Starting Weight Watchers - WeightWatchers - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Starting Weight Watchers

anorexia restriction

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 AzureEyes

AzureEyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationThe Impala

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:41 PM

I'm going to be starting Weight Watchers, and I was wondering what your experience is with it.
What is it like?
Does it work?
Is it worth it?
Any suggestions if you believe I should start it?

Spoiler

"I'm tired of being called fatty. I'm tired of feeling ugly. I'm tired of not having anyone I can talk to about these issues. And I'm tired of people judging me as though I don't have them."

c6b67a5de9d40d0cef37a3e70e7106a04d637a42

#2 LMNJ

LMNJ

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4987 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:49 PM

I responded yesterday to the thread below this one regarding WW.  And it got me thinking about how it is structured. Will  you do it online or go to the meetings?  I attend Friday morning meetings and have been on it since October and have not had the loss or response I had hoped for. I lost the most weight in January then went sideways and gained some back but gained a lot of inches.  It's a good diet and support system but like any diet there is hard work to be done. I would suggest to not eat your activity points at all. If you are doing simple start (or simply filling) be very wary of portions that are considered super foods and don't necessarily eat them because they are on the "unrestricted" list.  I can probably down 3 cups of brown rice in 1 sitting. I'll never lose weight eating a ton of rice. (And so on).  The meetings are helpful for when you feel lost and need that bit of motivation to stick with it.

We have similar stats. I am 5'2 1/2. I'd love to weigh 115 as well but it just seems elusive with all those flex points that they give you and the endless system of rewards.  I think I am going to have to lower my flex points (everyone gets 49 per week) and ditch some of the "power" foods off my list to promote a greater weight loss.  I really want to arrive at my goal weight (which is undetermined, but anything under 130 would be welcomed at this point in my life!)

Anyway - if you do join, post about it. We can talk about the plan and how you are doing.

• AzureEyes likes this

Don't get stuck in the paralysis of perfection. 

Seeking the ultimate freedom from binge-eating.

CW = 138 (5/24)  //  138.5 (5/23)  //  140 (5/13)   //   141 (5/12)  //   SW=143 (5/7)    //   UGW = 115

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I am  5'2 1/2"  //  51 years young  //   2nd Degree Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do //  HWE = 191 (1998)

#3 AzureEyes

AzureEyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationThe Impala

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:33 PM

I responded yesterday to the thread below this one regarding WW.  And it got me thinking about how it is structured. Will  you do it online or go to the meetings?  I attend Friday morning meetings and have been on it since October and have not had the loss or response I had hoped for. I lost the most weight in January then went sideways and gained some back but gained a lot of inches.  It's a good diet and support system but like any diet there is hard work to be done. I would suggest to not eat your activity points at all. If you are doing simple start (or simply filling) be very wary of portions that are considered super foods and don't necessarily eat them because they are on the "unrestricted" list.  I can probably down 3 cups of brown rice in 1 sitting. I'll never lose weight eating a ton of rice. (And so on).  The meetings are helpful for when you feel lost and need that bit of motivation to stick with it.

We have similar stats. I am 5'2 1/2. I'd love to weigh 115 as well but it just seems elusive with all those flex points that they give you and the endless system of rewards.  I think I am going to have to lower my flex points (everyone gets 49 per week) and ditch some of the "power" foods off my list to promote a greater weight loss.  I really want to arrive at my goal weight (which is undetermined, but anything under 130 would be welcomed at this point in my life!)

Anyway - if you do join, post about it. We can talk about the plan and how you are doing.

I plan to go to the meetings actually, rather than the online version. 
I would adore to keep everyone posted as well, or talk privately. :) 

It sounds pretty good, since the issues I have is knowing what foods are good(Classic Child raised on McDonald's. ick.) because I haven't been exposed to healthy foods before. Not a very healthy family situation. 

And yes, its VERY good our stats are(somewhat) the same! Its always nice because you have someone to relate to more. :)

• Haunt3d likes this
Spoiler

"I'm tired of being called fatty. I'm tired of feeling ugly. I'm tired of not having anyone I can talk to about these issues. And I'm tired of people judging me as though I don't have them."

