Starting Weight Watchers - Page 3 - WeightWatchers - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Starting Weight Watchers

anorexia restriction

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#41 Karlz

Karlz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationUK North East Lincolnshire

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:08 AM

I use the pro points weight watchers system all the time although I'm obsessed by it. I brought the pack offline as I'm below the weight to go to a meeting but I like the structure and helps me keep on track. I had good results on this but I admit I don't do it in a healthy way. I have posted few threads on this subject already. I would personally use it as u can have a variety of foods and stay healthy but in my case it's a way of counting calories easier. 1 pro point is around 40 calories and I limit myself to 10points a day so 400cals not including non starchy fruit veg. The min your meant to have is 26 points bug this is to much for me the max I go is 20 so works out 800cals and I even do the 2468 diet in terms of points so 5,10,15,20. If u haven't already got a full blown ED try and stay healthy with it as if u eat the amount u should weight loss will be slower but will stay off longer however bit ironic for me to say as I said in obsessed with it I no the points of everything have list of. Points everywhere and work everything I eat out in terms of points I decide whether I eat or don't eat things in terms of its points value so what was meant to help me eat healthier has actually done the opposite and has fuelled my ED even more but then I think it depends on the person I'm obsessive in everything I do so therefore weight watchers has become my obsession :)
  • LMNJ likes this

#42 .:BabyJane:.

.:BabyJane:.

Guru

• Supporter
  • 488 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 29 May 2014 - 03:03 AM

Maybe I'm slow, but what is the difference between counting points and counting calories?

X9yCbbw.png

Spoiler

#43 LMNJ

LMNJ

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4987 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:18 AM

I started maintenance and I have gained .8 lbs..not too bad, but I'm still a little nervous.

WTG! Congrats on maintenance. .8 gain is nothing. Our bodies fluctuate so this is really not much to worry about. I am SO close to lifetime/goal weight and of course, I overate this past holiday weekend and am up a pound. UGH! I can't wait to get rid of the rain and move on towards my goal. I am 4-5 lbs away. SO close.  Keep up the great work!  :)

Don't get stuck in the paralysis of perfection. 

Seeking the ultimate freedom from binge-eating.

CW = 138 (5/24)  //  138.5 (5/23)  //  140 (5/13)   //   141 (5/12)  //   SW=143 (5/7)    //   UGW = 115

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I am  5'2 1/2"  //  51 years young  //   2nd Degree Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do //  HWE = 191 (1998)

#44 LMNJ

LMNJ

Omniscient

• Members
  • 4987 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:22 AM

I use the pro points weight watchers system all the time although I'm obsessed by it. I brought the pack offline as I'm below the weight to go to a meeting but I like the structure and helps me keep on track. I had good results on this but I admit I don't do it in a healthy way. I have posted few threads on this subject already. I would personally use it as u can have a variety of foods and stay healthy but in my case it's a way of counting calories easier. 1 pro point is around 40 calories and I limit myself to 10points a day so 400cals not including non starchy fruit veg. The min your meant to have is 26 points bug this is to much for me the max I go is 20 so works out 800cals and I even do the 2468 diet in terms of points so 5,10,15,20. If u haven't already got a full blown ED try and stay healthy with it as if u eat the amount u should weight loss will be slower but will stay off longer however bit ironic for me to say as I said in obsessed with it I no the points of everything have list of. Points everywhere and work everything I eat out in terms of points I decide whether I eat or don't eat things in terms of its points value so what was meant to help me eat healthier has actually done the opposite and has fuelled my ED even more but then I think it depends on the person I'm obsessive in everything I do so therefore weight watchers has become my obsession :)

I am at about 22 points per day and don't take that many additional flex points. Maybe 2 a day. I don't eat my exercise points either. I found lowering my points produced a better weight loss and getting to where I want to be. I am not underweight. For WW, 113 is the lowest I can go for my height. I doubt I'll ever see that  number seeing it's a struggle to get to 120 but you never know. I can change that up.

:)  Thanks for the insight.  I appreciated this.

CW = 138 (5/24)  //  138.5 (5/23)  //  140 (5/13)   //   141 (5/12)  //   SW=143 (5/7)    //   UGW = 115

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I am  5'2 1/2"  //  51 years young  //   2nd Degree Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do //  HWE = 191 (1998)

#45 Karlz

Karlz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 01:37 AM

Maybe I'm slow, but what is the difference between counting points and counting calories?

