Safe equivalents of pica food? - Pica Disorder - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Safe equivalents of pica food?

Pica Safe Heath Dangerous Weird

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Sanguine_Angel

Sanguine_Angel

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1687 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 30 June 2017 - 08:49 AM

(This post is NOT encouraging pica. I have it and sometimes can't really help myself having weird, dangerous 'meals' especially after fasts, so I try to fight it off. Just like nicotine patches are not 100% perfect but give a relief for a while and maybe would get us out of addiction, maybe it would be better to have some healthy-ish go to food instead of getting restless from not ingesting weird things and hopefully stop some day).

How do you guys cope with weird and not always health-wise cravings? Can you distract yourself from plucking hear/skin/other cravings? Or change taste? Or did you do cold turkey and stop? Maybe you do not have pica but still could contribute cause you tasted something that for you 'yuck tastes like pets food/wood/paper/skin/??/hand wash/clay/...'
  • maurin likes this

Spoiler

5ft 8, 21 years old, ISTP

AN B/P d.

whatever

HW: 180 lbs, bmi 28.5 ..=-=-=-=-=-=|-=-=-=.. LW 106 lbs, bmi 16.7

#2 miss.behave

miss.behave

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 30 June 2017 - 11:24 AM

My friend with pica mentioned that necco wafers are a good alternative for chalk (or things with a hard, dry feel)

• Sanguine_Angel likes this

tumblr_inline_mjsdho3udO1roozkr.gif Mada | 17 | Female | ENFJ  tumblr_inline_mjsdho3udO1roozkr.gif

tumblr_inline_mk8r1b7LGP1roozkr.gif i love dnd, podcasts, indie music, journalling, and diet soda. tumblr_inline_mk8r1b7LGP1roozkr.gif

join us on EDC

msg me maybe... i like making friends.

tumblr_malmi0AMfP1qid2nw.gif

#3 Sanguine_Angel

Sanguine_Angel

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1687 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 22 July 2017 - 08:54 PM

Raw carrot leafs instead of paper. In moderation. Sharing because it did stop the craving... For a now. :D

Christmas wafer (the thin one) also reminds me of it, but the texture is a bit different, so it's good for smaller cravigs for me. For greater it only whets my appetite.

Spoiler

5ft 8, 21 years old, ISTP

AN B/P d.

whatever

HW: 180 lbs, bmi 28.5 ..=-=-=-=-=-=|-=-=-=.. LW 106 lbs, bmi 16.7

#4 The Splash

The Splash

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 01:45 AM

I don't have pica, but I know a guy who ended up making edible paper and eat that. Said it wasn't like the real thing, but close enough in moderation.

• Sanguine_Angel likes this

The Splash - Fastest purger alive.

#5 callforbackup

callforbackup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Locationummmmmm.

Posted 23 July 2017 - 07:06 AM

Raw carrot leafs instead of paper. In moderation. Sharing because it did stop the craving... For a now. :D

Christmas wafer (the thin one) also reminds me of it, but the texture is a bit different, so it's good for smaller cravigs for me. For greater it only whets my appetite.

also seaweed (like the type you use for sushi) for paper 

• philophobia and Sanguine_Angel like this

#6 Elphaba

Elphaba

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4415 posts
  • LocationLA Girl

Posted 23 July 2017 - 08:05 AM

I feel like rice cakes might work for styrofoam

• philophobia, Sanguine_Angel, RK800 and 2 others like this

my accountability

my tumblr

last purge: 19 April 2020

last binge: 19 April 2020

#7 Guest_Medic_*

Guest_Medic_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2017 - 06:11 PM

pre-sweetened koolaid powder for sand/ashes

#8 little.dude

little.dude

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3533 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 10:12 PM

I feel like rice cakes might work for styrofoam

I just found these gerber banana puff cereal things and they have the exact texture of styrofoam but without the squeaky noise and obvious health hazards, I love them so much
  • RK800 and 11_ndby78 like this

I see you as the rabbit hole,
Bound to take me places I have never been.
I see you as a new kind of church,
Founded to proclaim that we are not sin.

#9 little.dude

little.dude

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3533 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 10:16 PM

if anyone has a substitute for pop can tabs hmu
  • girlprime likes this

I see you as the rabbit hole,
Bound to take me places I have never been.
I see you as a new kind of church,
Founded to proclaim that we are not sin.

