Ever feel like your children are in the way of your weightloss? - Parents with ED - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Ever feel like your children are in the way of your weightloss?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Florence91

Florence91

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:51 AM

I love my children to bits, however sometimes (actually every day if Im totally honest) I feel like the only thing standing in the way of a perfect weight is my children. Something always needs to be done, something is always going on, mommy this mommy that, by end of the day my motivation is completely gone. Anyone else feel the same sometimes?
  • Uter Zörker likes this
HW: 182
LW: 114
CW: 132
GW: 110
Height 5.9

#2 Nerys

Nerys

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1635 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:25 AM

Yes! But also because I have bulimia and before I had my son I would just have food for one day in my house. Now I need to have bread, cereal, some candy, dessert in stock and it causes so many binges.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-T580 met Tapatalk

Accountability | CBMI: 16.8

#3 nedra_rainwolf

nedra_rainwolf

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:06 AM

Ask much as I hate to say it yes. I have to make food for them everyday. And they are very active I need to make sure they get enough Cal
  • INkyLV22 likes this

HW: 240 (37.6)

CW: 235 230 (36.0)

GW1:  200 (31.3 bmi)

GW2: 180 (28.2)

GW3: 159 (my Military weight)(24.9)

GW4: 140 (21.9)

GW5: 120 (18.8)

UGW:110+- (17.2)

#4 Guest_lois27_*

Guest_lois27_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:09 AM

Yes definitely. They always seem to need feeding, and you can't restrict  because you need to take care of them and that is so intensive, especially when they aren't in school yet.. 

#5 NeuralSodar

NeuralSodar

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 June 2017 - 12:55 PM

I stay home with my three kids and I basically live in my kitchen. Preparing food for 3 meals a day is terribly tempting. There are several foods I no longer buy, even though my kids love them, bc I would just binge on them until they were gone. I'm starting a fasting experiment bc it seems like not eating at all is easier for me than eating just a little of something. I used to finish the wasted. Food on my kids plates- the last 3 crackers or the rest of their fruit slices. Now I've given myself permission to just throw it away. I hate the idea of wasting so much food, but when I eat it, it just causes me to binge and purge, which, IMO, is worse than wasting.
  • Zirafa and INkyLV22 like this
5'3" and 35 yrs old
CW:130

SW:128.5 (9/27/16)

GW1:120 by Halloween
GW2:115 by Christmas

#6 INkyLV22

INkyLV22

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 11:15 PM

I hate how I think that. Because it's not my son's fault for my ED. And in a way I feel selfish thinking he's in the way. I put him here on this planet, he didn't ask. No I can't purge every meal anymore. Do I get frustrated, of course. Idk I just feel sad and guilty.

5'0....149lbs
21 and parent of 2 yr old :)

#7 Guest_WitchyRose_*

Guest_WitchyRose_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2017 - 09:21 PM

Sometimes. I'm trying to get both of mine to gain weight, so there's a lot of high-calorie food around here, and I'm in the kitchen a LOT. It's really hard for me because I'm trying to lose so much!

And then sometimes my daughter comes to me and says, "Mama, can I share your apple?" and saves me 40 calories.

#8 Yin

Yin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Locationin my jammies

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:37 AM

It is really hard. There obviously always has to be plenty of food in the house for the kids, coupled with stress being a trigger for a binge... very difficult. I try to get mostly food that the kids like but that I don't want to eat, plus my husband does the actual grocery shopping (because I have no self-control). Since I make the list, though, it still leaves a little room for shit I should not have around, and in weak moments I will toss things like chips on the list. In a way, though, kids help, because even if there are chips in the house, I will not be able to eat all of them myself. If I was alone and bought a ton of shit in a weak moment, I would eat it all alone too.

Plus after having kids, my body is pretty disgusting. Not their fault, of course, but it's pretty fucking depressing to feel gross and flabby and stretched out, plus I also have diastasis recti now so I look pregnant all the time because the upper half of my belly just sticks out, and like no matter how much weight I lose it's not even going to matter that much. 

• Uter Zörker likes this

Yin: Dark. Negative. Feminine. Cold. Empty.

- - - 

"A pleasure-ridden torture..." (Faith and the Muse, Heal)

"All of our love rises above the human game..." (Lisa Gerrard & Pieter Bourke, The Human Game)

"My heart and my wish are so far away..." (Lacuna Coil, Wave of Anguish)

#9 Guest_OuiOuiSiSi_*

Guest_OuiOuiSiSi_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2017 - 11:32 AM

Yes. ALL. THE. TIME.

My husband leaves the house early and we bed share, so I can't just get out of bed and workout. I have to stay in bed to ensure the little bub is safe. I work all day, cook, take care of the household chores, and then have to pick up bub after work. 

Husband is easily distracted, so I don't feel comfortable leaving our little one with him for extended periods of time.