#46 Karlz

Karlz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 01:46 AM

Really there's not a difference it's just a system that makes the counting of calories easier but it's not exact. Food has point values that is calculated according to the amounts of protein fat fiber carbs etc I don't no the exact formula but in general around 40 calories is one pro point doesn't always work out but only prob is something say that is 57 calories can come out as 1 pro point but if u ate 2 of these things will round up and become 3 pro points so like I said it's not an exact way of working out the exact amount of calories but for me it makes it a little easier as using whole numbers rather than odd bits here and there. I'm not an expert on the science of it but this is the system I use. Also apps that u can download that u can input the values of food and will give u it's point value. Hope this helps to explain but in terms of ur question there's no difference it's a calorie controlling system just made a little easier. :)

#47 sunny0811

sunny0811

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 01 June 2014 - 11:32 AM

WTG! Congrats on maintenance. .8 gain is nothing. Our bodies fluctuate so this is really not much to worry about. I am SO close to lifetime/goal weight and of course, I overate this past holiday weekend and am up a pound. UGH! I can't wait to get rid of the rain and move on towards my goal. I am 4-5 lbs away. SO close.  Keep up the great work!  :)

So close..keep going....you can do it!...I got a new job that will be more sedentary, so I'm a little nervous, but I think if I workout 3.4 times a week like I did before I got my two part time jobs, ill be ok.

Keep up the good work!
  • LMNJ likes this
CW: 119, BMI: 20.4
UW: 115

"You're only as big as the dream you dare to live"

#48 LMNJ

LMNJ

Omniscient

• Members
  • 4987 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:23 PM

So close..keep going....you can do it!...I got a new job that will be more sedentary, so I'm a little nervous, but I think if I workout 3.4 times a week like I did before I got my two part time jobs, ill be ok.

Keep up the good work!

Not sure of you are still out there or the original poster. So, I had stalled on my weight loss then it started to pick back up recently as I have ben doing the Skinny Girl Diet. It's a lot like their "Simple Start" plan only there are no 0 point foods/ of "free foods" from the bread, dairy and protein/meat sections. It's unlimited vegetables and fruits, just like WW but the other items you count the calories. I am finding this a lot more effective for weight loss.  How have you been?  How is the new job and have you acclimated to it?  

#49 LMNJ

LMNJ

Omniscient

• Members
  • 4987 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:24 PM

I'm going to be starting Weight Watchers, and I was wondering what your experience is with it.
What is it like?
Does it work?
Is it worth it?
Any suggestions if you believe I should start it?

Girl - just checking in to see if you are still doing WW and how you have been. I hope you are well and enjoying the beginning of  summer so far.

#50 LMNJ

LMNJ

Omniscient

• Members
  • 4987 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:13 PM

Lost 2.8 on the WW scales this morning. So close to lifetime goal!!! Just checking-in here!!

#51 sunny0811

sunny0811

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:09 AM

Not sure of you are still out there or the original poster. So, I had stalled on my weight loss then it started to pick back up recently as I have ben doing the Skinny Girl Diet. It's a lot like their "Simple Start" plan only there are no 0 point foods/ of "free foods" from the bread, dairy and protein/meat sections. It's unlimited vegetables and fruits, just like WW but the other items you count the calories. I am finding this a lot more effective for weight loss.  How have you been?  How is the new job and have you acclimated to it?  

The new job is good so far, thanks for asking. I'm still maintaining. I started maintenance for the last month. I've ate 30-32 points each day and it's been good. I weighed in the other day and I'm at 116 lbs. I had had my period and gained 2.4 lbs, which I haven't done in a long time. I was 119 lbs after gaining that.

I then dropped my daily points to 30,excercised 4 days that week and lost 3.6 lbs, which is the most I've ever lost in one week. I was 115.8 lbs afterwards. This week I gained .2 lbs, bringing me to 116 lbs.

I'm very happy, though WW isn't. For me, once I'm 117 lbs, my BMI is 19.7, or something like that. And you know WW doesn't like that!