#4 LMNJ

LMNJ

Omniscient

• Members
  • 4987 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:57 AM

I was lucky to be raised on good foods actually. McD's was considered a treat but overeating and eating foods to rich and high in fat can be problematic. I know I've always overindulged with too big portions. Then I became a binge eater in college and it's been a lifelong struggle.  As I am getting older the literature is telling me I need less calories. Then the experts tell me that I need more calories if I am doing the kind of exercise that I am. Well, which is it? 

My WW meetings are very uplifting. I leave there wanting to succeed and want to lose. Sometimes I do but I've been going sideways the past 2 months. I had traditionally kept a diet journal on FitDay and looked back at when I hot my lowest weight which was about 2 years ago. I was actually happy with my appearance and thought "hey! Not bad!"  Now, I can not fit into most of my sprint outfits and dresses and with each day getting warmer I want to try to take control of my situation and lose the darn weight.

Do you exercise?  I am one of those who actually likes it and does it regularly.

As for WW - I try to look at their recipes and get ideas on how to make food less boring and more flavorful while getting in the best source of nutrition for the least amount of calories and fat. I do a lot of fish and a serving of beef on the weekends.  I stay away from "fake" products, such as fat-free cheese and a lot of the WW processed snack products. Those just trigger me to scarf down more and more and more.  I did find a recipe for black bean burgers from All Recipes that was both easy and healthy. I just make them smaller. Leftovers freeze well and can be microwaved.  

I am on "Simply Filling" technique.  Though lately I do question some of the foods that make the list and have just banned them from my diet so I can produce better results. I need to stay strong. Good luck with the plan. :)

CW = 138 (5/24)  //  138.5 (5/23)  //  140 (5/13)   //   141 (5/12)  //   SW=143 (5/7)    //   UGW = 115

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I am  5'2 1/2"  //  51 years young  //   2nd Degree Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do //  HWE = 191 (1998)

#5 LMNJ

LMNJ

Omniscient

• Members
  • 4987 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 25 April 2014 - 01:21 PM

So at my weigh in this morning, I am down 2 lbs from last week. These are the same 2-3 lbs that I have been gaining and losing back and forth since January.  I know this week, with my serious cut-back in calories and food frequency (I basically ditched dinner), I know I will have another loss.  I can so do this!

Anyway - good luck with the program and joining. We can both find the right way to find ourselves at goal weight.

:)

#6 AzureEyes

AzureEyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationThe Impala

Posted 25 April 2014 - 07:24 PM

So at my weigh in this morning, I am down 2 lbs from last week. These are the same 2-3 lbs that I have been gaining and losing back and forth since January.  I know this week, with my serious cut-back in calories and food frequency (I basically ditched dinner), I know I will have another loss.  I can so do this!

Anyway - good luck with the program and joining. We can both find the right way to find ourselves at goal weight.

:)

Please keep me updated on your own progress! Message me if you can so we can keep each other updated. :) I'm having my first meeting this Saturday, so I'm hoping it will be fun.

Spoiler

#7 LMNJ

LMNJ

Omniscient

• Members
  • 4987 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 02 May 2014 - 01:23 PM

So, I went today and had a 4 lb loss. GREAT! Finally, off the plateau. Last week I had a 2 lb loss. GOOD! Then, during the meeting we were told about the "red flags". That is, if you lose more than 2 lbs per week for 3 weeks in a row, you get "spoken to."  I kept thinking about the post made about WW (just down below on this thread) on how WW embraces a culture of rewards and keeps their members from really not losing, or caught up in a slow loss and gain cycle. It makes sense.  This week, when I drastically re-did my food portions and calories, I had results. Same as the prior week. Better than gaining. 

Then, at the scale, there was a back-up! Why was it taking SO long to get weighed in?  Well, only 2 of the scales were open and not the usual 3. I was told they didn't have the "numbers" last week to dictate that 3rd employee being there.  Numbers, points, dollars. It's really a business as all of the weight-loss clubs and programs. Designed to take your money. I am nearly at goal weight so I am going to declare "Lifetime" and continue to lose. Though, there are numbers associated with THAT. You can only go up or down 2 lbs from your "declared goal." I don't know what the heck to do.

How is it going for you?

#8 AzureEyes

AzureEyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationThe Impala

Posted 03 May 2014 - 02:43 PM

Well I've lost no weight at all. But I'm not going to let it get to me.

