Any fellow equestrians struggling? - Exercise - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Any fellow equestrians struggling?

Horse riding Equestrian Eating disorders Challenges Sport Horses Lifestyle Competing Ponies

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Emilyxo

Emilyxo

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1172 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 29 May 2017 - 08:12 AM

So, like the title says, is there anybody else who competes in the equestrian world either jumping, dressage eventing or western? Or do you ride for fun?
I'd love to hear if you think that "unhealthy eating habits" get in your way! I find it difficult to be strong enough to cope with my horses daily and compete without dying 😂
Once again on my road to self destruction 🤦‍♀️

#2 Mu5tbethin

Mu5tbethin

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 30 May 2017 - 06:47 AM

I ride English for fun, there have been times when I've had to get off due to being dizzy from not eating enough, I do make sure I have a snack before I go to the yard, even just a 85cal fibre bar helps
  • Emilyxo likes this
♥︎Never call a girl fat because you don't know how far she'll go to prove you wrong ♥︎

#3 illnevertell

illnevertell

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 May 2017 - 11:49 AM

Yep! I work as a barn manager running a 30 horse training facility. And ride competitively with my Paint horses in all around events and my one arabian in dressage. I used to ride 3-day until I injured my back and quit jumping.

They do get in the way on occasion. It's hard to ride when you are dizzy. I switched to higher restricting on the days I ride and that helps a lot. Also the amount of money I spend on show clothes for a season is good incentive to maintain rather than spiral too fast. I can't afford to replace them more than once a season! 87dae3d874f885d70ec6dd49022a54fa.jpgc3f4933aa2fcb7260d47a4c90e1f62ae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Emilyxo likes this

----------------------

Currently Relapsing again...

----------------------

#4 KnobbyKnees

KnobbyKnees

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 12:16 PM

I hope this makes you laugh, I read the title and for two seconds thought you meant, My little pony fans, like bronies and equestria girls XD 

I've only ever taken 1-2 lessons in my life though and that was for western riding, I'd like to get into it again though :-) 

• Emilyxo and rarity like this

Height: 5'6.5" - 5'7" ish  

Frame: Medium           

Body Type: Mesomorph  Body Shape: Spoon?   

High Weight: 164.5

Current Weight: 158  As of 5/10/2017

Normal Weight:  145

Goal Weight 1: 145

Goal Weight 2:  134.1 

Ultimate Goal Weight: 127 - 130 I'll decide when I get there.

Low Weight: I can't remember but I know it was below 117 lbs.

Rewards for reaching my goal weight(s): 

GW1: 155 - Get a new semi-expensive nail polish I wouldn't normally purchase

GW2: 150 - Get a new pair of tights or socks from sockdreams.com

GW3: 145 - Order one or two cool fitted t-shirts from one of my favorite online stores I usually look at but rarely/never buy from. 

GW4: 140 - A new pair of Motorcycle boots 

GW5: 135 - A pair of Vivienne Westwood orb earrings as similar as possible to the ones in NANA

GW6: 130 - Purchase a beautiful dress from Freepeople/Madewell/Urban outfitters/Anthropolgie

UGW: 127 - Go on a sexy weekend getaway with my partner :-3  

*Bonus* get a Margot Elena Perfume and lotion if you can make it to 145 by Mid-June

#5 thedoctorscook

thedoctorscook

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 11:32 AM

I ride for fun and decided that since my boy Bandit is way lazy, he'll like me better around 100 lbs. I'm not good at consistent restriction, so haven't had struggles with riding per se. I concur with the riding gear being expensive.

• Emilyxo likes this

#6 Emilyxo

Emilyxo

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1172 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 01 June 2017 - 06:23 AM

I haven't seen my little pony in years oh my god😂 That cheered up my morning!!

#7 Emilyxo

Emilyxo

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1172 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 01 June 2017 - 06:26 AM

thedoctorscook I will also agree with the price of equestrian gear! I have a really nice pair of competition white jodhpurs that cost me like €200, but they're age 12 and tiny! Instead of selling them I'm aiming to fit into them at some stage and use them as my lucky competition jodhs! And what's even worse is the cost of keeping god damn horses, like I mean I love them and wouldn't swap them for anything but €75 for shoes every 8 weeks per horse.. I could be a millionaire!!!!
  • thedoctorscook likes this

#8 Emilyxo

Emilyxo

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1172 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 01 June 2017 - 06:29 AM

Yep! I work as a barn manager running a 30 horse training facility. And ride competitively with my Paint horses in all around events and my one arabian in dressage. I used to ride 3-day until I injured my back and quit jumping.
They do get in the way on occasion. It's hard to ride when you are dizzy. I switched to higher restricting on the days I ride and that helps a lot. Also the amount of money I spend on show clothes for a season is good incentive to maintain rather than spiral too fast. I can't afford to replace them more than once a season! 87dae3d874f885d70ec6dd49022a54fa.jpgc3f4933aa2fcb7260d47a4c90e1f62ae.jpg

I used to work in a yard similar to yours except I had to teach dreaded pony camp during the summer... I don't know how I did it without some sort of mental breakdown Now I just concentrate on my own because it's not worth the stress Ironically I've started to study psychiatric nursing rather than anything equestrian related! A mentally unwell nurse dealing with mentally unwell patients

#9 Emilyxo

Emilyxo

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1172 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 01 June 2017 - 06:31 AM

My two and only friends 😂

Attached Files

#10 thedoctorscook

thedoctorscook

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 06:43 AM

fe2354ce20041e641f33d0346db59a5b.jpg
That's me and my brother riding.
1bd75e6179112bef6143e4ddabca98ff.jpg
And my fat boy Bandit. He's not actually mine, belongs to a friend.