• LMNJ likes this

#52 LMNJ

LMNJ

Omniscient

• Members
  • 4987 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:49 PM

The new job is good so far, thanks for asking. I'm still maintaining. I started maintenance for the last month. I've ate 30-32 points each day and it's been good. I weighed in the other day and I'm at 116 lbs. I had had my period and gained 2.4 lbs, which I haven't done in a long time. I was 119 lbs after gaining that.

I then dropped my daily points to 30,excercised 4 days that week and lost 3.6 lbs, which is the most I've ever lost in one week. I was 115.8 lbs afterwards. This week I gained .2 lbs, bringing me to 116 lbs.

I'm very happy, though WW isn't. For me, once I'm 117 lbs, my BMI is 19.7, or something like that. And you know WW doesn't like that!

Sunny - GREAT to hear from you. OK, so I went to the July 3rd meeting because my usual meeting on the 4th was canceled for the holiday. So, like a good little girl, I went early and weighed in.  Something triggered me. The meeting plus the pressure of the holiday and all that food. Yep, I binged. I drove straight to CVS (drug store) and bought a special peanut butter Oreo package and a giant Reece's peanut butter filled chocolate bar. And ate everything in like 20 minutes fat. SO GOOD! Then entire weekend, I ate. I went up to as much as 120.5 then lost the weight and am down to 117 as of this week. I am going to weigh in tomorrow morning and see where I am at and probably declare my goal weight with my leader then head into maintenance so I won't have to pay them anymore. They can not do anything for me anymore. I know what I need to do for my body and the weight and way I want to look. I do enjoy the meetings and the women but it's time to break away. I'll still continue to lose on my own. I probably won't go below 113 on their scales which is the cut-off for someone my height. That's about 110 on my scales. And when I get lower than my "goal weight" I'll just drink coffee, eat breakfast and wear jeans for the weigh-in. That should level me out enough.

Yep - WW wants to keep  you in a slow cycle and the ebb and flow cycle of gain and lose 1-2 lbs.  Cha ching! They make money off that process as well as their fake food bars and drinks at those ridiculous prices.

Anyway.  Glad to hear from you. 

#53 Guest_Fatstupidgirl120_*

Guest_Fatstupidgirl120_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:16 PM

I used to go to weight watch but was not work for me so I moved to slimming world

#54 LMNJ

LMNJ

Omniscient

• Members
  • 4987 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 25 July 2014 - 02:45 PM

I finally hit goal weight (on their scale) and am in the maintenance phase. I just want to end this cycle of paying them. I am still going to lose weight on my own but I just don't want to pay anymore. They can no longer help me and I am pretty much at a good weight right now. YAY!

• InnerMadness likes this

#55 sunny0811

sunny0811

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 01 September 2014 - 12:01 AM

Sunny - GREAT to hear from you. OK, so I went to the July 3rd meeting because my usual meeting on the 4th was canceled for the holiday. So, like a good little girl, I went early and weighed in.  Something triggered me. The meeting plus the pressure of the holiday and all that food. Yep, I binged. I drove straight to CVS (drug store) and bought a special peanut butter Oreo package and a giant Reece's peanut butter filled chocolate bar. And ate everything in like 20 minutes fat. SO GOOD! Then entire weekend, I ate. I went up to as much as 120.5 then lost the weight and am down to 117 as of this week. I am going to weigh in tomorrow morning and see where I am at and probably declare my goal weight with my leader then head into maintenance so I won't have to pay them anymore. They can not do anything for me anymore. I know what I need to do for my body and the weight and way I want to look. I do enjoy the meetings and the women but it's time to break away. I'll still continue to lose on my own. I probably won't go below 113 on their scales which is the cut-off for someone my height. That's about 110 on my scales. And when I get lower than my "goal weight" I'll just drink coffee, eat breakfast and wear jeans for the weigh-in. That should level me out enough.

Yep - WW wants to keep  you in a slow cycle and the ebb and flow cycle of gain and lose 1-2 lbs.  Cha ching! They make money off that process as well as their fake food bars and drinks at those ridiculous prices.

Anyway.  Glad to hear from you.

Its great to hear from you too. I had to go to my doctors to get. A letter from her on letterhead stating the weight she wants me to be. A BMI. Isnt enough for weight watchers. So i got the letter so no one will bother me. The doc also considers me to be 5.3 in height, not 5.4. But the doc did say that she doesn't want me going below 115 lbs.

