How do you feel about Pescetarians? - Vegetarian/Vegan/Raw Food Diets - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

How do you feel about Pescetarians?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Poll: pescetarian (264 member(s) have cast votes)

pescetarians?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ✿Serendipity☠♥

✿Serendipity☠♥

Omniscient

• Supporter
  • 4799 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:10 PM

My images & gifs

Spoiler

My stats:

Spoiler

my list of fav threads   :wub:

Spoiler

#2 Guest_ElizabethHarper_*

Guest_ElizabethHarper_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:24 PM

Oh, i am one :) so yeah, i like them :P 

In all seriousness, I only eat shellfish. Mainly because I just can't empathize with a shrimp. A cow i feel bad for. A shrimp just doesn't provoke any feelings in me. haha, i suppose i am just not empathetic enough 

• ohsotiny likes this

#3 Guest_robbyh1_*

Guest_robbyh1_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:27 PM

Very wary!

There's definitely summin fishy about 'em!

• gauntitude, mmoorgan, ultraviolets and 4 others like this

#4 ✿Serendipity☠♥

✿Serendipity☠♥

Omniscient

• Supporter
  • 4799 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:28 PM

In all seriousness, I only eat shellfish. Mainly because I just can't empathize with a shrimp. A cow i feel bad for. A shrimp just doesn't provoke any feelings in me. haha, i suppose i am just not empathetic enough 

do you feel like you get flak from the vegan/vegetarian community? or acceptance? How about on this subforum board? 

I read a few threads on this site that involved pescetarianism, and some snobby comments were made by vegans. Which I was personally surprised at, but since I am omnivorous, maybe there is something I don't understand about this subculture, so I thought I could get that enlightenment here, with this poll/thread.

Like, do vegans give vegetarians crap about not completely bypassing animal products? or are they accepting?

My images & gifs

Spoiler

My stats:

Spoiler

Spoiler

#5 Guest_ElizabethHarper_*

Guest_ElizabethHarper_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:35 PM

do you feel like you get flak from the vegan/vegetarian community? or acceptance? How about on this subforum board? 

I read a few threads on this site that involved pescetarianism, and some snobby comments were made by vegans. Which I was personally surprised at, but since I am omnivorous, maybe there is something I don't understand about this subculture, so I thought I could get that enlightenment here, with this poll/thread.

Like, do vegans give vegetarians crap about not completely bypassing animal products? or are they accepting?

Well, i would hate to group everyone together because some vegans are very nice people. But sometimes there is the second class citizen thing that people seem to put on you. Which is why i rarely comment on this forum :( When I first made the choice to switch over, i made the VERY bad mistake of introducing myself as a vegetarian who ate seafood. Yeah... major backlash. Opps, i didn't even know that was bad to do but i sure learned fast! 

I think, at the end of the day, we should all respect an opinion that is the result of deep thought and investigation.

• ✿Serendipity☠♥ and Notperfect Ever like this

#6 kevi

kevi

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6738 posts
  • LocationSouth

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:35 PM

I don't think all vegetarians are all high and mighty about their eating habits, as the poll options imply (though yes, I know of some vegans who certainly are.). Pescetarians are great. Omnivores are great. Vegans are great.

I don't judge people for eating animals, I ate animals for most of my life (didn't really want to, but I still did it). I cook meat at work. I believe making any effort to eat less meat, and not demanding it on every single plate helps to lower the amount of factory farming though. I don't think people need to completely give up meat to make some difference, if they feel that they want to. I selected "their body, their choice".

I don't even really know many/any other vegetarians in real life.

• ✿Serendipity☠♥ and Danerys_Targaryen like this

I spent this year as a ghost. ___________________________________

uvCCfHz.png

#7 ✿Serendipity☠♥

✿Serendipity☠♥

Omniscient

• Supporter
  • 4799 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:57 PM

I don't think all vegetarians are all high and mighty about their eating habits, as the poll options imply (though yes, I know of some vegans who certainly are.). Pescetarians are great. Omnivores are great. Vegans are great.

I don't judge people for eating animals, I ate animals for most of my life (didn't really want to, but I still did it). I cook meat at work. I believe making any effort to eat less meat, and not demanding it on every single plate helps to lower the amount of factory farming though. I don't think people need to completely give up meat to make some difference, if they feel that they want to. I selected "their body, their choice".

I don't even really know many/any other vegetarians in real life.

well your character is shiny! seriously. It's nice to see peaceful people like yourself. AND very logical the point you made. If you can encourage someone to eat less meat, you might make more of a difference than pushing everyone away who is willing to make small changes but not go 100% without etc etc.

