Tried Bulking and Just Got Fat? - Muscle Dysmorphia - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Tried Bulking and Just Got Fat?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 TherionDeThanatos

TherionDeThanatos

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1019 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 02:06 PM

I know this forum is basically dead, but it's worth a try.

I took some mass gainer into the 170s hoping to become a giant muscular beast, but I actually just got pretty fat. I did get quite a bit stronger, but I've maintained that in weight loss.

Trying to bulk as a female doesn't work so well. At least, so far I only wish I could eat 3000 calories per day to gain muscle, but it's a so much slower process.

• sblsg and Lil Miss Strawb like this

Accountability

HW: 179.6

LW: 129

CW: 152.6

5'7"

#2 minsoo

minsoo

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1517 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 02:17 PM

how many cals were u eating a day?

#3 TherionDeThanatos

TherionDeThanatos

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1019 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 02:58 PM

I actually don't know, which is probably some of the issue here. My maintenance is 2300 to 2500, so it would be close to 2800-3000. I've learned my lesson from imitating male powerlifters that my results will not be the same, and I should bulk on a tiny surplus if I ever do it again, rather than following bodybuilding diets as they're written.

I know it was a dream, but I was mostly just wondering if anyone else had actually tried it, as I don't really know of women who bulk.

• Lil Miss Strawb likes this

Accountability

HW: 179.6

LW: 129

CW: 152.6

5'7"

#4 sblsg

sblsg

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 11:32 PM

That happened to me. Try reducing calories or working out way harder. I eventually evened out by adding extra muscle groups to my routines. I use to only do one muscle group a day but I do two which helped me burn the extra calories to help build muscle.

#5 hellman

hellman

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 06:49 PM

do a legitimate tested bodybuilding program, like one of layne norton's or "new rules of lifting for women" and eat at a moderate surplus

the strength gains you get at a deficit won't last you too long, my friend

#6 LittleMissBeast305

LittleMissBeast305

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3385 posts
  • LocationAt the gym...

Posted 22 June 2017 - 07:50 PM

I will post my weight tomorrow morning... I'm a female body builder in my bulking stage... After I post my weight I'll also tell you what I've been eating and doing work out wise...
Name: Samantha

Occupation: Railtrail Flatbread Company: Morning Food Prep & Dishwasher

Orientation: Lesbian 🏳️‍🌈👩‍❤️‍💋‍👩💯

Relationship Status: In a relationship (9-12-17) with the most amazing woman ever!

Favorite way to workout: Weight lifting 💪🏽

Favorite exercise/s: Weighted pull ups, Hip thrust, Barbell shoulder press

Favorite food/foods: Lobster drownding in butter, chicken and asparagus and lastly rice crispy treats!

Favorite body part/s: Back, shoulders, biceps

Favorite color/s: Purple, red, teal, lime green, hot pink

Stats:
4'8
SW: 98 lbs
CW: 89.6 lbs (I had to get down to 79 lbs to compete in my figure competition... Took 4th out of 10 women, not to bad for my first competition...)
GW1: 87 lbs
GW2: 85 lbs
GW3: 83 lbs
GW4: 80 lbs

#7 LittleMissBeast305

LittleMissBeast305

Omniscient

• Members
  • 3385 posts
  • LocationAt the gym...

Posted 23 June 2017 - 12:39 PM

Came in this morning naked and after using the restroom at 96.8 lbs... My goal for tomorrow is 97 lbs... Than July 15th, 100 lbs than by th the of July or early August 105 lbs...

My muscles will begin to show less and less as my weight goes up, but as long as my lifts are going up as well and I'm only having a cheat day or 2 a week I won't worry... Sadly you can not build muscles with out putting on some fat as well... And so as long as my stomach stays in the mid to high 20s inch wise I'll know that most of my weight gain is muscle... And I only say this because I'm pear shaped...

I try to eat anywhere from 2000-3000 calories a day... 2000 calories is my "not hungry days" and 3000 are my "bottomless pit days"... I typically average between 2300-2600 calories... I do very little cardio, a 10 minute warm up twice a week before my leg days... I train anywhere from 4-5 days a week....Right now I'm on a 2 days upper & 2 days lower workout routine... Studies show that training to make any muscle grow its best to train it twice a week, so that's what I am doing...

But because of this feeling/looking fat/soft/fluffy/etc period that us body builders have, we also have a leaning out/cutting stage... where we loose anywhere from 20-60 lbs and drop our body fat % by 10% or more... So as long as we don't stay in a forever bulk (I'm talking years here) than we are considered just bulking and not "fat"...

Relationship Status: In a relationship (9-12-17) with the most amazing woman ever!

Favorite food/foods: Lobster drownding in butter, chicken and asparagus and lastly rice crispy treats!

Stats:
4'8
CW: 89.6 lbs (I had to get down to 79 lbs to compete in my figure competition... Took 4th out of 10 women, not to bad for my first competition...)

