Starting Weight Watchers - Page 2 - WeightWatchers - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Starting Weight Watchers

anorexia restriction

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 sunny0811

sunny0811

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:59 PM

To be honest, they want you to pay money. It took me a year and 6 months to get to 121 lbs. It was a great week if I lost 1 lb. It was rare for me to lose 2 lbs in a week. That was with me eating 26 points a day. This is the minimum number of points allowed that meet your minimum daily nutritional needs. And I didn't use my 49 extra points each week.

Most of the women I see are at least 20 years older than me. Generally they seemmto be ok with weighing more.

Personally I like myself at 120 lbs or less. I'm now 116 lbs and outside my healthy BMI. I am now a flagged case and must gain.
  • AzureEyes likes this
CW: 119, BMI: 20.4
UW: 115

"You're only as big as the dream you dare to live"

#22 LMNJ

LMNJ

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4987 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:04 AM

To be honest, they want you to pay money. It took me a year and 6 months to get to 121 lbs. It was a great week if I lost 1 lb. It was rare for me to lose 2 lbs in a week. That was with me eating 26 points a day. This is the minimum number of points allowed that meet your minimum daily nutritional needs. And I didn't use my 49 extra points each week.

Most of the women I see are at least 20 years older than me. Generally they seemmto be ok with weighing more.

Personally I like myself at 120 lbs or less. I'm now 116 lbs and outside my healthy BMI. I am now a flagged case and must gain.

I am worried about becoming a flagged case as well. Right now, because of Mother's Day and my indulgence, I am probably not going to have a loss this week. I guess that's OK. But I worry about being flagged.

What is your height? I am 5'2 1/2 and am at 121 lbs. I'd love to get to 118 or even 115 and then stop there. (FYI - I am 47 years old.)  When I was younger, I was around 105 lbs and worked hard to keep it there. I can't see myself weighing less than 115 at this point. I do a lot of weight lifting so I know I tend to weight more due to the muscle I've put on.

WW foods are designed to keep you addicted.  There is no real discussion on choosing better points to eat over just fulfilling your points with whatever food you want. I prefer to eat the avocado fully knowing I am spending 4 points on eating that. I'd rather eat a whole food with good fat then the processed, HFCS filled snack in a box they sell for 2 or 3 points per serving.  

Once I started restricting and counting calories these past 3 weeks, I dropped 9 lbs fast and I had a 4 lb loss in 1 week. I also did not take the additional 49 points (I just stopped counting).

Congratulations on the weight you have lost! That is fantastic!!!!! 

Don't get stuck in the paralysis of perfection. 

Seeking the ultimate freedom from binge-eating.

CW = 138 (5/24)  //  138.5 (5/23)  //  140 (5/13)   //   141 (5/12)  //   SW=143 (5/7)    //   UGW = 115

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I am  5'2 1/2"  //  51 years young  //   2nd Degree Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do //  HWE = 191 (1998)

#23 sunny0811

sunny0811

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:35 AM

I am worried about becoming a flagged case as well. Right now, because of Mother's Day and my indulgence, I am probably not going to have a loss this week. I guess that's OK. But I worry about being flagged.
What is your height? I am 5'2 1/2 and am at 121 lbs. I'd love to get to 118 or even 115 and then stop there. (FYI - I am 47 years old.)  When I was younger, I was around 105 lbs and worked hard to keep it there. I can't see myself weighing less than 115 at this point. I do a lot of weight lifting so I know I tend to weight more due to the muscle I've put on.

WW foods are designed to keep you addicted.  There is no real discussion on choosing better points to eat over just fulfilling your points with whatever food you want. I prefer to eat the avocado fully knowing I am spending 4 points on eating that. I'd rather eat a whole food with good fat then the processed, HFCS filled snack in a box they sell for 2 or 3 points per serving.  

Once I started restricting and counting calories these past 3 weeks, I dropped 9 lbs fast and I had a 4 lb loss in 1 week. I also did not take the additional 49 points (I just stopped counting).

This is just my opinion.....for me I've noticed to see a real difference I don't eat any of the 49 extra points a week. I didn't use them during my weight loss. For me those points are for use during something like Thanksgiving or Christmas, when there's a chance you're going to be in a situation you cannot control, as far as foods go. But for me those 49 points are more of a psychological net than anything. I'm 5.4.

For me, to my horror I like looking like a skeleton. I have a health condition too so the less weight in my joints the better. I do want to gain a pound but nothing more.

Congratulations on the weight you have lost! That is fantastic!!!!!

#24 sunny0811

sunny0811

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:38 AM

I accidentally posted my response in with your response...arrrrrrrr!

