PSA: The use of ipecac and other emetics - Bulimia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

PSA: The use of ipecac and other emetics

• Please log in to reply
195 replies to this topic

#1 BatDuck

BatDuck

your friendly neighborhood anorexic

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14340 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 06:57 PM

POPULAR

Ok, so. Out of those of us who purge, the majority do it via puking (as opposed to lax abuse or exercise). And a lot of us (myself included) have probably considered, if not actually tried, using ipecac or some other form of emetic. However, because ipecac is bottled and is commonly used for medical purposes (i.e. if someone has been poisoned) there is a common stigma that it's safe, or at least safer than purging, right? Here are the facts about emetics.

An emetic is any substance that when ingested will induce vomiting. Saltwater and mustard water are very common. Ipecac is a form of emetic.

These are extremely dangerous. When using a substance like this, it will force vomiting. This means that the actual action is much more violent, and is much more likely to cause problems, such as a tear in the stomach lining, esophagus rupture, and problems with the heart and lungs. This on it's own, is reason enough to not use an emetic, right?

If that isn't enough for some of you to stay far away from emetics, here's where it gets even more dangerous. These substances induce vomiting by forcing your body to completely empty the contents of your stomach, involuntarily. You will vomit until the vomit is done. So, say you're purging with your hands, and you see blood. You can immediately stop triggering the gag reflex and call 911. However, if you are using an emetic to purge, and see blood in your vomit, YOU. CAN. NOT. STOP. You will continue to vomit, regardless of how you try to stop. When this happens with the use of an emetic, it is nearly always fatal. It's not a fun way to go either.

Now, let's say you use ipecac and survive purging. Well, your stomach is now empty. Completely empty. Acid included. This may cause the stomach walls to grind together, which can cause excruciating abdominal cramps.

So, for your own safety, please, please, if you are going to purge, just use your fingers (or purge hands-free if you are able)
Please do not even risk it. One purge is not worth risking your life.

EDIT: credit for the following goes to user sixdollardress
Ipecac (and I believe other emetics like CS as well) is actually even more dangerous than you've described here. While all of the vomiting-related dangers you have described are one thing, chronic use of emetics can also lead to muscle wasting due to build up of the toxin emetine - since your heart is basically one big muscle, this means that chronic use of emetics can lead to irreversible heart damage and congestive heart failure.

EDIT 2: In reference to non-ipecac emetics (i.e. salt water or mustard):
"Sometimes, these remedies did cause vomiting. But they often caused problems of their own. For example, too much salt caused sodium poisoning, seizures and even death. Gagging someone often caused throat bleeding and swelling. Also, these home remedies were never reliable enough to be used to treat poisoning. And complicated charts about what remedy went with what poisoning were confusing."
  • mieux, Antibanana, v3ggie and 116 others like this

#2 Guest_coralpink_*

Guest_coralpink_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2017 - 06:58 PM

Thank you for sharing! I personally don't purge but these things are good to know. Stay safe, everyone<3

• BatDuck, ashlynninheaven, Carrie_Pilby and 1 other like this

#3 Roo-barb

Roo-barb

There is a New Deputy Sheriff in Town

• Super Moderators
  • 12661 posts
  • LocationUnited kingdom

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:20 PM

Not to mention the fact that ipecac stays in your system so every time you do it you're contributing to the amount of toxin in your body.

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk
  • BatDuck, TokioHighway, Deeppblue and 1 other like this
EwkD.png

#4 ghosties♡

ghosties♡

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2417 posts
  • Location[지옥]

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:26 PM

Isn't Ipecac not on store shelves anymore anyways?

• VivianTristesse, Delgado <3, BatDuck and 4 others like this

tumblr_n0eo6kyg3u1r7y61oo1_400.gif?w=560

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* currently revolting *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

early/mid 20s 
female 

#5 the panic/the vomit

the panic/the vomit

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • 1329 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:28 PM

I hope everyone reads this.

• BatDuck, Swifey, Thinlover221 and 3 others like this

Height: 5'2/157cm

Starting BMI: 21.5

Current BMI: 16.2

“No one cares if you die because you’re dead already. Your heart is cold. That’s why you keep coming back here. You’re not free. You need this place, you need it to feel alive. It’s pathetic.”

#6 BatDuck

BatDuck

• Accountability access
  • 14340 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:31 PM

Isn't Ipecac not on store shelves anymore anyways?

It's pretty difficult to obtain, but it's still out there. That's why I included all emetics, because they all cause basically the same side effects.

• TokioHighway likes this

#7 OfficialMelaniaTrump

OfficialMelaniaTrump

Choose your own title! PM Admin or Bibs.

