PSA: The use of ipecac and other emetics - Page 3 - Bulimia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

PSA: The use of ipecac and other emetics

• Please log in to reply
195 replies to this topic

#41 Xsalomexx

Xsalomexx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationMiami, Florida, USA

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:58 PM

Would this be the same for bicarbonate?
  • potatoed likes this

Height: 5' ft// 152 cm

Hw: 164 lbs

Cw: 152 lbs

Lw: 118 lbs

Gw1: 115 lbs

Gw2: 100 lbs

UGW: 86 lbs

#42 BatDuck

BatDuck

your friendly neighborhood anorexic

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14355 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 12:09 AM

Would this be the same for bicarbonate?

Most of these factors apply to any emetic; if it makes you puke, it'll probably hurt you.
  • potatoed likes this

#43 Starvinggal

Starvinggal

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 03:20 AM

I also used Ipecac about 20 years ago at age 19 while a freshman in college and after along period a restricting anorexia which was quickly leading into a horrific bout of bulimia. The first time was on a very full stomach of food, after a heavy binge, and I nearly choked as it all came up in a giant ball of vomit. The second time (about a week later) I took Ipecac again, only I hadn't eaten that much (I only felt gulity and that I had) amd that time I vomited literally all day, until I dry heaved. It was scary and I could not stop. I was lite headed and could not keep nothing down at all. I did it a few more times down the road...only when I felt like I had binged on something so bad that I alone would not be successful in purging it, but I wouldn't ever recommend doing so to anyone else. Bad news! And as earlier menitioned...do not think its easily accessible anymore! Nasty dangerous stuff!
  • babibambiii likes this

#44 clarasmalls

clarasmalls

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationHyrule

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:36 PM

Amen to this post!

CW: 130

GW1: 110

GW2: 100

UGW: 90

LW: 82

BMI: 18.5 

#45 Guest_WaitingForTheEnd_*

Guest_WaitingForTheEnd_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2017 - 01:21 AM

I can give a personal little anecdote about using saltwater. Don't do it! It's not worth it because the amount of salt you have to consume to induce vomiting immediately is extremely dangerous. You're fucking up your body on a cellular level when you ingest a large quantity of sodium in one sitting. And the vomiting was not pleasant at all. Not the vomiting was every pleasant but IT WAS AWFUL. One your throat burns from the salt and the acid from throwing up. Two you can't stop for a while. Three you're playing with fire because you could vomit or die (it's a real fucking toss up). Purging isn't good but dammit if you have to purge just use your fingers.

Side note: apparently lots of people accidentally swallow their toothbrushes so be wary of that too
  • BatDuck and Roo-barb like this

#46 diancaee

diancaee

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 02:08 PM

I don't know if anybody mentioned this, but Karen Carpenter died because of ipecac. This article is quite long, so I'll quote:
"In a radio interview taped shortly after Karen's death, Levenkron discussed the autopsy findings: "According to the LA coroner, she discovered ipecac… and started taking it every day. There are a lot of women out there who are using ipecac for self-induced vomiting. It creates painful cramps, tastes terrible, and it does another thing that the public isn't aware of. It slowly dissolves the heart muscle. If you take it day after day, every dose is taking another little piece of that heart muscle apart. Karen, after fighting bravely for a year in therapy, went home and apparently decided that she wouldn't lose any weight with ipecac, but that she'd make sure she didn't gain any. I'm sure she thought this was a harmless thing she was doing, but in 60 days she had accidentally killed herself. It was a shocker for all of us who treated her."
  • BatDuck, PrototypeHime and Engelina like this

[autorun]

open=failure.exe

Spoiler

#47 diancaee

diancaee

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 02:10 PM

The article: https://www.google.r...ia-book-extract

[autorun]

open=failure.exe

Spoiler

#48 Pippa123

Pippa123

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 07 August 2017 - 02:28 AM

I came to this section of MPA because I wanted to ask about Ipecac. I have some in my Amazon basket currently waiting for payday to buy it. I was going to ask if you take it at the end of a binge how long does it take to work?

I 'hear' your warnings but I'm stuck and gaining weight rapidly. I've gained 4 stone in 18 months and am so embarrassed at my rapid weight gain that I never leave the house. I have found it impossible to induce vomiting with my fingers, I just gag and wretch but bring nothing up. I have ordered the cheapest toothbrushes though to give them a try.

I have severe depression, in the past my main purge was exercise but I've gained too much weight now to do any cardio so need to lose 2-3 stone before I can contemplate that. My size and how fat I am is making me seriously suicidal, I can't live like this.

What the hell do I do if I can't induce vomiting myself?!