#25 sunny0811

sunny0811

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:41 AM

Thanks for the compliment.....I'm very proud of my weight loss. ? Its the greatest accomplishment for me..even more than my master's degree. ?

#26 LMNJ

LMNJ

Omniscient

• Members
  • 4987 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:53 PM

I definitely do not eat my activity points and I do rack up a lot of those each week.  You are right - the 49 points should be saved for special occasions. I started to change my thinking a few weeks back and thought that I did not need to take my 7 points a day (I am doing simply filling. simple start technique). The weight came off.  I also have health issues - hypothyroidism, degenerative disc disease and now just recently diagnosed and treated for arthritis in my knee.  

Thanks. I've lost 14.1 lbs since joining WW however, I have a total of 55 lbs lost from 2007 when I started my big weight loss journey. It can be done!

• AzureEyes likes this

CW = 138 (5/24)  //  138.5 (5/23)  //  140 (5/13)   //   141 (5/12)  //   SW=143 (5/7)    //   UGW = 115

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I am  5'2 1/2"  //  51 years young  //   2nd Degree Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do //  HWE = 191 (1998)

#27 sunny0811

sunny0811

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:21 PM

I've read that as you get older, your metabolism slows. So, in theory, you really don't need to eat as much as a teenager would. Am I right?

#28 LMNJ

LMNJ

Omniscient

• Members
  • 4987 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:39 PM

I've read that as you get older, your metabolism slows. So, in theory, you really don't need to eat as much as a teenager would. Am I right?

Yes, this is true. At my gyno appointment last year she tells me we need 200 calories less per day. At first I was angry and in denial. Didn't lose weight. Then I took those calories away and presto - weight lost!  I realize I do need to eat less despite being active. It's taking some getting used to, but on a daily basis, I'm definitely under 1000 calories instead of 1200-1400. BIG difference. 

#29 LMNJ

LMNJ

Omniscient

• Members
  • 4987 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:21 AM

OK, so I had my weekly weigh-in and meeting. I stayed exactly the same as last week. I am happy about that because I have been unable to maintain a loss for a while. After the feast I ate on Mother's Day, the scale was slow to show a loss. My scale showed a 2 lb  increase and I have only been able to take 1 lb off. WW scales said I was the same. This is also good because there will be no red flag. So, I can lose again over the next 2 weeks through restriction then taper back the following week.  Finally, weight loss that is sticking. I am loving this!!!! :)

Forgot to mention that I got my 10% charms last week.  YAY!!!!!

• AzureEyes likes this

#30 sunny0811

sunny0811

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:21 PM

Yes, this is true. At my gyno appointment last year she tells me we need 200 calories less per day. At first I was angry and in denial. Didn't lose weight. Then I took those calories away and presto - weight lost!  I realize I do need to eat less despite being active. It's taking some getting used to, but on a daily basis, I'm definitely under 1000 calories instead of 1200-1400. BIG difference.

Congrats on the weight loss...that's awesome! You go girl!

Ok, I thought that was right...I just don't want to be eating so few calories that I'm burning off everything I'm consuming. Due to the economy I have 2 part time jobs. Both are physical jobs. I never thought I'd ever be in this position, but it would be 50 times harder if I were heavy.

You're right...once you take the calories away, eat good and excercise, weight comes off....simple as that.

#31 LMNJ

LMNJ

Omniscient

• Members
  • 4987 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:06 PM

OK, where is Falling-Angelz? I hope you are doing well and will check-in on your own thread.  :)

I'm hoping for a 1 lb loss this week. I want to see 120. After that, it will be new territory for me since I was in my 20's. I saw 119 about 2 years ago but that was only for 1 weigh-in and never again. So, anything lower than 120 will be very exciting. Which is why I was glad for the maintenance since I have been unable to maintain any loss that I have had in a long time. My body likes to set at 130ish, so pushing past that and maintaining it is really an accomplishment.

Here's to a successful week for all of us.  :)

#32 sunny0811

sunny0811

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:52 AM

I jave a feeling that my body would have a set point of 130 lbs. I definitely dont want that.

#33 AzureEyes

AzureEyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationThe Impala

Posted 17 May 2014 - 11:44 AM

So I gained weight on Weight Watchers... which... yeah I am not happy at all. 240 pounds. I'm just... no.