I've gained so much weight and can't lose it for shit. Yet here I am...trying...again...after failing...infinite times. *sigh*

• Uter Zörker likes this

#10 Service_6

Service_6

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 July 2017 - 09:05 PM

My main issue is trying to hide my ED from my daughters. they are at the ages to notice things (late elementary and early middle school) and I dont want them seeing this as an example of how life should be. Also my daughter is on a medication that makes her have no appetite and lose a bunch of weight so I have to make sure she eats while trying to not eat everything in sight. I feel so bad because sometimes I wish I could take her meds, but I would never do that because she needs them to function as a normal child.

HW~248

CW~217 and dropping

LW~110

GW~135

5'11"

#11 ♥mimi♥

♥mimi♥

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2479 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 11 July 2017 - 12:59 PM

Yepyepyep. I'm breastfeeding so I can't just not eat. My hubby is in the Navy and away right now so I can't go purge every time I eat either cause someone needs to watch the baby. Its so difficult 😢

🌻

Emma, 20, mother of 2 little boys  :wub: 

SW: 200.2lbs 

CW: 179.8lbs

GW1: 175lbs

GW2: 150lbs

GW3: 135lbs

UGW: ???

#12 Fast.Fading

Fast.Fading

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 01:17 PM

I love being a mum. Having two toddlers is a distraction from wanting food and stops me from binging. My two have large appetites and often ask for food off my plate. Win, win. My partner works away so Monday to Friday I can get away with hardcore restricting. I don't fast though now that I have children.

Back after a hiatus...

5ft2

hw: 143.2lb ~ cw: 105.2lb ~ ugw: 90lb

AN 1997-2005 ~ BN 2005-2010 (Day Patient) ~ Currently Restricting Only

http://www.myproana....ess/?p=37338113

#13 Uter Zörker

Uter Zörker

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:05 PM

Hell Yeah.
Needs,fights and frustration all day long.

Come their bedtime I'm ragged.
Yet I don't want to go to bed bc I'm craving calm and time for myself (If husband isn't needy too and the house isn't a total mess).
So I stay up. Late.
Sleep-Deprivation is my game.
It's like I only exist when I sacrifice sleep and this whole situation sets me up for night-binges :/
  • likes this
5'2, HW normal, LW underweight, CW BMI 19, x

#14 Guest_WitchyRose_*

Guest_WitchyRose_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:20 PM

Hell Yeah.
Needs,fights and frustration all day long.
Come their bedtime I'm ragged.
Yet I don't want to go to bed bc I'm craving calm and time for myself (If husband isn't needy too and the house isn't a total mess).
So I stay up. Late.
Sleep-Deprivation is my game.
It's like I only exist when I sacrifice sleep and this whole situation sets me up for night-binges :/

This is exactly me. My insomnia is part actual insomnia and part "I nEED some goddamn quiet for an hour!" Night eating is a problem for me too. I have to chew gum and keep my hands busy to keep from snacking at night.
  • Uter Zörker likes this

#15 Egoertzen

Egoertzen

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 02:21 PM

I feel like I could have written this. I have 4 kids who always need to eat or always need something! I also love to cook, so cooking 2-3 meals a day is really really hard.

#16 Restrict_rinse_repeat

Restrict_rinse_repeat

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 06:50 AM

Food, cooking, love, and family life are all huge triggers for me as well. My family "loved" with food and simultaneously was afraid of getting fat. As an adult I struggle with "normal" eating and either restrict or binge on everything - there is no in between. When my family sits down to a meal it's terrifying because I can't stop eating until my stomach hurts. Then all I want to do is purge. Can't purge in a 900sq ft home without someone knowing.
Next day same shit because the fam needs fed :( this is far more difficult than having an ED as a single person.

#17 Stella22

Stella22

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 11 July 2021 - 10:07 PM

Everyday is a struggle between wanting to lose weight and setting up the good exemple for my daughter...

5'3 - 23 yo 

Pregnant, second trimester... still panicking over the news !

#18 Meach

Meach

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 August 2021 - 06:42 AM

YES! <--actually screaming that. I am a SAHM so I am actually home literally all day (I live in a crap town with no where to go even in normal times). To save money I cook every meal. I spend so much time in the kitchen that it is killing me. Some one is constantly needing something to eat. Add to that meal planning which is just extra time thinking about food. I spend a lot of time thinking that if I were alone I would have no problem with this. Alas, I was a teen mom so I have literally never been alone in my life (single parent yes, but actually alone, never). Don't get me wrong, I love my husband and kids very much, I am beyond certain that they contribute to making it difficult to loose or even maintain. I am getting better at not stress eating though...so I guess there is that?

Weigh in on Thursdays

HW: 121 kg/ 266.7 lbs

LW: 71 kg/156 lbs

CW: 109.0 kg/240.3 lbs

GW1: 110 kg/242.5 lbs

GW2: 99 kg/218 lbs

GW2.1: 97,0 kg/213.8 lbs BMI Obese class 1

GW3: 89 kg/196 lbs

GW 3.1: 83 kg/182.9lbs BMI Overweight

GW4: 79 kg/174.1 lbs

GW5: 69 kg/152 lbs

GW5.1: 69 kg/152 lbs BMI Normal