Whatever is said about Ipecac it's so tempting because it works. I shop monthly so would only use it monthly the once a month so not repeatedly.
HW 238 SW 221CW 143 GW1 133 GWT 126

#49 KittyCaty

KittyCaty

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1164 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 07 August 2017 - 06:28 AM

Geez. Thanks for this info! Lucky i can do it hands free with just cold water nowadays

('Lucky' lol)

CW: 116

HW: 185

LW: 99

"

you taught me I could change whatever came within these shallow days

"

#50 KittyCaty

KittyCaty

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1164 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 07 August 2017 - 06:33 AM

I came to this section of MPA because I wanted to ask about Ipecac. I have some in my Amazon basket currently waiting for payday to buy it. I was going to ask if you take it at the end of a binge how long does it take to work?
I 'hear' your warnings but I'm stuck and gaining weight rapidly. I've gained 4 stone in 18 months and am so embarrassed at my rapid weight gain that I never leave the house. I have found it impossible to induce vomiting with my fingers, I just gag and wretch but bring nothing up. I have ordered the cheapest toothbrushes though to give them a try.
I have severe depression, in the past my main purge was exercise but I've gained too much weight now to do any cardio so need to lose 2-3 stone before I can contemplate that. My size and how fat I am is making me seriously suicidal, I can't live like this.
Whatever is said about Ipecac it's so tempting because it works. I shop monthly so would only use it monthly the once a month so not repeatedly.

Have u tried apple cider vinegar diluted in water? Then guzzle another glass of water fast after? Makes me feel nauseous AS. Lean over the toilet. Press on your tummy. ... if u must purge, its safer to give this a go before ipecac
  • Pippa123, caraphrase and Littlela like this

CW: 116

HW: 185

LW: 99

"

you taught me I could change whatever came within these shallow days

"

#51 BatDuck

BatDuck

your friendly neighborhood anorexic

• Accountability access
  • 14355 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 09:22 AM

Half the time, ipecac DOESN'T work. It isn't guaranteed effective.

Please don't try it (and for the love of god don't use toothbrushes)
If you can't induce vomiting with your fingers, then i'm sorry, but you're out of luck. Ipecac can literally kill you in one go. The first time you try it, it could end your life. Is one purge really worth your entire life?

#52 mandy_mads

mandy_mads

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 04:24 PM

Thank you. This post was very informative, and I learned about dangers which I was previously unaware of. This thread has convinced me to stop looking to buy emetics
I am now acting out disordered eating. I may have to get some help soon.

SW: 132 lbs
GW 1: 127 lbs
GW 2: 124 lbs
GW: Abs for days.

132 131 130 129 128 127 126 125 124 123

#53 Frozen Grape

Frozen Grape

My Next Life..? I'm Coming Back as a Rabbit.

• Accountability access
  • 19758 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand (Nope, not part of Australia, Africa or Antarctica)

Posted 08 August 2017 - 02:38 AM

Great post!! Didn't Karen Carpenter die because of ipecac overuse? (Sorry if this has been discussed I cba reading all the pages!)  

EDIT yes nevermind someone mentioned this above :)

#54 2sxy4myfat

2sxy4myfat

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationBack to work. And it starts all over again...

Posted 08 August 2017 - 10:40 AM

Wow, I never knew all this. Thank you for posting this information-

#55 Odia

Odia

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationMidwest, USA

Posted 10 August 2017 - 01:18 PM

Thanks for the PSA. I've been a regular binge/restricter and sometimes purger since the mid-90's. I guess I've never had trouble triggering the gag reflex when I needed it and so never went looking for strategies to help induce vomiting. This info about ipecac is news to me and I am glad to know this. Scary stuff.

#56 The Flower of Carnage

The Flower of Carnage

NAIGHT BUS

• Accountability access
  • 12034 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 August 2017 - 06:46 PM

Please no one use it.

Tᴀʟ | 25 |Aᴜsᴛʀᴀʟɪᴀ

Lowest BMI: 10.9

Highest BMI: 20+

Current BMI: 12's

tumblr_mnq9nnGReQ1s5bnmao1_500.gif

instagram

ask me stuff

accountability/pics

#57 hospitalsyndrome

hospitalsyndrome

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 August 2017 - 03:09 PM

YES thank you so much. Ipecac is supposed to make you extremely sick because the point of it is is for someone to take it if they've ingested poison. it is made so that you don't die, but that doesn't mean it's safe

io's the name and depression's the game

18, they/them pronouns please & thank u!

insta: hospitalsyndrome

vent/ed/general fuckery tumblr (and kik username): prostheticbody

(stats below)

Spoiler

#58 isolatingdisappointment

isolatingdisappointment

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 07:46 PM

Thank you for this post. It's really interesting to know the different ways people purge, since I've only experience finger down throat method. It's really good to know the dangers as well.

• babibambiii likes this

#59 ethereal-rome

ethereal-rome

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • Location~in my mind~

Posted 02 September 2017 - 11:10 PM

Thank you for this... I looked for ipecac today at Walmart and now I'm really glad I couldn't find any

♥♥♥

​5'8"

CW - 205lbs

GW - 200lbs

UGW - 99lbs (double digits)

HW - 218lbs

BN (diagnosed)

♥♥♥

Accountability *bad at updating*

giphy.gif

#60 Swifey

Swifey