Just time to increase my water intake(because I feel I need more) and watch what I'm eating closely :)

Spoiler

#9 LMNJ

LMNJ

Omniscient

• Members
  • 4987 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 04 May 2014 - 10:29 AM

Keep working the program. Choose more whole foods and stay away from the processed items and you will see a drop in weight. You can do it!

• AzureEyes likes this

#10 AzureEyes

AzureEyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationThe Impala

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:27 PM

Just gotta keep going!

Though I cracked and ate a doughnut... Damn it.

Spoiler

#11 LMNJ

LMNJ

Omniscient

• Members
  • 4987 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:39 PM

Did you calculate the points on that? If you do - it will keep you accountable. Trust me, when you see how many points are in those and how many you won't be able to eat now because of that, you'll start to budget better.  I ate 1/2 a donut yesterday and accounted for it. I am still going to be be able to lose this week despite that 1/2.  You will be able to lose too.

Have you seen Jessica Simpson? I wonder how she approached the diet and how she lost the weight. She looks really good. There's a pic of her at the white house dinner in a black and white gown. She looks slim and toned, like she's been working out.  

• AzureEyes likes this

#12 LMNJ

LMNJ

Omniscient

• Members
  • 4987 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:24 PM

I am down 1 lb since last weigh-in. I'll try to not lose anymore for Friday's weigh-in then try agin for another 2 for next week. I am getting close to goal and am finally liking how my body is starting to look.  I have Mother's Day celebration which means a lot of great food. It's lunch and the only meal I'll eat that day but it's definitely foods that I have not eaten in a while.  But - honestly, looking forward to it. Wont be a pig but will enjoy. Good luck at this weeks weigh-in.

• AzureEyes likes this

#13 AzureEyes

AzureEyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationThe Impala

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:58 PM

I am down 1 lb since last weigh-in. I'll try to not lose anymore for Friday's weigh-in then try agin for another 2 for next week. I am getting close to goal and am finally liking how my body is starting to look.  I have Mother's Day celebration which means a lot of great food. It's lunch and the only meal I'll eat that day but it's definitely foods that I have not eaten in a while.  But - honestly, looking forward to it. Wont be a pig but will enjoy. Good luck at this weeks weigh-in.

That's wonderful!!  I'm so proud of you! :) Stay positive, I really enjoy reading about your experience in Weight Watchers.

Spoiler

#14 LMNJ

LMNJ

Omniscient

• Members
  • 4987 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:17 PM

I am down another 1 lb. Now, I am terrified of getting weighed in tomorrow as I might signal a "Red flag" because I am losing too quickly. I am planning a little more food tonight and maybe drink some coffee before I go on the scale.  I don't want to cause any red flags but I don't want to slow down or regain.  I took out my skinny jeans that I have not been able to wear in 2 years and they got up and buttoned. I think they are a tad bit too tight to wear but I am almost into them!!! OMG! A few weeks ago, I could not even get them up or closed.  This is huge!!  Who knew going back to calorie counting and calorie restricting would be the thing that actually helped me lose the weight??  I am finally liking my body and liking what I see. I can see the results of my hard work.

Thanks for the encouragement!  How are you doing?  Right now, I am spending my points on avocado (heathy fat!!) and wheat germ.  I know avocado's are high in fat and calories but they satiate you. So, I eat 1/4 or 1/2 on a salad and it gives me that much more to stay satisfied.  I love wheatgerm on my plain yogurt.  SO good.

Do you cook? Have you tried any of their recipes yet? I have. Some are winners and some are lame. LOL! I do not buy their "treat" products. I would just sit there and eat the entire box in 1 sitting.  Way to easy to trigger a binge.

• AzureEyes likes this

#15 LMNJ

LMNJ

Omniscient

• Members
  • 4987 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 09 May 2014 - 12:48 PM

OK, I ate a little more last night so I would not have more than a 2 lb loss. I got the scale up .5 of a lb so I had a successful weigh-in. I met my 10% goal and got my keychain and charm. I am down 14 lbs. YAY! I am finally fitting back into most of my cloths that had become too tight when I went up to 136 lbs.  SO glad I am back in the 120's and lower 120's too. Now, onto the teens. YAY!!!

• AzureEyes likes this

#16 SkinnyB2014

SkinnyB2014

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationNew York City!