Spoiler

"I'm tired of being called fatty. I'm tired of feeling ugly. I'm tired of not having anyone I can talk to about these issues. And I'm tired of people judging me as though I don't have them."

c6b67a5de9d40d0cef37a3e70e7106a04d637a42

#34 LMNJ

LMNJ

Omniscient

• Members
  • 4987 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:33 PM

So I gained weight on Weight Watchers... which... yeah I am not happy at all. 240 pounds. I'm just... no.

Are you counting points or doing Simple Start/ Simply Filling?  Definitely do not eat your activity points and find healthy foods to make up your flex points. Things such as almonds, avocados, and wheatgerm. They are all points but they are better choices than snack foods.  I found that I needed to not take all my flex points and to go back to counting calories. I stopped eating bananas and do not eat from the oatmeal, oat bran, reduced calorie bread section anymore. Those foods are gone.  I also don't do any "fat-free" cheese or dairy type of products that are fake. I do eat a lot of plain, non-fat Greek yogurt because it is just SO yummy.

I also advise you to talk to your leader and gently go over your food plan from the past week. Use the paper trackers they give to you and write everything down. You may have made a mistake regarding calculating points.  I know you can do this. Hang in there.

#35 LMNJ

LMNJ

Omniscient

• Members
  • 4987 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:41 PM

UGH, OK, so I had a weekend where my husband was home both nights. I've pretty much been skipping dinner which ha cut out like 400 calories out of my daily diet. I just eat a grapefruit for dinner and deal with it. But he was home and that's great, but I ate more calories than I wanted. I also overnight gained 3 lbs. I am due for my period, perhaps the extra food from the carb group plus salt could explain the gain. I did not eat 7000 additional calories and I went to the gym on Saturday and did a 30 mile bike ride today along the Delaware River. So, I was active.  I am so glad I can go back to restricting tomorrow and for the rest of the week. All I know is next weekend is Memorial Day and it's a 3 day weekend. I got to figure out what to do and how to restrict with him being around. He doesn't care if I eat a lot less than him but it looks odd if I just don't eat. Plus, I was ravenous after that darn bike ride.

OK--I am not going to get upset over any of this. I did not binge (I have BED) and the foods that I ddi eat were good foods. And I exercised - a lot.

:::Calming down:::::

#36 LMNJ

LMNJ

Omniscient

• Members
  • 4987 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:13 AM

Well, I am back on track and took off that nasty and unwanted 3 lb gain! It's gone. I was doing the snoopy dance as soon as I got off the scale. So, I am back down to 121. YES!!!!!  My next goal is 120 and of course, to continue to keep off what I have lost. This is important.  I have not ventured into the "teens" in a long time so going there and staying there will be all sorts of new challenges for me. I am definitely looking forward to it and seeing what I can accomplish. YAY!!!!

#37 fluffyButt3rfly

fluffyButt3rfly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:49 AM

I've started WW myself a little while ago - a few friends and I have created our own meetings, and do our own weigh-in. (We've done it before, on one plan or another, so we all have the material.)  We still get the support without someone breathing down our necks!

#38 LMNJ

LMNJ

Omniscient

• Members
  • 4987 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 20 May 2014 - 03:05 PM

That's great. Do you meet at someones home to do your meetings? Anyone can do WW as it's a simple formula to determine points. It seems the entire package is what is motivating. The meetings, the literature, the reward charms you get. It's kind of a nice feeling.  I just discovered about the "red flag" cases and was worried I would end up that way and become a case that needed talking to. Thank goodness Mother's Day and all that food showed no gain but also no loss on the scale. This week is going to be winning though. YAY!!!!

#39 LMNJ

LMNJ

Omniscient

• Members
  • 4987 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 23 May 2014 - 06:41 PM

I had my weigh in and lost .6 lbs. Not bad but not the full pound that I was hoping for. I've been at 121 since May 8th an am looking to see some movement but am uncertain how to achieve that. Any thoughts?  

Today I stayed late and talked to another member. She is basically my height and said she started at 191. Oddly, 191 was my highest weight ever. We talked about how much we used to eat and how easy it was but now. a lot of those foods are not a turn-on and the quantities we used to eat would make us sick now. I also don't buy any of the packaged WW foods and I do not eat from the bread power food list. I do not eat fat-free dairy products (too fake).  I am consistent with exercise as well. But not able to bump this weight down.

This is a holiday weekend and already I know what I am going to eat and there are going to be some high-ticket items, so I may not see a loss at all. Probably not a gain, but not a loss.  :(  I know I gotta keep on going and restricting and I will get to my next weight loss goal.  

#40 sunny0811

sunny0811

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:30 PM

I started maintenance and I have gained .8 lbs..not too bad, but I'm still a little nervous.
  • LMNJ likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: anorexia, restriction

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users