Im so glad you're doing good despite the little slip up. Im coming off my period and haven't been weighed in a week.

Keep up the momentum! I promise to post more often.

Its too bad we cant meet for coffee...

#56 LMNJ

LMNJ

Omniscient

• Members
  • 4987 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:36 AM

Its great to hear from you too. I had to go to my doctors to get. A letter from her on letterhead stating the weight she wants me to be. A BMI. Isnt enough for weight watchers. So i got the letter so no one will bother me. The doc also considers me to be 5.3 in height, not 5.4. But the doc did say that she doesn't want me going below 115 lbs.

Im so glad you're doing good despite the little slip up. Im coming off my period and haven't been weighed in a week.

Keep up the momentum! I promise to post more often.

Its too bad we cant meet for coffee...

Hi again - long time. I hope you enjoyed the summer.  I reached goal weight at WW. I picked 120 on their scale so that way I could stop paying them. I stopped counting points and went back to counting calories and calorie restricting. I made my goal weight that way and not by eating all the food that they want you to. It made more sense for me and I was able to be successful. I am hoping to do the maintenance for the month of September and than become lifetime so I don't have to pay anymore. I like the meetings and can work those into my schedule.

On my scale, I've managed to get to 115. This is great for me! It's slow, but it is steady and I am able to not only take it off but keep it off. That has always been a problem in the past - was keeping it off. I would get so complacent and cocky that I felt I could "eat anything" and it would just come right back on. I still suffer from BED and have the occasional binge but am very good at counter balancing the calories and doing immediate damage control.

I know - coffee would sound great.  :)  I am glad you got the doctors note to keep them off your back. Are you at goal weight? Are you happy with what you see? Right now, I am in a good place mentally. I think I am looking slim and feeling great about my loss. My body isn't what is used to be due to age and the fact that I was obese. I have problem areas that I continue to work on. Surgery would fix that but I am not in the financial situation to go and do that. So, exercise and eating right is making the progress happen.

Have a wonderful day. See you here soon.  :)

#57 sunny0811

sunny0811

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:47 PM

Hi again - long time. I hope you enjoyed the summer.  I reached goal weight at WW. I picked 120 on their scale so that way I could stop paying them. I stopped counting points and went back to counting calories and calorie restricting. I made my goal weight that way and not by eating all the food that they want you to. It made more sense for me and I was able to be successful. I am hoping to do the maintenance for the month of September and than become lifetime so I don't have to pay anymore. I like the meetings and can work those into my schedule.

On my scale, I've managed to get to 115. This is great for me! It's slow, but it is steady and I am able to not only take it off but keep it off. That has always been a problem in the past - was keeping it off. I would get so complacent and cocky that I felt I could "eat anything" and it would just come right back on. I still suffer from BED and have the occasional binge but am very good at counter balancing the calories and doing immediate damage control.

I know - coffee would sound great.  :)  I am glad you got the doctors note to keep them off your back. Are you at goal weight? Are you happy with what you see? Right now, I am in a good place mentally. I think I am looking slim and feeling great about my loss. My body isn't what is used to be due to age and the fact that I was obese. I have problem areas that I continue to work on. Surgery would fix that but I am not in the financial situation to go and do that. So, exercise and eating right is making the progress happen.

Have a wonderful day. See you here soon.  :)

I am glad you're doing good. Yes, on the whole im very happy with my body. There is a part of me that would like to be 110 or 105 lbs, but that's not in the cards for me. I love food and love to eat. I had another doc tell me that if you want to stay at a specific weight as you age, you need to exercise. More than you eat. In other words, you need to burn off almost everything you eat, or close to it. If i were ok with being 125 or 130 lbs, id eat what i want. But it seems to take so little to gain it back.

I know how it feels to want to modify your body in other ways. I feel my boobs are still too big. But i dont have any extra money either.

#58 LMNJ

LMNJ

Omniscient

• Members
  • 4987 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:55 AM

I am glad you're doing good. Yes, on the whole im very happy with my body. There is a part of me that would like to be 110 or 105 lbs, but that's not in the cards for me. I love food and love to eat. I had another doc tell me that if you want to stay at a specific weight as you age, you need to exercise. More than you eat. In other words, you need to burn off almost everything you eat, or close to it. If i were ok with being 125 or 130 lbs, id eat what i want. But it seems to take so little to gain it back.