#8 SmilingPuppet

SmilingPuppet

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 6614 posts
  • LocationLost in the static

Posted 23 June 2017 - 12:59 PM

But because of this feeling/looking fat/soft/fluffy/etc period that us body builders have, we also have a leaning out/cutting stage... where we loose anywhere from 20-60 lbs and drop our body fat % by 10% or more... So as long as we don't stay in a forever bulk (I'm talking years here) than we are considered just bulking and not "fat"...

I know this is kind of random, but I was just curious since my brother is a powerlifter. Do body builders see powerlifters as like 'muscular fat' because (at least in his group) they never work on lowering their body fat percentage or going through cutting phases. My brother looks so bulky that if you didn't know what a muscular form was you might even take him for chubby until you actually felt his body.

#9 LittleMissBeast305

LittleMissBeast305

Omniscient

• Members
  • 3385 posts
  • LocationAt the gym...

Posted 23 June 2017 - 01:30 PM

I know this is kind of random, but I was just curious since my brother is a powerlifter. Do body builders see powerlifters as like 'muscular fat' because (at least in his group) they never work on lowering their body fat percentage or going through cutting phases. My brother looks so bulky that if you didn't know what a muscular form was you might even take him for chubby until you actually felt his body.

I'm an honest person yes we do or at least I do... Not that there is anything wrong with that it's just not my cup of tea to have that look to myself constantly...One of my best friends she competed ummm 2 years ago, took 4th place for her shows... At 5'8 she had 10% body fat and was 130 lbs... She hated it.. She tried cutting for a competition again just last month at 5'8 and 150 lbs and was miserable so she decided she just wants to lift heavy shit & look big as fuck (her words not mine)... I told her to go for it & do it! I personally LOVE seeing every muscle and all my veins showing during a cut, but I do hate when my weights drop because I just can't lift as much anymore, so I get that...
  • SmilingPuppet likes this

Stats:
4'8

#10 SmilingPuppet

SmilingPuppet

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 6614 posts
  • LocationLost in the static

Posted 23 June 2017 - 01:36 PM

I'm an honest person yes we do or at least I do... Not that there is anything wrong with that it's just not my cup of tea to have that look to myself constantly...One of my best friends she competed ummm 2 years ago, took 4th place for her shows... At 5'8 she had 10% body fat and was 130 lbs... She hated it.. She tried cutting for a competition again just last month at 5'8 and 150 lbs and was miserable so she decided she just wants to lift heavy shit & look big as fuck (her words not mine)... I told her to go for it & do it! I personally LOVE seeing every muscle and all my veins showing during a cut, but I do hate when my weights drop because I just can't lift as much anymore, so I get that...

Thanks for answering this honestly. I was just curious because I sometimes I think of him as muscular fat in the same way I'm skinny fat so I wondered if on your side of things it was similar at all. 

#11 Vitriol

Vitriol

Advanced Sage

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1645 posts
  • LocationCuckstralia

Posted 06 July 2017 - 10:15 PM

Lol even as a guy I would never go on a "serious bulk" without at LEAST low dosing steroids. It's silly. All of your fitness idols who are decently lean (not even super ripped) are taking something. Even the girls are low dosing anavar, which is a very mild oral steroid. Most of the guys are taking a decent test base + tren, and fat burners year round. Do you think it's really in the diet and the workout. Bodybuilding is 80% drugs. Boston Lloyd would tell you that. His workout is 20 minutes and he spends his entire day injecting a whole array of compounds into himself while eating a lot of food. Without drugs, these guys, the girls and the fitness industry would collapse. I talked to a friend who was competing in a show the other month and you wouldn't believe how many substances were running in his body at once. Testosterone, trenbolone, t3, var, winstrol. He was 180lbs so not even freaky looking, just very very striated and ripped. He was also only 19. A girl who was competing at a local show was running 50mgs of var a day and suffered bad side effects. It's an unsustainable sport for females and males, but more so for girls because your body just does not have the hormones to support a large amount of lean mass on your body, unless you want to completely virilize your body with male androgens.

Small scale bulking is a lot different. If you maintain on 2000, eat 2300-2400. But that in itself is a huge undertaking because you have very little margin for error. Who knows how many calories you're really burning and who knows what the actual caloric value of the food you're eating. It's really hard to do that, but I try. It's a difficult road. This is why just staying slim with a modest bf% is what we're most capable of.

Choose two:

- natural

- lean

- big

• blobfish likes this

===

===

===

giphy.gif

#12 brego58

brego58

• Accountability access
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 01:47 PM

How much protein were you eating? and what was your program like?

It's possible to bulk as a woman/AFAB person, but it isn't just "take mass gainer and you'll be swole"

Height: 5'9

SW: 170

CW: 164  158

BMI: 24.2 23.2

Weight lost: 12lbs

HW: 172

GW1: 157

GW2: 150
UGW: ?????