• kevi likes this

My images & gifs

Spoiler

My stats:

Spoiler

Spoiler

#8 Guest_tea-and-owls_*

Guest_tea-and-owls_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:58 PM

I'm a pescetarian! And have been for over 5 years. My family still eats meat, so they won't let me go further. When I move out I'm planning on adopting a vegan lifestyle.

#9 Guest_tinyninety_*

Guest_tinyninety_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:44 AM

I don't understand why pescetarian is even a word to be honest, because you're still a meat-eater. It's alive when it's killed... meat = dead animal, so I see no difference in eating fish and eating a steak. Cutting back on meat is always a good thing, I just think it's silly and irrational to have a word for someone who eats one type of meat but not the others.

• yiota, bonesatteatime and BrunetteLady like this

#10 ✿Serendipity☠♥

✿Serendipity☠♥

Omniscient

• Supporter
  • 4799 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:47 AM

I don't understand why pescetarian is even a word to be honest, because you're still a meat-eater. It's alive when it's killed... meat = dead animal, so I see no difference in eating fish and eating a steak. Cutting back on meat is always a good thing, I just think it's silly and irrational to have a word for someone who eats one type of meat but not the others.

thanks for sharing your opinion :)

My images & gifs

Spoiler

My stats:

Spoiler

Spoiler

#11 Mama Gay

Mama Gay

BIRTHDAY GAY

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11542 posts
  • Locationbaking cookies and handing them out to any Baby Gay who needs a cookie from Mom

Posted 14 April 2014 - 05:47 PM

I'm a pescetarian, mainly because I still live at home. Finding non meat sources of protein is rather tricky.

I also think that it'd be super duper hard to just become full vegan just like that, so I'm easing my way towards veganism. Within a few months I hope to be full vegetarian, and then vegan. About half a year ago I cut red meat out of my diet. Then poultry. I'm working my way towards taking diary out of my diet, as soon as I find a good vegan yogurt that won't break my budget. Since I have a job now and a steady paycheck, it'll be so much easier to fund my Animal-Friendly diet.

99mq.gif

sorry I talk about my kid so much

#bubbersbutt2k18

il_340x270.1207481605_js6b.jpg

Give me attention I'm needy: GerardGayy.sarahah.com

#12 kayzilla

kayzilla

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:36 PM

I've been a vegetarian for nearly 7 years, but only recently dubbed myself a closet pescetarian.

I don't judge others for eating meats, I mean hey, your life, you do you.. But I definitely feel guilt because in my head if I'm not eating it for health then it's not morally correct for me to eat it. Just me though, no one else. :D

I love fish. I always have. Alive or dead. I'm honestly on the fence about this one. I don't like when pescetarians call themselves vegetarians, but honestly, I don't see much of a downside to being one.

height = 5'5"

cw: too big.

gw1: 180

gw2: 150

gw3: 135

uw: 120

Maybe more. I just want a flat tummy for once in my life. :<

tumblr_n2x9yza4Dn1reel2jo2_250.giftumblr_n2x9yza4Dn1reel2jo1_250.gif

#13 gauntitude

gauntitude

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1446 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:47 PM

I think it's a step in the right direction (especially if they otherwise do not eat eggs, milk, or other animal products). It's certainly better than eating meat three times a day so I'll support them, although I'd love to support them going veg too!

Can y'all please stop calling yourself vegetarian or vegan though? Because I'm really sick of having people assume I eat fish. Especially sick of people preparing fish for me and expecting me to eat it.

#14 белоруска

белоруска

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3322 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:36 PM

I don't care. I am vegan and have never really eaten meat, and obviously I feel it is best not to eat any meat / animal products. But generally I do not worry about other people's diet choices. 

• ✿Serendipity☠♥ likes this

❀❀❀"You don’t look normal, dear. You look sick. Because sick and not normal are the same thing. You’re destroying yourself, and no one is going to tell you that - no one."❀❀❀

— Yevgeny Zamyatin, We

sykt95.jpg

#15 FlyCharlotteFly

FlyCharlotteFly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:49 PM

I'm a vegan and I've never had meat in my life, but I don't look down on pescetarians or anything. It's your choice what you do with your body <3. And it's a step in the right direction. The only problem I have is with people who introduce themselves as vegetarians and then eat seafood. That's just-
沒什麼味道一樣好瘦的感覺

CW: 110lbs
GW1: 100lbs. Reward: tumblr
GW2: 90lbs. Reward: Instagram
GW3: 80lbs. Reward: clothes