#11 Emilyxo

Emilyxo

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1172 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 01 June 2017 - 07:08 AM

fe2354ce20041e641f33d0346db59a5b.jpg
That's me and my brother riding. 1bd75e6179112bef6143e4ddabca98ff.jpg
And my fat boy Bandit. He's not actually mine, belongs to a friend.

Oh my god he's adorable!! I'm always so fascinated by American bred horses! Our natives are Connemaras and Irish Draughts/sports horses.
But coloureds, oh my god you can get paint horses and so many amazing coloureds!! Over here we only have coloured Cobs really!

#12 Mu5tbethin

Mu5tbethin

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 01 June 2017 - 07:40 AM

Off topic but your horse is gorgeous! I adore paints!
♥︎Never call a girl fat because you don't know how far she'll go to prove you wrong ♥︎

#13 thedoctorscook

thedoctorscook

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 08:01 AM

Oh my god he's adorable!! I'm always so fascinated by American bred horses! Our natives are Connemaras and Irish Draughts/sports horses.
But coloureds, oh my god you can get paint horses and so many amazing coloureds!! Over here we only have coloured Cobs really!

Paints are a dime a dozen in my area (Southern US). I think Quarter Horses are the most common, and they do come in a lot of colors. What colors are the horses over there usually?

• Emilyxo likes this

#14 illnevertell

illnevertell

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 June 2017 - 10:28 AM

Off topic but your horse is gorgeous! I adore paints!

Thanks I've actually got 6 of them. :) here's my two boys that I'm currently showing.

7b79d8d0ebeaca90a614ac9b8839141e.jpg

• Emilyxo and Zinnamon like this

----------------------

----------------------

#15 Emilyxo

Emilyxo

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1172 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 01 June 2017 - 10:47 AM

Paints are a dime a dozen in my area (Southern US). I think Quarter Horses are the most common, and they do come in a lot of colors. What colors are the horses over there usually?

Usually we just have greys, they start out as gorgeous steel grey and usually fade into white as they age or fleabitten grey! Connemaras are gorgeous and our native ponies and there is a few bays! Dun Connemaras are a luxury over hear, they're like gold dust and are much more expensive due to their colour! I know ye have a different name for dun but I can't rattle my brain to think of it ‍♀

#16 Emilyxo

Emilyxo

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1172 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 01 June 2017 - 10:48 AM

Thanks I've actually got 6 of them. :) here's my two boys that I'm currently showing. 7b79d8d0ebeaca90a614ac9b8839141e.jpg

Yours are gorgeous, and seem to keep themselves spotless Mine are disasters at keeping clean...

#17 illnevertell

illnevertell

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 June 2017 - 11:11 AM

Yours are gorgeous, and seem to keep themselves spotless Mine are disasters at keeping clean...

haha that's cause I'm only posting pictures from competitions... where they have been freshly bathed and kept clothed from head to hood to stay white!

----------------------

----------------------

#18 illnevertell

illnevertell

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 June 2017 - 11:18 AM

Usually we just have greys, they start out as gorgeous steel grey and usually fade into white as they age or fleabitten grey! Connemaras are gorgeous and our native ponies and there is a few bays! Dun Connemaras are a luxury over hear, they're like gold dust and are much more expensive due to their colour! I know ye have a different name for dun but I can't rattle my brain to think of it ‍♀

We have buckskin and a variety of colors of dun (red dun, yellow dun, grulla etc). But the European categorizes both colors groups as "dun".

----------------------

----------------------

#19 Mu5tbethin

Mu5tbethin

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 01 June 2017 - 11:28 AM

Thanks I've actually got 6 of them. :) here's my two boys that I'm currently showing. 7b79d8d0ebeaca90a614ac9b8839141e.jpg

Can I have them

#20 Zinnamon

Zinnamon

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationNorge

Posted 01 June 2017 - 09:08 PM

yep. Used to compete showjumping + dressage and staying lean enough to still fit on my arabian pony was definitely a motivator. 

That was a long time ago and working hard at the stables helped me recover by taking away the guilt of eating, and instead eating for fuel. 

Now I had a break while studying abroad and relapsed badly. Want to go back to the barn but not recover :s Risking my own health is fine, but Im worried not eating will make me foggy and forgetful which as you know is risky while taking care of horses.. 

On the other hand, yet another + for the equestrian sport is that there isn´t pressure to be skinny like in other sports. Just healthy weight.

H: 5´6(167,5)

SW: 154 (69)

CW: 110 (50)

UGW: 99 (45)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Horse riding, Equestrian, Eating disorders, Challenges, Sport, Horses, Lifestyle, Competing, Ponies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users