Midol, and would place a dry heat application on my lower abdomen. And consume foods high in iron.

#3 PumaConcolor

PumaConcolor

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • LocationWonderland (or Canada)

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:19 PM

I don't know how much these will help you (depends on your intake goals) but these are a few for me. I'm not a huge fan of sweets so candy isn't a big issue for me but I find that when I'm craving something like gummi bears, I eat berries instead. They're small and they pack that flavour that I'm looking for in candy so sometimes it helps a lot.

For chocolate (and admittedly, this doesn't always work very well at all) Tetley makes a 0 calorie chocolate chai tea. If I'm really craving chocolate and I can't psyche my way out of it, I try a cup of this tea. Sometimes it works and it definitely has that chocolatey smell but to be honest, my mouth and my brain know damn well that it isn't the chocolate I'm searching for so sometimes it's wasted effort.

My one non-breakable rule when I'm on my period though is to avoid the scale like the plague. Water weight is brutal for me and I put on like 5-6 lbs when I have my period. I stay away from the scale so I don't cry and so I feel less like I've failed or something.

Height: 5'0
SW: 161 lbs
CW: 135 lbs

LW: 93 lbs
GW1: 120 lbs
GW2: 100 lbs

UGW: 93 lbs

#4 edie

edie

Sage

• Supporter
  • 945 posts
  • LocationSouth France

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:30 PM

Get chocolate diet bars and cut them into pieces like making your own "box of chocolates" and take a piece or two when craving. Most of the bars are around 80 cals so even if you eat it all it's not much to worry about!

signaturey

#5 edie

edie

Sage

• Supporter
  • 945 posts
  • LocationSouth France

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:31 PM

Btw, when I am on my period I allow myself to eat a bit more. The body needs it.

signaturey

#6 Dark Pale

Dark Pale

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:49 PM

So has mine! what i ate last night should have lasted me about 3 days :(

~ just a another girl trying to get skinny ~

#7 katrina

katrina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:33 AM

sugar free chewing gum helps me. for cravings of sugar

And  during periods i literally used to pass out every time due to pain, i would suggest  not to restrict for the first two days at least..i used to do that and it caused a lot of harm for me..i do take pain killers.... but still the thought of pain makes me so scared of periods (and do drink a lot of water)  :)

#8 Inthinity

Inthinity

Philanthropist

• Supporter
  • 12248 posts
  • LocationLa la land

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:39 AM

I've never really had a normal period, not when I was healthy, definitely not when I had anorexia, had it once or twice during my B.E.D and now I get it occassionally with my compulsive overeating. I think I just have a really irregular release of hormones and I think I have hypothyroidism which my sister has as well. I usually eat like crap anyways so I never notice a difference.

Try exercising because it is apparently good for you during your period. xx

giphy.gif

#9 LadyLinda420

LadyLinda420

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3642 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:24 AM

This may sound like a silly question, but how long does it take before not eating messes with your period?

"Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels."

SW: 133

GW1: 125

GW2: 120

GW3: 115

OLD UGW: 105

UGW: 95 (ACHIEVED!!!)

And now Phase Two...Underweight Division...

New GW 1: 90

New GW 2: 85

New UGW: 80

* Zumba is Life!!!*

:wub:

#10 PumaConcolor

PumaConcolor

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • LocationWonderland (or Canada)

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:41 AM

This may sound like a silly question, but how long does it take before not eating messes with your period?

I think I read somewhere that usually it takes a BMI of around 15-16 before your period stops but obviously everyone is different and it'll depend on how your body handles iron deficiency. That lack of iron is what stops periods. We lose a lot of iron during that time of the month and after a while your body stops your period because it's hanging onto all the iron that it can. I imagine if you're taking a daily multivitamin you can help combat some of the dangers of malnutrition for at least a little while.

Height: 5'0
SW: 161 lbs
CW: 135 lbs

LW: 93 lbs
GW1: 120 lbs
GW2: 100 lbs

UGW: 93 lbs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users