#10 aclockistickingfaraway

aclockistickingfaraway

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 07:19 AM

Anyone with ideas for replacing soap bars? I love coconut soap so much. Glycerin ones also and sometimes i get fancy bath soap bars as present and lick on them when I am bathing (i dont swallow, i just wash my tongue and enjoy the remaining taste of it on my tongue). I would appreciate if someone has found a substitute and could share it

#11 whiskerz

whiskerz

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 2568 posts
  • LocationU.S.-MN

Posted 14 October 2020 - 05:47 PM

Anyone with ideas for replacing soap bars? I love coconut soap so much. Glycerin ones also and sometimes i get fancy bath soap bars as present and lick on them when I am bathing (i dont swallow, i just wash my tongue and enjoy the remaining taste of it on my tongue). I would appreciate if someone has found a substitute and could share it

What about marshmallows? If you put it in coffee or tea it will get more melty and fizzy when you put it in your mouth.
Also, freeze dried fruit works really well for styrofoam!

#12 foxyfoxfun

foxyfoxfun

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationNew England, US

Posted 17 October 2020 - 08:01 PM

This is kind of late, but what about making your own soap. Not technically soap, but finding an edible base and adding cilantro (a lot of people and my dad says it tastes soapy) and from there add some coconut. maybe like a hard gelatin thing? There's also some "edible soap" recipes online. Hope that helps :)

#13 chocolatewaif

chocolatewaif

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 4636 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 09:21 AM

My pica food is Johnson's baby powder and I pretty much haven't had any since the original lock down in March because of cost and accessibility. But I had already been weening myself off of it. At my worst I used to buy the 22oz weekly or the double packs from whole sale places like BJs or Costco. After along while I weened myself down to 15oz bottles max. Then I got myself down to the 4oz or 9oz bottles. Then I got myself down to the 1.5oz travel size with an occasional 4oz bottle and that's where I was at before the lockdown. But I've done pretty well in this time with not being very interested it it at all. And some of the last times I had it it really did taste horrible and not at all as I remembered it. I wouldn't say I'm completely cured, because I have been having some low key cravings lately. But I think I can likely resist out of habit now and I'd expect now that it likely wouldn't taste good. On top of that I'd already been concerned about the health risks. I wasn't inhaling it but I'm sure having it that close to the nose and respiratory system was not ideal. And there's long been murmurs of links to cancer. So I'd been saying for a cool decade I need to quit this shit. 

I'd tried testing out corn starch as an alternative once I but I didn't like it. The texture and experience is off. Plus I've researched that corn starch is a pica food for some people and it also can have negative side effects, like weight gain. That's a hell no, rofl. 

I wanna be special. So fucking special.

Height: 5'5"

Current: 121.5 | Start: 142 | Goal: 120 Ultimate: 110

#14 PsychoticDogThing

PsychoticDogThing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 10 April 2021 - 04:52 PM

I used to follow a blog for neurodivergent folks who have pica looking for safe alternatives to non-edible things - a good trick is to try and imitate the texture of things you want to eat. For example, if you feel like eating paper, a good alternative is seaweed, or rice paper. Or if you want to eat chalk, smarties and necco wafers are good alternatives (that’s what I do! I like sweet tarts candies). For rocks, rock Candy works, and for sponge, something like marshmallows can be a good alternative. Ofc it won’t be exactly the same, but it can def be a form of harm reduction. 

• Sasha_Ascendant likes this
he/him, 27, chronically ill + autistic + psychotic
sw: 201lb, lw: 123lb, cw: 172lb, gw1: 160lb, gw2: 145lb gw3: 135lb, ugw: 120lb

#15 Nodoze

Nodoze

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 May 2021 - 05:13 PM

sunflower seeds are great, they really help with wanting to bite down on something. 

#16 maurin

maurin

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationThe Moon <3

Posted 29 May 2021 - 08:51 AM

There is an etsy shop called queerodditiescandies that makes candy versions of things like candles, aquarium gravel, plastic, clay, foam, soap, and a few other things. I've only tried the foam, aquarium gravel and plastic so I can't say how good any of the other ones were but I liked all the ones I tried although the foam was very wet for some reason and kinda an odd texture but the other two were great. The plastic had a very subtle citrus flavor to it which made it resemble the taste of real plastic somehow 

21, He/They

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HW-335 (BMI 54.1)

CW-idk, in "recovery"

LW-168 (BMI 27.1)

GW-110 (BMI 17.8)

Height-5'6"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DX- BPD. MDD, CPTSD. Bulimia

~Accountability~

#17 Sasha_Ascendant

Sasha_Ascendant

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1432 posts

Posted 30 May 2021 - 04:17 PM

Corn starch packing peanuts. You can crunch them, dissolve them on your tongue, fully biodegradable. And very cheap!

#18 Rockstarophile

Rockstarophile

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 06 June 2021 - 08:44 PM

i eat rice paper and candy cigarettes for paper and chalk cravings

tumblr_mmhqmsJNPe1qimi3zo1_500.gif

//Mentally Ill//NB Man//Hatred and Bile//

The metal artists I listen to do not represent my personal views on politics or religion. Thank You.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Pica, Safe, Heath, Dangerous, Weird

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users