I know how it feels to want to modify your body in other ways. I feel my boobs are still too big. But i dont have any extra money either.

Yes! It is very easy to regain at this age. I go out for 1 night and indulge and the scale is right back up.  I do exercise, every day, and I put a lot of effort into it. I do enjoy it so I do not see it as a burden. But I also do not want to be a slave to it.  When I am not feeling well and can not exercise, I do expect a gain because of what you mentioned - we need to burn it off. It's not ideal, but it does happen at times. And it upsets and frustrates me. 

Are you still counting points? I stopped doing that in April or May and went back to calorie counting and using my FitDay food journal. I followed the Skinny Girl Diet which is almost like the "Simple Start" just sans the bread and dairy categories. I liked that structure a lot and count my yogurt calories. I rarely eat bread or anything starchy but when I do, it's an indulgence and it's counted. Yikes!!!

This weekend was my mom's b-day. I made her a red velvet cake and yep - I ate 3 slices. You heard me. Gosh, it was SO good.  :)  I'm up 2 lbs already and will go right back to restricting and take it off.  There are times in this life where cake is OK.  :)  My b-day is next, coming in October. I'm gonna eat a BIG piece or 2 of my cake.  Take care!

#59 Topoli

Topoli

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3994 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:32 PM

Hello ladies!
I'm glad to find this part of the forum!

I'm doing WW for the last 12 days but unlike everyone else posting on this thread, having trouble staying under my Points limit!
To complicate things, I started back to work 2 days after starting the program, after 6 weeks off work for foot surgery. The demanding job & the long commute are still wearing me out so I've been hungry a lot, and have to mind my pesky blood-sugar.
I'll do better when I start meal-planning better.

I'm over 50, so I suppose my body doesn't think I need to lose weight. 5' 3.75", and weighed in this morn at 201.
My weight just bounces up and down!

I'm not going to meetings - my schedule makes it awkward to attend, but I'm doing the online tracking, which is rather fun.
At least it makes me accountable!

I used to do the program when it was all about ounce portions, this many of starch, that many of protein, etc. We checked off little boxes. I did better at it than now, with the occasional candy bar. But I was way younger then, and more active.
I'll up the activity when my foot is more healed...
  • BeautyStings likes this

Height: 5'3.875" / 1m 62 cm / Goal weight: 130 lbs

"We all know the moral of the fable about the tortoise and the hare – perseverance beats speed." -- David Cottrell (Author)

My rambling accountability thread, sometimes diary-like (some copied from OG monthly thread posts) gripes, rants, etc.- I'm honored to have followers! ;)
https://www.myproana...accountability/ 

Current weight and goals...

Spoiler

Stats, etc:
Spoiler

73318948.png The MFP ticker doesn't work anymore...

Pounds to go to 1st major goal of 200! (Really 199 lbs.)

#60 LMNJ

LMNJ

Omniscient

• Members
  • 4987 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 04 September 2014 - 11:24 AM

Hello ladies!
I'm glad to find this part of the forum!

I'm doing WW for the last 12 days but unlike everyone else posting on this thread, having trouble staying under my Points limit!
To complicate things, I started back to work 2 days after starting the program, after 6 weeks off work for foot surgery. The demanding job & the long commute are still wearing me out so I've been hungry a lot, and have to mind my pesky blood-sugar.
I'll do better when I start meal-planning better.

I'm over 50, so I suppose my body doesn't think I need to lose weight. 5' 3.75", and weighed in this morn at 201.
My weight just bounces up and down!

I'm not going to meetings - my schedule makes it awkward to attend, but I'm doing the online tracking, which is rather fun.
At least it makes me accountable!

I used to do the program when it was all about ounce portions, this many of starch, that many of protein, etc. We checked off little boxes. I did better at it than now, with the occasional candy bar. But I was way younger then, and more active.
I'll up the activity when my foot is more healed...

Nice to have you here. It's a slow thread. I am still doing WW, but mostly now just for the meetings because I like going there. LOL!!!!  If you have a smart phone the app helps track.

Are you tracking all points or doing Simple Start?  Good luck!  :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: anorexia, restriction

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users