What is Rumination Disorder? - Rumination Disorder - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

What is Rumination Disorder?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Raiiny

Raiiny

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3074 posts
  • LocationYour local pond

Posted 04 May 2017 - 09:01 PM

I've seen a lot of confusion in what this eating disorder is and wether or wether not you have it.

So

This is an eating disorder where someone regurgitates their foods, or constantly chews and spits and regurgitates their food. It becomes more of a habit and is extrememelt hard to quit. By technical diagnosises, symptoms have to go in for a month or longer, and sometimes you have these habits and do them so often that you don't even think about doing it, it becomes a second nature. Regurgitation is usually occurred when swallowing the food or right after ingesting it.
This is not just c/s!
C/s is just chewing and spitting food, but it can accompany rumination disorder.
Rumination disorder can accompany many eating disorders such as bulimia and anorexia and EDNOS as well as pica.
While rumination IS considered an eating disorder, it is also known to be a motility disorder ( because it becomes like a tic)
There is no standard " behavior" for someone with this
You can Rechew and regurgitate for hours or whilst you are chewing or while the food is in the middle of swallowing or maybe you only do it with certain foods.... any of these things that go on repeatedly but with lack of control is rumination,
But, if you feel like your rumination is " forced" it doesn't mean you don't have it, most of the times it is a known or forced thing but then gradually slips into an unconscious almost act,
Unfortunately, not a lot is known about this ed, and so many people are misdiagnosed with a gastrointestinal problem or other illness or even bulimia, especially if the person has a history of eating disorders or other illnesses or if they have developmental problems.
Rumination is very hard to recover from, but there is treatment, and by that, I me a forcing yourself as hard as you can to not do it and swelling the food if it is recognized that you are regurgitating it. It took me over a year to stop doing it, and 3 years later I still occasionally do it, so you have to work and work at it.
This can cause many esaphagual problems as well as halitosis and acid reflux.
Stay strong everyone, I'm sorry to all those going through this! <3
  • size00perfect, Minky31, starvingsophia and 20 others like this
5 ft 1
CW: 95
GW (1): 95 xx
UGW: back down to 85 ❤️
LW: 71
HW: 109
<p>tumblr_o6reeps7JV1uctr63o1_540.gif

#2 blanket man

blanket man

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 28 May 2017 - 06:54 PM

thank you omg!!!!

• Raiiny likes this

HW: 194lbs

SW: 184lbs

CW: 150lbs

GW: 175lbs 

GW2: 165lbs 

GW3: 154lbs (Overweight Checkpoint) 

GW4: 136lbs (Healthy Checkpoint)

Anorexia, PTSD, MDD, Anxiety, BPD, D.I.D

Alters: Lily, Myxi, Clover, Eiver and Angel

#3 sxdgxrlsclxb

sxdgxrlsclxb

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Locationmars or whatever

Posted 13 June 2017 - 04:26 PM

I think I have this! I've talked to multiple dietitians, psychiatrists, and my psychologist about it and they all said it was just a part of my bulimia. Is this something that can be diagnosed? Or do they overlook it if you already have an eating disorder that causes it (like you said it can be caused by EDs). I've always wondered what caused it, thanks for posting this!

• Pinkparachute, Raiiny, scorpiobaby and 1 other like this

tumblr_mlzdkabIHP1qcbmeto1_500.gif

#4 Raiiny

Raiiny

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3074 posts
  • LocationYour local pond

Posted 12 July 2017 - 04:57 PM

I think I have this! I've talked to multiple dietitians, psychiatrists, and my psychologist about it and they all said it was just a part of my bulimia. Is this something that can be diagnosed? Or do they overlook it if you already have an eating disorder that causes it (like you said it can be caused by EDs). I've always wondered what caused it, thanks for posting this!

Yes it can be diagnosed, and it can be triggered by your current ED
Air depends on your psychiatrist I guess,but just bc you're diagnosed does mean this isn't what you have, and you shouldn't feel invalidated! Maybe try bringin up rumination disorder next time you see them
It is still a very unheard of ED
5 ft 1
CW: 95
GW (1): 95 xx
UGW: back down to 85 ❤️
LW: 71
HW: 109
<p>tumblr_o6reeps7JV1uctr63o1_540.gif

#5 EllRobin

EllRobin

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 23 July 2017 - 03:32 PM

I have had the issue of essentially 'throwing up' my food after eating with no effort or stomach acid, with no intent or control... it seems to be 'triggered' by foods I think I shouldn't have eaten or simply eating too much, even just drinking too much water. I thought it was caused by damaging my esophagus from bulimia- is rumination disorder what I have? :-0

• starvingwriter and ryrrynk like this

giphy.gif

HW: 135

CW: 112.8

LW: 100

GW1: 105UGW: 95

#6 musicalfailure

musicalfailure

Anorexia in the Key of B/P Major

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15386 posts
  • LocationAs far away from paradise as you can possibly be..

Posted 23 July 2017 - 05:52 PM

Yeah for me it's not like chewing/spitting. This is when you actually swallow the food and it comes back up on its own accord. It's my method of purging actually, so I just view it as that, but I guess if a doctor wanted to diagnose it specifically then I'm pretty sure that's what it is.

• Jeido likes this
Love you mpa, thanks for everything ♡

#7 нι∂ιиgιтαωαу

нι∂ιиgιтαωαу

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Locationno where

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:03 AM

so is this the reason I can purge "hands-free"

• LadySorcery6, Ces05379a, blueopalsong and 1 other like this

height: 4'9

tried to be a normal human being and recover, but that failed horribly...