~ // You look like a model when: // ~
# your arms no longer jiggle or change their shape when you press them to your body
# you have visible collarbones
# your fingers got bonier
# your legs got smaller and there's no fat on the kneecaps
# there are visible hipbones, not necessarily need to stick out extremely
# you have a flat stomach and can wear really tight shirts without shame, even crop tops and other things you weren't afraid to wear
# there's much less fat on the face
# people start to tell you that you look healthier and thinner

#16 Guest_one.day_*

Guest_one.day_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:13 PM

there are too many factors that enter one's dietary choice for people to judge each other based on one single word.

maybe you eat shellfish because you don't think they are sentient. maybe you eat meat that was raised humanely and died of old age. maybe you eat your grandma's chickens' eggs. maybe you're vegan because you don't have access to your grandma's chickens' eggs. maybe you have the worst anemia that can only be cured by eating meat. maybe you're vegetarian because you're allergic to soy... the list goes ON.

that being said, i picked "it's a step in the right direction" because i believe in protecting the environment as much as possible. fishing is really destructive for the oceans. but honestly, i don't consider myself righteous for being vegan at all. growing and harvesting plants isn't the most environmentally friendly either. you do have to eat something though :)

#17 ohsotiny

ohsotiny

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:16 PM

I'm pescetarian too and this is EXACTLY how I feel! LOL!

Height: 4'11

HW- 140 lbs (GROSS)

LW- 88 lbs

CW- Between 100-105 lbs (Too scared to weigh in right now)

GW1- 98 lbs 

GW2- 95 lbs TATTOO 

GW3- 90 lbs Belly Button Piercing and Bikini

UGW- 82-85 lbs by the end of June! (Yeeeeeppie)

:wub: July Plan :wub: 

31 Days in July. I will fast for 15 of those!!! No more than 600 calories on eating days!

PESCETARIAN (Wannabe Raw Vegan Who Can't Let Go Of Sushi :ph34r: )

CURRENTLY ON: Water Fast 

Safe Foods:

Coconut Water. Vega One Smoothies. Organic Protein Shakes. Spirulina. Raw Cacao. Nori. Shiritaki Noodles. Kelp Noodles. Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk. Brown Rice. Potatoes (Sweet and White). ALL VEGGIESLiquid Aminos. Dates. Grapefruit. Raspberries. Blackberries. Kale Chips

Fear Foods:

Corn. Wheat. Corn Syrup. Agave. Apples :(

Nut Butter (Binge Food :( )

Protein Bars. Cashews. Peanuts. Meat. Butter. Processed Crap. Olive/Canola/Vegetable Oils

Intermittent Fasting From 7:00pm to 3:00pm (20/4 Split) 

Eat LESS than 600 cals a day

Meal 1: 2 Cooled Potatoes

Meal 2: Brown Rice and Veg Rice Paper Wraps with PB2 sauce or 2 Cooled Potatoes

2b8a2a722c9acd29cd1b5c2eec93062a
a303cd8a426a1de1fbf10f7a1f123339

#18 Guest_ElizabethHarper_*

Guest_ElizabethHarper_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2014 - 04:11 PM

I'm a vegan and I've never had meat in my life, but I don't look down on pescetarians or anything. It's your choice what you do with your body <3. And it's a step in the right direction. The only problem I have is with people who introduce themselves as vegetarians and then eat seafood. That's just-

I can understand that :) But just so you know, i have to usually say I am vegetarian expect I eat seafood. Most people have no idea what pescetarian even means! haha, my spell check doesn't even think the word exists :P 

#19 Guest_AnchorsAweigh_*

Guest_AnchorsAweigh_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:31 AM

I can understand that :) But just so you know, i have to usually say I am vegetarian expect I eat seafood. Most people have no idea what pescetarian even means! haha, my spell check doesn't even think the word exists :P

One time when I told my parents I wanted to be pescatarian, they thought I meant presbyterian! :P 

This is going to sound awful of me, but I try my hardest to be veg (of some sort) but I always end up eating meat :( I am going to give it another go! And I hope I have the willpower to stay vegetarian. Especially since I would love to be vegan one day! I was raised to believe that you need meat daily and you don't get enough nutrients if you're veg, but I *know* that's all bs. I just need to get over my 'Murican ways of eating and toss the junk!!

#20 yiota

yiota

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1093 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:26 PM

To me they are meat eaters. That doesn't mean that I hate them or something.  

But tbh I get a bit pissed when I hear "it's my choice blah blah". No. What you eat is your choice indeed,who you eat it's not.

tumblr_n1xcyvYQlo1rlyq7mo1_500.gif   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users