• Validating
  • 10181 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:32 PM

Once again, MsBatDuck is a savior on MPA.

Can we like pin this or what?

• BatDuck, mythics, voguegeh and 9 others like this

#8 ghosties♡

ghosties♡

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2417 posts
  • Location[지옥]

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:35 PM

It's pretty difficult to obtain, but it's still out there. That's why I included all emetics, because they all cause basically the same side effects.

True, I finally just googled it and I found a bunch of ways to buy full vintage bottles of ipecac (no idea if it would still work though) so i'm sure it's easy to find a distributor who has a way to process it currently. 

• BatDuck likes this

tumblr_n0eo6kyg3u1r7y61oo1_400.gif?w=560

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* currently revolting *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

early/mid 20s 
female 

#9 BatDuck

BatDuck

• Accountability access
  • 14340 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:36 PM

Once again, MsBatDuck is a savior on MPA.

Can we like pin this or what?

I asked FluffyPitsPatrick before i made the post if i could have it pinned somewhere; she basically said sure, once she or another mod can read thru it
  • 18lydia and Fire-Elf like this

#10 Eachdaysmaller

Eachdaysmaller

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:39 PM

Agree this should be pinned. Really informative
  • BatDuck and qrgcy like this

#11 madcanadienne

madcanadienne

Stephen King's Queen

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2768 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia🇨🇦

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:48 PM

this is so important

• Thug Doge likes this

"M" - 21 - that pisces bitch

✧ diagnosed an-b/p + osteoporosis 

~ the l in lgbtq+ ~

🏥the dumb girl who needed CPR cause i swallowed
a piece of gum and it got stuck to my NG tube 🏥

5'8" / 173cm

sw & hw = bmi 19.3 (04/2015)

cw = 88.2 lbs / bmi 13.4 
^updated may 7/2020^

lw = 83.2 lbs / bmi 12.7 (04/2020)

gw1 = bmi 14.9 / gw2 = bmi 13.4 / gw3 = bmi 13.0

ugw = invisibility i guess, or bmi 12.3, whatever tbh

http://tellonym.me/madcanadienne

message me if you wanna add me on MFP / snap / insta / twitter !

IMG 0783

#12 Utterly_Horrified

Utterly_Horrified

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:50 PM

Ok, so. Out of those of us who purge, the majority do it via puking. And a lot of us (myself included) have probably considered, if not actually tried, using ipecac or some other form of emetic. However, because ipecac is bottled and is commonly used for medical purposes (i.e. if someone has been poisoned) there is a common stigma that it's safe, or at least safer than purging, right? Here are the facts about emetics.

An emetic is any substance that when ingested will induce vomiting. Saltwater and mustard water are very common. Ipecac is a form of emetic.

These are extremely dangerous. When using a substance like this, it will force vomiting. This means that the actual action is much more violent, and is much more likely to cause problems, such as a tear in the stomach lining, esophagus rupture, and problems with the heart and lungs. This on it's own, is reason enough to not use an emetic, right?

If that isn't enough for some of you to stay far away from emetics, here's where it gets even more dangerous. These substances induce vomiting by forcing your body to completely empty the contents of your stomach, involuntarily. You will vomit until the vomit is done. So, say you're purging with your hands, and you see blood. You can immediately stop triggering the gag reflex and call 911. However, if you are using an emetic to purge, and see blood in your vomit, YOU. CAN. NOT. STOP. You will continue to vomit, regardless of how you try to stop. When this happens with the use of an emetic, it is nearly always fatal. It's not a fun way to go either.

Now, let's say you use ipecac and survive purging. Well, your stomach is now empty. Completely empty. Acid included. This may cause the stomach walls to grind together, which can cause excruciating abdominal cramps.

So, for your own safety, please, please, if you are going to purge, just use your fingers (or purge hands-free if you are able)
Please do not even risk it. One purge is not worth risking your life.

Wow...thank you for taking the time to post this. Ipecac is legit dangerous and should NEVER be used as a purging tool.

I used it once when I was about 16...The cramps were so painful and it seemed like I would never stop vomiting... I felt like abosolute shit for 24 hours afterwards and vowed never to touch it ever again. AND NOBODY SHOULD USE IT FOR ANYTHING OTHER THAN EXACTLY AS INTENDED AND DIRECTED.

(This was very early on in my disordered thinking when I wasn't nearly as deep into the belly of the beast as I am today...
I've never been a consistent purger but it still cost me one of my molars in my mid twenties...)
  • Skelekin and qrgcy like this
"My pain is constant and sharp,and I do not hope for a better world for anyone."

-Patrick Bateman

#13 OfficialMelaniaTrump

OfficialMelaniaTrump

Choose your own title! PM Admin or Bibs.