Lw: 70.5/32 kg

Cw: 85 Lb/39 Kg

Gw1: 77 Lb

Gw2: 72 Lb

Ugw: 30 kg/66 Lb

#8 Guest_fruitpassion_*

Guest_fruitpassion_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2017 - 10:47 PM

this was informative, thank you

• LadySorcery6 likes this

#9 Zoogza1

Zoogza1

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 05:06 PM

Hm, very interesting.  Never heard of this before but it makes sense.

• LadySorcery6 likes this

#10 belugawhale

belugawhale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Locationusa :))

Posted 23 August 2017 - 10:15 AM

wow thanks for educating me!  :D

Height: 5'8

HW: 144

CW: 128

LW: 96

GW1: 130

GW2: 125

GW3: 120

UGW: 115

:wub:fucking beluga whale :wub:

wannabe cara delevingne

​CURRENT DIET: water fast!

#11 KittyCaty

KittyCaty

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1164 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 24 August 2017 - 07:20 AM

so is this the reason I can purge "hands-free"

I purge hands free but i wouldn't think it was rumination. For me anyway. Because i have to work at for it to start happening
  • blueopalsong and Jeido like this

CW: 116

HW: 185

LW: 99

"

you taught me I could change whatever came within these shallow days

"

#12 Jocheved

Jocheved

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts
  • Location9th circle of hell

Posted 07 January 2018 - 12:40 PM

Oh well today I learned something new about myself... so you're implying that naturally being able to purge handsfree isn't a superpower at all? : (((

Spoiler

#13 avealynne

avealynne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 03:39 PM

oh my GOD this explains so much.

"I refuse to live my life being average"

STATS

[height]

5'9"

[age]

[current weight]

119 lbs

[UGW]

100 lbs

[progress]

135 - 130 - 125 - 120 - 115 - 110 - 105 - 100

[links]

instagram.com/avealynne

avealynne.sarahah.com

#14 Scurvy

Scurvy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 January 2018 - 09:04 PM

OMG. I've been doing this since I was a little, little girl. It has nothing to do with bulimia. Most of the time, I just rechew it and swallow it and to be honest, I really enjoy doing it. I can also purge "hands free" and have always been able to.

flat,200x200,075,f.u2.jpg

#15 Guest_PunkDaisy_*

Guest_PunkDaisy_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2018 - 01:02 PM

I always thought this was my OCD

#16 phoebewinterbottom

phoebewinterbottom

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 05:56 PM

I've seen a lot of confusion in what this eating disorder is and wether or wether not you have it.

So

This is an eating disorder where someone regurgitates their foods, or constantly chews and spits and regurgitates their food. It becomes more of a habit and is extrememelt hard to quit. By technical diagnosises, symptoms have to go in for a month or longer, and sometimes you have these habits and do them so often that you don't even think about doing it, it becomes a second nature. Regurgitation is usually occurred when swallowing the food or right after ingesting it.
This is not just c/s!
C/s is just chewing and spitting food, but it can accompany rumination disorder.
Rumination disorder can accompany many eating disorders such as bulimia and anorexia and EDNOS as well as pica.
While rumination IS considered an eating disorder, it is also known to be a motility disorder ( because it becomes like a tic)
There is no standard " behavior" for someone with this
You can Rechew and regurgitate for hours or whilst you are chewing or while the food is in the middle of swallowing or maybe you only do it with certain foods.... any of these things that go on repeatedly but with lack of control is rumination,
But, if you feel like your rumination is " forced" it doesn't mean you don't have it, most of the times it is a known or forced thing but then gradually slips into an unconscious almost act,
Unfortunately, not a lot is known about this ed, and so many people are misdiagnosed with a gastrointestinal problem or other illness or even bulimia, especially if the person has a history of eating disorders or other illnesses or if they have developmental problems.
Rumination is very hard to recover from, but there is treatment, and by that, I me a forcing yourself as hard as you can to not do it and swelling the food if it is recognized that you are regurgitating it. It took me over a year to stop doing it, and 3 years later I still occasionally do it, so you have to work and work at it.
This can cause many esaphagual problems as well as halitosis and acid reflux.
Stay strong everyone, I'm sorry to all those going through this! <3

I know this is a late reply, but have you lost any weight from it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Height: 5’7
CW: 113
GW: 103
UGW: 96

#17 Anagreenteadiet

Anagreenteadiet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationLytham St Anne's

Posted 21 February 2018 - 09:56 AM

I never knew this existed until today!

#18 Guest_numbersandthoughts_*

Guest_numbersandthoughts_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:54 PM

Sorry for reviving this a bit but I believe I may have this??? I thought it was just a form of bulimia? It has been going on for -years- and honestly I thought it was hands-free purging for a while. Huh.

#19 phoebewinterbottom

phoebewinterbottom

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:02 AM

Sorry for reviving this a bit but I believe I may have this??? I thought it was just a form of bulimia? It has been going on for -years- and honestly I thought it was hands-free purging for a while. Huh.

Have you lost any weight from it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Height: 5’7
CW: 113
GW: 103
UGW: 96

#20 Man_In_The_Moon

Man_In_The_Moon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationCold, friendly Atlantic outside my window

Posted 15 March 2018 - 10:04 AM

this is interesting, I'm wondering if I have this.... I don't binge or purge, although I do get full fast and feel sick after normal meals often. When I'm full and I burp, or when I'm lying down or generally not controlling the burp too well (sorry, TMI?) food comes up. I swallow it unless I'm standing over the bathroom sink, then I'll spit it out. I think I've been doing it at least a month (? sorry again) and I'm concerned about my teeth but otherwise it's not a big deal, if I've just eaten there's not much acid.

This is your life!

It's do or die!

The sun may never shine again

So be the light, the vision!

—"Your Life" by Hollywood Undead

Spoiler

Bi and FTM. I'm out to two friends (an my parents). Now I have pride wristbands so who knows who knows now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users