#13 PumpedUpKicks

PumpedUpKicks

Warrior

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 02:32 AM

Lol even as a guy I would never go on a "serious bulk" without at LEAST low dosing steroids. It's silly. All of your fitness idols who are decently lean (not even super ripped) are taking something. Even the girls are low dosing anavar, which is a very mild oral steroid. Most of the guys are taking a decent test base + tren, and fat burners year round. Do you think it's really in the diet and the workout. Bodybuilding is 80% drugs. Boston Lloyd would tell you that. His workout is 20 minutes and he spends his entire day injecting a whole array of compounds into himself while eating a lot of food. Without drugs, these guys, the girls and the fitness industry would collapse. I talked to a friend who was competing in a show the other month and you wouldn't believe how many substances were running in his body at once. Testosterone, trenbolone, t3, var, winstrol. He was 180lbs so not even freaky looking, just very very striated and ripped. He was also only 19. A girl who was competing at a local show was running 50mgs of var a day and suffered bad side effects. It's an unsustainable sport for females and males, but more so for girls because your body just does not have the hormones to support a large amount of lean mass on your body, unless you want to completely virilize your body with male androgens.

Small scale bulking is a lot different. If you maintain on 2000, eat 2300-2400. But that in itself is a huge undertaking because you have very little margin for error. Who knows how many calories you're really burning and who knows what the actual caloric value of the food you're eating. It's really hard to do that, but I try. It's a difficult road. This is why just staying slim with a modest bf% is what we're most capable of.
Choose two:
- natural
- lean
- big

Cage
when-u-havent-had-a-mental-breakdown-in-

#14 Guest_MightytheWillow_*

Guest_MightytheWillow_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2018 - 09:45 PM

It is a bit aggravating. I have been eating the right foods (i.e. protein-rich) but it still seems like I'm gaining more fat than muscle, and my performance in the gym hasn't improved notably. I think this is just the nature of bulking. I've gained 7 pounds since beginning my "bulking" phase and am trying to gain a couple more pounds before I settle. Then I'll do a "cutting" phase wherein I try to whip my mass into muscle.

There is a strategy called intermittent fasting, consisting of different types. The 16/8 type is where you eat all your day's calories in an 8-hour window while fasting for the remaining 16 hours. Eat-stop-eat is where you fast for one day and return to eating normally subsequently (once per week is suggested). 5:2 is where you restrict to 500-600 calories twice a week and eat normally the other 5 days. All types stimulate the human growth hormone that influences fat loss and muscle gain. I really want to do this to accelerate my muscle building once I'm at my ideal weight.

EDIT: I just realized this is an old thread. But oh well.

• Explosion-san likes this

#15 Guest_jdxz4_*

Guest_jdxz4_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2018 - 07:49 AM

I know this forum is basically dead, but it's worth a try.

I took some mass gainer into the 170s hoping to become a giant muscular beast, but I actually just got pretty fat. I did get quite a bit stronger, but I've maintained that in weight loss.

Trying to bulk as a female doesn't work so well. At least, so far I only wish I could eat 3000 calories per day to gain muscle, but it's a so much slower process.

When bulking it actually matters what you're eating. You have to eat a lot of clean food. Check out this article for some credible info: https://www.bodybuil...etting-fat.html

Remember that when cutting it's just calories in vs calories out.

#16 Explosion-san

Explosion-san

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 September 2018 - 09:00 AM

It is a bit aggravating. I have been eating the right foods (i.e. protein-rich) but it still seems like I'm gaining more fat than muscle, and my performance in the gym hasn't improved notably. I think this is just the nature of bulking. I've gained 7 pounds since beginning my "bulking" phase and am trying to gain a couple more pounds before I settle. Then I'll do a "cutting" phase wherein I try to whip my mass into muscle.

There is a strategy called intermittent fasting, consisting of different types. The 16/8 type is where you eat all your day's calories in an 8-hour window while fasting for the remaining 16 hours. Eat-stop-eat is where you fast for one day and return to eating normally subsequently (once per week is suggested). 5:2 is where you restrict to 500-600 calories twice a week and eat normally the other 5 days. All types stimulate the human growth hormone that influences fat loss and muscle gain. I really want to do this to accelerate my muscle building once I'm at my ideal weight.

EDIT: I just realized this is an old thread. But oh well.

I've been doing the leangains bulking method for the last 2 months and have got some great results, about 15 lbs gain and a good portion of it muscle. Looking forward to seeing what I look like when I cut back down to 190lbs (around 205 right now).

AmazingFabulousBackswimmer-size_restrict

Explosion!

Male

Height: 6'1.5"

HW: 275lbs

CW: 198lbs

LW: 185lbs

Currently doing a cut

UGW: No idea? Flash a V8 is the goal, being 180lbs would probably help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users