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:22 PM

WW is a slow tedious process and unless you have patience and are happy with losing 1 lb max a week, then it is not for you.
They try to keep you signed up, since that is more money for them, so there is no incentive for them for you to reach your weight loss goal in a speedy fashion. All the celebs that did WW also had personal trainers & personal chefs, so they dud not just do WW, but were paid millions to endorse it. I would say save your money and just count your calories daily yourself. If you want to lose 1 lb a week, then eat 500 calories less each day. If you want to lose 2 lbs a week, then eat 1000 calories less than your daily requirement. For me, doing the ABC diet and extreme calorie restriction, has worked and kept me motivated :)
  • AzureEyes and fluffyButt3rfly like this
5'8
SW - 180 (Nov. 3, 2014)
GW - 140 (Dec. 3, 2014)
UW - 130 (Dec. 24, 2014)
I am a mom of 2 toddlers who "wants her sexy back"!

"Feel your hunger..don't try to ignore it. If you're hungry that means you're losing weight;and that whatever YOU'RE doing is working!
You WANT to be starving. If you're not then you're not doing it right." - skinnybitch.webs.com

..."You can never be too rich or too thin! "

#17 LMNJ

LMNJ

Omniscient

• Members
  • 4987 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:24 PM

WW is a slow tedious process and unless you have patience and are happy with losing 1 lb max a week, then it is not for you.
They try to keep you signed up, since that is more money for them, so there is no incentive for them for you to reach your weight loss goal in a speedy fashion. All the celebs that did WW also had personal trainers & personal chefs, so they dud not just do WW, but were paid millions to endorse it. I would say save your money and just count your calories daily yourself. If you want to lose 1 lb a week, then eat 500 calories less each day. If you want to lose 2 lbs a week, then eat 1000 calories less than your daily requirement. For me, doing the ABC diet and extreme calorie restriction, has worked and kept me motivated :)

Did you read the thread below about WW? I tended to a agree with the long, initial post made about it as well.  She said the same thing as you in regards to them wanting to keep you losing really, really slow so you will pay more. Plus, their store bought foods also keep you in that addictive, slow-losing loop. The moment I went back to calorie counting and then restricted my calories to about 900 a day is when the weight started to fall off and fall off fast. Was I happy! That endless plateau of gaining and losing the same 2 lbs was over! I lost inches! 

Then, much to my dismay, in the throes of happiness of losing the weight, I was told that if you lose more than 2 lbs a week for 3 consecutive weeks you get red flagged - 'cause you are losing too much too fast and they are "concerned" about your health.  Whatever!  LOL! I am very close to goal, so I can declare my goal and lifetime soon and then attend the meetings for free.

I still don't dissuade anyone from joining or trying because if someone has no idea how to form habits, or portions,  WW might be a good starting place. Meetings ARE motivational and people make friends. There are benefits to this.

I do want to add that those who are in the room who are at lifetime really don't have these kick ass bodies and probably look like they can take off another 10 lbs.  :)  

Thanks for your input.

#18 sunny0811

sunny0811

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:13 PM

I've lost 45 lbs on WW. I'm still going to the meetings.

I'm now 116 lbs. I think it's a plan you can do long term. I had a stomach virus last week, so I lost almost 1 1/2 lbs and I'm now outside my BMI of 20. They told me I have to either have a doctor's note, or to regain the weight.

• AzureEyes likes this
CW: 119, BMI: 20.4
UW: 115

"You're only as big as the dream you dare to live"

#19 LMNJ

LMNJ

Omniscient

• Members
  • 4987 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:47 PM

I've lost 45 lbs on WW. I'm still going to the meetings.

I'm now 116 lbs. I think it's a plan you can do long term. I had a stomach virus last week, so I lost almost 1 1/2 lbs and I'm now outside my BMI of 20. They told me I have to either have a doctor's note, or to regain the weight.

How do you feel about regaining the weight? Or do you want to regain the weight to get back to goal weight? 

#20 sunny0811

sunny0811

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:59 PM

I'd like to get back to 118 lbs. But I don't want to go any higher than that.

It sure doesn't allow me any wiggle room. But I am a perfectonist after all.
  • LMNJ likes this
CW: 119, BMI: 20.4
UW: 115

"You're only as big as the dream you dare to live"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: anorexia, restriction

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users