• Validating
  • 10181 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:51 PM

I asked FluffyPitsPatrick before i made the post if i could have it pinned somewhere; she basically said sure, once she or another mod can read thru it

EXCELLENTE. FIRST LADY APPROVED. 

Not that anyone cares. But I have a role to fulfill k?

• Malenkaya Printsessa, anadaya1988, BatDuck and 4 others like this

#14 BatDuck

BatDuck

• Accountability access
  • 14340 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:08 PM

Wow...thank you for taking the time to post this. Ipecac is legit dangerous and should NEVER be used as a purging tool.

I used it once when I was about 16...The cramps were so painful and it seemed like I would never stop vomiting... I felt like abosolute shit for 24 hours afterwards and vowed never to touch it ever again. AND NOBODY SHOULD USE IT FOR ANYTHING OTHER THAN EXACTLY AS INTENDED AND DIRECTED.

(This was very early on in my disordered thinking when I wasn't nearly as deep into the belly of the beast as I am today...
I've never been a consistent purger but it still cost me one of my molars in my mid twenties...)

Out of likes, but i'm glad you're ok! And thanks for sharing your experience, though I'm sorry you went through it. Where did you even get the ipecac anyway? Online somewhere?
  • Utterly_Horrified likes this

#15 Utterly_Horrified

Utterly_Horrified

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:12 PM

It was over 20 years ago...my mom kept some in a First Aide kit under the bathroom sink.
  • BatDuck, PrototypeHime and To_eat_or_not_to_eat like this
"My pain is constant and sharp,and I do not hope for a better world for anyone."

-Patrick Bateman

#16 18lydia

18lydia

Omniscient

• Members
  • 9368 posts
  • Locationnew york

Posted 12 July 2017 - 09:04 PM

ahh yay you deserve it! such a smart idea to make this post!!

ed35c6c22139afe4af418c8d809f50be.gif

credit for creation goes to http://www.myproana....93-▪-shepard-▪/

VOTE HERE:http://www.myproana....y-please/page-1

Spoiler

#17 BatDuck

BatDuck

• Accountability access
  • 14340 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 09:06 PM

ahh yay you deserve it! such a smart idea to make this post!!

Aww, naaaw, I'm just a vomiting duck who knows how to work a keyboard :3 thank you though

• anadaya1988, Lily Karma and MissDilligaf like this

#18 sixdollardress

sixdollardress

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1276 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 12 July 2017 - 09:27 PM

Ipecac (and I believe other emetics like CS as well) is actually even more dangerous than you've described here. While all of the vomiting-related dangers you have described are one thing, chronic use of emetics can also lead to muscle wasting due to build up of the toxin emetine - since your heart is basically one big muscle, this means that chronic use of emetics can lead to irreversible heart damage and congestive heart failure

If anyone reading this is thinking about using emetics: it isn't worth it. You can recover from an eating disorder, but you can never take back this kind of heart damage and failure. Please leave the emetics alone.

• McCordingly, anadaya1988, PrototypeHime and 7 others like this

giphy.gif

~*~ My Relapse Accountability ~*~

5'7" - HW: 135kg - LW: 47kg - CW: 🐷

“The difference between how you look and how you see yourself is enough to kill most people.” - Chuck Palahniuk

#19 PixelCat

PixelCat

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 9394 posts
  • LocationHiding from Dr Now because de coronavirus did not make me eat dat.

Posted 12 July 2017 - 09:42 PM

Great post!

1e29f5400e95d094ebc759b3fca4f4bd--natali
  • McCordingly, BatDuck, JanJan and 5 others like this
Am I PixelWhore or WhoreCat?

89-D1-B993-7-BD3-4-B01-88-BD-6-A686-EE3-

giphy.gif

My boring stats below. Probably haven’t been updated since the Jurassic period.
Spoiler

#20 BatDuck

BatDuck

• Accountability access
  • 14340 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 09:55 PM

Ipecac (and I believe other emetics like CS as well) is actually even more dangerous than you've described here. While all of the vomiting-related dangers you have described are one thing, chronic use of emetics can also lead to muscle wasting due to build up of the toxin emetine - since your heart is basically one big muscle, this means that chronic use of emetics can lead to irreversible heart damage and congestive heart failure

If anyone reading this is thinking about using emetics: it isn't worth it. You can recover from an eating disorder, but you can never take back this kind of heart damage and failure. Please leave the emetics alone.

Thank you for the info! I knew it could damage the heart, but I haven't done any research on that part of it, so didn't want to include false information. Hope you don't mind that I added your post to the OP  ^_^

• fourelevenkitten likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users